A New Home - Original Characters, Original Route

WORDS WORDS WORDS

ArtemisCain

Re: A New Home - Original Characters, Original Route

Post by ArtemisCain »

Take Two

One would have thought that the bed would have been large enough for us not to have even noticed each other had we not wanted to.

That hadn’t been what I’d been thinking when we had gone to bed, but it soon was.

Rei turned out to be a very difficult person to have to sleep anywhere near. I would never admit such a thing, but I was amazed that someone like her was able to flail around as much as she did.

It wasn’t as if she was having bad dreams. Or any dreams as far as I could tell.

At one point I decided that I had to sneak out of the bed and dig through the various cupboards to find some extra blankets to construct a sort of wall between the two of us. It did mean that I had to give up the covers because she would have rolled straight under my defences had I not been on top of them.

To say that she was confused by what she discovered when we woke up in the morning was an understatement.

“What have you been doing?” She asks, looking at my makeshift shelter. “And why wasn’t I involved in any of it?”

“Because I didn’t need to see what you were capable of when you’re half awake,” I reply. “How do you put so much energy into claiming the entire bed when you’re fast asleep?”

“Ah,” she says. “I’m sorry about whatever that was. I’ve gotten used of having this massive thing to myself. Somehow, my body just knows when the edge is getting too close. Guess I haven’t had time to re-adjust to the company.”

“I managed to survive,” I reply. “It was close at one point, but I managed to finish construction just in time.”

“So it would seem,” Rei says as she topples my little defence line. “We should start getting ready. Don’t want to waste any time waiting around.”

“I thought you enjoyed a late and lazy breakfast?” I say, thinking back to yesterday.

“Not when there are things to do,” Rei replies, looking at me as if I’m insane. “I had nothing to do but wait then. Today, we’ve got places to me.”

It makes sense coming from Rei, but I’m sure most people would be puzzled by the way she understands things.

“You’re right,” I say. “Guide me through the schedule you must have ready in your head.”

“It’s nothing like that,” she replies. “We’ve got somewhere to be, so we need to get there. What happens after that comes later. We can figure that out once we’re there.”

I can’t really expect her to have any idea about what we might do once we get to my place, so I don’t continue with that conversation. The two of us get busy with getting dressed so that we can join the others who are probably already up if the occasional sound that reaches us is anything to go by.

We change quickly. Rei into her next colourful and eye-catching outfit and me back into yesterday’s clothes. Rei offers to lend me something, but I refuse. Her stuff doesn’t quite fit me, which was fine for the night, but I’d rather not spend the day in something that would attract attention even if it wasn’t so ill-fitting.

We then head out into the hall and see that Giichi and his parents are already eating. All of them seen to be wearing the same things as yesterday, though I put that down to their style choices rather than a lack of wardrobe options.

“Morning,” Kenichi says and Tomoko signs something that no-one bothers to translate. The situation doesn’t require it.

“I already ordered something for you,” he says to me. “Your diet means we don’t really have anything on hand for you. It’s nothing exotic or fancy because I didn’t want to wake you just to see what you wanted.”

“Thank you,” I say as we both head over to join them.

Sure enough, what’s on offer is very similar to what dad has been making for me. I didn’t expect them to do anything for me, so it’s a pleasant surprise.

“I’m guessing you’ll want to get back home,” he says to me. “Daisuke can take you, but you’ll have to wait until he gets back. I’m afraid that us getting to work on time will have to come first.”

“Of course,” I say. “You’ve already done plenty for me. I wouldn’t expect you to inconvenience yourself like that for me.”

“I could get you a taxi,” he says, half to himself. “Whatever would work best for you.”

“I’ll wait,” I say firmly. “We’ve got things to do anyway.”

“Yeah,” Rei interrupts. “I’m going to head over to her place for the day. Tonight, as well.”

“Oh,” he replies. “And will you be rejoining us tomorrow?”

He’s not at all thrown by her statement and is already trying to plan ahead. Giichi is now signing for his mother, and she seems equally level-headed.

“I think so,” Rei replies. “I wasn’t going to take all my stuff anyway, so I’d have to come back anyway.”

“It would be unpleasant hauling all of that around,” Kenichi agrees. “You could also head back to Yamaku with Giichi. You could also join them with a little detour.”

This last part is addressed to me, and I now feel a bit of pressure with all their eyes on me.

“That would be a great idea,” Rei says. “Get us all back together for a road trip across the country.”

“I’d have to see about that,” I reply. “I’ve already made enough sudden decisions this holiday that I think my parents should hear about any others before I make them.”

“That’s probably a good idea,” Kenichi replies. “Don’t feel as if I’m pushing you into something. I just suggest these things as they come to mind. The final decision is up to you.”

He really seems to be a nice man. Where does his fearsome reputation come from?

“I hope the two of you have fun with whatever plans you’ve concocted,” Giichi says. “Will anyone else be getting involved in your adventures?”

“Yes,” I reply. “Rei can meet some of my friends while she’s around at my place.”

I don’t want to go into too much detail and involve his parents in a conversation they don’t need to be part of, so I’m keeping it as vague as possible.

“That’s great to hear,” he says. “Won’t that be fun, Rei. I’m sure you’ll have a great time getting to know them.”

Rei has clearly put it together that Giichi knows a lot more than he should about what’s been going on between the two of us, but she’s also resolved not to share more than necessary.

“Of course,” she replies. “If only you could be there to see it. I’m sure it would be wonderful to involve you.”

“Don’t you want to go with them?” Kenichi asks. “Or is it not really possible?”

“I doubt they really need to have me tag along,” he replies. “I’m sure they want to do whatever it is they do when I’m not around.”

“I’m sure,” his father responds. “You don’t always want to have a boss hanging around all the time, even if you are on good terms.”

A very interesting way to put that. Apparently, the work environment is never far from his mind if that’s the conclusion he reaches. I would have expected him to turn to the idea of a boy having to put up with being overwhelmed by a bunch of girls.

Then again, he could be just as serious about life as Giichi is. Personal feelings may not be his highest priority.

“The two of us should get out of your hair,” he continues. “I don’t want to hold you back just so that I can pick your brains. You should get ready, and Daisuke will be back in no time.”

The two of them keep to their word and leave soon after.

“You won’t have too much time to get your things together,” Giichi says. “He’ll be back for you in about half an hour.”

“Give us a moment,” Rei says. “We’ll have everything we need long before that.”

“Are you sure?” Giichi says sarcastically. “I’m sure you’ll end up taking far more that you need to. I saw how heavy those suitcases were when you arrived.”

“I’ll only need the essentials,” Rei replies. “And a few extra outfits in case anything happens while I’m gone.”

I should approve of her preparedness for any accidents, but I’m more worried about the idea that several changes of clothes may be needed.

“We’re not doing anything crazy,” I interrupt. “So, you don’t need to be too well prepared.”

“I’ll take your advice into consideration,” Rei responds, and I have to accept that I’m not going to get anything more from her.

When Daisuke does return, it’s Giichi that lets us know. He’s really mastered the art of communicating with the driver without me seeing how he does it.

“I’ll let you two out,” he says. “I sort of have to.”

He leads us to the elevator and waits for us to board with Rei’s small, but bulging, bag. Once we’re on, he swipes his card, presses the button and steps back out of the elevator before it has time to close.

I’m about to say something before he cuts in.

“See you both again.”

The door then slides shut and we set off on our downwards journey.

“He got us there,” Rei says. “Should have seen it coming though.”

“And I’d almost forgotten how abrupt he can be,” I reply. “He’d been almost normal the entire time we were there.”

“Maybe he just had to remind you to stay on your toes?” she suggests. “Don’t get comfortable and all that?”

It’s possible, but I think Giichi just wanted to get a prank in on us as we left. I wonder what happens if the elevator has to make a stop on its journey.

Luckily, we don’t have to find out as we reach the carpark without picking up anyone else. The doors slide open, and I can see Daisuke waiting in the exact same place as he had been yesterday.

The doors are already open as he steps forward.

“Let me take those for you,” he says as he reaches for our things.

“Thank you,” Rei says as she hands over her bag and heads for the closest seat.

“Dibs on this one,” she calls back. “Around you go.”

I do as she suggests and we’re soon buckling ourselves in place as Daisuke takes his place behind the wheel.

“It should be another pleasant journey,” he says to us. “Not much traffic heading in this direction.”

He knows so much about his destinations and the routes he’s going to take. There must be something up there that clues him in on all of it.

“Doesn’t mean we should waste any time,” Rei calls back. “Floor it.”

“I’ll do no such thing,” he replies. “I may be your driver, but I work for Mr Nakamura.”

“That’s no fun,” Rei says with a mock pout. “I thought he might have been the kind of guy who’d bend the rules.”

I have no idea where she got that idea from but, if you try it with everyone, maybe you’ll get lucky eventually.

Now that does seem to be a plausible explanation for Rei’s attempt.

We make our way out of the underground parking and along the road at a much more sensible speed than Rei might have wished for. Even so, the journey goes by swiftly and I start to recognize things as we get closer and closer to home.

Soon enough, we pull to a stop at home, and I clamber out before turning to see if Rei needs any help.

It looks like she doesn’t, as she’s already pulled herself along the back seat and is swinging her legs out of the car. With her hand on the car body, she pulls herself upright and out of the car.

While I watch this, Daisuke has already gone around the car and pulled Rei’s bag out and is now standing next to us.

“Would you like any more help with this?” He asks.

“I don’t think so,” Rei says, reaching out towards the bag. “You can just hand it over.”

He does just that, and I can’t help but feel that Rei should have accepted his help. The bag is clearly heavy enough that holding it in one hand is difficult. I suppose that I can’t expect Rei to give up all her less helpful quirks just because I’ve convinced her to let me choose who I associate with.

The two of us watch as Daisuke gets back in his car and heads off out of sight before we turn to each other.

“Here we are,” I say. “Not quite what Giichi has to offer, but it’s home.”

“Don’t even try to compare something like that,” Rei replies. “Nobody can match that kind of living. We’re back in the realm of normality now.”

At least Rei is admitting that. She just seemed to find it rather amusing when we were there.

“I cleared it all with my parents,” I say. “But they won’t be here to meet you, so you’ll have to wait till evening for that.”

“The tragedy of work,” Rei replies, more to herself than to me. “How long until that’s us as well?”

“Don’t start on that,” I say. “Now let’s get inside.”

Once I’ve got Rei up to my Room, I offer her some space in my cupboard in case she wants to stop anything she has in that bag from creasing.

She quickly takes me up on my offer and I’m soon faced with a two sets of clothes that anyone would be able to see did not belong to the same person.

“I think I might have to find somewhere else to sleep though,” I say, looking at my bed.

It’s much smaller than the one we shared last night.

“You worry to much,” Rei says. “I’ll be fine in a new bed. That one was just out of the ordinary.”

I’m sceptical about that, but I’ll have to wait and see. Whatever happens, I’ll still have some extra bedding on hand in case I need to make a run for it.

“I suppose I’ll give you the grand tour,” I say. “Though it’s not going to be as good as yours.”

“Lead the way,” Rei says. “I still need to know where everything is.”

I take Rei around and show her where my parent’s room, bathroom, and spare room are. Downstairs, I show her the kitchen, dining room, family room, and toilet.

“That’s it,” I say. “Now you know where everything is.”

“Great,” she replies. “Now I won’t wander where I’m not supposed to.”

I’m not entirely sure how she plans to wander in here anyway.

“Can we get things moving though,” she continues. “I know that you’ve got plans in mind and goals that you want to achieve, so let’s get to it. I’ve got someone to make up with.”

“I’m glad you’re so willing to get to that,” I say smiling, though it’s less at her willingness to do this and more at the idea that she wants to get through it as soon as possible. “I’ll just have to check in with her first. Don’t want to surprise her by just showing up unannounced. She might throw something at you.”

“I thought the two of you worked through this?” She says hesitantly. “That seems like a rather extreme line to take.”

“I’m sure she’ll be just as unimpressed by my idea as you are,” I say. “And don’t try to argue with me on it. I can tell that you’re only doing this for my sake.”

“Yeah,” she says slowly. “I suppose I can’t really hide that after everything we went over yesterday. But you wouldn’t be doing this if you didn’t think there was at least a chance of it working out.”

“Exactly,” I reply heading towards the phone. “The two of you are going to play nice and by the end of it, I’m sure you’ll at least be able to stand each other.”

“Sounds wonderful,” Rei mutters as I start to dial Ritsuko.

I laid everything out to Ritsuko over the phone and she was finally forced to hesitantly accept what was going to happen. It seems like she had hoped to avoid actually having to go through with this, but my determination was something that could not be stopped.

With that, we’re off to her house. I’m determined not to waste a moment.

Once we’re standing at Ritsuko’s front door waiting for her to answer, I turn to Rei.

“She’s just like anyone else at Yamaku,” I say. “You don’t judge them by their disabilities, so it doesn’t even matter that she doesn’t have one.”

Rei doesn’t have time to answer as Ritsuko opens the door.

“Morning Hatsumi,” she says. “Morning Rei.”

Definitely less excitement in the later greeting.

“Morning Ritsuko,” Rei replies.

“See,” I say. “We’re off to a good start already. Now let’s get going. I’m not going to keep the two of you couped up in anyone’s house. We’re going to get moving.”

“Where to?” They both ask in unison.

“I’m not sure yet,” I reply. “We’ll see where things take us and what the mood calls for.”

I want things to evolve as they go. Having anything set in stone won’t help me adapt to whatever might happen as the day goes on.”

“Then I guess we’ll have to follow you,” Ritsuko says. “Can’t take the lead if even you don’t know what you want to happen.”

I set off away from the house and the two of them fall in either side of me. It really is the truth that I haven’t thought about where we might go. We’ll have to stop somewhere for lunch, but that’s still a while away. Until then I’ll be happy with leading them to the occasional shop or small park until something catches my eye.

“I might as well get started as I’m sure the two of you don’t know where to begin,” I say. “Both of you have equally reasonable, but unfair, problems with each other. I’ve also had the same talk with both of you to get past those issues. Now that I’ve had you both alone, it’s time for you to make up.”

There’s a moment of silence.

“I’ll choose one of you to start,” I say. “So, get moving.”

Ritsuko decides to be the one to speak up first.

“Rei,” she begins. “I don’t know your full story, but I may have overstepped with my beliefs about who you are. I wasn’t thinking as well as I should have, and I held things against you that I shouldn’t have.”

“And now you,” I say.

“I based my views of you on someone else,” Rei says. “It was unfair for me to treat you as if you were them, so I’ll try not to fall back into that trap.”

“See,” I say. “Both of you misunderstood each other. Which is stupid, because I think that you’re actually quite similar.”
I can feel them both looking at me.

“You’re also very different,” I admit. “But you wouldn’t both be here if I didn’t see at least some of the same qualities in both of you.”

“Thanks,” Rei says. “But I think you should stop being the therapist. I don’t need one of my friends knowing more about my feelings than I do.”

“Same,” Ritsuko says. “Can we stop with the digging into peoples minds and just act like what we are? Kids on holiday.”

“If you think my analyses aren’t needed any more,” I reply.

“I think they aren’t,” Rei says, and Ritsuko nods.

“Great,” I reply. “Then let’s do just that.”

The two of them definitely seem to be in agreement over this point. It’s wonderful to see them united on something for the first time.

“Are you really interested in law?” Rei asks as she decides to be the one to move the conversation along. “Or has Giichi turned you away from that path?”

“No, he hasn’t,” Ritsuko replies. “Though he has left me with some interesting moral questions to ponder. Do you have any idea what firm his father is involved in? I’d really like to know what experience he was talking from.”

Rei doesn’t speak up to answer this and I assume that she’s just as clueless about it as I am.

“I don’t think either of us knows that,” I reply. “Though, I know his name if that helps? Kenichi Nakamura?”

“What?” Ritsuko asks, stunned.

“You know him then?” I ask. “Guess you might have come across him at some point if you were looking into law, but I didn’t expect that response. Is he famous?”

“I suppose lawyers aren’t really famous. Outside of the legal world anyway. But yes, I’ve heard of him. His firm is one of the biggest in Japan,” she says.

I guess that shouldn’t really be a surprise given what I’ve seen and heard of him.

“I mean, he’s in the running for being the richest lawyer in the world,” Ritsuko continues. “He’s something of a legend.”

“Really?” Rei asks. “He seems pretty normal to me. What makes him so special?”

“He’s very good at his job,” Ritsuko replies. “Most people who get that wealthy off of law do it with massive class action lawsuits. One of those can set you up for life. He’s a defence attorney though, which makes him an abnormality. The investments he must make, along with his fees and retainers, are monumental.”

“But what can you tell us about him?” I ask. “I get that there’s plenty of money involved, but what do you actually know about him?”

“He isn’t a very public figure,” she admits. “But his name comes up very quickly when you start looking a bit. He’s a role model for anyone who wants to follow in his footsteps.”

“What is strange is that he has a nickname that I’ve never really understood,” Ritsuko continues.”

“Oh,” Rei says. “Maybe we can enlighten you since we’ve met the man.”

“It’s got something to do with how he won’t let go of any thread he can find that might tear a prosecutor’s case apart. He’s called the terrier, but I don’t think it’s a very good name.”

“I think it’s excellent!” Rei says with a laugh. “Don’t you?”

She’s looking at me and I can definitely see what she loves about it.

“What’s so funny?” Ritsuko asks.

“Kenichi must have an excellent PR team if, in all your research, you’ve never seen how short he is,” Rei answers. “The man is tiny.”

“What?” she replies. “I’ve never seen that. He looks perfectly normal in any picture I’ve seen.”

“Well, my point stands then,” Rei says. “Right Hatsumi?”

“He is short,” I admit. “Although I don’t know how that can be snuck past anyone.”

“That’s so cruel,” Ritsuko says. “So, they’re just making fun of him with that name?”

“I’m sure some people are,” Rei replies. “But he must be fine with it, otherwise I’m sure it would have stopped long ago. You say he’s quite special. There are ways to squash things like that.”

“Yes,” Ritsuko replies. “But I don’t think it’s usually that successful.”

“Then he’s just being practical,” I say. “He also seems like someone who would enjoy the joke.”

“It really is unfair that you’re the one who gets to know him,” Ritsuko laments. “You really don’t seem interested in going anywhere near the profession.”

“I’m sure things will work out for you,” I say. “I doubt he’d just take a friend of his son’s friend on as an apprentice anyway. There must be a process for things like that.”

“I’d say so,” Rei agrees. “I’m sure you’ll find someone to help you on your way.”

Ritsuko does look hopeful and it’s good to see that Kenichi is a topic that seems to have brought them together a little.

“How about we make a stop over there?” I suggest.

The two of them look over and see the park I’m pointing at. It’s nothing like the ones I’ve been to these past few days, more like your traditional neighbourhood park with swings and a climbing frame.

I’ve suggested it because it seems to be less busy that the few we’ve passed so far. Maybe there aren’t many kids around here?

“I’ll be taking one of the swings,” Rei says. “And don’t call it childish. There’s no reason anyone should stop enjoying a good set of swings. Even when they’re old.

“Why not,” Ritsuko says, shrugging. “You willing to give both of us a push?”

“I better get a turn if you’re both going to do it,” I say.

“You will,” Ritsuko replies. “You’ll just have to wait because you were to slow on the uptake.”

That’s fair. With only two swings it should be first come, first serve.

We all head over into the park and soon the two of them are swinging with the occasional push from me. I’m pretty sure that Rei was looking to get into a competition over how high they could go, but Ritsuko doesn’t rise to the bait, so she calms down.

“I should petition the Student Council to get a few of these back at Yamaku,” Rei says. “It would be a great addition.”

Somehow, I can actually see those two agreeing to something like that. Even if it might not be the most logical idea. It’s the kind of fun they seem to like.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how they get on with Rei? She seems to have just as much energy as Misha while being equally sharp and mischievous as Shizune. It’s honestly strange that they don’t spend more time together. Maybe Giichi and Shizune’s ‘feud’ gets in the way of things?

“I think I’ll let you have a turn,” Ritsuko says. “It’s fun to re-live the past, but it’s not quite what it used to be. Have a go and see what you think.”

Once we’ve swapped places, I agree that it’s not exciting to be swinging backwards and forwards. That doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying it. They motion is quite peaceful. It almost feels like its time to reflect on things as I sway there.

“It has it’s appeal,” I say. “Just different to how it used to be.”

“Good enough for me,” Rei replies.

Shall we head somewhere to get something to eat?” Ritsuko asks. “We might have to do a bit of walking though. We’re a bit out of the way. I think?”

We do indeed spend some time walking before we arrive at the closest mall. I know that there will be several restaurants in there even if I’m not exactly sure what they are.

As we head past the various stores and the occasional restaurant, I spot one that might work. It will be a nice treat to try some Yakiniku.

“Maybe we can try that place,” I say. “I’m sure it’s been a while since any of us went somewhere like it.”

“You’re right about that,” Ritsuko says. “But it might be a bit pricey. I don’t know if I brought that much money.”

“Let’s at least check out the menu before we skip it,” Rei says. “I’d like to have some as well.”

Going over to the window and looking in at what’s on offer, I can see that it is a bit pricey. It’s not overly expensive, but the price is to be expected when so much meat is on the table.

“I think we can manage that,” Rei says. “I think I’ll be eating the most anyway, so I’ll be responsible for most of the bill.”

I’m not sure whether that’s true or if she’s simply displaying her typical lack of care about the cost of things. Whichever it is, it seems to encourage Ritsuko to agree on heading inside.

The place is very much what you’d expect when it comes to Yakiniku. Plenty of tables, each with their own little grill in the middle. The place stretches back much further than I expected so there’s far more space than I would have guessed from the outside.

A waiter comes over to us and leads us towards a table about halfway through the room, before handing us our menus and retreating to give us time to look through them.

“I think we can avoid all the extras and sides,” Rei says. “I come to places like this for one reason.”

She flips her menu away from the various salads and seafoods so that she can focus on the page that is covered in various slices of meat. They come in all kinds of cuts and qualities. Some of them I recognise, others are cuts that I’d have no hope of explaining where they came from.

“Obviously we have to get some of this wagyu,” she says. “I mean look at it. Some of this as well. I’d like to see if we can all tell the difference.”

“I think I’ll stick to choosing one thing,” Ritsuko says, clearly not wanting to blow everything she has on one meal.

“Very well,” Rei replies. “The two of you can decide which one you want to order. The whole point is to share though, so get something different to me.”

We do all settle on what we want to order before the waiter returns. We give him our drinks order as well as the meats we want. It’s upped to five dishes as Rei adds another to it.

“I couldn’t resist,” she says as the waiter walks away.

“It’s a bit much though?” Ritsuko says. “Don’t you think?”

“Frankly, I could have chosen some more,” she replies. “But then I’d be wasting food.”

Ritsuko gives her a funny look and I’m suddenly worried about where this might go.

“Why do you say it like that?” She asks. “You don’t need to burn through money just because it’s there. Why don’t you save it until you need it?”

“I know it might come across as spoiled,” Rei replies. “But that will never happen. My parents have got too much money to throw at me and, when the time comes, I’ll be taking over from them. I’ll make full use of the freedom while I have it.”

I find Rei’s views on everything so fascinating. Most people would be relieved to know that there was a safety net waiting for them. With Ritsuko looking for a helping hand for the future, it’s a complete turn-about to hear someone who almost dislikes the idea that there’s a career waiting for her.

Rei can clearly see what Ritsuko is about to say, because she cuts her off.

“Don’t be too quick to judge me,” she says. “Getting a say in what you’ll do for the rest of your life is an amazing thing. I appreciate what my parents have done for me, but I can’t help but wonder where I could end up if I wasn’t destined to follow in their footsteps.”

“Can’t you make your own choices though?” I ask. “You seem very good at it.

“The business stays in the family,” she replies. “That’s the most important thing. Even I can understand that. With no-one else around, I’m the one who can carry that torch.”

It’s one of the most responsible things I’ve ever heard her say. I have to respect the loyalty to her family.

Ritsuko seems to feel the same way.

“That doesn’t mean I’m not going to have as much fun as I can along the way,” Rei concludes. “Which is why I’ll spend as much as I like when we get together for Yakiniku.”

I don’t think either of us can really argue with that sentiment, so we don’t try to. We instead sink into a moment of silence as we each contemplate the positions, we’re in and where we might end up.

I seem to have the most thinking to do. Both of my friends have a path that they intend to follow. Unlike me.

When the food arrives, I can see that we’re definitely going to be full once we’re done with it. Rei is going to need a lot of help with finishing what she ordered. The portions here are very generous.

“It’s meant to be shared,” is all she says as we begin to grill slices of meat from the plates that now surround out grill.

She’s true to her word on that and I’m somewhat certain that Rei ends up having the least of any of us. It does take some time for Ritsuko to get comfortable with what Rei has done, but she’s eventually taking whatever she wants from the plates sitting between us.

Once we finish our food and have had enough of sitting around in the restaurant, we head to the front to pay. Rei forces us to stick to our original plan of paying for what we ordered before we head out and begin to make our way back home.

The pace is somewhat slower than it was earlier thanks to us having eaten more than we should have. The conversation suffers due to the same thing. All of us feel the need to take some time to recover from what we put ourselves through.

This is another reason why you don’t try something like this too often. I’m not sure I’d be able to handle such a rich, and meat heavy meal as anything more than the occasional treat.

When we’re almost home, it’s time to say goodbye to Ritsuko as we’re about to pass her house.

“I’d suggest you come over for dinner,” I say. “But we’ll be the ones doing that tomorrow.”

“It’ll be good to have all of you over,” Ritsuko replies. “My parents have been talking about how they should have stayed in contact with yours.”

“I’m sure they’ll have a great time catching up,” I say. “We might have to find something to entertain us though.”

“I don’t know when we’ll be seeing each other again,” Rei adds on to our farewell. “But I’m glad we didn’t leave it at our Tuesday meeting. You’re not as bad as I first thought you were.”

“I’ll try to take that as a compliment,” Ritsuko says, smiling. “But I’ll say the same. It will probably take more time than the two of us have together to get used to everything about you. You’re very good at throwing me off when it comes to almost anything you’re involved in.”

“I’d say that’s part of my charm,” Rei replies. “Even if it’s not immediately apparent.”

It’s good to see that the two of them are getting on as well as could be expected. I wonder if what Rei says is a hint at how she deals with everyone. Do they need to be willing to put up with the oddities for her to put any effort into building a relationship? I’m sure it helps weed out plenty of people who might not be that serious about it, but how much complication does it cause?

Friendships are hard enough to make without you purposefully planting obstacles along the way. That’s not for me to judge though. It seems to work for Rei and whatever issues she does have seem to be manageable for the most part.

I’m pulled away from my musings as I realize that both of them are looking at me.

I should really be paying attention to what they’ve been saying.

“I’m fine,” I say. “Just thinking about how well today went.”

“Give it up already,” Ritsuko replies. “You managed to pull off your plan. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

With that she heads into her house, and I’m left standing with Rei in the street.

“You haven’t got time to reminisce yet,” she adds. “We’ve still got some things to do. We’ve got to see if I can make as good an impression on your parents as I’ve managed to do with Ritsuko.”

“You’ll be fine with them,” I reply. “And stop acting as if you’re the one who pulled everything together with Ritsuko. If I hadn’t spent half my holiday working on getting the two of you together, it never would have happened.”

“Don’t pretend that it was work,” she replied. “I’m sure you had just as much fun as everyone else around the occasional serious conversation.”

“Maybe,” I say. “But that doesn’t mean I’m not going to hold it over you for as long as I can.”

“Hatsumi,” she says. “You clearly don’t know me if you think you’ll be able to do anything of the sort.”

When we get back to my house, we’ve got some time to kill before my parents get home.

When they finally do, they’re happy to see that I’m back.

“I thought you might still be off having fun,” Dad says. “Glad that you’re back though.”

“And I’m guessing that this must be Rei?” Mom adds. “I’m glad to finally meet you. We’ve heard so much about you.”

“I’m guessing that not all of it has been good,” Rei says cheekily.

That throws the two of them for a moment, but Dad recovers soon enough.

“I guess things must have worked out then,” he says. “Is my daughter any good at conflict resolution?”

“I think so,” Rei replies. “Though it does come with some tense moments.”

“At least the two of you pulled through it alright,” he says.

“We saw Ritsuko today,” I add. “Everything went just fine between all of us.”

“That’s wonderful,” Mom says. “Looks like all the effort paid off. How was your stay at Giichi’s?”

“Very fun,” I answer. “Though I think that it might would take a while to get used to living like that.”

“I could imagine so,” Dad says. “It’s quite the area.”

“You need to find time to meet them,” Rei says, jumping into the conversation. They’re nothing like you’re imagining. Far more down-to-earth than most people in that position.”

“I’m sure it’s true,” Mom replies. “I can’t see Hatsumi befriending some spoiled, rich kid.”

“Mom. I’m right here,” I say.

“And I need to make sure that your friends are deserving of approval,” she answers. “From what I can see you’ve developed a rather interesting circle, though I don’t think I can really fault them.”

“I can assure you that we mean nothing but the best for her,” Rei replies. “She’s in good hands.”

“I really think that I’ve been left out of the conversation for long enough now,” I say. “Maybe we can move on from trying to judge how my life is going?”

“Of course,” Dad replies. “But don’t be surprised if it comes up again. We’ve got plenty of time to talk before the two of you go off to your room, so I’m sure we’ll swing round to it eventually.”

“I think the two of us will do that right now, while you start getting that dinner ready,” I say. “That way, I won’t have to deal with that for too long.”

“Come on,” Rei says. “I’m sure it will be fun.”

“No,” I say, heading towards the stairs. “You’re coming with me.”

“That’ll just give us more time to think about what we want to ask,” Dad calls after me.

I kind of wish that they hadn’t taken to Rei so quickly, and that she didn’t seem so ready to help them in dig into my life at Yamaku.

They might want to know about everything that’s going on in my life, but can’t they see that I must be doing well enough. Though, I suppose they can’t help it. They are my parents after all.

“They’re nice,” Rei says once we’re up in my room. “I think I could get on well with them.”

“Isn’t it convenient that your hesitancy to make friends with people doesn’t extend to my parents,” I say.

“They’re in a totally different category,” Rei replies. “If I can’t win their approval than being friends with you could become difficult.”

“And why does that only apply to them?” I ask.

“Because they’ll always be there,” she replies. “Friends come and go. Family never changes. It’s best to stay on the good side of your own, and of anyone you intend to be around.”

“So do you actually think you’d get on with them, or is it just that you’ll have to act like you do?” I ask her.

“Maybe I’ll let you in on that one day,” she replies. “Either way, you won’t be able to tell the difference. I treat anyone’s parents as well as they’ll let me.”

“I’ll have to put that to the test,” I say. “We’ll see if you can keep that up if I can get you in a room with a certain foreign couple.”

“The problem there is definitely on their side,” Rei says.

She clearly knows who I’m referring to.

“I think you might be surprised about that,” I say. “They were okay when I last met them. You just need to give them a chance.”

“Okay, okay. I get the message,” she says. “Don’t form opinions on people that you hardly know. Why do you have to be so noble about these things. Rivalries and grudges are just as big a part of school as friendships and romances.”

“You might say that, but the former isn’t nearly as good for you,” I say. “Things would go much smoother if we didn’t have them.”

“You can try that then,” Rei replies. “I think I’ll stick to the way I’ve been doing things until now. For the most part.”

Oh well. We’ll have to see how things go from here. Maybe I’ll spot some changes in her once we’re back at Yamaku.”

< Previous Chapter - Next Chapter >

Last edited by ArtemisCain on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtemisCain

Post by ArtemisCain »

Table for Six

Rei was right about not being as disruptive this time and she manages not to cause any problems throughout the night. I’m also able to get up in the early morning without waking her.

She seems to need the sleep more than me. Maybe she doesn’t usually have to get up that early, or maybe yesterday was more tiring that she let on. It was easy on me, but I should actually see if there’s any possibility of that.

She likes to walk, but could too much of it take its toll on her? I don’t like to pass any judgements based on a person’s condition, but it seems likely to me that such things might take it out of her.

I quietly grab a few things and head out of my bedroom to change somewhere else. She’ll get a little extra sleep and if she complains about it at all, I’ll tell her that a morning of late sleeping doesn’t really matter at the moment. She won’t be missing anything.

Once I’ve pulled everything on in the spare room, I head downstairs to see if anything is happening yet.

The dark rooms and all the closed blinds mean I’m the first person up. Apparently, everyone is tired from the week’s activities, not just Rei.

I wander around looking for anything that might need doing. The place looks clean, but you can usually find a few extra things that managed to stay hidden the night before.

Frustratingly, it seems that four of us were more than a match for any dirty dishes or cutlery as the place seems to be completely spotless. I’ll have to settle for something else to pass the time.

My schoolbooks on the side table catch my eye, and I decide that I might as well get the last of that out of the way. No point leaving it until the last moment or sacrificing time when I could be doing other things.

I sort through the pile to make sure I’m done with the rest. Once I’ve confirmed that, I head over to the table with my maths book and flip on a light. I’ve left one of my better subjects for last.

Time passes as I steadily work through the sums we’ve been given. It’s challenging, but I’ve done it all before. There isn’t anything that I draw a blank on.

Eventually I hear movement upstairs and it’s not long before I see Dad coming down towards me.

“You’re up early,” he says. “And working as well. That’s a shocking turn of events.”

“I just want to get it out of the way,” I reply. “I don’t need Maths hanging over my shoulder as I try to enjoy the last of my vacation.”

“That’s as good enough a reason as any to be responsible,” he says. “You won’t really be able to do it this evening or tomorrow. The weekend has gotten quite busy all of a sudden.”

“You won’t have to prepare much though,” I say. “We’re the guests tonight, so all we need to do is make sure we’re not late.”

“True,” he replies. “I should get something for them anyway. They’re hosting us and we need to apologize for losing contact recently. It’s honesty a surprise that you going off to a different school affected so many other things as well.”

It would seem that I have been a bit of a disruption in everyone’s lives. At least that seems to be coming to an end now. The adjustment period is over, and everyone will hopefully settle back into their old ways. Minus my presence of course.

“What will you be doing today?” Dad asks. “If you do plan to go back to Yamaku with Rei and Giichi, you won’t have much time to do anything around here. Are you going to try and fit anything else into your day?”

“I’ll have to see Rei off first,” I reply. “That might take some time. After that… I’m not sure. I think I’ve done a lot this past week. Maybe I should take things easier for now.”

“I suppose that could be nice,” Dad says. “We could have a bit of time as a family. We haven’t really had the chance to see much of you.”

“Don’t worry about that,” I reply. “You were at work for most of it, so the only things you missed was my sleepover. The rest of the time we couldn’t have done anything together anyway.”

“You’re right,” he sighs. “It just doesn’t feel right to have left you alone the whole time. You’ve been gone for what felt like forever and, now that you’re here, we hardly got to see you.”

“Okay Dad,” I reply, with mock frustration. “We can do something as a family today. Just to make you feel better. I’m not taking responsibility for it though. If you want to be parents, then you can do all the organizing as well.”

“I’m sure your mom will be thrilled,” he replies. “I wonder when she’s going to get up?”

“Leave her be,” I say. “Maybe she’s like Rei. More tired than the rest of us. We can use the time to get breakfast ready.”

“I was thinking omelettes,” Dad says. “Those don’t really keep too well.”

“Then we can at least get everything ready for you to cook,” I reply. “Maybe that will get their attention as well?”

“I thought we weren’t trying to wake them up?” Dad asks.

“We aren’t,” I reply. “But I’m sure even the slightest hint of food will get at least one of them moving.”

“Let’s go with that then,” he says. “Though I’ll tell them it was your idea if they press me.

“You’re the one who’s going along with it,” I reply. “Don’t think you can weasel your way out of any repercussions. As the adult, it’s entirely your fault if anything happens. How am I supposed to know better if you aren’t going to stop me?”

“You really have become a whole lot cheekier since you left for Yamaku,” he says. “You’re almost an entirely different person.”

I pause for a moment to think about that. Have I really changed that much. I haven’t really been away for that long. Only a couple of months.
“What do you think of that?” I ask.

It’s his turn to pause and actually think about what he’s been saying.

“It’s a good change,” he finally says. “You’re more assertive and willing to push the envelope. It will help you get your way when everyone’s trying to shortchange you.”

It sounds like I’ve picked up a very specific person’s approach to things.

“It worried me what might have happened to you after your diagnosis,” he continues. “I thought you might become more reserved. That you wouldn’t want to put yourself out there for fear of what might happen. You had every right to be in a fragile state after all of that, but you pulled through magnificently.”

I’m happy to hear him say that. I knew that they would have been worrying about me, and I’m happy that they feel that it worked out.

“Does Mom think the same thing?” I ask. “She probably wouldn’t have this kind of talk with me.”

“She wouldn’t,” he admits. “But she’s relieved that everything’s worked out. At least that it seems to me going alright. Hopefully we’ll be getting good news soon.”

“Do they really need this much time to look at my results?” I ask. “I get that they don’t want to make a mistake, but they could surely phone you by now.”

“My guess is that they’re waiting until you’re back at Yamaku,” he says. “That’s where you’ll be getting most of your treatment anyway. I think them not saying anything is a good thing. If they were worried by anything they saw, then they would have called already. Hopefully everything is manageable if they’re willing to wait a few extra days.”

It would be nice if he were right. I could get off the dreadful pills and onto something that helps me without ruining my evenings.

“I think you were right,” Dad says, cutting into my thoughts. “Someone’s on the move.”

We both go quiet, and I can also hear something upstairs. It must be Mom as the noise seems too far away to be from my room.

“Are we going to let her in on the conversation?” I ask.

“If you want to,” he says with a shrug. “I don’t think you need to though. She was worried about you, but that’s all changed since we’ve seen how much you’ve grown.”

I’ll take his word for it and not try to drag mom into a conversation about my health and wellbeing. That they’re proud of me for what I’ve done is a very nice feeling. I suppose I can also admit to myself that I’ve done a lot to get where I am now.

We’ve made plenty of progress by the time Mom joins us. It’s not long before Rei comes down as well. I guess she was finally woken by everyone else already being up.

“Morning,” she says as she joins as in the kitchen. “I hope you’re not leaving me out.”

“There’s plenty to go around,” Dad replies. “You look ready to go even though you’re the last one up.”

I don’t think there are many people who’ve seen her when she isn’t fully dressed. I don’t think she owns anything casual besides sleepwear either. I shouldn’t really expect anything else. Especially in front of my parents.

“I can’t intrude on you forever,” she replies.

“So, you’ve already made your own plans?” Mom asks. “I hope you won’t have to rush breakfast.”

“I’ve got about an hour,” Rei replies. “Then Daisuke will be back to pick me up. Hatsumi, what do you think about heading back to Yamaku with us?”

I look to my parents first to make sure that they’re really alright with it.

“A trip with all of you together,” Dad says. “I think it would be great for you.”

“So, you’re sure want me to go,” I ask.

I sort feel guilty about the lack of time I’ve been spending with them.

“Of course you should,” he replies. “I doubt you’ll get to do something like this again with the end of the year coming up. The three of you should definitely do it. We’ll have you this evening and tomorrow morning instead?”

This last part is more of a question based on me finally deciding what I might do with the rest of my time at home.

“Yes,” I say. “I’ll spend some time with you two before I head back to Yamaku with Rei and Giichi.”

“Great,” Rei says. “I’ll let Giichi know and he’ll get in touch, so don’t worry about anything on your end.”

That will make things a bit easier for me, but I don’t really want to heap it all on Giichi.

“Will you help them with organizing things at least a little,” I say to her. “You’ve taken enough advantage of your hosts as it is.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Rei replies. “But I’ll be sure to lend a hand when I get there.”

She shakes her prosthetic arm as she says this which leaves me with the impression that she has little intention of getting involved. The way she hints at this means that it flies straight over my parents’ heads.

“It’s good to know that you’re so helpful,” Mom says. “I’m glad that you’re there to help out when Hatsumi might need it.

I scowl at her because of how she’s managed to win Mom over even more when she’s telling lies that are so obvious to me.

“Dad,” I say. “Rei never has much of an appetite so you can make her a smaller omelette than the rest of us.”

I give her a look that dares her to say anything, and Rei seems to decide that pushing the matter might cause me to disillusion my parents about her behaviour.

Once we’ve finished our breakfast, it isn’t long before it’s time for Rei to go. The two of us head back upstairs and Rei packs the collection of unused clothes back into her bag.

“We need to work on what you bring with you,” I say. “I get having something spare to change into, but this is too much.”

“And I’ll need to work on improving your fashion sense,” she replies. “Look at all of this. I’m guessing everything you left at school is pretty much the same.”

“And it looks good,” I say defensively. “Natural and practical. As clothes should be.”

Rei shakes her head and gives me a mournful look.

“And I had so much hope for you,” she says. “Seeing you in that jacket on Tuesday made me so happy. I thought you were finally coming round to my point of view.”

“That stuff has its place,” I reply. “I just think that that place is reserved for festivals or parties.”

“You better not be calling me a clown,” Rei says. “I’ll have you know that everything I choose is the height of fashion.”

“That may be,” I concede. “But it’s fashion that I don’t think works for me.”

“I’ll win you over somehow,” she replies. “If only you were more willing to wear what I gave you. Then you’d see the complements you’d get.”

“And is that why you do it?” I ask.

“Of course not,” she answers. “I just happen to really like the clothes. Though it’s a confidence booster when people notice you. You really should take my word on it.”

I have to wonder if she’s not just trying to get us to match. I’m not looking for attention so what she said is off-putting if anything.

“You can keep trying then,” I say. “Your argument hasn’t won me over yet.”

“You’re the only one who will suffer for it,” she says with a shrug as she finally jams her bag closed. “Now let’s get back down there and see if he’s arrived.”

I grab the bag before Rei can do anything and stride out of the room.

“Hey,” she calls after me. “Give that back.”

“You’re the guest,” I reply over my shoulder, “So, I it’s the least I can do for you.”

Rei chases me down the stairs and I make a break for the door. Dad and Mom watch what’s unfolding before them with amusement.

As I get outside, I see that Daisuke is indeed waiting there. As punctual as he was on every other occasion.

“Here you go,” I say as I reach him, and he takes the bag. “You must be getting tired of this trip.”

“Not at all,” he replies. “It’s good to do something different from my normal routes. I’ll have to do this a lot more before this journey becomes one I’m used to.”

The way he’s phrased that reply leaves me unsure of what he means so I decide to take it at face value.

“Don’t let her push you around,” I say, remembering our last trip together.

“It would never happen,” he replies, as he turns to put Rei’s bag into the boot of the car.

“Thanks for running off without me,” Rei says now that she’s caught up. “I could have managed just fine on my own. You know?”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” I say. “You can deliver the files next time Giichi needs something done.”

Again, Rei decides that it’s best not to carry on with this conversation. I really am getting the hang of messing with her just as much as she tries to mess with us.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” I say as Daisuke opens the door for her and motions her to get in.

“See you then,” Rei says, succumbing to the pressure of everyone trying to get her moving.

With the door closed on her and Daisuke quickly getting behind the wheel, we hardly even have time to wave to each other before Rei is whisked away down the street and out of sight.

I turn to head back inside and see my parents waiting for me by the door. It seems that they wanted to watch Rei’s departure as well.

“What’s so interesting,” I call as I walk towards them.

“Nothing much,” Mom replies. “Just nice to watch you having fun again. You really were in a state before you went to Yamaku.”

I remember that week after my diagnosis like it happened yesterday. It wasn’t really that long ago when you think about it.

I had been rather morose back then. As if the whole world was about to crumble around me.

“It all worked out,” I say as I reach them. “Yamaku was the right choice.”

I can see that what I’ve said means a lot to her. Dad didn’t think I needed to bring it up, but Mom seems grateful to hear those words.

“I know that it’s not the end of everything now,” I continue. “You can work through almost anything if you want to.”

She doesn’t have anything to say to that and we all head back inside to spend some time together.

Nothing serious comes up for the rest of the morning. Dad and Mom quiz me more about the things going on in my life. Nothing important comes up since everything that we really needed to talk about has already been covered.

They just want to hear about whatever it is that I spent my time doing day-to-day. It’s much like when I used to come home and talk about what happened at school. I suppose that they’ve missed this with me gone, so I don’t mind trying to recall details that don’t really matter to me.

We also watch some TV together. All piled onto the sofa with me squished between them. We hadn’t done that in some time. Mom preferred to sit in her chair off to the side when I had grown a bit too big for all of us to sit together comfortably.

“This is nice,” Dad says as the movie’s credits begin to roll. “Sometimes the little things are the most important.”

“We should make sure to do things like this every so often,” Mom says. “You’ll be gone more and more from now on. Once school is over, you’ll be off to university, and you probably won’t be staying at home for that.”

She is right of course. While there are a few places to go around here, I’ve never really considered them during my brief thoughts on where I’d want to study. Everyone wants to get into one of the top universities in whatever field they’ve decided to pursue and the places around here aren’t really known for anything.

“That’s probably true,” I say. “But I won’t be forgetting about you two anytime soon. These past months have taught me that I’d miss home even if I’m enjoying my time away.”

“Good,” Dad says. “But don’t think we expect you to come back whenever you have the chance to. You have your own life to live and that’s just as important as coming to see us.”

“Just don’t leave it too long,” Mom adds. “Or we’ll have to come find you, and I’m sure you wouldn’t want that embarrassment.”

I wouldn’t mind them coming to visit, as long as they don’t burst into any classes or come looking for me without letting me know. If that happened it could get awkward. I know of several embarrassing scenes caused by parents that want to have too much of a presence in their children’s lives.

“I’m sure we’ll work all of it out as we go,” I say. “There’s no point in planning for things that haven’t happened yet.”

I decide to head out at around lunch time. With my busy week and everything that still has to happen, I haven’t really had any time to myself.

My parents are hesitant about me going off on my own, but I promise them that I won’t leave the neighbourhood. I’m not that worried as I’m certain that I won’t be having any seizures at the moment.

Walking around gives me time to look at the various houses and streets that make up my childhood. We’ve been in the same place since I was born so I haven’t known any other home. Besides my grandparents’ place, of course.

It’s probably not the most exciting neighbourhood, as there isn’t really anything that would grab a stranger’s attention. That doesn't mean that there isn’t plenty for kids to waste their time doing.

The warren of streets and alleyways mean that you can very easily lose each other, so games of tag and hide-and-seek are a very common thing for any young kids.

At one point, I see a few of them run by and I’m hit with a wave of nostalgia. Rei is right about these things. It would probably be fun to revive the games of the past.

I eventually find a bench in a quiet and shady alley to sit on. Hopefully I won’t be disturbed here. It’s way out of the way of any bus routes or shops.

I start to think about how everything fits together. Where I am now and how the past and the future tie it all together.

I’ve definitely changed, but I also feel pretty much the same. Where it all might lead me is another matter entirely. I really do need to find out more about that guidance councillor.

I’m more open than I used to be. More willing to throw myself into things, whether that’s thanks to my condition or my new friends is up for debate.

It’s probably a bit of both. I can’t give them too much credit, but I shouldn’t take it all away either.

I’m staring at the wall across from me, thinking about how I could have done a better job of finding somewhere to contemplate life when a somewhat timid voice calls out to me from the opening of the alleyway.

“Hatsumi?” They ask slowly. “Is that you?”

I look over in confusion. Who would be calling out to me here?

I shouldn’t really be that surprised. There are plenty of people in the neighbourhood that I know, and I was going to run into one of them eventually.

Despite that, I still taken aback by the pair standing a few metres away from me.

“Hana? Aimi?!” I call out in surprise. “What are you doing here? I thought you were away?”

“It is you,” Hana says as she takes a step forward at the same time as Aimi. “We just got back. How did you know we were away?”

“Ritsuko told me,” I reply. “Come have a seat. We haven’t talked in such a long time.”

“Are you alright?” Hana says looking me up and down. “You look fine.”

“I am,” I say as I take in their concerned looks. “It’s all manageable if I stick to everything that I’m supposed to.”

I don’t really want to go into the details again. I also don’t want to scare them too much. They looked worried enough as it is.

“See. Everything’s fine,” I say as I stand up and take a few steps towards them. “Once they got it under control things were nearly what they used to be.”

“So, did you really need to leave then?” Hana asks. “It was a bit of a shock to have you disappear all of a sudden. Everyone in the class was worried that they might be next.”

That wasn’t really the statement that I was expecting to hear from them. Everyone being more worried about themselves rather than the person who was actually in trouble stung a bit.

“How are things since I left?” I ask. “Ritsuko filled me in on a bit, but it would be nice to hear from you two as well.”

“It’s been pretty much the same,” Hana says. “Things were a bit strange without you in the beginning, but we got used to it. Ritsuko took it a bit harder than we did.”

That’s not new. Ritsuko already said as much, but it’s good to hear that other people noticed what was going on.

“So, the three of you have been getting on well together?” I ask.

I don’t mean to pry into their lives, but I do want to know all about it from another perspective. Ritsuko seemed honest with what she’d said, but it wouldn’t hurt to get someone else’s perspective on it all.

I gesture towards the bench again and the two of them shuffle towards it. They manage to stay facing me the entire time, which makes the whole thing a bit awkward. That they’re acting like they don’t trust me is the worst part of it

“What are you so worried about,” I ask them, somewhat heatedly. “I’m the same person as before. Nothing’s changed since you last saw me. I’m just on some medication. I’m sure half the class is taking some pill for some condition.”

“Don’t get upset,” Hana says, as Aimi, who still hasn’t said anything, flinches. “We’re just shocked to see you so suddenly. “The last we heard of you, you were being hauled halfway across the country because you could collapse at any moment, and now you’re sitting here as if nothing’s wrong. We just need a moment to take it all in.”

“Didn’t Ritsuko fill you in on things?” I ask. “I was letting her know how things were going in the beginning.”

“No,” Hana replies. “Ritsuko didn’t really bring you up once you left and anyone that did couldn’t really get any answers out of her. Eventually we all just sort of dropped it. We though it meant that things had gotten worse.”

That sort of explained their reaction, particularly Aimi’s possible fear. She’d always been the most superstitious of us all. Maybe she thought she was seeing a ghost?

“Well, you can see that I’m alright,” I say as I take a step forward and rest a hand on each of their shoulders.

Aimi jumps a little, but I have to make them understand that I’m right here and that I’m perfectly fine.

“I’m going to have to talk to Ritsuko though,” I continue. “Maybe that was how she wanted to deal with things, but it wasn’t fair on either of you. Or the rest of the class for that matter.”

“Don’t get upset with her,” Aimi says. “I don’t think I’d want to talk about Hana moving away if it happened.”

That is a good point. I know that they’re close and I sort of cut my past out of my life for a while. I can’t blame her for doing the same.

“So can we at least talk normally for a while?” I ask them. “It would be nice to catch up with the two of you.”

“Okay,” Aimi says, seeming to calm down slightly.

“Great,” I reply. “How are you doing then.”

“It’s been good,” she answers. “We just got back from vacation and were just on our way to the store together.”

“Everything’s normal?” I ask. “You’ve been getting on with school and your clubs? How’s the tennis team doing?”

“School is the same as always,” Hana replies. “If there was anything to talk about, it’d be strange. The band had a big performance just before the holidays. You should have seen the hall we played in.”

“The tennis team has been winning a lot of their matches as well,” Aimi adds. “But there isn’t really any reason to talk to them when you’re not around.”

I was the sportiest one in the group, so it makes sense that they drifted away from that side of things.

“Sport sort of took a back seat for me as well,” I say. “I didn’t really see the fun in any of the things they had to offer. The band is good though. You might get along with a few of the members.”

“What are they like?” Aimi asks.

That’s got her attention.

“Most are pretty normal, I guess,” I say. “Though it definitely amazed me to see someone playing an instrument when they’re missing an arm or can’t see what they’re playing.”

I know I’ve caused a bit more tension by bringing up disabilities. I don’t know what they were expecting with that line of questioning.

“We don’t usually mind people talking about us,” I say. “As long as it’s well meaning. In fact, I’m sure they’d be happy to know how impressed you are with what they’ve achieved when you see them play.”

“You really don’t feel bad about it?” Hana asks.

“No,” I answer. “I’m sure some people do, but it’s the pity that we dislike. Not the interest. You’ll find that you take these things better than you can imagine when you have to deal with it.”

I can tell that the two of them are getting a bit lost in my speech.

“That’s enough of that though,” I say. “I shouldn’t keep you from your errands. It was fun to see the two of you again. Maybe we can talk some more in the future. Or maybe Ritsuko will give up a bit more information than she has been.”

I step out of the way and the two of them rise to their feet.

“It has been good to see you,” Hana says. “Things might be in a better spot than they were before. Hearing about what’s been going is a bit of a relief, even if we didn’t know we needed it.”

“It was lucky we ran into you,” Aimi says as she nods in agreement. “Do you mind if we let some of the others know?”

Rei would love to hear her asking that question.

“It sounds like you should,” I say. “Let them know that I’m alright.”

“We will,” Hana says, as the two of them begin to leave. “Good luck with whatever come next.”

“You too,” I call back.

I decide that I should probably start heading home now. It wouldn’t be the nicest thing to get home just as we’re about to leave. Being late would be even worse.

That Hana and Aimi have gone in a different direction saves me from the awkward situation of having to follow them as I make my way home, which is something of a relief.

“I’m back,” I call out as I walk through the door.

As I do this, I see that my parents are just enjoying the afternoon quiet rather than trying to get ready well before they need to.

“I saw Hana and Aimi while I was out,” I tell them once they’ve responded. “They just got back, and I bumped into them in the street.”

“That’s a nice surprise,” Dad says. “Were they happy to see you?”

“It was quite funny,” I reply. “I don’t think they really believed I was there at first. Apparently, news hasn’t really been getting through to anyone, so they were kind of surprised to see me looking perfectly fine.”

“Ritsuko didn’t let them know anything?” Mom asks, immediately zoning in on why such a thing could have happened.

“Don’t blame her,” Dad says, coming to her defence. “It wasn’t up to her to be the reporter on Hatsumi’s condition. I think it’s perfectly fine that she didn’t share much.”

“I suppose so,” Mom agrees. “But I’d like to be kept in the loop about what was happing to a friend of mine.”

“Then you would have reached out to them yourself,” Dad replies. “Which they didn’t, so the worry must have been a little exaggerated.”

Dad makes a good point. That they didn’t try to call me or find out what was going on from anyone else would point to things not being exactly as they suggested. Maybe they were just trying to make me feel better about what had happened? That me disappearing wasn’t really something that came to mind for them?

“I’ll have to ask Ritsuko to tell me a bit more,” I say. “She should be able to fill in the blanks for me.”

“Don’t push too hard,” Dad says. “You’ve already tackled one issue with her this week. Maybe leave this one for another time. If there is one, that is. You’ve only got one evening left before you leave. Try not to make it too serious.”

That’s probably good advice. I don’t want to ruin all the progress we’ve already made for something that doesn’t really matter. It would still be nice to have the truth about what’s been going on. Was I missed or did everyone just move on? Does knowing really matter? How will it change things if it isn’t what I thought it was?

“Shouldn’t we start getting ready?” I ask.

“In a hurry, are we?” Mom asks, as she looks up at the clock. “I suppose we can start preparing to go. Are you expecting us to dress up a bit?”

“No,” I reply. “I just don’t like leaving things to the last minute. I’m going to go clean up. It was rather hot out there.”

“You do that,” Dad says. “But don’t go too light on the clothes. The weather report said it’s going to get chilly as the evening goes on. Maybe grab a jacket on top of everything else?”

“Thanks Dad,” I say as I head up the stairs towards the bathroom.

The three of us head out the door with a few minutes to spare. It’s all we need to get over there on time. Mom has a box with an assortment of cakes she bought earlier as a gift for having us over.

We arrive at their door and ring the bell almost exactly on time. It’s nothing to make a big deal out of, but I’ve always enjoyed arriving somewhere exactly as my watch ticks over.

Ritsuko answers the door which means that her parents are probably busy getting everything in order for dinner.

“Good evening Mr and Mrs Nakano,” she says. “It’s good to see you.”

“I know it’s been a while, but there’s no need to be so formal,” Dad says. “I hope we’re not causing too much trouble.”

“Not at all,” A voice calls out, just before Ritsuko’s mom comes round the corner. “It’s been far too long since we last saw each other. “Come in. I’m sure we’ve got plenty to catch up on.”

We all make our way into the house and, as we’re about to turn into the living room, Ritsuko pulls me aside.

“Let’s give them some time,” she says. “It’s just going to be the same pleasantries everyone goes through when they meet again for a while. “We can give them some space and do our own thing while they talk.”

I watch everyone else walk off before following Ritsuko up the stairs.

We head into her room before I decide to let her know what happened today.

“I saw Hana and Aimi earlier,” I say. “They just got back, and we got to catch up a bit.”

“Oh really,” she replies, not really thinking much about what I said. “And how did that go?”

“They were surprised to see me,” I say. “They had no idea I was be back. They didn’t even know how I was.”

“Ah,” Ritsuko says. “I didn’t really pass much along to anyone. It didn’t really seem right.”

“It kind of surprised me,” I said. “It also upset me a bit that they didn’t try to find anything out.”

“You could have called then just as easily,” Ritsuko points out. “You can’t blame them when you’re guilty of the same thing.”

I suppose that is true. Maybe I’m overstating how important it all is to me. I didn’t think about how I could have been the one to reach out.

Ritsuko obviously notices that I’m thinking about this fact because she carries on with what she was saying.

“Things went pretty quiet once you were gone,” she says. “People didn’t make much of a fuss. I don’t really know why you were expecting them to. We weren’t that involved with the whole school. Just us and a few friends really noticed any change. And they moved on pretty quickly once they saw that you had too.”

I’m not hurt by Ritsuko’s bluntness about the whole thing. It’s something of a relief to find out that things weren’t as bad as I’d imagined them to be. If anything, I was being stupid to think that anything else had happened. I’m sure Ritsuko would have said something if things had gotten really serious.

Would she have known though? My own inaction in keeping in touch really is to blame for most of situations in which people are unaware of what’s going on.

“Thanks for pointing that out,” I say. “Why is it always easier to see issues everywhere else but not with yourself?”

“Don’t dig too deep into it,” she replies. “It’s all working out and you’ve already promised to try harder to keep in touch. Maybe you should phone those two when you get back to Yamaku. It might help smooth things over a bit better.

That’s probably a good idea. Maybe I’ll try reaching out to a few other friends that I’ve been ignoring.

I think we’ve gone far enough with that topic, so I decide to drop it right there. I’d rather not force another interrogation onto Ritsuko.
“Maybe we should head back down and see if they want us around yet?” I ask.

“Sounds like a good idea,” she agrees.

She’s just as happy to move on as I am.

We head downstairs and I see that our parents are all standing around with glasses of wine. That means that they’ve finished with whatever they were busy doing, or that it doesn’t require much attention from here on out.

“It’s good to finally see you,” Ritsuko’s father calls out when he sees me. “Did the two of you finish doing whatever it was you needed to run off and do?”

“It’s good to see you too,” I reply. “And we were just chatting. Nothing serious to do.”

“Then I think we can start sitting down,” he says. “Ritsuko, could you help me bring everything through while our guests sit down.”

“Yes dad,” she replies as we start to move towards the table.

It’s already set, and we all take our seats. This has been a common enough experience that we all know everyone’s usual seats, so there’s no need for us to stand around trying to figure out where to sit.

We’re all quickly in our places and watch as the food makes its way out one serving dish at a time.

We can’t tell exactly what it is because the various roasted vegetable come out first, leaving an opening in the tables centre.

Finally, the main dish comes out. It’s a roast chicken, cooked to a golden perfection. I doubt that we’ll all be able to have large portions, but there’s definitely enough to go around.

“It looks amazing,” I say. “What made you go for something so nice?”

“It’s an occasion, isn’t it?” He replies. “You won’t be coming around for a while. We also get to celebrate your health. I don’t know everything but, from what Ritsuko said and what I’ve seen of you tonight, it seems like you’ve pulled through everything that happened well enough.”

It’s nice to hear that they’re thinking about me, even if they don’t know the full picture.

“Thanks for that,” I say. Not really sure what more to say.

“We won’t all be getting together, but you have to come over sometime soon,” Dad says. “I can’t let you show me up like this.”

It’s meant in a joking manner and Ritsuko’s parents agree to do so, even if they do leave the planning for another day.

Once we’ve finished the meal and the evening has gone on a bit, we decide that it might finally be time to get going. There’s still some stuff to do in the morning and it wouldn’t be a good idea to stay up too late.

While our parents say they’re goodbyes, I do the same with Ritsuko.

“This is it then,” I say. “I’m off for at least a few more months. I promise that I’ll keep in touch this time.”

“You better,” she replies. “I don’t want to have to come up there and make sure you’re alright.”

The idea of Ritsuko coming all that way just because I’m not keeping in touch with her is such a funny one that I’m almost tempted to make it happen. It probably wouldn’t be a good thing for our friendship though, so I’ll try to stop that from happening.

As we finish our goodbyes and are ushered out the door, I look back one last time before the door closes behind us and we’re left standing in the quiet night air. There’s nobody around, but that’s to be expected in a residential area like this.

“That was nice,” Dad says. “I’m glad you got us all back together.”

“It wasn’t me,” I reply, but he immediately continues.

“I hope you don’t have too much to do. Have you decided when you’ll be leaving tomorrow?”

“Not too early,” I say. “The journey isn’t that long and there’s no reason for us to get back any earlier than we need to.”

“Then I guess we can leave all that packing for tomorrow,” Mom says. “No need to ruin a good evening with all those chores.”

I can definitely agree with that idea, as it really would put a dampener on things.

The three of us slowly make our way back down the streets and arrive home without saying anything.

We’ve probably said everything we need to for now and are just happy to spend the time we have left tonight in silence.

Last edited by ArtemisCain on Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtemisCain

Post by ArtemisCain »

Back to School Again

I’m up early, trying to deal with the nightmare that is packing my suitcase. I wish I hadn’t unpacked as much as I did, and I wish even more that I hadn’t packed most of it in the first place.

I knew that it was going to be too much when I was first packing it all, and I ended up only using about half the stuff I brought. Now trying to fit it all back into the bag was proving exceptionally difficult.

I could always ask Mom to help, but I’d rather try to struggle through it myself. I was still caught up in the idea of how much I’d supposedly grown in the past months to want to admit that a suitcase could defeat me.

With some difficulty, as well as sitting on it as I zipped it up, I was able to fit everything inside.

Was it bulging around the middle? A bit. Were things likely to come out creased and crumpled? Most likely. But it was done, and I could take a moment to calm down after the frustrating exercise.

I go over the room one final time to see if I’ve missed anything. I’m relieved to find that I haven’t, even checking under the bed for any stray socks.

With all that out of the way, I begin to haul the bag out of my room. It’s not a big bag, but things would definitely be easier if it had wheels. I can walk short distances, but any more than that and my arms a going to start hurting.

Dad and Mom are awake by now, so I don’t have to worry about keeping quiet anymore. I still try to avoid banging anything as I go. I may not need to stay silent, but I’d rather not break anything by going too quickly.

I get my bag down the stairs and to the front door before heading back towards my parents in the kitchen.

“Morning,” I say as I enter the room and see them getting things ready. “What are the two of you up to?”

“I hope you’re hungry,” Dad says. “Because I’ve made a bit more than usual. Can’t let you leave without a bit of a feast.

Last night was something of a feast itself, but this won’t go unappreciated. There probably won’t be much to get on the road so breakfast will have to tide me over.

“I’m sure I’ll be able to handle it,” I say. “So don’t worry about overloading the table.”

“Don’t have too much,” Mom warns me. “There’s something extra that you’ll want to leave space for at the end.”

I get the feeling that they’re not going to tell me what it is, but I have to try anyway.

“What might that be?” I ask. “How am I supposed to know how much to eat if I don’t know what’s still lined up?”

“You’ll have space,” Dad says. “So, eat whatever you want. I’m sure you’ll be able to fit a bit more food in you when we bring the final course out.”

I guess I’m not going to be able to get any hints out of either of them.

We gather around the food at the table and are soon making our way through it. I would normally be more restrained, but I really don’t want to spend the afternoon hungry.

“Have you decided how things are going to work out today?” Dad asks. “How will you and the others be meeting up?”

“Giichi left a message earlier,” I reply. “He said they’d come past our place. No reason to have me go all the way there only to come back this way. It’s only a slight detour for them to come and pick me up.”

“Then we don’t need to rush,” Mom says. “That takes some travel time off the journey for you, though I did see that you’ve finished packing.”

“Not quite,” I reply. “There are still a few odd and ends that I’ll need to gather up, but those will fit in my backpack.”

I’ll still need my toiletries and it would be nice to have easy access to things like a water bottle or tissues. I don’t want to have to go anywhere near my suitcase once I’m on the road. That could just lead to disaster.

“Will we have time to meet your Disciplinary Chairman?” Dad asks. “Knowing only one of your new friends is a bit sad. You think you’ll be able to convince them to stay for a short while?”

“Probably,” I reply. “But they’re not coming for an interrogation. They’re just here to pick me up. Please keep it short and don’t dig around more than you need to.”

“We wouldn’t dream of it,” Mom replies. “We were just fine with Rei, weren’t we?”

“Yes,” I reply. “But she was happy to lean into it. If you try to pry to much with Giichi, you might find that you’re the ones being interrogated soon enough.”

“You make him sound so scary,” Dad says. “Are you sure you’re not all just being forced into doing what he wants?”

“No,” I reply. “He’s just extremely confident in who he is, and not very interested in explaining it to others. More so that most I’ve met. If you try and pry into it and he’s going to do the same. There’s no better way to take control of a situation than putting everyone else on the back foot.”

“I wouldn’t normally want you to have anything to do with someone like that,” Mom says. “Seems too controlling for me. Who knows what it might lead to?”

I want to interrupt, but she continues speaking.

“But I know you’ll defend his character. He seems too principled to try anything weird. If what you’ve said is anything to go by. We’d just like the chance to see it with our own eyes.”

I can’t argue with that. They might not warm to him the same way they did with Rei, but I’m sure they’ll see that he’s exactly who I’ve said he is.

“You two do whatever you want when they arrive,” I say. “Just keep what I told you in mind. Anyway, now that we’ve finished with all of this, what was the surprise the two of you had for me?”

“Okay,” Dad says. “Glad to see you’re still so eager. I’ll be back in a moment.”

He gets up and head into the kitchen. I hear some clattering as he gathers what sounds like bowls and a handful of cutlery.

“You’re heading into the final leg of your school journey,” Mom says suddenly.

Looks like she’s going to use the time she’s been given to give me one last bit of advice.

“I know you’ve got plenty of things that need your attention now,” she continues. “But all of that must come second to your own studies. Don’t try to take on any responsibilities that take away from that. You might want to spend more time with your friends or get involved with as many school activities as you can, but your education and your future are more important than all of that.”

She’s being very firm with her advice.

“I know how important it is,” I reply. “I’m not going to let myself get distracted. Besides the experiences I’m getting involved in at Yamaku will definitely come in handy. How many people can say that they were on a committee the way I can now. Who knows what else might come up?”

“I suppose,” Mom admits. “But that only adds to your resume. If your marks aren’t good enough to meet the requirements for what you want to stidy, then it doesn’t matter what else you have on the list. You don’t get in.”

She makes a good point. I also notice the subtle hint of not knowing what I’ll be doing once I finish school. People seem to be dropping them all the time. Is it going to continue once I’m back at school? I might need to come up with something quickly just to stop the probing questions.

“I’ll try to do what’s best,” I say. “My marks are doing just fine and I’m sure I’ll even get them a bit higher if I carry on the way things have been going. Only a disaster will stop things from going as well as they have been.”

“Don’t even think about that,” Mom says. “Only positive thoughts. I’ll be praying for your good fortune whenever I get the chance.”

Mom doesn’t talk about that kind of thing much, so it’s a surprise that shows just how important all of this is to her.

I’m pretty sure Mom’s done with what she has to say as Dad comes back into the room. He’s performing quite the balancing act with all the bowls and accompanying cutlery in one hand and a few tubs in the form of a small tower in his other hand.

“You got us some ice cream!” I call out excitedly. “And not the normal stuff.”

“Yes,” Dad replies. “You didn’t end up having any that day, so I thought we needed to make it up to you.”

I remember that we got ice cream the day I got my diagnosis. I also remember that it ended up melting in the car. We did usually have some in the fridge, but that hadn’t been the case for the past week. My parents obviously don’t eat it when I’m not around.

“We got a whole bunch of flavours,” he continues. “So, don’t expect to have too much of anything. If you manage to leave some, we could share it with Rei and Giichi when they get here.”

Rei will be very happy with that and I’m sure Giichi wouldn’t mind. Can anyone really turn down free ice cream?

I enjoy the unexpected desert as I spend the last little while with my parents. Before long, the doorbell is ringing which means that the others have probably arrived.

“You two wait here,” I say as I head to the door and pull it open.

Rei is obviously the one who rang as Giichi stands a few paces behind her. He nods as she begins to speak.

“You ready for the trip?” She asks. “Won’t be long before we’re back in our little kingdom.”

Not quite the right analogy to go with, I feel. We’re the police at best, but it is Rei saying it.

“You two able to come in for a moment?” I ask. “Parents would like to see you for a moment.”

“I expected as much,” Giichi says, before turning to signal to Daisuke. “How about you bring your bag out while we’re busy.”

I can see that Daisuke is already on the move, so I’m somewhat forced into doing what Giichi suggests.

The two of them step inside as I heave the bag out and nod my thanks to our chauffer.

“This way,” I say as I step back in.

The two of them follow me towards the sitting room and I take a moment to picture them in my mind. They look much like they always do. Rei is just as my parents will remember her from her last visit and Giichi is exactly as he always is.

I wonder how they will handle his stiff manner and serious demeanour. Will they think it’s that he’s awkward or will they pick up the real reason for his behaviour?

I suddenly worry about what they might ask about Giichi and whether it might wander places it shouldn’t. It didn’t come up with Rei, but it may have been a good idea to go over the etiquette for situations like this.

I can only hope they’re sensible enough not to go anywhere off-limits with the questions I’m sure they’re going to want to ask him.

We round the corner and quickly go through reintroductions before moving on.

“Mom, Dad,” I say. “This is Giichi. Our Disciplinary Chairman.”

“Good morning, sir. Ma’am,” he says. “It’s good to meet the two of you.”

He gives them his customary bow, before waiting for them to take the lead.

“Morning, Giichi,” Dad says. “I’m glad we were able to meet you before you all went back to school. Putting faces to names is always a wonderful thing.”

“Yes. It is,” Giichi agrees. “I’m also glad we get to meet. I must thank you for bringing Hatsumi to Yamaku. She’s been a wonderful addition to the Committee.”

I’m thrown off by his praise for me. I never expected him to be so open from the beginning.

“How come I never got this kind of treatment,” Rei says, commandeering the conversation.

I look at my parents and shrug at their confusion.

“Not now Rei,” Giichi says calmly, before returning to my parents. “What would you like to know in particular?”

He’s pressing forward without giving my parents a chance to guide the conversation. I didn’t expect him to be that direct, but his behaviour at school has suddenly all come rushing back. Even my parents aren’t safe from his business-like attitude.

“Well,” Mom says, trying to regain some control. “I was just talking to Hatsumi earlier and I want to be sure you don’t try to put too much work on her shoulders. The end of the year is coming up and I don’t want her grades to suffer because of it.”

“That won’t happen,” Giichi assures her. “I’m in a similar position and I would never do that to a fellow third year. Even if something were to happen to me, the younger members are the ones who will pick up the slack.”

“Hey!” Rei tries to interrupt again, but Giichi sticks to his conversation with my parents. Rei and I have become nothing, but bystanders.

“That’s good to know,” Dad says. “You seem the kind of person to have a plan for everything. Do you know of a way to help Hatsumi with her plans for the future?”

I want to interrupt now, but I know it will be pointless. In the few minutes that they’ve been together, Giichi seems to have risen to the level of a teacher in their eyes.”

“I trust her to find her own way,” Giichi says. “But we do have some help available at Yamaku. There’s a councillor to guide you through the various options and there is even more help if the issue seems to be any deeper than simple indecision.”

“I was planning to talk to them anyway,” is what I decide to interrupt with. “Now that I know that it actually is a thing they offer.”

“That’s a good idea,” Giichi says to me. “I’ll give you the details to make an appointment when we get back to school.”

“It’s great that you’re so proactive. And professional,” Dad says. “I really wasn’t sure what to think of you based on what I’d heard.”

“I’m sure you can see that everything is fine,” Giichi replies. “Hatsumi couldn’t have landed up in a more responsible position than she did.”

He doesn’t leave any room for argument and my parents seem to know it as my dad turns to Rei. Apparently, it’s easier for him to make an offer to her than Giichi.

“We have some ice-cream to send you off with a little bit of a celebration,” he says. “If you’d like any?”

“Of course!” Rei replies. “Who wouldn’t want an offer ice cream? Though I’m guessing you already had yours?”

This last bit is addressed to me and she’s exactly right. I won’t be having another serving just so that we can have it together.”

“As long as it isn’t any of those crazy flavours Rei would like to bombard us with, I’d like to have some. Please,” Giichi says.

Even Giichi couldn’t turn down such an offer.

Once we’re done, we head out towards the car. Dad and Mom say their goodbyes at the door and the three of us walk towards the car where Daisuke is waiting to open the door.

“There isn’t anything that you’re forgetting?” He asks me as Rei gets into the car.

“This is it,” I say as I hold up the bag I brought with me.

“I can keep that in the front, if you like?” He replies. “Unless you don’t all want to sit together?”

With Rei already in the back and Giichi staying quiet, it’s up to me. I decide to hand the bag over to him as I’d rather not be the one sitting up front.

“Very well,” he says, as we all head around the car.

I hope you don’t mind sitting in the middle,” Giichi says to me as Daisuke opens the door. “You’re the only one who’s really in the best shape to be doing that.”

I suppose it’s only fair. I will have the least trouble trying to manoeuvre myself in and out of the middle seat. Once I’m in, Giichi drops himself into place in similar manner to Rei, only with a bit more care.

With everyone settled in, I decide that it’s not that bad. We haven’t got any extra baggage in the back with us, so the trip won’t get too uncomfortable. We might still need to make the odd stop, but there’s enough space to stretch if any of us do get a bit stiff.

“It shouldn’t be more than a few hours,” Daisuke says from behind the wheel.

I already know that, but it seems to be a part of his routine to tell his passengers a bit about the length of the journey, so I don’t comment on it.

“How does this work?” I ask, knowing that he’ll hear the question as well. “I’d guess we shouldn’t cause as much trouble as we might with our parents driving.”

I also wonder if that’s just something Rei might be familiar with. I can’t imagine Giichi getting up too much on a road trip.

“You do whatever it is you’d normally do,” Daisuke replies. “Unless it might hurt someone. Then I’ll have to stop your troublemaking. And I don’t talk about what I hear. That’s one of the most important parts of being a driver. If the passengers can’t be comfortable in the car, then you don’t last very long in this line of work.”

He says that, but I don’t know how easy it is to believe such a thing. Surely, he’d talk to Kenichi if he heard something troubling from Giichi?

“It’s an idea that my dad is rather fond of,” Giichi says, reading the question in my mind. “Having someone to listen to you who isn’t going to talk about what they’ve heard can be nice. Even if they’re not a therapist or councillor, a driver can do a lot more than just drive.”

That’s an element I never would have considered. Someone who is always there and can hear and see almost everything that goes on probably would have some advice. They also might not say anything about what they see, but I feel certain that they do guide other conversations in the direction they need to go.

“That must be an interesting addition to your job,” I say. “If only I had something like that.”

“You’ll just have to rely on your friends and family,” Daisuke replies. “It’s only a bonus, not a necessity.”

“How does that work with Tomoko?” Rei asks.

“Unfortunately, she can’t really benefit in the same way,” Daisuke answers. “She can talk in her own way, but I can’t answer her. I do understand enough to do what she wants, though my eyes and hands are occupied with driving.”

I feel a little sorry for her. It’s something the rest of the family can do that she can’t. Maybe it’s not so bad when you’re used to not being able to communicate with everyone.”

“Thanks for the explanation, Daisuke,” Rei says, interrupting my thoughts. “But now it’s time for us to do some talking, so you better be telling the truth about not snitching. I can’t promise that something juicy won’t come up.”

She does make things dramatic.

The drive is uneventful for some time. There isn’t much to see around us and the discussions are rather mundane. Rei hasn’t yet been able to unearth anything ‘juicy’.

We do eventually decide to stop for a little break to see if we can get anything to drink or snack on. I don’t really need it, but we might find something nice at this shopping centre. It one of the last places we’re likely to find much at. The roads will be getting much less crowded by buildings from here on out.

We head inside and ignore the few restaurants that are dotted around the place. That isn’t the kind of food that we’re looking for. A moderately sized convenience store looks to offer the best hopes of having what we want.

I look around while the others do the same. Food isn’t really something that’s on my mind. Most of what they have here wouldn’t work for me anyway, but I do grab a bottle of water as well as some fruit juice to keep me going.

I join the others at the till and see that they’ve both got a coffee. Rei also has some chocolate while Giichi has a pair of onigiri. They probably didn’t have the type of breakfast I did.

“You sure that’ll be good enough for you?” I ask Rei. “Nothing a bit more filling? Or healthy?”

“I’ll be fine,” Rei replies. “That ice cream put me in the mood for even more sugar.”

We head back through the way we came and out towards the car. Giichi stays silent the whole way.

“You alright?” I ask him. “I know you’re not the chatty type, but this is extreme. Even for you.”

“Sorry,” he says with a start.

He seemed to be deep in thought.

“I thought I felt a tweak while I was walking around, but it seems to be fine now,” he continues.

“Are you sure?” I ask, suddenly concerned for how he’s doing. “Do you need anything?”

“As I said, I’m feeling fine now,” he replies. “I think I’ll go see the nurse once we get back. Maybe you shouldn’t be the only one getting checked up before we start school again.”

It’s either a lot more serious that I thought, or Giichi is remembering whatever he went through in the past for him to compare his situation to what I’m in the middle of. I hope it’s the later, because I don’t really want to believe that his situation is so much worse than he makes it seem.

“When was the last time you felt anything like that?” Rei asks him. “Was it recent?”

She must have a bit more knowledge about his case to be asking questions like that. I remember him telling me what to do if anything happened to him, but we never talked about his condition again.

“It’s been a long time,” he replies. “That’s why I’ll be fine for now. If things go wrong, they tend to build up to it.”

Their conversation does little to reassure me as each piece only seems to make things worse in my imagination.

“I’m fine,” he reassures me. “I’m fragile and things tend to creak every so often. The pain is annoying, but it doesn’t lead to anything. It’s just something I have to live with.”

I’ll have to take his word for it.

We’re back in the car and on our way again when Daisuke speaks up.

“What’s wrong?” he asks.

He would notice the change in atmosphere.

I’m the one mostly responsible for that as the other two still seem rather unconcerned over what may or may not be a problem.

“I think I had a tweak in the shop,” Giichi replies. “I’ll get it checked out when we get there.”

“And you’re sure it’s nothing serious?” he asks, looking back at Giichi through the rearview mirror.”

“Everything should be fine,” Giichi replies. “I haven’t had any trouble in a while.”

That seems to settle Daisuke and I must admit that I might be overthinking things. The others seem to believe everything is fine and they know more about it than I do. I’m not really sure what to say though. It would be great if someone else could get the conversation started again.

When it seems like that isn’t going to happen, I decide to ask Giichi some questions that have been coming to mind over the past few days.

“How is the rest of the year going to go?” I ask. “I have a rough idea of how things were at my old school, but is Yamaku any different?”

“We’ve only got a few more weeks until out final exams start,” he replies. Lessons should be coming to an end soon as the teachers get us ready for them. Then we’ve got a few weeks of exams, before we end up at the last week of school. That’s mostly for saying goodbye. Many people may never meet each other again.”

It’s much like it would have been for me if I hadn’t switched schools then. Giichi’s wording hints at the possibility of other reasons for not meeting friends ever again. I suppose that is a feature of Yamaku that probably isn’t thought about anywhere else.

“I suppose not everyone can make it through what happened to them,” I say. “Do you know anyone like that?”

This is territory I haven’t explored yet. I’ve known that there are plenty of students who are lucky to be alive, but I haven’t thought about how quickly things can change. My own scare back at High Tea should have been a warning.

Maybe I should talk to Cho and Nanami about that. They might have been thinking the worst when my seizure happened.

“Not personally,” Giichi says. “And news doesn’t usually come back to you from people who leave. Unless you knew them personally. There was someone who didn’t want to wait for their disability to take them. That was a shock for everyone.”

I can’t believe what Giichi just said.

“Are you saying someone killed themselves?” I ask.

“Yes,” he replies sombrely. “Everyone heard about it, and they spent a lot of time talking to us about it. Plenty of people ended up in counselling as well. I think they were worried that the idea might spread.”

That’s a terrible way to look at things, but I can understand the thinking. I hadn’t gone anywhere near such thoughts, but I’m sure it’s easy for someone who thinks they’ve lost everything to end up there.

“Someone in my class passed away,” Rei says. “You wouldn’t have seen it coming . One day they just didn’t come to class and the teacher let us know what had happened. No details. Just that we wouldn’t be seeing him again.”

I can’t really imagine what that must be like. For someone to disappear without any warning.

Forever.

“But it doesn’t happen that often, does it?” I ask. “It hasn’t happened since I arrived.”

“No,” Rei admits. “Most people could tell you when something like that happened, but they’ll probably all be telling one of a couple of stories. Life threatening disabilities are definitely in the minority at Yamaku, so most of us make it through without any trouble.”

That’s one positive view to take on the situation. I should hopefully find myself on that side of things once I get my results tomorrow.

“I’d wouldn’t recommend sticking to that topic anymore,” Daisuke calls back to us. “That’s an aspect of life that it’s better not to think about unless you really have to. As far as I can tell, none of you are there yet.”

I appreciate him trying to steer the conversation somewhere else, but it’s hard to do so when you’ve just been talking about the deaths of your fellow students. Maybe some time in silence to let things mellow down will do us some good.

Rei and Giichi both seem to have faced the issue and come out of it relatively unscathed. I suppose they have had time to think about it for themselves. It didn’t sound like the things they’d experienced had been recent.

I try to put myself in the same position. It might help me to see things better.

I’m not sure that it does.

The best comparison I can make is with my own arrival at Yamaku and the lack of contact with anyone from before then.

What they said might also have given me a better understanding of Hana and Aimi’s reactions to seeing me. I could very well have been one of those to die. Never to be heard of again. It’s a disturbing thought, and it’s one that I really feel the need to apologize for.

I may be overthinking it, but I’d rather try to make sure that I haven’t left any bad memories behind than ignore the possibility.

I’ve been staring past Rei or Giichi to take in the scenery as we continue our drive. First, we left the city and the larger town. Then we were onto the highway for much of the journey. There wasn’t much to see except the stream of cars around us and the trees on either side.

Finally, we break off from the highway and start to make our way through the series of small towns and mountain road that leads to Yamaku. The occasional house and roadside stand pop up as we go.

We transition from these to a moderately sized town and back to empty roads as we get closer and closer to Yamaku.

Finally, we arrive at a point that I recognise. It won’t be long before we’re climbing the hill towards the school itself.

We arrive at about mid-afternoon, and I find that it’s less busy than I thought it would be. It looks like a lot of people arrived earlier in the day as the paths and lawns have far more students on them than are in the parking lot.

It’s an unusual sight to see so many of the students out of their school uniforms. There are usually a number of them in their own clothes over the weekend, but you’ll usually see a few that have chosen to stay in uniform. There are none of those at the moment. They’re all trying to enjoy the last few hours of their vacation even if they’re already back at school.

We pull into a bay as close to the school as possible. There are only a couple of cars between us and the gate leading to the pathway.

Daisuke jumps out of the car to help Rei out before heading around to open the door for Giichi.

I’ve already climbed out after Rei by the time he’s out of the car.

We move around to the boot of the car to retrieve our luggage. As it opens, I see that there are only two bags in there.

“I didn’t need to take anything home with me,” Giichi says. “Everything I needed was already there.”

That makes sense. No need to carry something heavy across the school, when he’s in a position to keep things here and at home.

“Would you like any help with that,” Daisuke asks. “They are rather heavy.”

I’m about to refuse his request since there will be a number of complications in getting to my room. I also don’t want to take any more advantage of him than we have already.

I don’t get the chance to because Rei accepts his offer.

“That would be a massive help,” she says. “I’ll lead the way for you.”

I can see how she might need the help, though I don’t know if that’s entirely true. If she made it out of Yamaku with all that stuff that she should be able to make to back to her room without help. Maybe she wasn’t able to?

“I’ll be going through to Nurse,” Giichi says. “They probably won’t do it today, but I’ll set an appointment to get me checked out.”

“Can’t they do it straight away?” I ask. “That’s what happens to me.”

“My tests will require some scans,” he replies. “They do have the equipment, but you can’t just use it whenever you want. They’ll schedule me in for some time in the next few days.”

I hadn’t had any tests besides physical examinations or handheld devices, so I’ll have to take his word on how these things work.

“We’ll meet you in the office once we’re done,” Rei says. “You’ll probably make it there first.”

“Yes,” Giichi agrees. “I’ll only be busy for a few minutes at most.”

With everything settled, we all set out to our various destinations. Giichi peels off towards the auxiliary building while the rest of us head towards the dorms.

We make our way into the building and head for the elevator. There’s no need to make this journey more difficult than it needs to be.

As we reach Rei’s floor and she steps out, I speak up.

“I’ll head up to my room straight away,” I say. “You don’t need my help as well.”

“Sure,” Rei replies. “Daisuke can manage on his own, right?”

“Yes,” he replies. “I’ve done so up until now. I think I can make it a few more steps.”

I’m glad to hear him replying to Rei in a tone that her joking behaviour deserves. He clearly does get on well with whoever he’s set to assist.

“See you just now,” I say as the door stats to slide closed between us. “And thank you for all the help, Daisuke.

“It’s been a pleasure,” he replies with a smile.

It’s only a moment before the doors slides open again, and I begin to make my way towards my own room. The warren of corridors is familiar enough, but still makes me try to understand what the thinking behind the building was. The branching nature of the whole place, as well as the clusters of rooms are an interesting design that I haven’t seen anywhere else.

It helps to build little communities throughout the building, but I’m sure that it’s not the most cost or space effective way to have designed the dorms.

I don’t meet anyone on my way to my room. The common room was just as empty. Everyone seems to be enjoying their time outdoors.

There’s a pause as I sanitize my hands, but don’t try to do anything to my bags which will just make a mess of them. I then take a moment to scratch around in my backpack to find my keys.

I look around and make the guess that Chiharu is probably already in her room. Whether she left at all would probably be a good question to ask. Cho and Nanami might be back already, but things are quiet enough that I’m sure they aren’t in their rooms.

After unlocking my door, I head inside to dump my bags on my bed before heading over to my window to throw it open. I’d like to give my room some time to air out after a week of being closed up. I’ll also leave the unpacking of my stuff until later.

I’d rather head over to meet up with the others than keep them waiting while I’m putting clothes away.

After a brief pause to look around once more, I out of my room and down the corridor. I’ll also leave checking in on Chiharu for another time. I could head over to Rei’s room, but she’s either already left or still busy unpacking so I’ll rather just head straight to the Committee office.

Once I’m outside there’s a bit of weaving to do as I make my way through the mass of students. Most of them are in their own little world or having conversations with their friends, but I do have a short chat with a couple of them as I go.

I head into the auxiliary building and pass Nurse’s office on the way to the stairs. I’ll meet with him tomorrow after class.

When I get up to the office, I see that no-one else has arrived yet. Rei must still be busy with stuff in her room. Whether Toru has gotten back yet is also something I’ll have to find out later.

“Did you sort everything out?” I ask Giichi, who’s looking through a few papers that he must have retrieved from the mailbox on the door.

We may have been away for the week, but some people stayed behind and they can still get into trouble when we’re not here.

They’ll check me out on Wednesday morning,” he replies, turning towards me. “Have a look at these. It’ll be good to get a head start on things.”

He comes over to me with the papers held out. I’m about to take them when something strange happens.

Giichi suddenly drops the pages, which scatter all around him, and he begins to lean forward. I’m about to ask what happened when the panicked look on his face and sudden plea make me freeze.

“Help,” he says as the lean clearly turns into him falling towards me.

I’m frozen, so I don’t really respond to him.

This causes him to grab a hold of me as he attempts to control his fall. His dead weight and my inaction don’t mix well and were now both tumbling towards the floor.

This shock knocks some sense into me, and I do the only thing that I really can at this stage. I grab him and let us fall.

I hit the ground first and lose my breath, first from the collision with the floor and then from Giichi landing on me.

It hurts a bit and I’m probably going to have a few bruises because of it.

None of that concerns me at the moment. All I’m thinking about is how I hope that what I’ve done has helped Giichi in some way. That I’ve managed to cushion his fall at least a little.

“Giichi?! Giichi!” I call out, much louder than is necessary. “What happened?”

I try to move a bit before his response stops me dead.

“Please don’t,” he says in a pained voice. “I’ve broken something. Something major and it hurts like hell. Remember what I told you?”

Don’t try to move him if he falls. Get help instead.

That would be great advice in he wasn’t currently on top of me.

“And how exactly would I do that!?” I ask. “My pager is currently stuck between us.”

“Rei will be on her way over,” he replies. “Once she gets here, she can get help. It will only be a few minutes.”

I suppose it’s not the worst idea. I just hope she doesn’t get sidetracked on the way over. If she isn’t here soon. I’ll have to try something myself. Even if it hurts Giichi some more.

“How bad is it?” I ask. I would expect more from him if he really had broken something, but maybe the shock of it is helping to mask the pain.
“It’s bad,” he says through gritted teeth. “I’d have to guess that it’s my hip that broke, but it could be more. Everything just gave way all of a sudden.”

I’ve seen that he has a lot of support around his waist so that wasn’t what I expected him to say. It also can’t be easy to break your hip. I thought that was only something that could happen once you got really old.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to try and call for help?” I ask again. “Then you can get help straight away.”

“No,” Giichi replies firmly. “I’ve gotten hurt more by someone moving me when they didn’t know what they were doing. We’re not really in any danger at the moment so, if you aren’t in trouble yourself, then please just wait for Rei to get here.”

I suppose that I’m not really in any danger. It takes a bit more effort, but I can still breath just fine with his weight on me.

Some time goes by, and I finally hear the door swing open.

“I’m here,” Rei calls out.

There’s a moment of silence.

“What are you two doing?” She asks. “Should I go?”

After lying here in this heap, I’m not in the mood for Rei’s usual jokes.

“Can you just go get help,” I snap. “Giichi’s fallen and we’re too scared to move.”

“Oh,” is all Rei says in response.

I can’t see her face but I’m certain that all the colour has just been drained from it.

“I’ll be right back,” she says, and the door swings shut as she rushes off to get someone.

I hope she doesn’t trip in her hurry. We don’t need any more injuries on top of Giichi’s.

They come back quickly. I can’t tell who it is at first, but I soon see that Rei has brought Nurse and two others with her.

“How bad is it?” Nurse says. “Do you think you be able to move on your own?”

“I’m not even going to try,” he replies. “But I’d be grateful if you could get me off Hatsumi. I’m sure she’d appreciate not having me on top of her.”

“Yes,” Nurse agrees. “You two. Lay the stretcher out and get ready to move him.”

I hear some activity off to the side.

“What do you think happened?” Nurse asks. “How should we try to do this?”

“It’s my hip,” Giichi says.

He seems very certain now.

Nurse nods before pulling something from his bag.

“Then we’ll wrap that first,” he says to his companions. “I’d like to reduce any possibility of movement.”

The two of them come forward and gently lift Giichi a bit while nurse gets to work. There are several grunts of pain as they do their job.

Once they’re happy with what they’ve done, they carefully lift him off me and onto the stretcher before carrying him out.

“I’d like to stay and talk to you, but his situation is more important to me right now,” Nurse says. “Take the rest of the day to calm down. You can come through tomorrow morning if you want to. I’ll excuse you from class.”

With that offer, nurse turns away and head out the door after Giichi, leaving me sitting on the floor with Rei looking down at me.

Both of us are unsure of what to do next.