Emi's New Sprites

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

OtakuMegane

Re: Emi's New Sprites

Post by OtakuMegane »

The original version is cute as hell. Well I think so at least. But not really suited for the style of KS obviously.

Having a comparison of just the sprites there without background,etc, the new one is definitely better.
Lilly > Hanako > Misha > Yuuko > Emi > Rin > Shizune

<OtakuMegane> sdfgegervdrtt456rth?
<A22> who are you
<A22> yeah fuck it you have otaku in your name
<A22> the dislike just comes naturally
<OtakuMegane> :D
<A22> shu tup
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

Originally I disliked Emi's old appearance, but it eventually grew on me. Thus my first reaction to new Emi was dislike, but after staring at it for a minute i like new Emi better. I do feel, however, that her new look is not in quite the same style as all the others. She also seems sharper and more vivid where the other characters are more muted (probably due to darker lines on new Emi). She also seems to have more detail than some of the others, like rin in the above picture. The result is that her new art sticks out a bit from the others. In short, she is prettier, but she seems to be a little different stylistically and a little higher quality than the others so she sticks out.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
kobe

Post by kobe »

Shades of Grey wrote: In short, she is prettier, but she seems to be a little different stylistically and a little higher quality than the others so she sticks out.
The only solution here is to upgrade ALL character sprites. It's the thruth, you know you want it.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Well, I don't know if she's of higher quality than the others. Next to Shizune, she needs some polish for sure, but she definitely sticks out when next to Rin.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
UNIT0918

Post by UNIT0918 »

Emi's new design is a +1 for me too. Older yet cute look? Do want very much! :mrgreen: I'm not too fond of cliche characters either, so Emi getting out of the obligatory pedo-loli is great. Her H-scenes should be tasty too since she'll no longer be the pedo character for the visual novel.
Seeing that more people are using Valkyria Chronicles avatars, I'll follow suit.
toast

Post by toast »

Shades of Grey wrote:... I do feel, however, that her new look is not in quite the same style as all the others. She also seems sharper and more vivid where the other characters are more muted (probably due to darker lines on new Emi). She also seems to have more detail than some of the others, like rin in the above picture. The result is that her new art sticks out a bit from the others. In short, she is prettier, but she seems to be a little different stylistically and a little higher quality than the others so she sticks out.
I agree.

also, no more little highlights on her cuff things?
<!Aura-> I did a line of powdered fig dust mixed with high grade blow from the ass of a supermodel wearing a Misha kigurumi at the party yesterday

<buckingham> it is not my fault you all have awful fucking taste

[17:42:51] <!Delta_Kurshiva> no fun allowed
dragonloverx

Post by dragonloverx »

Personally I liked Emi the best from the demo version. The cute-ness and her personality, and the puppy eyes that he likes, made you forget that she was living life without normal legs. For a guy who does not have a normal heart I think it was a good way to make him feel more at ease with his new life. Then again I just love cute things, can't help it. But when it comes to the H-scenes I would rather have a more mature looking female, just seems better to me.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Okay, really? Not even counting the fact that the drawing obviously so far looks more like a sketch as compared to the other sprites (which I assume is due to a filter or something in the final stages; I dunno anything about art), am I really the only one who finds the previous sprite far more attractive? And no, I am not a lolicon, as I find Lilly the most attractive of the girls (even in spite of my usual dislike of that hair color).

1: oh god the chin
2: having lost her thinner torso and thus the curves that helped make her attractive, she now has a plain rectangular body structure that, already being present in other paths, is getting really boring
3: her earlobes are wide and attached and, relative to the size of her head, too large vertically as well
4: her hair color is so blinding that her pigtails and bangs appear to form an entity separate from her head
5: all of the folds on her, even including the lines at the back of her knuckles, stand out way too much; two! near her right ribcage even cross onto her wrist
6: her eyes now make her look more loli, not less, while simultaneously looking like she uses too much makeup (which would be unlikely for a girl who expects to sweat a lot), and now have the glassy look of Shizune's without her even needing to wear glasses
7: oh god the chin is going to give me nightmares if she tries the Emi pout

(Not to mention I much, much preferred the old bowtie, both simply because of its appearance and because it didn't look just like Shizune's. And the old cuffs. And the cut...her old uniform was just plain better.)

Is this all just me? I really can't place a single thing I find more attractive about the new sprite and definitely can't see it fitting most of the current dialogue or even Emi's current personality half as well as the old one does.

Post by Guest »

EternalLurker wrote:am I really the only one who finds the previous sprite far more attractive?
You're not. The others are just being more subdued.

By which I don't mean to say "EternalLurker: VN chara designs serious business :roll: " but rather that a cursory skim of the thread revealed to me many other people who preferred the old Emi but just didn't express it with such thorough criticism.

For what it's worth, I'm not too keen on the new sprite either for many of the reasons outlined earlier in this thread (looks sketchy, shading seems too sharp jajaja) but mostly because Emi now gives off this image

[shimmie]530[/shimmie]
and it's kind of unnerving me.
templar

Post by templar »

She sticks out next to Rin because she has arms, and therefore the more detailed bits (elbow, hands) and more area for detail to be shown.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Guest wrote: You're not. The others are just being more subdued.

By which I don't mean to say "EternalLurker: VN chara designs serious business :roll: " but rather that a cursory skim of the thread revealed to me many other people who preferred the old Emi but just didn't express it with such thorough criticism.

That right there.
Sakura Tenshi

Post by Sakura Tenshi »

Well, thankfully for the artists, if I recall there's only one CG to redo Emi in.

But I'm still on the fence on this myself, I mean the new one looks more dynamic and alive, but those are elements that feel should be added to the other characters' sprites as well since they're appearance is a bit more muted. And the style is jarringly different (but perhaps a few filters and editing will help it blend in more) to the other girls and it does seem like she's much taller than she used to be and it could cause some problems since Hisao has made a crack about her height if I recall.
And to be honest, I was a fan of her old eyes, they had a better "hurt puppy dog" look to them, and the chin is a little throwing.

I'm willing to accept this Emi, but it will take time, and in the end, I might end up settling on this new design not being good. Though I suppose in the end, this does work to the path writer who I recall mentioned did /not/ want Emi to just be a token loli character.

Also, are the girls uniform cuffs folded or straight, looking on the Mishimie character sheets, they're all folded, on the uniform reference, they're straight, on the old emi, they're folded, and the new on they're straight.
Maybe I'm just complaining though.
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

I'm glad it wasn't just me, I much prefer Old Emi's eyes.
OtakuMegane

Post by OtakuMegane »

Personally I liked the eyes of the new sprite better from the start. Also, given it still has a bit of a sketched look to it, this new design may "soften" some in the final sprite.
Lilly > Hanako > Misha > Yuuko > Emi > Rin > Shizune

<OtakuMegane> sdfgegervdrtt456rth?
<A22> who are you
<A22> yeah fuck it you have otaku in your name
<A22> the dislike just comes naturally
<OtakuMegane> :D
<A22> shu tup
Ragnarok1991388

Post by Ragnarok1991388 »

Hisao is going to end up with two disabilities when, during one of the H-scenes, new Emi's chin pokes out his eye.
Seriously WTF is up with the chin?! :?
People who like this post may also like: tentacle rape, high pitched japanese moaning, and crying out "no! no! no!" (even though they really mean yes).