"Can You Open Your Heart?" - a Rika pseudo-route

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Rikabro

Re: "Can You Open Your Heart?" - a Rika pseudo-route

Post by Rikabro »

Patriqwp wrote:Can I ask for your blessing Rikabro?
Heh, sure, do what you wanna do.

Humble thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Same goes for everyone else, it's nice to know people are still reading and enjoying this story.
Writer for Familiarity. I also have an anime blog.
Patriqwp

Post by Patriqwp »

You simply deserve it.
May I ask something? Whether you are planning make act 1 with Rika's story? Please, give me at least hope :P
Rikabro

Post by Rikabro »

Patriqwp wrote:You simply deserve it.
May I ask something? Whether you are planning make act 1 with Rika's story? Please, give me at least hope :P
I might. I've thought about it. It's been a long time since I've written KS fanfic though. I'd have to be really inspired and come up with some cute scenes that knit into the overall framework of Act One. If I did it would probably have fake choices like themocaw's Saki route did, just for flavour.

Meanwhile you should check out some of the other fanfic on the forums, there's some really good stuff here.
Spiner909

Post by Spiner909 »

Woo, this was a pretty good story.
Not really sure how I feel about the good end though.
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

Read this a while back, never did end up commenting on it.

Beautiful. Just. Just beautiful...
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
Craftyatom

Post by Craftyatom »

Well, as long as this post is already bumped, may as well put in my good word for it. Well-written, well thought out, and made me feel the feely feels. Also only one of two routes, fan or proper, that I have ever gotten the good ending for on the first try.

Good job making something I really enjoyed!
Main route: COM(promise)
One-shots: Crafty's One-Shots (Dark Winter Sky, Dreamy, Path of Least Resistance, Project Blue Curtain, and more!)
Old poetry: Google Drive Collection
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I've long been of the opinion on this one that the neutral ending is the actual good ending.

But, that's merely a matter of how unlikable this particular Rika is...
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
emi

Re: Rika Story - updated 5/1/2012 (mature content)

Post by emi »

I know it's been at least 4 years since this was written, and it is a damn good story, but one thing bothers me that no one seems to have pointed out.
Rikabro wrote:
The sound of thunder booms overhead, catching us both by surprise. Rika straightens up and looks at me over her shoulder. Her face takes on a look of concentration, her eyes searching the ceiling of the tent as there’s anything she could see. A few seconds later, she raises her left hand and snaps her fingers, and a bright flash of lightning illuminates the orange tent for a split second.

I’m roused from my slumber with a start as a crash of thunder is heard, then another, followed by two flashes of lightning.

Another loud crash of thunder descends, louder than the previous ones, and she grips my shoulder. Almost instantly a flash of lightning illuminates us,

It’s becoming difficult to count the seconds, or tell which lightning flashes correspond to which sounds.
Thunder comes after lightning, not the other way around.
Emi > Misha > Miki > Suzu > Lilly > Hanako > Rika > Saki > Rin > Shizune
Art: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10495
HaruIsOnline

Post by HaruIsOnline »

I remember when I first began reading your story in early 2012, I couldn't get enough of your Rika and KS cast. The waits between updates were always worth it, it was a good day to come home from work and see I had some reading in store for me from yourself. At that time my life was in a negative and uncertain place, I eventually forgot a lot of the past times I used to enjoy on the internet and otherwise, but now, several years later things have certainly changed. I never did get to finish your story back then but as I had stumbled across some old music I used to listen to, some of which while reading this, a surge of emotions came back to me as I recalled all of this. I have to say, after rereading up until the final installment, as before it was still worth it. Thanks for this Rikabro. I know you may never see this but thank you for this and thanks for making Rika my favorite KS character that never was. Best of luck to you and your future projects and endeavors, whatever they may be.
I hope after all those two have been through together with Rika now seeing things a bit differently through her subtle lack of a certain influence on Hisao, that not every word will have to count so heavily after all.
Rikabro

Re: Rika Story - updated 5/1/2012 (mature content)

Post by Rikabro »

HaruIsOnline wrote:I remember when I first began reading your story in early 2012, I couldn't get enough of your Rika and KS cast. The waits between updates were always worth it, it was a good day to come home from work and see I had some reading in store for me from yourself. At that time my life was in a negative and uncertain place, I eventually forgot a lot of the past times I used to enjoy on the internet and otherwise, but now, several years later things have certainly changed. I never did get to finish your story back then but as I had stumbled across some old music I used to listen to, some of which while reading this, a surge of emotions came back to me as I recalled all of this. I have to say, after rereading up until the final installment, as before it was still worth it. Thanks for this Rikabro. I know you may never see this but thank you for this and thanks for making Rika my favorite KS character that never was. Best of luck to you and your future projects and endeavors, whatever they may be.
I hope after all those two have been through together with Rika now seeing things a bit differently through her subtle lack of a certain influence on Hisao, that not every word will have to count so heavily after all.
Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm sorry that I put off the final installment so long. Most of this story was written while I was feeling really inspired and I had a million ideas going, but the ending required a bit of reworking from what I originally planned because of the direction I ended up taking. It's neat how KS sparked so many imaginations like this and got people so enthusiastic about all the "what ifs" and made us want to delve so deeply into the characters and try to understand them. Those were good times. I still think about them fondly too.
emi wrote:Thunder comes after lightning, not the other way around.
Well yeah, that's why she was so surprised.
NelNinja

Post by NelNinja »

Actual first post on this forum incoming:

I'm not sure how to put into words how I feel about this story. Anything I say isn't going to convey how deep my love for it is without sounding like a fish in space but I'll try: good lord, why is this not an actual route in the damn game! That April Fools post was the best decision that they never followed through on and then they go and ban people from making mods to include stories that work to only make the story better. What the hell!

That said, I think this is the first story I've read where all the endings make sense, much like Hanako's route. Many of the fanfics that I've read on this site (admittedly not many) don't quite feel like they fit the tone and purpose of the base KS game but you have nailed it dead on. Kudos on that and the surprisingly upbeat tone you managed to end on. I never questioned if Hisao was on character, noteable since you skipped Act 1--why deprive me of their festival date Rikabro, why?!

Just turned a friend into KS a few days ago, this will definitely be one of the first fics I give to him once he finishes the game.

Back to lurking now, can't say too much or I'll make a fool of myself.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing
Character Impressions:
Misha>Emi=Hanako=Lilly=Shizune=Rin
I wrote things!
The Sound of Silence - Shizune one-shot
Pilgrimage - A Subversion of Fate - Hisao sans heart attack (Uncancelled)
PB and Bananas (Post Rin good ending one-shot)
Rikabro

Post by Rikabro »

NelNinja wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:41 am Actual first post on this forum incoming:

I'm not sure how to put into words how I feel about this story. Anything I say isn't going to convey how deep my love for it is without sounding like a fish in space but I'll try: good lord, why is this not an actual route in the damn game! That April Fools post was the best decision that they never followed through on and then they go and ban people from making mods to include stories that work to only make the story better. What the hell!

That said, I think this is the first story I've read where all the endings make sense, much like Hanako's route. Many of the fanfics that I've read on this site (admittedly not many) don't quite feel like they fit the tone and purpose of the base KS game but you have nailed it dead on. Kudos on that and the surprisingly upbeat tone you managed to end on. I never questioned if Hisao was on character, noteable since you skipped Act 1--why deprive me of their festival date Rikabro, why?!

Just turned a friend into KS a few days ago, this will definitely be one of the first fics I give to him once he finishes the game.

Back to lurking now, can't say too much or I'll make a fool of myself.
Thank you for the kind words. I was just thinking about this forum today and it was nice to see a comment on this old story. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Razoredge

Post by Razoredge »

First at all, I have to admit, I love Rika.

And... good lord, I love this story.

You really made a good job. Sincerely.

I really loved it.
Lilly = Akira > Miki = Hanako > Emi > Rin > Shizune

Stuff I'm currently writing : Beyond the haze : A Lilly Satou pseudo-route, Lullaby of an open heart : A Saki pseudo-route & Sakura Blossom : A way with Hisao
MrMadrid

Post by MrMadrid »

Great story, I love Rika's way of being, something nihilistic, but also wanting to enjoy every second to show her lack of fear of death, although like any other human being she wants to be accepted, although for others her actions may be incomprehensible. .. Capable edte book would have benefited from an Act 1, but I can still join the points. Finally, beautiful narration and characterization, everything that had to be said, it was said.
StealthyWolf

Post by StealthyWolf »

It occurs to me that I'm kind of just bumbling through the forums commenting on things left untouched for years indiscriminately, but that works for me. Forgive me for the short ramble, but when I first played Katawa Shoujo a few months back it triggered a lot of changes in my perception of the world and even more so of me. Since then I've changed a lot, I think, and it's been a wild ride to look back on. When I read stories like this one, it reminds me why the original game effected me so much. It encapsulates a lot of what has defined me for years. This story is much the same for different reasons.

First of all, it is a really well written and intriguing story. The only other 2 Rika-routes I've thus far read have had her be more cheerful than not, but this one feels just as real, if not more, in my mind to how she might be. The way she was written, the decisions she makes, the actions she takes, it just works from beginning to end. It's also rather fitting given what her story tells. She's living on the edge in every way she can, even when it comes to her relationship with Hisao, she pushes it to the edge. She pushes him to the edge. I think that's why her back and forth with Emi works so well. She's a more extreme version of Emi in that specific regard. Emi likes to push people and especially herself, but never beyond what she thinks they can handle, unless it's herself. Rika on the other hand pushes everyone she cares about, including herself, to their absolute limits. It's an interesting thing to watch play out and I quite enjoyed it as well.

Then there's Hisao and all he does. I always find it interesting how people say Hisao is a completely different character in every route. I never really saw it that way. I think Hisao is facing some of the biggest changes in his life, and he doesn't have a clue on where to start when facing them. Things like his future, mortality, the value of those around him, and so many more things come into question after his first attack. Every route expands on similar ideas in very different ways. To me, Hisao has never been an empty shell that changes shape to the routes around him, just a roaming spirit hoping to find some shelter. In the case of this story, it's facing his mortality head on. On one hand he can violently reject the idea and send Rika into a (short lived) spiral of her own, in another he harshly cuts off the notion after living in it for so long. Even then though, it's not pretty, the issues and everything that goes with it are still there. On the other hand, what if he stopped letting his mortality dictate his life? What if he just stopped and lived, even for a day? But at the same time, maybe that's too much still, what if you lived today so that you could do all the same and even more tomorrow? I think that's a message I got from this story, and it was told well. Is it a perfect interpretation? I don't think so in the slightest, but I think it's a fitting one. Hisao and Rika were lost in a spiral of their own, and just so happened to be able to slow each other down in just the right way. I guess this section also got very rambly. Point is, I liked it very much.

Back to my original topic for a moment. This story reminds me a bit of my own fears in life. The idea that maybe I can slow down and live today for the sake of living today stuck a chord with me and maybe it'll help me move forward as well. I think there's more I want to say in that regard but I can't seem to put it into words right now so that'll have to do.

Thanks for the amazing story should you ever get a chance to read this!
My Writing:
Uncertainty (A post Emi-Good Ending Story)
My Shorts and One-shots