For Want of a Nail - Misha Route (Updated 11/1/19)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

sloth4

Re: For Want of a Nail - Misha Route (Updated 10/4/18)

Post by sloth4 »

Spoiler alert: Misha cheats on Hisao with Iwanako!

Shocking, right? Gotta love twist endings.

----

More seriously, that note to Iwanako was pretty well written. Probably the best I've seen in a fic.

And Misha's dream... well, bit strange, but I'm interested to see where you take it.
ProfAllister

Re: For Want of a Nail - Misha Route (Updated 10/4/18)

Post by ProfAllister »

I check my watch again. It’s mid-afternoon now.

I’ve been waiting at the train station since a little before noon. The plan was to meet Misha and Shizune when they came back, but it seems they missed their train. And the one after that. Here’s hoping they caught the third.

Speaking of which, that should be it arriving just now. I scan the disembarking crowd for the distinctive pink head of hair I’ve come to appreciate so well.

As the last person gets off and the doors close, I start to wonder if they somehow missed three trains in a row. That seems highly unlikely, though. Nevertheless, the crowd is starting to disperse, and still no sign of her.

No sign, that is, until a pair of familiar hands appear and cover my eyes.

“Wahahahahaha~, Hicchan~! Guess who~?”

Now, I don’t have a good track record of late, but there’s no mistaking these hands. And if I’m wrong… well, it will guarantee they don’t try to fool me again.

Turning around, I wrap my hands around my attacker’s waist, and lock my lips with hers.

Misha has definitely been a bad influence on me. A couple months ago, I would have never even considered such a carelessly public display of affection.

Looking at the girl I’m kissing, it’s a relief to see the face I was expecting. Well, mostly. Surprisingly enough, she’s wearing her glasses, not her contacts. More so, her hair is now brown and wavy - not a trace of pink or drills to be seen.

Her surprise at my sudden action is quickly replaced by a pleased look in her eyes, but the transformation of her appearance turns the tables so I’m the one who’s shocked. Not shocked enough to break off the kiss, though.

Having waited more than a week for this, I allow myself to enjoy every moment of our embrace. In the way that kisses do, it feels like it lasts forever, yet is over almost instantly.

Breaking away, Misha smiles at me and whispers, almost breathlessly, “Good guess~.”

She steps backwards and twirls in place. “Do you like it, Hicchan~? Ehehehehe~, I did it for you~!”

Completely at a loss, I try to reply, but only manage to get out two words.

“Your drills…”

She blinks at me as she comes to a stop, her hair cascading loosely over her shoulders.

“My what?”

“You know,” I begin, twirling my finger in the air.

She smirks, trying to suppress her laughter, but, as always, it’s a futile gesture.

“Wahahahahahahaha~! Ahahahaha~! They’re called ‘princess curls,’ Hicchan~. And it’s just a hairstyle. I can put my hair up like that whenever I want~! You should know that, silly~!”

She’s right, but I guess my brain kind of shut down at the unexpected change of color.

“So… is this your natural hair color?”

“Hicchan… I told you before, I’m never ever ever ever ever ever ever gonna tell you my natural hair color~. But~! But, but, but~! My roots were starting to show, so I needed to dye my hair again~! So~, when choosing a color, I had a thought~! I can’t tell you what my natural hair color is, but~! I can show you~!”

As she finishes recounting this, she comes forward and hugs me, resting her head on my shoulder. Following the natural impulse, I start to stroke the newly dyed hair.

“So… what you’re saying is that this is your natural hair color?”

“You’re very bad at this, Hicchan~.”

Before this can continue any further, we’re interrupted by a familiar snapping sound. A few people standing around the station jump, as if reacting to a gunshot. Turning toward the sound, I see a rather perturbed-looking Shizune, standing next to what appears to be entirely too much luggage for two girls.

The bus ride back to Yamaku is a rather extended affair - several stops in the city before it makes its way on the loop to town and then the school. It's going to take well over an hour. Misha takes the window seat, clings onto my arm, and promptly falls asleep. Meanwhile, Shizune is sitting across the aisle on my right.

This is probably the best chance I'll have to ask about the letter.

Catching Shizune's attention, I sign for a notebook, nodding toward my incapacitated left arm. With a curious expression, Shizune pulls her notebook out of her bag and hands it to me.

Pen in hand, I hesitate, but decide the direct approach is best.
Keiko delivered a letter to me over the break. She said she found it while cleaning the student council room. It was dated June. Any idea what could have happened?
Passing the book back, I try to read her expression as she looks over my question. No luck.

She returns it, the answer simple and blunt.
I hid it.
Stunned, I look over to her, to see that she's already facing my direction with a contrite expression.

[It was a mistake. A bad idea. But it was done with your best interests in mind.]

She closes her eyes as if reciting the words to herself, then locks eyes with me and begins signing again.

[I’ve been handling the mail a long time. I could recognise that type of letter. Lots of students get letters like that. Especially transfer students. It’s not a good letter.]

She pauses, as if to give me an opportunity to dispute the claim. I can’t really disagree with the statement, so I just nod for her to continue.

[The letters aren’t meant to be bad, but the effects are usually the same. I’d like to tell myself that I hid it to protect you, but I don’t think that’s entirely true.]

Her cheeks flush slightly as she resumes. [I told you before about our “competition.” That letter was a complication. If I delivered it and it had an impact, I’d feel like I cheated.]

Taking a deep breath, her shoulders slumped, she wraps up her explanation. [All explanations aside, there’s no excuse for what I did. It was the wrong thing to do, and a serious breach of trust between friends. I’m sorry.]

I blink. That's a lot to take in. I'm not sure what I was expecting, to be honest. I feel like I should be angry, but it's hard for me to blame her. Besides, she's doing a better job of making herself feel bad about it than I ever could.

With no better response, I nod, then hand the notebook back. She raises her hands to say something, then, evidently thinking better of it, she takes the book and sticks it back into her bag.

After a quick stop by their rooms to drop off luggage, we decide to order take-out for dinner, which we then eat in the common area of the girls’ dorm. Most students haven’t returned from their own vacations, so the school is still quite abandoned, which in turn means that we have the room to ourselves.

In a way that feels vaguely familiar, Misha is excitedly talking about everything they did during their trip. Shizune, meanwhile, is noticeably “silent.” Considering our conversation on the bus, she probably feels guilty about her deception, but I was hoping we’d be over the awkwardness and get back to just being three friends enjoying each other’s company. Hopefully it will work itself out over the next few days.

Given her obvious third wheel status this evening, it comes as no surprise when Shizune excuses herself early. That doesn’t stop Misha from protesting, though.

“Aww~... You’re going to bed already?”

[Travelling makes me tired. And I didn’t take as many naps as you did.]

“I didn’t nap that much… did I~?”

Shizune shakes her head. [Whatever the reason, I need sleep, and you don’t. Besides, you’ve been gone a long time. I’m sure your boyfriend would appreciate the attention.]

Misha opens her mouth and raises her hands to object, but Shizune makes an unfamiliar sign, which stops her in her tracks. Misha hesitates, biting her lip with an unreadable expression, until she finally gives a slow, deliberate nod.

“Okay, Shicchan. Good night~.”

Especially considering the past few phone conversations, I’ve started to instinctually get nervous when Misha drops her normal, carefree attitude. It’s not that anything bad has come of it yet, but I always feel seconds away from disaster.

That being said, I figure I might as well rip the band-aid off and get it over with.

“What was that about?”

Closing her eyes, she takes a deep breath before responding.

“It was about you, Hicchan~.”

“What about me?”

“... Can we take a walk, Hicchan~? I need to get my thoughts in order.”

I shrug.

“Fine by me.”

Outside, the sun is setting, painting the sky in shades of red, orange, and purple. It will be dark soon.

The aimlessness of Misha’s wandering brings to mind that quiet morning after the festival, my first week here. Strange that I’d think of that. It seems so long ago that I’d practically forgotten it.

Somewhat surprisingly, she finally decides to stop by Rin’s mural, turning around to face me, wearing an impish grin.

“Hey, Hicchan~? Remember when we looked at this together~?”

I smile back, chuckling, “I was just thinking the same thing. More blue, right?”

She laughs softly in return, “Ahaha~, I think I like it just right the way it is, now~. I guess it grew on me~.”

Sitting with her back against the mural, she pats the ground next to her, inviting me to sit.

“And remember when we first met~? Hehe~, you thought I was Shicchan~!”

My laugh is kind of half-hearted this time, as I‘m starting to get nervous about where exactly she’s going with this.

“Hicchan~? What are you planning to do after we graduate?”

I relax a little. That’s an innocent enough question.

“I figure I’ll take Mutou’s advice and work toward becoming a teacher. Probably go to a university in or near Tokyo. Nothing too unusual, I guess.”

“I see~,” she replies, sounding a little downcast. “Shicchan said something like that, too.”

“What about you, Shiina? You were planning on becoming a teacher, right? Are you looking at any schools?”

Her voice has grown so quiet that I can only tell what she’s saying because of her signing. [I’ve already chosen one. Overseas.]

Overseas.

So that’s what this is about. That complicates things.

I sit for a moment, dumbfounded, unsure how to respond. Finally, I manage a question. “When did you decide?”

[Before we met. Before I came to this school. They pay me to learn Sign Language, then I work for them for a few years. If I don’t, I have to pay it all back.]

This hurts even more. I don’t know what to say. Before I can, she finds her voice again.

“I didn’t mean to hide it from you, Hicchan~. Except… I sort of did.

“When I came to this school, I didn’t want to meet new people. I didn’t want anyone to notice me~. I just wanted to finish school and start a new life somewhere far away~. But~! Shicchan wouldn’t let me. Even though she knew I was going to leave~!”

She sighs, burying her face in her hands, then continues. “I wasn’t planning on having a boyfriend, either~. Most High School romances don’t work out anyway, so I figured it wasn’t worth my time~. And then you came along and messed everything up - in a good way~! ... Mostly.”

She turns her head to face me, and I can see the sincerity in her eyes, bu that makes the words hurt more, if anything.

“You were so insistent~! It made me so angry~! But also happy~! So~! I thought I could work it out to make everyone happy~! You would be my boyfriend until you got bored of me, then I could vanish from your life forever~!”

Another sigh. “I never thought you could fall in love with someone like me, Hicchan~. And I thought I could keep myself from falling in love, because I knew it wouldn’t last. Ahaha~, So much for that idea...”

The hollow laugh makes me wince. More importantly, I’m reminded of a detail that doesn’t quite fit with the rest of the puzzle, making me almost hope that this is a poor attempt at humor.

“But this all doesn’t make sense. I thought you said that they don’t use Japanese Sign Language overseas. They’ve got their own versions, right?”

The weak smile she gives me shatter my hopes before she speaks a single word. “Sorry, Hicchan, but this is real~. It’s for an ‘International Communications Facili- Facilly-”

“Facilitator?”

“Yeah, that. You need to know a lot of languages~ - English, Japanese, Japanese Sign Language-”

“English Sign Language?” I ask, dubiously.

“It’s called American Sign Language, Hicchan~. And you know how Shicchan and me have secret signs?”

I think I’m starting to see where this is going…

“They aren’t very secret, are they?”

“Ehehehe~, nope~!”

Well, that’s a genuine laugh and smile. And a little more explanation for what her future holds, and why. I’m not especially sure how I feel about some of the things Misha said, but what matters at the moment is figuring out how to secure our future.

“So, where do we go from here?”

“...I’m not sure we do, Hicchan~.”

“Come on, it might be difficult, but it’s not impossible. I’m sure I can find a good school overseas, too, especially with my grades in science…”

“It’s not that simple, Hicchan~...”

“I know, there’s lots of paperwork, but there’s enough time. Almost a year, right?”

“Hicchan~...”

“I know you might be concerned about me leaving friends and family, but the only friends I have anymore are all here at school, and my family isn’t nearly as big or as close as-”

“Stop it, Hicchan~! Just stop it!”
I turn to look at Misha, startled by her sudden outburst.

“You say really nice things, Hicchan~, and you may even think they’re true, but they’re not~! You keep telling me these beautiful lies, and I keep wanting to believe them, but I need to face reality~! I told you before that you were making a mistake. I’m not worth the effort, Hicchan~. I don’t deserve any of these nice things you want to give me. The reality is that there is no future for us~! Our relationship is dead as it stands~!”

All I can do is stare in silence. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her angry before. Not like this. Gradually, it seems to dawn on her what she just said, her anger melting into horror.

“...I should go,” she whispers, turning toward the girls’ dorm. She takes a few steps, then twists around to look back at me. “I’ll see you at the pool tomorrow morning, okay~?”

That last sentence sounded almost apologetic. Numbly, I nod, not quite processing what was said.

I remain motionless as she departs, only vaguely aware of my surroundings. I have no idea how much time passes, only that I eventually decide to head to my room and go to sleep.

Act 3 Scene 11 | Act 4 Scene 1
Last edited by ProfAllister on Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Hanako Fancopter

Re: For Want of a Nail - Misha Route (Updated 12/3/18)

Post by Hanako Fancopter »

Not sure how I feel about Shizune's hiding the letter and Misha basically breaking up with Hisao being in the same chapter together. Though if Hisao truly doesn't care very much about the former, then it's not a big enough deal to warrant its own scene. But it definitely seems like something that could've been its own little plot point for a scene or two, as opposed to being immediately eclipsed and probably forgotten due to the second thing that happens in this chapter.

Regardless, we have stuff happening, and that makes me happy. I won't judge the stuff until there is more time and content to see how it develops.
An Unusual Friendship (Misha x Hanako Route)
Riposte (Rika Mini-Route)
One-Shots Thread (Random Smut/Meme Stories)
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

I cannot words right now. Wait:

Dammit Misha you bag of stupid!

There. I found words.

Good update. Bad Misha, no biscuit.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
brythain

Post by brythain »

Great update. I see Act 4 on the horizon, judging from the bottom line of that update. That brings me mysterious joy too.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Craftyatom

Post by Craftyatom »

My oh my. I was waiting for the letter to come up, but that got cleared up pretty quickly. I figured we were out of the woods, what with that out of the way. But here we are.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm rooting for. I know roughly what I want to happen, but how is a bit more fluid. I see many possible paths, starting with the first few lines of the next chapter - or, should I say, the next act!

Another good addition to the story, as always. We'll just have to wait and see what comes next!
Main route: COM(promise)
One-shots: Crafty's One-Shots (Dark Winter Sky, Dreamy, Path of Least Resistance, Project Blue Curtain, and more!)
Old poetry: Google Drive Collection
NoticeMeOppai

Post by NoticeMeOppai »

Nice update, curious to see if any more comes of the letter hiding. Also Misha, no! Why would you do that?
Hoitash wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:57 pm
Good update. Bad Misha, no biscuit.
Is that a Cowboy Bebop reference?
NmO Does Shorts

I deeply regret my choice of username.
RedXRulez

Post by RedXRulez »

Hello. I've made an account here, just so I could say this:

ProfAllister, I've been reading your Misha route from the very first chapter- I am astounded by what you've done here so far. I've been craving a detailed, fleshed-out Misha route ever since I finished Katawa Shoujo, and before I stumbled upon your work, I was never satisfied. You've made Misha feel so, so real, and have captured her character, personality, and mannerisms perfectly. Seldom anything in this story regarding her has felt out of place, not even her spoken lines. My deep immersion and investment in this route has not been shattered or broken just yet, and my only complaint as of now, is that the previous scene felt slightly rushed.

Take as much time as necessary to envision and create the next stunning chapters and acts, but PLEASE, I beg of you, don't leave this route unfinished! I honestly believe that if you can diligently continue to write this captivating story and even go so far as to properly finish it with the same previous attention to detail and intense passion that you've shown, that this will be one of the BEST Katawa Shoujo fanfictions ever created, and THE MOST defining, exemplary Misha route of all time.

I don't give my praise just for the hell of it, and I certainly don't give it so lightly- It takes a lot to get me to create an account somewhere and not just lurk. :p

You've got fans, ProfAllister. And I am gladly one of them, eagerly awaiting your next updates with baited breath. Good luck, and don't give up!
NelNinja

Post by NelNinja »

After reading Downix talking about how he makes sure to comment on all of the fics that he's invested in, I've committed to do the same so here goes:

Thank you, thank you for this route and helping give closure to a character that got criminally underused in the base game. I'm waiting (not so) patiently for your next chapter!
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing
Character Impressions:
Misha>Emi=Hanako=Lilly=Shizune=Rin
I wrote things!
The Sound of Silence - Shizune one-shot
Pilgrimage - A Subversion of Fate - Hisao sans heart attack (Uncancelled)
PB and Bananas (Post Rin good ending one-shot)
Cube-Chan

Post by Cube-Chan »

Great, Love this Story.

Though the fancy punctuation made it really hard to convert this into an Epub :p

Speaking of Epub, I've attached it to the post. For those who see this in the future, It contains all the main chapters up to Act 3 Part 12.

Also, Ive had to change the extension to .txt because I can't attach .epub files. Just change it back.

EDIT: Updated to include Act 4 Part 1
Attachments
For want of a Nail - ProfAllister.txt
(424.93 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Last edited by Cube-Chan on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

The harsh buzzing of the alarm jerks me out of my fitful sleep. I’m doomed to be haunted by that damned puppet show my whole life, aren’t I?

I vaguely wonder why I’m still setting the alarm. It’s not as if I haven’t been waking up this early on my own, and it’s more pleasant without the alarm, anyway.

As I shut off the alarm, I notice the calendar. It’s Sunday. I must have been in a haze last night and set it like normal.

Right. Last night. That happened.

I can’t believe I was so stupid. If I had thought to shut up, and maybe listen to what she had to say, I probably wouldn’t be in this mess. No use dwelling on the past, though.

Come to think of it, she said she’d meet me at the pool this morning. Did she forget that it was Sunday? It can’t be helped, though - we’re still both on the Student Council, so we can’t really afford to burn bridges. Better to go to meet her at the pool and her not be there than to not go and find out she was expecting me.

Swimming may be able to help me clear my mind. Not that I’ve been able to think my way out of this mess so far. If I just focus on the routine, though, I can at least buy some time of not thinking.

The moment I step into the pool area, I'm greeted by an enthusiastic hug and a kiss on the lips. Not what I was expecting.

“I'm so happy you came, Hicchan~! I forgot that today was Sunday, so I was afraid you wouldn't come, but you did come, and that's great~!”

“Shiina, about last night-”

She silences me with a finger over my lips.

“I know that I said some dumb things, Hicchan~, but I didn't mean it. Let's pretend it never happened, okay~! Okay, okay, okay!”

Satisfied that our conversation is over, she turns around and begins stretching. I get the sense that she won't talk if I try to press the issue, and I'm still trying to sort out this new piece of information in my head, so I follow suit.

Try as I might, I can't keep various thoughts from invading as I struggle to remain focused on my swimming routine. What happened last night? What parts does she want me to forget? Why the sudden drastic shift in behavior? Am I missing something obvious?

My rounds finished, I climb out of the pool to find myself face-to-face with an angry Misha. She's trying to look threatening, but it just comes off as adorable.

“You've been slacking off, Hicchan. Emi might not be able to tell, but I can see you got lazy while I was gone~.”

Her noble attempt at a stern expression only lasts a couple seconds past her lecture, before melting into a burst of laughter.

“Wahahaha~, no worries, Hicchan~! It just means I need to push you twice as hard~! Ahahahaha~!”

The nurse is surprised to see me off schedule, but quickly recovers, running me through a standard check-up, with the associated “hmm”s. I figure it's best to ignore them, considering he never explains anyway.

One quick shower later, I emerge from the bathroom to find Misha waiting for me, her hair back in her trademark drills. Not drills; “princess curls.” Either way, they're still cute. Since her hair is brown now, it seems a little less ostentatious, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time.

“Hiichan~?”

For some reason, the way she says my name puts me on guard.

“Yes, Shiina?”

Her grin falters slightly at the sound of her name, but she recovers quickly.

“Let's go to the Shanghai for breakfast~!”

My treat, of course.

The trip down to the Shanghai is filled by her chatter as she recounts everything that she and Shizune did over the break. She already told me over the phone as the days passed, but I don't mind. It's a refreshing return to normalcy after the events of last night.

As we enter, Misha spots an empty booth and quickly claims it, immediately calling out her order.

“Two fortune omelettes~!”

The waitress - hostess? Either way, it's not Yuuko this time - nods her head and disappears into the back. Evidently, that's not an unusual way to place your order here. Or they're just used to Misha.

The tea shop is surprisingly crowded this morning. Probably the busiest I've ever seen it. To be fair, I'm not in the habit of visiting on a Sunday morning; this might be normal.

Taking a seat opposite Misha, I eye her suspiciously.

“‘Fortune omelettes’? Are they called that because that's what they cost?”

“Ahahaha~, maybe a little bit!”

Of course. Everything here is expensive.

“So what makes these omelettes so special?”

“Ehehe~, You're going to have to wait and see~!”

The wait is surprisingly short, as I find sitting in front of me an omelette nearly as big as my head - easily 30 centimeters long, 15 centimeters wide, and 10 centimeters tall. Given the size of the parfait Misha ordered that one time, I'm left to wonder who designs the portion sizes.

Misha faces an identical monstrosity, with one difference. On my omelette is written the word “prosperity” in ketchup; on hers is “happiness”.

“So that's why they're called ‘fortune omelettes’?”

“That's part~ of the reason! Cut it open~!”

I wouldn't have thought twice about cutting it open, but now that it's been suggested, I'm a little nervous. We were given forks, so I guess that's what I'm expected to use. With no small effort, given the size, I manage to make a rough cut down the middle with the edge of the utensil, revealing vegetables, mushrooms, what looks to be a turkey sandwich, something I can only assume is chocolate-flavored pudding, and presumably half of the menu inside.

“I got a fried egg~! Lucky~!”

It would appear that Misha has done the same, considering her bisected omelette. Having speared her prize, she shows it off triumphantly, smiling as a glob of strawberry jelly drips off her egg and onto… her other egg.

“Is this… edible?”

“Wahahaha~, it's not only edible, it's super yummy~! You can only get them on Sunday, though…”

“Why is that?”

“Because~! They use up all their ingredients, to make sure everything is as fresh as possible all week!”

I guess that's one alternative to throwing it all away…

Seeing as Misha's convinced me to try more dubious concoctions than this, I only hesitate a moment before digging in. Somehow, remarkably, against all sense or reason, it actually manages to taste good.

After we finish eating, I decide that I'm not going to get any answers unless I bring it up.

“So…”

The way her expression shifts at my tone, it's clear she knows what this is about. I take a deep breath, searching for the right words.

“Last night, you yelled at me and ran away, but this morning, it's like that never happened. What's up?”

Her eyes drop to her hands as she takes her own turn to figure out what to say.

“I… was being selfish, Hicchan~. And I got scared. I said things that I didn't mean…

“But~!” she adds, cheering up in her characteristic mood whiplash, “I made a decision~! I decided that I'll be the best girlfriend I can be~!”

That all seems reasonable, but something about it feels… off.

“For how long?”

She sighs, clearly not wanting to hear that question.

“I'm… still trying to figure that part out, Hicchan~. Let's try to just worry about today, okay?”

Well, it's not the worst answer I could get, but it's clear that she doesn't expect our relationship to last.

“I understand.”

The trek back up the hill is a bit quieter. Misha tries to start up conversation a few times, but I don't really have my heart in it, so, after a little while, she stops trying.

For whatever reason, Misha seems convinced that she's not worth my time or attention. What could have happened to make her think so poorly of herself? Who hurt her, and how? Is there anything I can do to help? Is it even my place to try, or is this something that should be left to the professionals?

Whatever I decide to do, time is running out. If I want to stick to my suggestion of following her overseas, I need to get started on that soon.

As we reach the gate, she gives me a quick peck on the cheek and runs off in the direction of the girls’ dorms. I may as well follow suit and go to my own room.

As I pull out my key to unlock my door, I hear the telltale sounds of several locks coming undone from behind me. With renewed urgency, I try to jam my key into the door, but it's too late. With a primal yell, a green blur emerges from the opposite room and invades my personal space.

“I've got you now, foul assassin!”

I am now pressed up against my own door, Kenji's arms cutting off escape on either side. His face is so close that I can practically taste the garlic on his breath.

“Kenji, it's me. Hisao. Comrade in arms and all, right?”

He doesn't relax.

“If it's really you, which I doubt, what's this week’s secret passphrase?”

“How the hell would I know? This is the first time I've seen you this week!”

“Oh, really?” He sneers, “what about the passphrase book hidden in your underwear drawer?”

“In my… what are you talking about? Are you breaking into my room and rifling through my underwear now?”

He smiles triumphantly. “Good job, soldier. You remembered that it's in your sock drawer. A feminist spy would've lied and pretended to know about it.”

“I'm serious. Have you been rifling through my underwear?”

“That's classified. And irrelevant. Besides, it's not why I called you here.”

“You didn't call me here.”

“That's what I like about you, dude, always thinking about Opsec. I've come into something huge.”

His head darts side to side.

“The walls have ears. Let's go into your room.”

Much as I'd rather not, it occurs to me that the alternative would have him pull me into the warzone he calls his own room. I open the door, but the moment it cracks open, he shoves me in, follows behind, then slams the door, checking to confirm it's locked.

“Alright, man, get this. It’s a well-known fact that men are better at hearing than women. It comes from the days in the jungle, when the male lions would go hunting for meat, while the female lions stayed home and bought boxed salads.”

There’s so much wrong with that sentence that I don’t even know where to begin.

“Well, it turns out that the feminists have taken that weakness and transformed it into a strength! Clever girls…”

He grabs the fringe of his scarf and starts playing with it self-consciously, sweat beading on his forehead. Serves him right for dressing that warmly in the middle of summer.

“Now hold onto your pants, dude, because what I tell you will blow your socks off. Guaranteed.”

He leans in conspiratorially, and I reflect his action, to offer my ear. I think better of my action a second too late, as he shouts at full volume.

“They’ve devised a way to talk without speaking!”

My socks remain firmly on my feet. My ears are ringing, but that’s my own fault.

“Skeptical, huh? I don’t blame you. I wouldn’t trust anything I didn’t say myself. But I’ve got proof!”

“No, Kenji, I believe you. It’s called sign language.”

His smug grin tells me that he thinks I’m wrong.

“Common rookie mistake, dude. You’re thinking of semaphore. And that uses flags, not signs. I’m talking about talking with your hands! Look, I’ll show you. Give me your hand.”

No sooner have the words left his mouth, Kenji seizes my hand in his shockingly cold, clammy grip. He presses one hand into my palm, in what I’m fairly certain is a form of deafblind communication.

“You feel that? That’s their conversation initiation protocol. It doesn’t really mean anything on its own, but it opens the lines of communication.”

I’m fairly certain that I’ve just learned the sign for ‘Hello’.

“Fascinating. Where did you learn this?”

He jumps back in alarm, as if I had just bitten him. Not the intended reaction, but I won’t complain.

“Dude! I can’t tell you that! That would compromise my intelligence sources and methods! Doing that’s an excellent way to get your contact’s severed head delivered to you in a box lunch!”

That would have to be a pretty big box for a box lunch. Or a small head. Maybe a shrunken head. Would they go to the effort to make it look nice? Maybe throw in some octopus weiners as an accent piece?

“Look, Kenji, this fascinating and all, but, uh… I think it's a bit too much for me to take in all at once. I need some time to, ah, digest this new intel. So, if you wouldn't mind…?”

He salutes me smartly. “Good thinking, dude. Feminist wiles are a mind-blowing thing. Not everyone has a wit and will as acute as my own. Get some rest, soldier. The war is long and unforgiving.”

As he makes his exit, I file away how well that worked. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

Kenji's insane ramblings are the least of my worries - I still have a lot on my mind. Everything that's happened today has just left me with more questions, and no clue on how to move forward.

Feeling lost and helpless, I find myself seeking the familiar comfort and refuge of one of the several library books I've checked out. Overdue. I should probably get them back to the library soon.

Act 3 Scene 12 | Act 4 Scene 1 Part 2 (18+) (Disable Adult Content)
Last edited by ProfAllister on Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Discord server
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

A loud knocking sound wakes me from my sleep. Experience tells me that it’s Kenji or Misha. Or Shizune. Which, by logical extension means it will be Lilly this time. Or Rin, just because the universe likes to mess with my head.

Much like with Kenji, the moment I turn the handle, the door is forced open, and the person on the other side pushes through. Unlike Kenji, her lips immediately lock with mine in a surprisingly aggressive kiss.

“I~! Missed~! You~! So~! Much~!” she manages between kisses, pushing the door closed behind her with her hip.

The way Misha presses her body against mine, it’s clear what she wants, and a part of me has no hesitation about what to do next. The rest of me, however, is less certain. Does she love me the way I’ve decided that I love her? Or is it purely physical for her? I have no idea how committed she is to us being together. On the other hand, I wonder if I should just accept this for what it is, and live in the moment?

While the battle rages on in my mind, my body finds much less hesitation, and our clothes quickly find themselves in a pile in the middle of the floor. This leads to a very different sort of battle as our mouths and tongues struggle for dominance. Meanwhile, our bodies intertwine in a far less oppositional manner.

Try as I might, I can't lose myself in the physicality of the experience. I find myself questioning her motives, questioning my own, and second-guessing every decision we've each made, all the while going through the motions of making love.

Eventually, it's over. No finish; just… done. As I return to myself, I see that Misha's eyes are full of… sadness? Guilt? Regret?

"I'm sorry, Hicchan~. I guess I was going too fast~..."

Back to that pained whisper.

"No, it's not your fault. I'm… not feeling well. I think I need some fresh air. Give me a minute, I'll take a quick walk, get something to drink, and we can try again, okay?"

I'm not sure why I said that. My mouth started moving faster than my brain, and it came out. I don't think either of us believe it, but, all the same, she nods her head, and I get dressed and leave the room, shutting the door behind me.

Act 4 Scene 1 Part 1 | Act 4 Scene 1 Part 3
Last edited by ProfAllister on Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Discord server
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

!!!WARNING!!! This is a joke chapter, for those who would rather not read about sexytimes

A loud knocking sound wakes me from my sleep. Experience tells me that it’s Kenji or Misha. Or Shizune. Which, by logical extension means it will be Lilly this time. Or Rin, just because the universe likes to mess with my head.

The moment I turn the handle, the door is forced open, and the person on the other side pushes through. I’m surprised to see his face right in front of mine. I’m almost afraid he’ll try to kiss me.

“Code red, dude! Code red!”

“Code red?”

“One of the top feminist agents was snooping around here. The loud one. She was about to knock on your door when I intercepted her. If she found the robot clone you were building, we’d lose everything! So I told her that you went to the library.”

Kenji, you idiot!

“What the hell, man, we’re on the same team! I don’t go around calling you an idiot! Not to your face, at least…”

Damn it, I must have said that out loud. Think fast.

“What I’m saying is, uh… that that was the clone. Now that she’s out and about, what happens if she runs into the real thing? You could have compromised the whole operation!”

His mouth hangs open as the mistake he made slowly dawns on him. A moment later and he’s shoving me toward the door.

“No time to waste, man! Go out there and get her back! We’ve come too far for you to go and mess everything up now!”

“Sure, sure. I’ll go out and find her and make sure she gets back safely.”

Seconds later, I find myself standing outside the boys’ dorm.

Act 4 Scene 1 Part 1 | Act 4 Scene 1 Part 3
Last edited by ProfAllister on Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Discord server
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

It's early evening, and the sun is beginning to set. I'd rather not make a liar of myself, so I decide that the best thing to do is take a walk, like I said I would.

The past couple days have left me with more questions than answers.

On the one hand, there are little questions - like whether there was a reason for Misha to change her hairstyle so dramatically. I recall Akira mentioning something about it, but I have no idea how to get a hold of her. If Lilly were serious about burying the hatchet, I guess I could ask her, much as I'd rather not, but I I don't think she's returned from her Summer Break travel yet.

On the other hand, there are the big questions. Why does Misha seem to hate herself? Other than her health scare, her life seems mostly perfect. But she insists that she's the scum of the earth. And, even if we get past that, am I being realistic about abandoning everything I've ever known to follow her into a foreign country?

My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of a closing door. It looks like Yuuko is leaving for the night after closing the library. Burdened down by what appears to be a large box of books, she appears to be in the awkward position of fumbling for her keys to lock up without dropping the box.

"I'll get that," I offer, grabbing the sides of the box.

Fortunately, the Student Council work has given me plenty of practice handling large cumbersome objects, because Yuuko jumps about a foot after hearing my voice right next to her. Otherwise, the contents of the box would've scattered everywhere.

"Ah! I'm sorry! I didn't know you were there! You scared me! Not that it's your fault, of course. I should've been paying more attention! I'm so sorry!"

"No, it's really no trouble." Somehow, I had forgotten how high-strung she can be. "I didn't have anything better to do. Just wandering. And wondering."

"Wondering about what?" She still looks nervous, but I figure she appreciates the help.

"Just… have you ever felt that, no matter what you do, you just make things worse?"

The blood drains from her already pale face as she somehow manages to look every more distressed than normal. Without warning, she throws herself on the ground.

"Please don't get me fired! I need this job! I know I mess things up all the time, but I really am getting better! It's like that thing I read in a book, how failure is the quickest path to success! Please, allow me to continue to fail so I can learn how to succeed!"

I stare at her, dumbfounded. She must think I was talking about her. And she probably thinks I was threatening her job, since I'm on the Student Council. Does the Student Council here even have that kind of power? Yuuko seems to think so, at least.

"I wasn’t talking about you. You're doing a great job."

It occurs to me that some of the books I checked out are pretty long overdue. And part of her job would be reminding me of that. So she might not be doing all that great of a job, objectively speaking.

She clearly seems to think the same, considering the expression of disbelief on her face.

"You aren't going to ask me to… 'prove my dedication' for me to keep my job?"

What on Earth is she talking about?

"I can see you're plenty dedicated enough. As far as I'm concerned, your job is safe."

She lets out a sigh, but I can't quite tell if it's relief or disappointment. Getting back to her feet, she grabs the box from me.

"I-I can handle it from here. Thanks for the help!"

She attempts to bow while holding the box and nearly falls over from the effort, then quickly straightens herself and runs off.

Unfortunately, this walk doesn't seem to have magically given me any answers. I make my way back to my room to find Misha asleep in my bed. As I climb into the cramped single bed with her, I notice that her face is wet.

Tears.

What the hell am I doing?

What the hell are we doing?

Act 4 Scene 1 Part 2 (18+) (Disable Adult Content) | Act 4 Scene 2
Last edited by ProfAllister on Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Discord server
Hanako Fancopter

Re: For Want of a Nail - Misha Route (Updated 7/26/19)

Post by Hanako Fancopter »

Poor Misha is as lost as Hicchan!

I wonder what steps they need to take to rekindle their flame ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
An Unusual Friendship (Misha x Hanako Route)
Riposte (Rika Mini-Route)
One-Shots Thread (Random Smut/Meme Stories)