Fun with Photoshop

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
quandelee

Re: Fun with Photoshop

Post by quandelee »

How do I make a jpg images larger and still maintain clarity? I have several jpg images that I need to increase the size of - and everything I've tried produces jagged edges and distorted results. I have Photoshop CS3, and I've searched online for hours looking for a simple list of directions to do this without success. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Last edited by quandelee on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

quandelee wrote:How do I make a jpg images larger and still maintain clarity? I have several jpg images that I need to increase the size of - and everything I've tried produces jagged edges and distorted results. I have Photoshop CS3, and I've searched online for hours looking for a simple list of directions to do this without success. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Save it as a .png instead.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

(Either Niggawatts was being sarcastic or he misunderstood what you meant)

Even with a "lossless" image like .png or .bmp, you only have as much detail as you can fit in the pixels; any increase in size will experience distortions, especially if it is not increased by exactly 2x due to pixels not mapping exactly to the increased area. This is why Photoshop has bilinear and bicubic filters -- they smooth out the pixels to avoid jagged edges. You will still get a noticable decrease in quality as you increase the image's size though.

Since you are using Photoshop, you should ensure that the filtering mode for image resizing is set to something that is not "Nearest Neighbor." Failing that, you are probably still trying to increase the image's resolution by too much, making distortion inevitable. If you're insistent on increasing the image resolution without loss of detail, you will need to create a vector image with a program such as Inkscape that you can manipulate freely. Inkscape isn't a simple, magical solution however; automatically generating a vector image out of a raster image invariably leads to loss of detail, and you will have to do a hell of a lot of experimenting to get an acceptable result.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Alternatively, if you feel like shelling out some cash or being "shady", Vector Magic vastly simplifies the raster to vector process. I'd imagine though that with Inkscape you'd have more control over the final product - maybe a combination of the two is best?
Katawa Shoujo's resident straight male kuutsundere.
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

Caesius

Post by Caesius »

I don't think Inkscape is something you dive into head-first, though. For someone used to Photoshop the interface is, in a word, "bullcrap."
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

If scale up an any image,whether its in photo shop or any image program. Your going to get some stretching if you try to increase the side too much.

-Anyway here are a few sprites that i made.

-The cow boy Kenji i made for one of my posts in 'blooper reel.'

Also the long over do Tenchi Muyo! sprite shops that i said i'd do a long time ago.

-With a number of the charters having either; reviling clothing, pants or kimonos. It make it a bit harder then the other ones to figure out a way to shop these. So instead i went with a 'close' version...i think.

*Lilly-Ayaka

*Shizur-Yoko

*Misha-Mihoshi

Sorry for take so long to make these. I've been kinda busy with some other things and never really got around to finishing this set up till now. The next one wouldn't take this long. I promise you that.
Last edited by Snicket on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

You missed a spot on misha's elbow.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Thanks for pointing that out, i must of missed that.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

I'm going to hell for this... :(

Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Panty Supervisor wrote:I'm going to hell for this... :(
If Rin can make that guitar float in the air, surely she can play it, too? :D
Quidoo

Post by Quidoo »

You know, I actually saw an armless man of sorts play the guitar when I was passing through the London underground. He had a brace on his arm with a pick attached to the end. Admittedly he could only really strum, but I was amused all the same.

Also, he hadn't really lost as much arm as Rin; he had about two or three inches of arm left below his elbow and he had his left arm still in one piece (obviously).
"Leo Burnett and 4Kids are the devil!"
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Lol, I'm sure Rin could beat us all in Guitar Hero
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Should I feel bad that I find the thought of Rin bashing her head against a keyboard and drum kit to be hilarious?
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

me, I'd like to see Rin play the drums with her head and her feet, just to be all "What you got on me, Def Leppard?" :mrgreen:
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY THREAD?!?

Ah, i suppose its partly my fault for letting this idle for so long. I was planning on finishing the list after finals were over with, since they've been taking up most of my time.

Though i do give you credit for trying something different.