The Day After (new part 8/19)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Deimos

Re: The Day After

Post by Deimos »

Kamon wrote:
Super Guest Man wrote:I would personally like more Lilly fic, but thats mostly because she's my favorite.
Deimos wrote:I would like to see you write about Hanako's and Lilly's relationship from Lilly's perspective
Raze wrote:Tell Lilly's story from her point of view.
I'm getting a very slight inkling that you guys want me to continue from Lilly's point of view. Hmm, I wonder why that could be. :P
That's easy, we hope to confine you to Lilly in order to protect the other girls from you! :D
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Raze

Post by Raze »

So where's the story?
Kamon

Post by Kamon »

Raze wrote:So where's the story?
Still working on it. I've had a few pressing matters to attend to in the past week. Still working on it, the next part is close to being finished.
EDIT: Hectic week. Funeral and a wedding and a ton of other stuff. oy. But! I've written most of the next part. I just have to proofread and touch it up. It should be up by Thursday at the latest
Or Wednesday, it would seem. Hopefully you guys like it. Enjoy?

Lilly's Story - The Afternoon After

The school was quiet save for the footsteps Hisao and I made. My hand was still resting on his wrist from earlier when he had helped me after I became hopelessly lost. I could have easily found my way to the tea room from the entrance of the school but it was much easier to let Hisao lead the way. At least, that was the story I told myself.

As we reached the third floor a sudden question popped into my mind. I felt as if I should ask now, rather than let it fade away least I forget it.

"Hisao?"

"mm, Yes?"

"Just what were you doing up so early?” There don’t seem to be any other people here besides Hisao and myself. That means it must be early, at least before 7:30, maybe even a quarter after. And as nice as he is, Hisao… doesn’t strike me as the type of person who enjoys waking up much earlier than necessary. While I’m not exactly the same way, I can empathize. But still, why was he up so early?

"Oh, well, um” My question seems to have thrown him off somewhat. Hehe. I’m sorry Hisao, but now I have to know. "I was hoping I could join you and Hanako for tea this morning and well… " He says this in a mostly strained, fast paced voice before he trails off mid-sentence.

Hisao’s wrist was starting to feel hot under my touch. Is he agitated? Or maybe embarrassed? He’s starting to squirm a little bit.

“I’m glad that you wanted to join us. I very nearly believed you had some sort of plan, Hisao.”

“What?! How could I-“

I start to giggle aloud. Hisao realizes that I’m merely teasing him. His wrist doesn’t feel as hot anymore. Is he more relaxed now? I really shouldn’t tease him so.

Besides, how could he have known that I would have a directional meltdown this morning? I’m grateful it was he who ran into me and not someone else. It’s also nice to know he wanted to join Hanako and me for tea so much that he woke up early to do so. This nice thought causes me to hum as we continue to the tea room.

When we arrive Hisao pulls back a chair and sits down, while I busy myself preparing tea. I’ve gone through this routine hundreds of times now. I have it down to a nearly exact science. I was enjoying myself, so I lapsed back into humming while I was preparing the tea. After I had placed a cup near Hisao, he spoke up.

“What were you humming?” I didn’t realize I was humming loud enough for him to hear. What was I humming, anyway?

“I believe it’s a song I heard on the radio the other day. It’s been completely stuck in my head for the past few days.” Which was entirely true. Nothing was able to get this song out of my memory. It was catchy enough, and it had a nice beat but regardless, I was growing tired of the chorus repeating over and over again.

“I think I know the one you’re talking about. The one that goes…” He tried to hum it, but his rhythm was slightly off. He wasn’t bad, per se. I wonder if he likes music at all

“It’s more like…” I hummed the tune aloud again. Darn. Now I’ll never get it out of my head.

“Oh, okay, so…” He tried again. A little bit better.

We spent the early morning like that, humming back and forth. One of us would think of a song and I’d hum it. He’d either attempt to hum it or listen, depending on if he knew it or not. Once or twice I even sang a little. I don’t much like singing out in public; I find myself getting…nervous? embarrassed? It was something close to that, at least. Still, singing in front of Hisao wasn’t nerve-racking at all. I even found myself having a little fun.

I learned that Hisao didn’t know much about music, but was willing to listen. I have a decent amount of music knowledge, but no real formal training. I can sing to some small extent and I love listening to music, but I can’t play any instruments whatsoever.

The first bells rang out, telling the students it was eight in the morning. To my ears they almost sounded mournful; as if sorry they were breaking up such a nice morning. Oh well. We have to go to class sometime though.

Hisao asked if he could help clean-up, but I was nearly done before he even asked. He thanked me for the morning and headed out the door. After rinsing out the cups, I made sure I had my bag and cane, and then closed the door behind me. I sighed happily to myself. Today had already been a pretty full day. I pondered how I was going to make it through classes.

I didn’t have to worry much, however. Classes passed by in a blur after my morning with Hisao. The tea was wonderful and the company was very welcomed. It almost made up for the hectic rat race last week had been. Every now and again, I would remember a song Hisao and I had hummed earlier. It brought a smile to my lips. Until the popular radio song came up, upon which I would try to force it out with another song.

Still, I couldn’t help but smile at the thought.

The carillon bells had determined it was noon and proceeded to announce that fact to the school. This also signaled that lunchtime had drawn near. Standing from my desk, I began to trek to class 3-2, Hanako and Hisao's class. I’ve walked this path many times before, so I’ve grown pretty accustomed to it.

I'm sure most people wonder why I’m the one who goes to pick up Hanako instead of the other way around. It's quite simple, really. Any small solace I can provide her is well worth any slight inconvenience to me. And to be honest, it's not too much of a problem at all. Thirty steps and a quick peek into the classroom improves Hanako’s mood tenfold. I’m happy that I can help her.

Not to mention that she's my best friend. I'd do anything for her. Hmm, I was at the classroom already? That was quick. I tapped my cane against the sides of the doors to make sure no one and nothing was in the way. I took a small step into the classroom.

"Hanako?" ....I didn't hear anyone. New tactic.
"Hisao?" ...still nothing.

"Miss Satou?" That voice did not belong to either Hanako or Hisao. Who could it-? Ah. I should've recognized the voice instantly.

"Professor Muto? How are you today, sir?" And why didn’t you say anything when I stepped into the classroom? I guess I should chalk that up to typical Muto behavior. Oh well.

"Mm. You're looking for Ikezawa and Nakai, correct? Miss Ikezawa stepped out around 11. Mister Nakai had some business with the nurse to take care of. You just missed him."

"Ah, thank you very much sir."

"Mm." Was all I got as a response. As per the usual, I guess.

I decided to go to the tea room by myself. Hanako was probably holed up in the library, reading another novel. Usually I would go after her, but considering the time she left her class, she probably doesn't even realize that it’s lunch at the moment. I'll be sure to bring her a sandwich when I finish eating. I’m sure Yuuko won’t mind. Just this once, right?

Hisao, meanwhile, didn't need me searching all over creation for him. I'm sure he could handle the nurse just fine. He's only been here a week so maybe it's a check up on his...

I froze at the word. It's hard to say, even to myself. Ever since Hisao told me about his...condition... a few days ago, I've tried not to dwell on it. On his a-arrhythmia. Arrhythmia. It’s such a simple word with such dire consequences. I don’t like saying it. It’s threatening and technical and dark. It causes me to brood, to become melancholy. I prefer to call it ‘Hisao’s condition’ so that I may avoid the mental hiccup that word caused...

It wasn’t helping. My mind was stuck on Hisao’s condition. He seems like such a nice, carefree person but still, one wrong move, one blow to the chest, just one step over the line drawn in the sand...

I shivered. I don't like thinking about his condition. I could feel myself becoming more disheartened by the second. I didn’t much care for the feeling. I sighed heavily and continued to the tea room.

After fixing myself a sandwich, with extras for Hanako, I sat down at the small table and began to eat. My mind was wandering and I wasn't much in the mood for deep thought to be honest. It had been a tiring day indeed. And it was only lunch! I turned to the novel that I had borrowed from the library the other day to attempt to steer my thoughts away from my gloom

Even as I moved my fingers across the page, I couldn't focus on what I was written. My mind kept traveling to distant and not so distant places. I had read the same sentence about two people named Noah and Allie about five times now. Concentration was eluding me and it was rather annoying. To top it all off, the pop song from early was drumming around my mind, further hampering my intent to read.

I’ve read the same line six times. Seven. Now eight. For some reason, the words just weren't sinking in. Okay, I give up. I suppose I'll have to try again sometime. I can't keep anything straight today.

The reason for my mental anguish was simple enough. I knew the answer, but it was painful to admit.

I was worried about Hisao. Dreadfully worried. I wanted him to be okay, to not have this… condition. I wanted him to join me for tea again, like this morning. I wanted to spend more time with him. He was so fun to be with and things were always enjoyable with him around. My mind was rapidly spiraling downward. I was beginning to feel incredibly wistful.

“No...” I was speaking out loud now. I stood up. I wasn’t going to let myself give in to melancholy. I can’t change Hisao’s past, or why he came here nor can I cure his condition. But I can at least be there for him if he needs me. And always offer him tea and friendship. He'd enjoy that.

This is enough to pull me out of my sadness. I can’t be down or sad. It doesn’t solve anything and it’d make Hisao worry needlessly. I nod to myself, to affirm this. Yes. It might not be much, but I’d do anything to help a friend. Especially Hi-

…Hanako!

I completely forgot to take Hanako her lunch! Oh shoot, what time is it, what time is it? Darn it! Where did I leave her food, what time is it, where’s my cane? My mind is in a frenzy to take Hanako a bite to eat before the lunch period is over. Okay, Lilly, food’s on the table, I should get her something to drink, lunch probably isn’t over yet, the cane is… in. my. hand. I’m apparently very flighty when I’m in a rush.

On my way to the library, I reach into my bag to pull out my cell phone. Not to call anyone, but to check the time. A watch would be all but impossible for me to use. Not to mention they’re prohibitively expensive. I tilt the phone towards my ear and press a few buttons. It’s only 12:45. Wonderful, I should have just enough time.

Being careful not to run into anyone, I walk into the library and call out in a quiet voice. “Hello? Yuuko? Hanako?” No response. This feels oddly familiar.

I decide to head back to what I call ‘Hanako’s alcove’, the spot she’s always reading it. She truly does love that little spot. I can hear pages being turned and rather rapidly at that, so someone must be there. I try to call out to her again. “Hanako?”

Rustle. Rustle. Rustle. “L-Lilly?” Good. She’s here.

“I brought you some lunch.” I reach into my bag and pull out the sandwich I made for her and the thermos I had filled before I left.

“Is it…already lunch?” Seems that I was right earlier. She didn’t have a clue it was time to eat. I can hear her stomach grumbling a little bit. Poor thing.

“Mmhmm. It should be okay to eat in here. Yuuko doesn’t appear to be around.”

“Thanks L-Lilly.”

“You’re welcome sweetie.” The girl knows how to bring out my maternal instincts. Hanako is a shy child and a little sister wrapped into one package. She’s come a long way since when I first met her. A few years ago she was absolutely terrified at the thought of just living near someone she didn’t know.

But Hanako gradually began to warm up to me, even more so when she came to understand I was blind and had been since birth. The night she found that out, we stayed up all night talking. She asked a lot about my blindness. But in all honesty, there wasn’t much to say. I’ve never been able to see. I wish I could lie and say that I’ve never wished that sometimes I could see the world and all it’s glory but… I’m okay with that. I came to terms with it long ago.

After I told her about my blindness, she opened up. She even told me a little about her scars and burns. She told me how she hated to be looked at, or even thought of being looked at and how it made her physically ill to be around people sometimes.

Hanako and I became each others’ best friends after that night. She comforted me and I, her. I love her just as much as I love my own sister, Akira.

“Hanako, I believe it's almost time for lunch to be over. Are you going to be heading back?”

“I think…I think I’ll read some more.” That’s perfectly fine with me.

“Okay, why don’t you come by the tea room later? Maybe we’ll play chess?” Chess. I’m afraid that I am not that great at chess, but it’s fun to play nonetheless. We’ve developed a system to help overcome my obvious hindrances, but I must confess: Hanako still beats me regularly.

“O-okay” Hanako sounds happy. Normally when she escapes class she either comes off as extremely panicked or very nervous. I can’t sense either of those in her voice, so she must have calmed down a bit. She probably just reached a good part in her novel and will go back to class when she’s done. I wave in her direction and stand to leave.

The carillon bells belt out another wail to announce our supposed return to class. Walking back to the classroom I can’t help but hum that catchy pop song again. Today turned out to be a pretty fine day after all. An especially fine day, actually.
Last edited by Kamon on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paths complete: Lilly, Emi
Current path: Shizune
Current percentage: 69%. It's a sex thing.
Super Guest Man

Re: The Day After (new part 8/19)

Post by Super Guest Man »

Delightful read once again. Really enjoy your take on Lillys perspective. Its very cute and feels true to the character imo. Again I ask for more!
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Why does the slab of stone in my chest feel so warm? I-Is it the weather??
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Kamon

Post by Kamon »

Super Guest Man wrote:Delightful read once again. Really enjoy your take on Lillys perspective. Its very cute and feels true to the character imo. Again I ask for more!
Thank you! 'True to the character' is some of the best praise a fanfiction author can ask for. I enjoy writing it and I'll try to write some more soon.
Deimos wrote:Why does the slab of stone in my chest feel so warm? I-Is it the weather??
That must be it, indeed. :P
Raze

Post by Raze »

I prepared for disappointment, but you delivered!
The Lilly of your fanfic seems to be the same as the dev's Lilly. Awesome.
Kamon

Post by Kamon »

Raze wrote:I prepared for disappointment, but you delivered!
The Lilly of your fanfic seems to be the same as the dev's Lilly. Awesome.
Such a nice compliment. Thank you!
EDIT: brainstorming the next part now. attempting to figure out where to take Lilly on this little story of mine.
Hydra

Post by Hydra »

Kamon wrote:A watch would be all but impossible for me to use
i'm pretty sure braille watches exist. and with further research google tells me that they exist but talking watches are more commonly used.

Kamon

Post by Kamon »

Hydra wrote:
i'm pretty sure braille watches exist. and with further research google tells me that they exist but talking watches are more commonly used.
Hmm. Whoops. I remember looking into talking watches, but I recall deciding they were too expensive or too cumbersome for Lilly to have one. Or something like that. Either way, let's just chalk it up to me being an idiot.

EDIT: Soooooo, it's been a while. Dunno if anyone is still checking this thread, but I'm still writing. I've been busy. The next part will be up when I get a break from all the tests going on.
Last edited by Kamon on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

After nearly two years with Lilly on the brain, even Suriko fucks up. See below.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Azuell

Post by Azuell »

I really like this. Keep up the good work :)
trekki859

Post by trekki859 »

Kamon wrote:
Hydra wrote:
Hmm. Whoops. I remember looking into talking watches, but I recall deciding they were too expensive or too cumbersome for Lilly to have one. Or something like that. Either way, let's just chalk it up to me being an idiot.

EDIT: Soooooo, it's been a while. Dunno if anyone is still checking this thread, but I'm still writing. I've been busy. The next part will be up when I get a break from all the tests going on.
you know i think you underestimate yourself your actually pretty good and like someone eals said you match the devs Lilly perfectly which is always good =D
in the wise words of Jack O'neill ..."what?"
shinigami_mai

Post by shinigami_mai »

please continue with lilly, this i very close to how i think she would think, your writing style is good, keep up the good works, looking forward to more with lilly.
From darkness we are born, to darkness we return, but who is to say the light in-between can not be joyous.