All ages version?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

All ages version?

Post by Aura »

An offhand remark and the following discussion yesterday started to bother me enough to warrant an actual discussion thread.

Would there be interest for a non-H/all ages version of Katawa Shoujo in addition to the normal one? I mean, is there any person (hypothetically) who'd rather want a version without the sex scenes and stuff? Would we reach potentially larger audience?

Converting the game is not an effortless job, I wouldn't do it unless I was certain that it's worth it.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Re: All ages version?

Post by cpl_crud »

Would make my job easier >>

<<

c'mon people! Let's get behind this idea!
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Ice cream

Post by Ice cream »

well.. people that play this genre of games are mostly err.. perverts... and some are only in it because of the CG's but i think this game might attract other people as well because of it's good story so it might be a good idea?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Ah crud, I meant making an alternative version on top of the "normal" one. Your workload would actually increase, as you'd have to edit your path script to remove the H-scenes.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

since when does my path have H-scenes? :p

That's what I meant by deecreasing my workload ....
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Lulz

Post by Lulz »

Since I'm pretty much one of the folks responsible for the "offhand" comment, I'll contribute.

First off, if the sex is taken out, seeing as this is a game about people with disabilities, it could and would reach out to the numerous disabled people around the world. If we cater this game towards them, as well as the original audience with the non-H version, and the perverts with the regular version, we may be able to reach out to a very large audience.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

I am not too fond of going both ways. Do it properly, one way or another. Too many H-games already have problems with non-fitting H-scenes, and if you write them to fow with the story for a change (which is obviously the best way), you shouldn't be able to take them out that easily.
Lulz

Post by Lulz »

But if you regret it after just making either a regular-H version or a non-H version, stuff might happen.

So how about keeping a copy of an uncastrated script, and go with a non-H version first?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

That's not a good idea. If we slap H on top of it, it'll feel out of place.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

no
Lulz

Post by Lulz »

Hmm, oh well. I was gonna say that the tech team could create a toggle button between adult and non-adult, but oh wells.

I don't have any more ideas anyway.

But since this started off as a visual novel, and visual novels are expected to at least have a bit of H on it, then maybe we could just stick to the original plan.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

It wouldn't take that much effort to edit the H scenes into "Fade to Black" situations, allowing us to have cake and eat it too.

Mind you, I think we should stick with an H version for now and go back and release an "all ages" version if we feel like it.
frumplstlskn

Post by frumplstlskn »

MIght as well. Other high profile games have done it, and appealing to a wider audience is really the most important thing. I can easily say that as one who wouldn't have to do any work. It would also decrease the CGs that would be seen, so some non-h ones might need to be edited in, creating more work for the artists.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

I think people are widely overrating the size and type of the audience of this project. Making a non-H version might make it appeal to 600 people instead of 500, especially if the H is actually good. It really is both too generic in type and too specialized in topic to become THE breakthrough game for the English VN market.
Losstarot
Editor

Post by Losstarot »

I'm not really for it, but Lulz makes a good point about appealing to actual disabled people with a non-H version.

Also, I like to think we have a decent audience for this VN and would actual generate a fair amount of interest.
"The eyes of ordinary people could not see it for the real moon was nothing but an invisible full moon to them."