Shopping with the girls

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Shopping with the girls

Post by Oddball »

All girls like shopping. I think that's a scientific fact. Even Hanako seemed eager to do some shopping. With shopping comes buying clothes.

So, what kinds of things do they look for? Where do they go?

Here's me putting entirely too much thought put into the subject.

Lilly: Lilly is entirely at the mercy of her Akira for the majority (if not all) of her shopping trips. Lacking the ability to see, patterns, and colors don't matter much to her so she asks for advice on what would make her look good. The lighter more subdued earthtones I'd say where Akira's idea. if shopping with Hanako though, Hanako would push her to more vibrant colors and flashier outfits. I like to think she had something to do with the infamous red dress. Other than that, long shirts are preferred for modesty reasons. The feel of the fabric and the fit is more important than the design to her. She's also one of those types of people that has to try on every single thing. Money is no object. She buys what she wants.

Hanako: Honestly, you've probably seen the majority of Hanako's clothes in the game. I doubt she owns much more than that. Likewise Hanako doesn't seem to have much money. I don't know if she gets living expenses paid out of an inheritance or government disability or what, but she doesn't have a lot of cash. (I did try looking up how disability pay works in Japan. It was a bit over my head.) If given the choice, she'd go to cheaper places, second hand stores, and that sort of thing. She still likes to look cute, but doesn't like to be noticed, so goes with a very plain easy to pass by style with only a slight flair to it. If shopping together, Lilly will usually buy her something, but Hanako sometimes views this as being looked down on.

Emi: Probably the trendiest of the cast. She isn't huge into fashion but tries to keep up at least a little. She has a rather larger collection of stockings in many different styles and colors, although she's likely to just roll them down a little and leave them on her legs when she takes them off. She avoids pants.

Rin: Yes. Even Rin likes shopping. She's not into fashion at all though (something Emi scolds her for sometimes). Nor does she favor a certain style or color pattern. When shopping, she looks around and tries to attach a mood or feeling to clothes and maker her choices based on that. She avoids shoes, tights pants, skirts, dresses, and tends to prefer long sleeves. Slightly baggy clothes work better for her.

Misha: Much like Hanako, she doesn't have a lot of money and goes with the less expensive options. Unlike Hanako, she likes to be noticed and buys odd looking clothes (like stuff with those weird foreign words written on them) and extravagant colors. Although Shizune does influence her tastes slightly. She also enjoys loud socks. Again, like Hanako, her more financially well to do friend is more than happy to buy her a few things. She also likes trying on expensive clothes, although she doesn't ever expect to wear own them.

Shizune: She favors more expensive clothing stores, but still gravitates towards their sales and markdowns. She prefers simple but striking designs. Things that look bold and classy without being overly flamboyant. She also tends shows off a little bit and prefers her shirts tight and her skirts short.
Not Dead Yet
QuietlySomething

Re: Shopping with the girls

Post by QuietlySomething »

I like to imagine Rin wandering around a store with Emi and arbitrarily buying a lot of random clothes that don't match. Like she would dress like an absolute clown if there wasn't somebody there to veto her bad decisions.

Like... I can see her buying light-up tennis shoes.
Toothless

Post by Toothless »

I can see Shizune trying to haggle for every bit of clothing she buy. More for the thrill of it than to save money.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

QuietlySomething wrote:I like to imagine Rin wandering around a store with Emi and arbitrarily buying a lot of random clothes that don't match. Like she would dress like an absolute clown if there wasn't somebody there to veto her bad decisions.

I can see that.

I'm not sure Emi would veto the shoes though.
Not Dead Yet
QuietlySomething

Oddball wrote:
QuietlySomething wrote:I like to imagine Rin wandering around a store with Emi and arbitrarily buying a lot of random clothes that don't match. Like she would dress like an absolute clown if there wasn't somebody there to veto her bad decisions.

I can see that.

I'm not sure Emi would veto the shoes though.
Hahaha, that's a fair point; she may wind up with a pair for herself :P
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Oddball wrote:[Hanako] still likes to look cute, but doesn't like to be noticed, so goes with a very plain easy to pass by style with only a slight flair to it.
I can easily see Hanako owning clothes that are really cute, but show more skin than she's comfortable with, so she only wears them around certain people.

Doesn't Rin prefer sandals to shoes, due to easier removability? (Although I could see Rin buying articles of clothing and then never wearing them.)
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Toothless

Post by Toothless »

When she take Lilly out shopping, Akira always make her wear embarrassing thing. She make her wear maid outfit, nurse outfit, princess dress, and various other cosplay outfit. When Hanako comes along, she is bribed to keep quiet.

On a darker note. When Hanako go shopping on her own, she try a lot of cuter cloth that she see on tv and magazines. She imagine herself wearing them without her scars, on a date with a cute boy. She then come back to Yamaku and cry herself to sleep.

Shizune spend a lot of time trying out various cosplay outfit. Her favorite is Hatsune Miku. She can do all the dance and move her lips to the singing. She would die before letting anyone know about this.
QuietlySomething

emmjay wrote:

Doesn't Rin prefer sandals to shoes, due to easier removability? (Although I could see Rin buying articles of clothing and then never wearing them.)
Oh yeah, I do think that's true.

...I wonder if you can buy light-up sandals?
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

QuietlySomething wrote: ...I wonder if you can buy light-up sandals?
I haven't seen any. But that doesn't mean that they aren't out there.

On the other hand, in the [Rin/Good Ending] -- or even [Emi/Good Ending] storylines, I could see Hisao turning his love of science into making a pair. Here's an example.
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
81pi81

Post by 81pi81 »

I do not think Rin enjoys shopping. She'd rather create her own clothes. Of course it is hard for her to sew, but, in her good ending, Hisao can help!
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

81pi81 wrote:I do not think Rin enjoys shopping. She'd rather create her own clothes. Of course it is hard for her to sew, but, in her good ending, Hisao can help!
I don't really think Rin cares enough about what she wears to go to the trouble of making her own clothes. By the same token, however, I do agree that Rin probably isn't big into clothes shopping.
Personally, I see Hanako as the most likely to want to make her own clothing. At the very least, I can easily see her making clothes for her dolls.

StilesLong

Post by StilesLong »

emmjay wrote:Personally, I see Hanako as the most likely to want to make her own clothing. At the very least, I can easily see her making clothes for her dolls.
I think Hanako would want to make her own clothes but she'd probably take a LOT of pushing to actually do it.

[quote="QuietlySomething]...I wonder if you can buy light-up sandals?[/quote]

Emi would wear light-up runners, if she could....

In my mind, Lilly shops alone or with Hanako, who won't screw her over. She probably gets second opinions from the staff at the store, too.
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

StilesLong wrote:Emi would wear light-up runners, if she could....
Nah, if Emi still had feet, I imagine she'd be far more concerned with whether her shoes provided proper support than what gimmicks they had.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I've always felt that Lilly could use a bonnet.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

emmjay wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:52 pm Nah, if Emi still had feet, I imagine she'd be far more concerned with whether her shoes provided proper support than what gimmicks they had.
Emi would totally be a barefoot runner, for the claimed health benefits. See Zola Budd for reference.

And Rin would toetally be into these:

(As in, she'd buy them in a beat of the KS bandaid heart)