Yamaku Book Club (20220124 Dish Washing)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Re: Yamaku Book Club (Meeting Update: Aug/Sep—Hanako)

Post by Blank Mage »

brythain wrote:What I'm also interested in is what she does with her inputs: she reads a lot, she is a pretty good language processor — newspaper club and all. What are her romantic influences, her fictional role models, that kind of thing?
Being well read, I'd imagine Hanako's tastes are probably more mature than most. I'm not particularly good with Japanese literature, I have to admit, but I can't see her reading the light novel stuff most high schoolers (and otaku) enjoy. Science fiction also doesn't seem to fit her image. I could see her enjoying fantasy settings, maybe even preferring them, as long as the suspension of disbelief is kept to a reasonable level. Role models would be anyone who rises to greatness (or even mediocrity) from a place of worthlessness. She'd like stories that portray her version of the world; one where everything can and will go wrong, where villains aren't always obvious, where heroes aren't always knights in shining armor. Friendships aren't always easy or painless. Realistic stories, with realistic perils, or parallels of them. Anything less would only be shallow and trite, compared to the hard truths she's internalized.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong! I'm talking about a fictional characters favorite fictional characters. If this gets any more meta, we'll need Christopher Nolan to storyboard it.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Blank Mage wrote:Science fiction also doesn't seem to fit her image.
Oh, I don't know. She did enjoy Dune, after all...

EDIT: Actually, I don't think Hanako really cares much about the genre of what she's reading so much as whether or not she can relate to the characters of the story. However, I don't think she's delved much into romance-based stories before the VN, since by her own admission she never expected such a thing to be part of her life. Paul Atreides would be an...interesting role model for her, though.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
brythain

Post by brythain »

dewelar wrote:[Paul Atreides would be an...interesting role model for her, though.
Imagine the wonderful horrors that would await us if she chose Chani or Ghanima as her role-models instead... :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Another book Hanako was mentioned reading in the VN was Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami. According to the article, the novel (as well as several of Murakami's other books) deals with loss, abandonment and alienation. It's possible she read that book because it hit a personal spot. (I made a brief mention of the book in the scene in Sisterhood where Hiroyuki Satou was introduced and where his mentioning another book by Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart, as his personal favorite served as a foreshadowing into his own personality and backstory) It's possible Hanako was reading Life of Pi for a similar reason.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Sadako

Post by Sadako »

brythain wrote:Imagine the wonderful horrors that would await us if she chose Chani or Ghanima as her role-models instead... :D
Or chose the path of the Bene Gesserit.

“I h-hold at your neck the Gom Jabbar, Hisao.”
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Guest Poster wrote:Another book Hanako was mentioned reading in the VN was Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami. According to the article, the novel (as well as several of Murakami's other books) deals with loss, abandonment and alienation. It's possible she read that book because it hit a personal spot.
This is essentially my thinking as well--Hanako would read Vonnegut or Plath, but not so much Hemingway.
Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

Sadako wrote:Or chose the path of the Bene Gesserit.

“I h-hold at your neck the Gom Jabbar, Hisao.”
"And how can this be? For Hisao is the Kwisatz Haderach!"
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

brythain wrote:
dewelar wrote:
brythain wrote:What short Hanako fiction do you like most, or has made the greatest impact (good or bad) on you—and why?
Short fiction...hmmm...how short is short?
I think Asimov or somebody said under 3000 words was short-short and under 10000 was short. These days, 'short story' weighs in at up to 20000 words. My rule of thumb is that you can read it through at one sitting without (much) strain. Clearly, things like Sisterhood, Developments and AtD don't make the cut... :D

Edit: Heh, it seems to be a matter of record that you liked 'Change in Management'. :)
Is that generally held in poor esteem? I thought most of the community had forgotten it, or at least didn't hate it too badly.
brythain

Post by brythain »

forgetmenot wrote:
brythain wrote:Edit: Heh, it seems to be a matter of record that you liked 'Change in Management'. :)
Is that generally held in poor esteem? I thought most of the community had forgotten it, or at least didn't hate it too badly.
No! What I meant was that it was on the record that dewelar liked the piece. I liked it too. Hey, don't go inferring the wrong thing now... :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
kaserkin

Post by kaserkin »

brythain wrote:
forgetmenot wrote:
brythain wrote:Edit: Heh, it seems to be a matter of record that you liked 'Change in Management'. :)
No! What I meant was that it was on the record that dewelar liked the piece. I liked it too. Hey, don't go inferring the wrong thing now... :)
I've read that one a while ago. It's a nice little story, like most in the anniversary thread (I think we should do another of these in the future, by the way). Better than most 'Hanako and Hisao meet again' stories, I daresay. Mostly because they don't end up together (yet) :P
brythain

Post by brythain »

kaserkin wrote:It's a nice little story, like most in the anniversary thread (I think we should do another of these in the future, by the way). Better than most 'Hanako and Hisao meet again' stories, I daresay. Mostly because they don't end up together (yet) :P
The library's anniversary was 25 August, and I suppose we're allowed a month's grace. If anyone wrote anything, it seems likely that people would be interested. :)
brythain

Announcements

Post by brythain »

I'd like to announce the topic of the second half of September, starting Friday 18 Sep (I figure Friday updates give more people time to look at some good writing).

This took some thinking, because while this character doesn't have a main route, a lot of people think it would be good to have one. Some good writers have agreed, and written accordingly.

So for discussion opening on 18 September, I would like to introduce:

Misha — Shiina Mikado — Behind the Drills

And leading the slate of Misha readings is:

For Want of a Nail — Misha Route

by ProfAllister, who has kindly consented to be co-chair for the period.
As part of her duties, she has volunteered further readings with comments.
I'll post them within the week. Meanwhile, to whet your appetite, read this. :)

Go ahead, have some Misha. You know you want to... :)
Last edited by brythain on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
brythain

Misha — Shiina Mikado: Behind the Drills

Post by brythain »

Here's a message from ProfAllister, which I've told her I'd be using to launch this new session on Misha.

All the pieces can be found in the top post of this thread [HERE].
ProfAllister wrote:I'll have to think on this a little more, but the ones that come off the top of my head:

"Closure" by WetCrate - The ur-example. Pretty sure it had already been discussed in the book club (same for Mirage's "Katawa Kijo"). Beautifully written, but, in my opinion, barely KS. [LINK]

"Blame" by pip25 - Without warning, a complete Misha epilogue popped up the weekend I had my first kid. I've got a lot of respect for pip, and the story is generally good - a few parts are quite overwrought, but overall very well done. [LINK]

"Misha in the City" series by Hoitash - A very different take on Misha. I feel it took a few wrong turns overall, and the follow-up bits rapidly lost my interest, but I can't really say it was bad - just not my cup of tea. [LINK]

Most of the works by Doomish - Doomish was one of the finest writers this forum has seen. He had a tendency toward dark and unpleasant, but he was also able to write some amazing scenes. Of particular note, he was the original Misha Route author. I felt that it was a nice story, but not the Misha I felt was there, so I started my own. I was pretty convinced that my route was generally ignored in favor of his, up until the day he said he was shuttering it because he felt my route was much better (followed by everyone agreeing O.o). [LINK1] and [LINK2]

I'm sure there are others, but these came to mind first. Of these, I'd say Blame and Doomish's stuff deserves the most attention. And Doomish's stuff being in the situation it is, not sure how open people will be to covering it (a bit of a shame).
Further readings can be found also in the top post of this thread [HERE].

Enjoy! All contributions are welcome!
Last edited by brythain on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Re: Yamaku Book Club (Meeting Resumes — Misha!)

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hmm... Technically, Katawa Kijo is a Misha Route as well (It might even have been the first one, but I'd have to check to be sure.), but it's been the topic in this thread before, so we should probably leave it out.

Of the others, I've always been most partial to Closure, a story that was released almost at the same time as the Full version of KS, so it's probably the last pre-release story on these forums.

And I've always had a special place in my heart for Constant Companion - one of the first fics I read when I came to these forums, and a story I recommend to everyone who wants more Misha.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
brythain

Re: Yamaku Book Club (Meeting Resumes — Misha!)

Post by brythain »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Hmm... Technically, Katawa Kijo is a Misha Route as well (It might even have been the first one, but I'd have to check to be sure.), but it's been the topic in this thread before, so we should probably leave it out.

Of the others, I've always been most partial to Closure, a story that was released almost at the same time as the Full version of KS, so it's probably the last pre-release story on these forums.

And I've always had a special place in my heart for Constant Companion - one of the first fics I read when I came to these forums, and a story I recommend to everyone who wants more Misha.
No no, can't leave Katawa Kijo out; ProfA referred to it and I left the link out! :oops: My mistake! The main thread post now has it in its appropriate place. I have also put in the link in the session post. Sorry! And Constant Companion also appears in the main thread post now, again.