Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Liminaut

Re: Ask!

Post by Liminaut »

Aura wrote: Anyway, to me that decision represents the relentlessness and commitment that we displayed at our best. We were (sometimes) willing to throw out work or redo it however many times if it wasn't up to scratch. It's also a fucking stupid and insane way of making stuff, because that way you never get anything actually made and I have no idea how KS ever got completed.
One of the best books on software development written is "The Mythical Man-Month" by Fred Brooks. The first guideline in the book is "plan on throwing one away". So, you're in pretty good company.
gorgo

Post by gorgo »

Rin's surname, is an homage to Tezuka Osamu?
Emi=Hanako=Lilly=Rin=Shizune
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Yea
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

Did you guys start the project expecting to finish it, or did you think it was eventually going to get dropped? And, was there a point during development where you thought the project was going to die?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Kon22 wrote:Did you guys start the project expecting to finish it, or did you think it was eventually going to get dropped? And, was there a point during development where you thought the project was going to die?
I don't think that anyone signed up thinking that it would fail. That just wouldn't make sense.

When starting I think we didn't really mind if it wasn't finished, but as it built up steam it became unstoppable.

After talking to a few of the devs recently I think almost everyone wanted to quit at one point or another, but I think that was always done in the knowledge that the rest of the team would keep going.

But yes, there were dark days, like the NOART period and also when Aura pressed us to re-do Act 1, where I guess you can say that it was looking too hard to fix the problems and it was better to start again.

I guess you could say that the whole project died a few times; very little of the original artwork or storylines made it through the complete re-writes...
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

At least you didn't do a Diablo 3 and remake the game three times, taking huge chunks from each iteration and cramming it in regardless of if it fit or not.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

ArcCain wrote:At least you didn't do a Diablo 3 and remake the game three times, taking huge chunks from each iteration and cramming it in regardless of if it fit or not.
Who said that isn't exactly ouo development process?

------
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

I know you somewhat researched into Hisao's disease to keep it somewhat realistic. Were you worried about depicting something from Japan's culture/geography wrong? And, was there something you had overseen and had to "fix" later?
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

cpl_crud wrote:Who said that isn't exactly ouo development process?
If that is how you did it you did a way better job than Blizzard.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Apart from Misha's nicknames for Hisao and Shizune there are no honorifics used, why didn't KS use honorifics?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

ArcCain wrote:Apart from Misha's nicknames for Hisao and Shizune there are no honorifics used, why didn't KS use honorifics?

Because it is incredibly weaboo and looks crap in the text. Plus, we are non-Japanese authors writing in English. It was basically a misappropriation of culture.

Although I do recall that I was an advocate for honorifics at the time..

------
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

You guys worked together for years...has this thread revealed things to you about your fellow developers that you didn't know? And if so, what?
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Nothing I can think of.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Eurobeatjester wrote:You guys worked together for years...has this thread revealed things to you about your fellow developers that you didn't know? And if so, what?

I guess I learnt that most of the devs had similar insecurities about the project, but probably not too much...

------
Dravening

Hello there~

Post by Dravening »

Kinda new to those forums here, and as I saw, there is still activity after all those years and I am quite glad to see that.
I noticed that the last version of this game is finally released, and there will be no more after it, reaching it's end as a wonderful game.
I do have some questions and I already know that they are probably answered before to these forums, but my time is limited and makes the searching for them diffucult for me to find them. As a big fan of the game, I would like to know from the developers themselves:

1- Since this game made it's final steps, what are the plans for the future from all of you? If there are still plans, will those plans be made for a new game, like entirely? A KS2 was as I saw not a suitable option, so maybe a similar game with a similar concept is in your field of views?
If details cannot unfortunately be told or explained, is a "time period" possible to be mentioned for those plans to be made from all of you?

2- This must sound like a weird question, but is there an online place that you sell products from this, or from further games?

3- Last but maybe a bit too much as a question. How old are you guys that worked for this visual novel? I am mostly asking this because I am kinda interested to know about people themselves putting that much spirit for project like this, and I would love to see myself also helping for the creation of such a masterpiece.

I apologise if I am making you repeat your answers from those frequently asked question(if asked already). Thank you for taking your time to read this and good luck with whatever you decide to do and follow with your lives!~

Sincerly, a fan of your work.