Consensus on Lily's route: Over 10+ years later.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Siphonata

Consensus on Lily's route: Over 10+ years later.

Post by Siphonata »

A thread for Shizune's route already exists, but I hope that one day, all of the routes will get a thread of their own because I personally think it would be interesting to see how the fan consensus for them has changed from the fandom days of yore to the present day, where new fans get to experience the stories they've heard so much about.

Lily's route, much like Shizune's is one of the more polarizing ones from what I've heard. It's seen as a fun romantic story of two students trying to be mature or a borefest which drags on and whose main girl is lacking in character depth compared to every other character in her route. Lily tends to be a quite popular character, though and it'd be interesting to see if players think her route has aged like a fine wine or like sour milk.

"Punishment is not the answer. Punishment is easy. It's lazy. Redemption is hard. Redemption makes you work."-Skulduggery Pleasant

Siphonata's One Stop Shop: Entrance Here

hdkv
new forum host for the next 15 years

Re: Consensus on Lily's route: Over 10+ years later.

Post by hdkv »

On one hand, Lilly route is very classic romantic story, and you have no soul if you haven't cried in the last scene of good ending.

On the other, Lilly is a betrayer, and I honestly don't get why so many people like her.

I provide tech support for this forum. Ping me by email, Discord or DM.
forums changelog
Fleeting Heartbeat Studios: site, Discord.

Siphonata

Post by Siphonata »

hdkv wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:39 am

On one hand, Lilly route is very classic romantic story, and you have no soul if you haven't cried in the last scene of good ending.

On the other, Lilly is a betrayer, and I honestly don't get why so many people like her.

In regards to Lily's good ending path, I was so convinced that Hisao was actually going to die, that on some level, I consider the remaining scenes after his heart attack to be a dying dream that allows him to closure with Lily before Hisao finally departs from the mortal coil, with the post-credits scene consisting of Hisao in the afterlife and getting to live out his fantasy of being with Lily. Don't get me wrong, it was nice for Hisao and Lily to open up to each other in the hospital, but there's something about Hisao trying to catch up to Lily in the airport and dying in the belief that he failed that has this staying power to it.

As for Lily herself, she's fine on other routes as a mentor figure of sorts but I found her own route to drag on because I found Lily herself to be boring, and that I cared more about Hanako. Funnily enough, Hanako's route is the only one where I hate Lily because her role in the story comes off as her using Hisao to "fix" Hanako and despite her good intentions, it does feel like she's holding Hanako back by coddling her. Fortunately, Lily is thankfully called out on her manipulative behavior in the Good Ending route.

"Punishment is not the answer. Punishment is easy. It's lazy. Redemption is hard. Redemption makes you work."-Skulduggery Pleasant

Siphonata's One Stop Shop: Entrance Here

OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

It's been many years since I last played through the whole route, but I recognize the flaws you've pointed out. It is still my favorite route though, because it feels so refreshing to see the characters outside of Yamaku and I love how it forces Hanako to be her own person (on her own initiative). I don't mind it dragging on a bit... It's nowhere near as "boring" as Shizune's route at least. :lol:

Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
LooperHonstropy

Post by LooperHonstropy »

Not exactly an OG, but replaying Lilly's route a bit over a year later still made me feel the same feeling I felt back then. It's a simple route with a roller coaster of emotions towards the end. Not as deep and meaningful such as Rin's or Hanako's route, but it hold ups on it's own.

But maybe that's just my sentimental ass getting biased because Lilly best girl.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There was a time when I dread life.

But nowadays I burn that dread.

Ykaruz

Post by Ykaruz »

Short version: I love it and her to death, I simpatize with Lilly a lot, I love the chill, calm vibe, and I can live with the few issues the story has.

Long version:
After finishing KS for the 4th time in a +10 yeas span, I noticed something: Every time I play I like a different part of the game better.
It depends on how I'm feeling at the moment, what I'm going through and what stage of life I am.

Hanako's route was like a lifeboat for me the first time I played. It was like a comfortable place for me in a bad time of my young years, and I still love her route to death.
HOWEVER, the third time I played KS, a few good years later, Lilly stole the spot for me. I was at a better, even if not great, time of my life, I was a bit more confident, but I still enjoyed the peace and serenity, as well as Lilly's maturity and understanding. Today, I really can't choose between Hanako's or Lilly's routes, since I think both bring something for the table (for me).
Just to further illustrate my point, I used to see Emi's as the 3rd best route and Rin's as 4th. I just replayed Emi's, and I could barely stand to finish it. Something about it just ticked me off so much this time. Meanwhile, Rin's, which I remember playing last time just for completionism sake, now feels so much more enjoyable for me.
But I guess maybe it's just me that keeps changing too much lmao
Also, I just really enjoy how chill and calm Lilly and Hanako are, so I feel right at home with them XD

Also, about Lilly's "betrayal". One of the things I like the most about Lilly's route is how human it is. There are many times when the characters say or do something just to immediately realize/discover/find it was rude, insensitive or just dumb.
The reason I like that is because it's very human, and it really contrasts with Lilly's "I have all under control" vibe. At the end of the day, Lilly is just a young girl trying to navigate life. She also has worries and insecurities, but hides and deals with them by herself both because she's mature for her age and because she IS, in fact, quite proud, in the sense that she hates being treated like a child or having people be overly conscious about her blindness, even if she appreciates some help when actually needed. I really love that nuance.

A good chunk of her route is about that:

► Show Spoiler

In the end, the only time I think the route drops the ball

► Show Spoiler
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

While the route was enjoyable, it dragged on for far too long. I agree with hdkv that it was similar to a classical romance. Other routes are much more fleeting in their [teenage] love, while Lily's attempts to take a more mature and long lasting approach. This makes the betrayal hit harder than it would in another route.