Disabled game heroes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

unregistered

Disabled game heroes

Post by unregistered »

Anybody ever played this little game Septerra Core? It came out around 2000 or so for the PC, made by a western studio trying to emulate the japanese console rpg style. The cast of heroes in the game was pretty diverse, but one interesting thing was that several of the player characters were (in a way) disabled. (although it didn't hamper them most of the time) One of them was of a species that was inherently blind. (but used sonar sense to see) Another was a redheaded guy who lost both his arms. (but used robotic implants to substitute) And then there was the army brat with robotic prosthetics. A picture says more than a thousands words:

SirMax

Re: Disabled game heroes

Post by SirMax »

I remember that a while back there was a game with a main character who was born with a genetic inability to feel pain. Dark Sector, it might have been. Nothing else springs immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are quite a few.
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

SirMax wrote:I remember that a while back there was a game with a main character who was born with a genetic inability to feel pain. Dark Sector, it might have been. Nothing else springs immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are quite a few.
You're right, it was Dark Sector. The guy had congenital analgia.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Not really 100% a disability, but Gen from the Street Fighter series was terminally ill and was looking for people strong enough to kill him in battle because he preferred being beaten to death over dying in bed.
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

I don't know why I didn't think of this.

Barrett from Final Fantasy 7 has a prosthetic arm. I haven't played it in years, and didn't even beat it, but I seem to remember him having a regular prosthy arm, and of course, his gunarm. I'm also pretty sure that they went into how he lost his arm, and how he coped with that.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

It was shot off during the Shinra company's assault on his hometown. It left his friend with a similar prothesis.
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Elroy wrote:I don't know why I didn't think of this.

Barrett from Final Fantasy 7 has a prosthetic arm. I haven't played it in years, and didn't even beat it, but I seem to remember him having a regular prosthy arm, and of course, his gunarm. I'm also pretty sure that they went into how he lost his arm, and how he coped with that.
If somebody's prosthetic is also a gun, I don't think they qualify for being called "Disabled." It's like, a law or something.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
Tom Noble

Post by Tom Noble »

I suppose Duster of Mother 3 fame might count, as he has a permanent leg injury due to over training. Then again, he fights using his legs so I'm not really that sure.

Bentley from Sly 3 spent the entire game paralyzed in a wheelchair but still managed to hold his own with a variety of gadgets, bombs, and the like.

Maybe Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 4, considering he lost nearly all of his limbs at one point. I mean damn he held his sword with his feet at one point due to his lack of arms.
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

Captain Niggawatts wrote:If somebody's prosthetic is also a gun, I don't think they qualify for being called "Disabled." It's like, a law or something.
Emi needs to get two machine-gun legs like the girl from Grindhouse.
Tom Noble wrote:Maybe Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 4, considering he lost nearly all of his limbs at one point. I mean damn he held his sword with his feet at one point due to his lack of arms.

Actually, Raiden is pretty much ALL prosthetics. Basically his head and spinal cord are all that's left of him. His arms, chest, legs, everything else are prosthies. So he's probably got the physique of a Ken doll, if you know what I mean.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

guys, badass cyborgs do not count as "disabled"
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Elroy wrote:
Captain Niggawatts wrote:If somebody's prosthetic is also a gun, I don't think they qualify for being called "Disabled." It's like, a law or something.
Emi needs to get two machine-gun legs like the girl from Grindhouse.
Tom Noble wrote:Maybe Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 4, considering he lost nearly all of his limbs at one point. I mean damn he held his sword with his feet at one point due to his lack of arms.

Actually, Raiden is pretty much ALL prosthetics. Basically his head and spinal cord are all that's left of him. His arms, chest, legs, everything else are prosthies. So he's probably got the physique of a Ken doll, if you know what I mean.
Ken dolls do not have hydraulic super-penises, so no, I don't know what you mean.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

grinch delta wrote:guys, badass cyborgs do not count as "disabled"
well, <i>technically</i> they do.
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

well <i>actually</i> they don't.

If they have flippin weapons as prosthetics I don't count them as disabled
visitor

Post by visitor »

Ward from Final Fantasy 8 could be counted along. After the events in disk 1, his vocal chords are damaged and he spends the rest of the game mute, communicating with gestures and expressions even in his function as a presidential aide.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

I'd be willing to bet that virtually all instances are either cosmetic disabilities or ones that are just used to excuse a certain gameplay mechanic (like inability to jump or super drowning skills)