Unwritten Rules

WORDS WORDS WORDS

NovaX13

Unwritten Rules

Post by NovaX13 »

Hello all! I'm new here. First played Katawa Shoujo at the end of last year (a way to kill the time while recuperating from surgery) and have played through multiple times. And because of how much fun I had, I decided to write a story. Because it's been so long since I've written fanfiction (seriously, it's been over 10 years) and it's for a subject I haven't written for before, I was just curious.

Are there any "unwritten rules" for KS stories? Like "The story has to take place in 2007" or things like that.

Currently only in the prologue stage (as Hisao isn't the protagonist), so everything is still malleable. Happy to be here and I look forward to sharing my story with everyone.
Oddball

Re: Unwritten Rules

Post by Oddball »

There are some, but if I wrote them out for you they wouldn't be unwritten anymore.

But if you are going to change the date, let the readers know early on. I'd also suggest checking out the tips for fanfiction topic.
Not Dead Yet
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Oddball wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:02 pm There are some, but if I wrote them out for you they wouldn't be unwritten anymore.
Currently undecided on whether to respond with "well-played... :shock:" or " don't tease the newbies :lol:"

But yeah, what he said. Tips section's where it's at.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

brythain

Post by brythain »

Good title, promising beginning... oh, that wasn't the story! :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
MrMadrid

Post by MrMadrid »

"Be responsible and not abandon the story"

Although that applies to any book.
Lap

Post by Lap »

brythain wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:46 pm Good title, promising beginning... oh, that wasn't the story! :D
Hmm. Though it does make for an intriguing title....

Scarred Muse Hanako and Rin.
Avenues of Communication: Shizune suffers an accident.
Home: Hanako & Hisao at University, sharing an apartment with their friend Lilly (on Ao3).
One-shots
NovaX13

Post by NovaX13 »

Thanks for the help everyone. Read through the "Tips" thread and noticed I was falling into a trap with OC characters. I was forcing my character into Hisao's class. Figured out a nice way around it which also helped increase my supporting cast rather than just relying on the original cast (though, some members of the original cast are still supporting characters. Their involvement is much more organic though now.)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Glad we could help you out. If there's any more specific question you have or advice you think you need, just give us a shout.
Not Dead Yet