Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Jake Zero

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

Post by Jake Zero »

brythain wrote:
Jake Zero wrote:I was NOT being offensive or anything of the sort. Eurobeatjester can support me on this.
The thing about the craft of the writer, especially in online forums, is that it requires the ability to somehow convey appropriate mood and nuance. EBJ's support is irrelevant here. If your statement was rhetorical, then it was pointlessly so; if your statement was a direct query, it was pointlessly offensive. Modern readers and writers (and I suppose those who feel browbeaten by the death of the author idea) tend to think that intention doesn't count, so assertion of purpose is sufficient one way or the other, positively or negatively. I'd rather you had responded by saying something like, "I was not intending to be offensive and I apologise if it was thought to be so, and I also have a sense of humour." :D

That said, I shall humorously draw a monomolecular line across your conversational apparatus if Leaty humorously decides not to update Iwanako longer than she would normally do so. See, I too have a sense of humour, sometimes rhetorically so. Apologies all round, it's too early or late to be inebriated...

Woohoo. The blood, the Gothic, this is what happens when I look at wine and think of Carmilla. Okay, I shall stumble my way out of this minefield and go back to my bleak little druthering outcrop of fanfic.
You are a sick fuck, you know that?
YOTC

Post by YOTC »

brythain wrote: Woohoo. The blood, the Gothic, this is what happens when I look at wine and think of Carmilla. Okay, I shall stumble my way out of this minefield and go back to my bleak little druthering outcrop of fanfic.

So... I was the only one thinking of This Carmilla?
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Uhm... Well, it looks like I may have chosen a bad time to join this discussion.
Leaty wrote:My headcanon of bhtooefr's headcanon is that it's all in continuity with Cormac McCarthy's The Road and nothing in the VN matters because everybody's gonna die in, like, a year.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Jake Zero wrote:You are a sick fuck, you know that?
Were you intending to be offensive here? :lol:
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Jake Zero

Post by Jake Zero »

brythain wrote:
Jake Zero wrote:You are a sick fuck, you know that?
Were you intending to be offensive here? :lol:
Yes.
SolitudeFreak

Post by SolitudeFreak »

So what exactly classifies something as 'yuri'? Does it specifically need to focus on a romantic aspect, or something specific?
I honestly am not sure; I just associated the word with lesbians.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

SolitudeFreak wrote:So what exactly classifies something as 'yuri'? Does it specifically need to focus on a romantic aspect, or something specific?
I honestly am not sure; I just associated the word with lesbians.
Simply (or perhaps simplistically) "yuri" is more about the target audience than the content -- it's material aimed at people who like watching girls get it on with girls and/or being romantic with other girls, lesbian or not.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

brythain

Post by brythain »

Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown suddenly appears to refer to a narrative involving rail transport of some kind. However, I prefer to think of it as a real transport of the mind, in which we accompany the heroine on a journey with a perilous and romantic future that has not yet been laid out in rail real terms. I salute Leaty for a work that continues to enthrall even after my third reading.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
vdawg1337

Post by vdawg1337 »

brythain wrote:Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown suddenly appears to refer to a narrative involving rail transport of some kind.
It's a ride to be sure
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

I LOOK AWAY FOR TWO SECONDS, AND THIS HAPPENS.

Jake, be nice to Bry. I've never seen him angry, and that alone is terrifying.

On a related note,
brythain wrote:Okay, I shall stumble my way out of this minefield and go back to my bleak little druthering outcrop of fanfic.
I worry that I might have broken him already...
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

I swear to fucking christ people do not make me use mod powers I am not responsible for what happens if I have to use mod powers (SC is like a benevolent spirit compared to what happens when I use mod powers). Do not shit up one of the only things on this forum I've decided to follow, do not make other posters uncomfortable by failing to carefully consider your words (we have edit buttons so you can even go back and change your post if you decide you did not think it through enough the first time--also, I can edit your posts too, though I would appreciate if you'd never force my hand on that score), and do not decide the best thing to do after a mod has requested you to stop derailing conversation is to make further jokes about how the thread has been derailed.

Leaty, you do good work. I hope you continue to do so. You also have a very intelligent view of the term yuri that I appreciate--words mean things, and it is important to keep in mind. Continue to think carefully about words. It makes your writing worth following.

EDIT (see how you can edit?): And don't apologize in here for your behavior! Just be better! Better behavior is your apology!
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Jake Zero wrote:Eurobeatjester can support me on this.
I understood what you were asking, but that being said, it could have been phrased a lot better.

Leaty, your explanation makes complete sense :)
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Jake Zero

Post by Jake Zero »

Eurobeatjester wrote:I understood what you were asking, but that being said, it could have been phrased a lot better.
I realized that. I'm kinda like Misha in that I don't think before I speak.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

So, is it finally over? Can we forget this whole shitstorm happened and go back to talking about how awesome this fanfic is?
Leaty wrote:My headcanon of bhtooefr's headcanon is that it's all in continuity with Cormac McCarthy's The Road and nothing in the VN matters because everybody's gonna die in, like, a year.