Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Ask!

Post by Silentcook »

I'll clarify a point, since the question asked really touches on two different subjects.

Making a "Katawa Shoujo 2" is still a no, and it will always be a no. The reasons why have indeed been explained multiple times.

Making a VN based on the same idea, as long as that means "making a romance/adult VN about disabled high school students, without using material which is in any way, shape or form part of KS", generally leaves us pretty indifferent. We believe there are no great advantages, and several significant disadvantages, in trying to copy KS. Therefore, we think prospective VN creators would be much better off creating original content, instead of trying to duplicate our example.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

dedsec

Post by dedsec »

Silentcook wrote:I'll clarify a point, since the question asked really touches on two different subjects.

Making a "Katawa Shoujo 2" is still a no, and it will always be a no. The reasons why have indeed been explained multiple times.

Making a VN based on the same idea, as long as that means "making a romance/adult VN about disabled high school students, without using material which is in any way, shape or form part of KS", generally leaves us pretty indifferent. We believe there are no great advantages, and several significant disadvantages, in trying to copy KS. Therefore, we think prospective VN creators would be much better off creating original content, instead of trying to duplicate our example.
Thanks for the reply, my apologies for asking "what may be a tiring" question. I was just curious if the teams opinion on the matter has changed since the announcement of VN maker.
Thank you
~dedsec
It's not how far you get before your done, but what you accomplish getting there.
ThisStillExists?

Post by ThisStillExists? »

I do apologize if this is out of line, feel free to delete this post if so. A friend of mine wants to adapt KS into an audio drama that “takes a few creative liberties and uses a mix of the beta and the final product”. I’ve tried to explain to her that you guys probably don’t want her doing this, but she’s saying that there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with it in the license, and she’d be sad if you guys were dissatisfied. I’ve pointed her to this topic on numerous occasions, but she’s been “too lazy” (probably too scared), so I’m doing it for her (if you’re reading this, Sky, you’re welcome). So, I guess what I’m asking is:
1. Is she actually allowed to do this?
2. If so, how far is she allowed to go with her “creative liberties”?
3. Seeing as how the leaked beta is (understandably) a bit of a sore point, is she allowed to include any bit of it?
4. In the unlikely event she is allowed to do this, do you guys approve?
I’m sorry for asking so much, and thank you for reading all the way through here. I not-so-eagerly await likely having to show her your answer. /:
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

1,2,3,4:no. Well, 2 is just for the sake of providing all of our no, but still.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

ThisStillExists?

Post by ThisStillExists? »

Silentcook wrote:1,2,3,4:no. Well, 2 is just for the sake of providing all of our no, but still.
As I thought. Thank you for answering, and wish me luck breaking the news to her. XD

EDIT: If you don’t mind me asking as well, what did you mean by the part that I put in bold? That if she didn’t make some changes, it’d be okay?
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

No, I meant that since 1 got a negative answer and 2 is dependent on 1 receiving a positive answer, it was pointless to respond to 2.

dedsec

Post by dedsec »

Do you think Hanako would ever swear?
It's not how far you get before your done, but what you accomplish getting there.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

dedsec wrote:Do you think Hanako would ever swear?

Probably. I think everyone swears at some point.

I've only ever known one person who didn't swear, and even then we got her to say "shit" once.

Then again there isn't that much swearing in Japan to begin with so it's a bit of a hard one
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
walrus

Post by walrus »

What would Lilly's, Emi's, Rin's, and Shizune's routes look like if they were subverted instead? Were there any other kinds of fetishes or aggression that you considered to aim at them, to take advantage of their weaknesses?
dedsec

Post by dedsec »

In the years of development how has Hisao Nakai's character changed and is he any different from how he was originally planned?
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

walrus wrote:What would Lilly's, Emi's, Rin's, and Shizune's routes look like if they were subverted instead? Were there any other kinds of fetishes or aggression that you considered to aim at them, to take advantage of their weaknesses?
We decided pretty early on that we didn't feel like writing something that was about taking advantage of the disabled to fulfill a sexual fetish. Surprising, I know. As for what the routes would have looked like if we had, I dunno, but probably bad?
dedsec wrote:In the years of development how has Hisao Nakai's character changed and is he any different from how he was originally planned?
Not much. He was always kind of a cipher, and while we gave him a few touchpoints (he reads a lot, he's interested in science, he played soccer but really didn't care for it that much) as we went along, he remains more of a vehicle for players to imprint themselves on like a baby bird on its mother more than anything else.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

I liked Hisao even if he was never intended to be a deep character.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Hisao is still deeper and better written than 99% of visual novel protagonists.
Not Dead Yet
dedsec

Post by dedsec »

Does Hanako know any english?

(Sorry for all the hanako questions)
dedsec

Post by dedsec »

Wanna wish the devs and everyone here a Happy Holiday season.