Can You Accept Your Fate? - Saki Pseudo Route (Ch. 8, 15/02)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

brythain

Re: Can You Accept Your Fate? - Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route

Post by brythain »

Thus leaving a nigh-insoluble puzzle for the CSI team, who under the stress of the investigation, will just get numb—and number.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
ComeWhatMay

Re: Can You Accept Your Fate? - Saki Pseudo Route (Ch. 2, 8/

Post by ComeWhatMay »

Characters

Since this fan-fiction has a large cast of original characters, some recommended that I create a character section to keep everything organized, so here it is! Further characters and additional information about existing ones will be added as the story progresses. Only original characters will be detailed here.

Nakata Matsuroko: About as close as you can get to a genki guy. Personally, I imagine him looking a bit like Milo Thatch from Disney's Atlantis.

Rebecca Blackburn: Half Japanese and half English, she has a serious, focused personality. Her condition requires the use of a cane, and use of prescription painkillers.

Eiichi Inoue: Eiichi "Ichi" Inoue is a boy whose large, muscular build does not fit his relaxed nature. He lacks anything with which he pursues with single-minded passion, his grades are average, his relationships stable, he has no athletic ambition besides a personal interest in weightlifting. He enjoys simple things, exercise, good food, good company. If he could be described in a single word, it would be, "content".

Nana Kamagata: A deceptively quiet girl who seemingly keeps to herself, Nana has few issues bending the rules a little. Despite her lax respect for authority, she is well liked by the teachers, and her natural smarts keep her near the top of her class, with little effort of her own. Nana takes challenges with great humility and little fanfare. She enjoys conquering challenges for herself, not for the attention it brings her. Dating Eiichi Inoue.
Last edited by ComeWhatMay on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Come What May - Cliché No matter what might happen.

Currently writing Can You Accept Your Fate? Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route. 34,000 words and counting.

Oh you wear your facade so well, covered up in your plastic shell
ComeWhatMay

Re: Can You Accept Your Fate? - Saki Pseudo Route (Ch. 2, 8/

Post by ComeWhatMay »

Chapter 3 ~ Normalcy

I can't do this anymore. They're running me ragged.

Two days ago, after the stern talking too Shizune gave me after learning of my supposed descent into delinquency, the Student Council duo asked me to join them for lunch. Naturally, I obliged. They're definitely the people I know the best in my class, so I was more than happy to join them. Plus, they're kinda cute.

What I didn't know was that instead of lunch at the school cafeteria, they opted for a meal in town at a teahouse called the "Shanghai", where they redoubled their recruiting efforts. We missed two classes that day, which seems wildly out of character for the determined and focused class president, but apparently they're given some leeway if it's "official Student Council business". I feel bad for them of course, they do seem desperately in need of help, what with the school festival coming up. Through some trickery, they managed to get me to agree to a trial run with the student council, lasting until the start of the festival. I think they must be psychic or something.

Two days, a wild goose chase for supplies, a mountain of paperwork, and 12 completed festival stalls later, it probably goes without saying that I'm regretting the promise now. Either they know I won't be sticking with them in the long term and they're making the most out of their temporary third member, or this breakneck pace is their modus operandi. Either way, I can't take much more. I'm starting to miss the lazy days in my bed at the hospital.

I need to find an out. Anything will do. I'd give my firstborn son as long as I don't see another 2x4, hammer, or a box of nails for the rest of the semester.

"Hicchan, wake up~!" Misha prods my shoulder.

The lunch bell had already woken me from my in-class nap, but Misha's prodding makes it so I can't just lay there anymore. I lift my head from my folded arms on the desk, trying to blink away the exhaustion. I feel bad for sleeping in class, but hey, the blue haired girl Suzu at the front of the class does it every day, so why can't I? Well, probably because she's narcoleptic and I'm not, but hey, I'm tired. At least, I think she's narcoleptic. It's the only condition I know that would make someone as sleepy as she always is, so I assume so.

"Noooo... go away," I say, only half joking.

"Come on sleepy head! We've got work to do!"

Work? It's lunchtime.

Shizune walks over to us, her face the embodiment of determination. She starts signing to Misha.

"Shicchan says she looked at the her calendar and saw we're behind schedule. We need to get some budget reports from some of the class representatives, put in some applications in for the use of the auditorium and a few other classrooms, talk to the groundskeepers, and build two more stalls!"

"We've got all afternoon, why the rush?"

"Hahahaha~, no Hicchan, this is what we have to do during lunch!"

Nope. My head falls from its half-raised position back into my folded arms on the desk. I can't keep this up anymore. I don't know what I signed up for, but it certainly wasn't this. I'll take the first out I can find.

"You guys are crazy." My voice is muffled by my arms, but I think Misha heard me.

"C'mon Hicchan! We're running out of time! Shicchan says she's gonna go collect the budget reports, let's get some lunch from the cafeteria and we'll meet in the Student Council room!"

I barely hear her, I'm too busy forming my escape plan. Maybe I could talk to Mutou, say I have some questions about the last chapter we covered. Hang on... where is Mutou? He was here just a second ago, where did he run off too? I can't talk to a teacher I can't find.

Misha is already tugging on my shirt, so I begrudgingly stand and follow. It looks like Shizune already ran off, so it's just Misha now. Act natural Hisao, you can find your way out of this.

The nurse! Maybe I can say I've been feeling sick recently, and I need to go see the nurse! Or I could fake my heart acting up. Thing is, they might think I'm in danger, or start to get curious about my condition. I wouldn't want them to worry about me, and I certainly don't want them asking questions about my business. That option's out.

I continue to rack my brain as I shuffle behind Misha to the cafeteria. She's talking to me the whole way down, presumably about all the things we need to accomplish by the end of the lunch period, but her words fall on deaf ears. Huh... that's probably something she's used to actually.

"...so what are you getting Hicchan? They always have sandwiches, and I think today they're doing hamburgers and chicken noodle soup. The hamburgers here are kinda soggy... but the soup is really good! If you want to be safe I'd say get the soup. I'll get..."

I think it's literally impossible for her to keep quiet, she hasn't stopped talking since we left the classroom. As we're walking I'm still looking for my out. I'm running out of time. I need to find it quickly, before we get to the Student Council room. I can't do any more of this, and I'll be trapped once I'm there.

Hang on. There! Walking through the cafeteria. A tall, lanky boy, wearing glasses. What am I saying, those aren't his most obvious feature. He's pale as a ghost.

"Misha, I have to go."

I start backing away towards my only hope of escape.

"What are you talking about Hicchan? We have so much to do!"

"I know, but, I need to talk to some guys, just-"

"But Hicchan, you promised~!"

I feel a little bad, and Misha looks about as devastated as a girl with her personality can, but this is my one ticket out, so I need to take it.

"I really need to talk to these guys. I have to... apologize for something that happened a few days ago. This is the first time I've seen them since." I break into a light jog and give a wave behind me as I make my way towards Nakata. "Sorry Misha!"

I can feel Misha's eyes following me as I cross the cafeteria, but I don't look back. If I see her puppy-dog eyes or any pouting, I may feel compelled to go back and help.

"Hey! Nakata!"

The pale boy turns around, and his eyes brighten. "Hisao? What's up!?"

"You gotta help me!" I gasp, and put my knees on my hands. Damn, even this short little jog got my heart beating faster. Nothing to worry about though, I have more important matters to attend too. "The student council... they just asked for a little help. Suddenly I'm building stalls, doing paperwork, running around the whole damn school looking for supplies-"

Eiichi roars with laughter. I glance up, how did I not see him there? "Hahaha! You ain't been here a week dude, girls got you whipped already?"

I'm about to protest... but I think better of it. There's better ways of interacting with these guys.

"I mean... they are pretty cute," I say with a grin.

Nakata gives a nod of agreement, staring off into the distance and looking comically whistful. "That they are... So what, you want to join us for lunch or something?"

"Yeah," I say, "If I'm not intruding or anything, that is."

"Not at all! C'mon man, we're grilling today," says Nakata, and starts heading for the doors.

"Is that why all you're leaving with is hamburger buns?" I say, catching up and pointing out the bags they're carrying.

"Yeah," says Eiichi. "Food here sucks, so every Friday we try to do something different. My turn this week, so we're doing burgers."

"Did they just give you the buns?"

"I know one of the cooks pretty well, so I asked him to set some aside for us."

"They're okay with that?"

"I mean, we all have access to the cafeteria anyways, so it's like we got burgers with just the bread. What are they gonna do?"

Can't argue with that.

~~~~~

Walking out the front doors, we emerge blinking into the midday sun. I've been holed up in the bowels of Yamaku for the past two days straight, so it's nice to get some fresh air. We cross the grounds to some tables on the grass, thankfully out of the Student Council room's view. I don't think Shizune or Misha would ever forgive me if they saw me lounging with "the delinquents" while there was work to be done.

Two girls are sitting at the table, chatting back and forth. Nakata is, unsurprisingly, the first to announce our arrival. "We're back! Got the new kid again too."

Nana glances up, surprised. I don't think she noticed us coming. "Oh, hey Hisao," she says warmly.

Saki brightens at our approach. "Where have you been? It's like you disappeared after Tuesday night."

Eiichi interjects before I have a chance to respond. "Student Council made him their bitch. We got him out of there in the nick of time."

Saki raises her eyebrows, and I smile sheepishly. "Pretty much what he said."

Eiichi starts setting up a portable grill and Nakata takes a seat next to Nana. I don't know where I should go, so I just stand there. "Where's Rebecca?" I ask, noticing her absence.

"She's talking with our teacher. I guess she was having trouble on some of the homework last night, so she wanted to get help with a few problems."

Right, getting some help from the teacher, totally the actions of a delinquent. I get the feeling that Shizune's judgments of character aren't the most objective.

"I promise I don't bite Hisao, you can take a seat you know." Saki's voice snaps me from my reverie.

I realize I've just been standing in front of the table with my hands in my pockets. "Oh, right" Saki moves her cane from where it leans against the bench to make room, and I take a seat next to her. I still feel uncomfortable here, despite everything. Even beyond this particular group's welcoming demeanor, the school itself has a very strong, innate sense of community. I imagine it's largely due to the nature of this place as literally a school for outcasts, but it's ironically the same reason I find it so hard to fit in. The school accepts outcasts, I don't want to be an outcast, so I feel unwelcome... if that makes any sense.

"You daydream a lot, don't you," says Saki with a girlish giggle. "You just got here and that's the second time you've stared into space for like a minute."

"Maybe a little," I reply, "I'm also pretty tired after all the work I've been doing for Shizune and Misha.

"So are you and Rebecca in the same class?"

"Mhmm, class 3-1. Nakata's in 3-2, and everyone else is in 3-6."

"How did you all meet?"

"Nana, Rebecca and I were all in the same class our first year here. Nana and Ichi started dating the next year, and he was already friends with Nakata. We didn't hang out much at the start, but it kind of just happened."

I hear sizzling as Eiichi starts cooking the burgers. He dumps a bag of frozen vegetables into a tinfoil pan, along with some salt and pepper, which joins the burgers on the grill. It smells amazing, much better than any of the cafeteria food that's for sure.

I'm not sure what to talk about. I've only been at this school for a week, so I'm a little low on conversation topics. I decide to go with the only important thing I've been involved in over the past few days.

"What are your classes doing for the school festival?"

Nana is, unexpectedly, the first to respond. "3-6 is setting up some games, a basketball throw and a slingshot shooting gallery."

That actually sounds fun. "Cool, I'll have to make my way over there."

Nakata speaks up next. "We're doing a huge food stand. Yakisoba, miso soup, tea and coffee, a ton of different stuff."

"Sounds like you'll be busy on Sunday."

Nakata snorts, "fuck that, I'm not holing up behind a stall all festival, I'm having some fun!"

Saki turns the question to me. "What's your class doing Hisao?"

"We're..." I pause, and realize I have no idea what class 3-3 is doing for the festival. "You know, I've been so busy working with the Student Council to set up entire festival that I actually don't know what me or my class is doing that day."

She laughs. "They really kept you busy didn't they?"

"Uuuugh..." I put my head in my hands and nod. "You don't know the half of it."

"Shizune's pretty intense," Saki observes. "I think Misha is the only person in the school who has the energy to keep up with her."

"Soups up," comes Eiichi's voice from behind me. He drops plates in front of the four of us, a huge burger and a steaming pile of vegetables on each one. Finally, something that doesn't look like it came from a hospital cafeteria.

Eiichi makes a plate for himself, and we all dig in. The food is hearty and delicious, and that's not the only thing that's different, it's the company as well. All the meals I had with the Student Council we're rushed or eaten in the middle of hammering nails and signing request forms. Even in the meals we had a chance to sit down and eat, Shizune is so high strung that it's hard to relax with her around, and Misha is so lively she tires me out just being near her. As I sit with this group of friends, eating hamburgers in the midday sun, I finally start to relax, something I've missed dearly over the past few days.

Another thing is...

I feel bad for thinking this way. It can't be healthy, and certainly not how my doctors, my parents, or anyone else I know would want me to be handling this, but I don't care, it helps.

Another reason I'm partial to his group is that they don't just act normal, but for the most part, they look it too. Seeing the disabilities of the other students, especially when they're so obvious, always reminds me of my own problems as well. Sure, there's a few canes, and Nakata is rather pale, but they're a far cry from the scars and missing limbs of the others I've met here. With this group, I don't need to communicate through sign language or a translator. Here at Yamaku, this is probably as normal as it gets. Maybe these thoughts make me a bad person, maybe I'm in denial, but right now, being normal is all I want.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it. I'm not antisocial, but I don't necessarily remember how I became friends with my old group with Mai, Takumi, and Shin. It went something like what Saki said earlier, it just kind of happened. As I'm wondering how best to establish myself as one of the guys, the next words from Saki seem almost divinely inspired.

"Hey Hisao?"

"Yeah?"

"You said you weren't quite sure what you were doing for the festival right?"

"Not really, no. Before lunch today, I was probably gonna spend it with Shizune and Misha, but after my escape act today, that plan is a little up in the air."

"Well, how about you spend it with us?"

I smile. The first real smile I've smiled in very long a while.

"Yeah man!" adds Nakata excitedly. "Trust me, we make much better company."

Don't I know it. I'm still getting the feel of this school, but looking at the people around me, the bright smile on Nakata's face, the gentle ones from Saki and Nana, and Eiichi's subtle nodding, I get the feeling that for whatever reason, they legitimately want me to come. I still have my reservations, but this seems like an excellent first step.

"That sounds great."

Maybe it isn't that hard to make friends after all.

Perhaps it was fated to be.

~~~~~

"NononononoNO! shit." Nakata's rocket explodes on a wall a few feet behind Eiichi's character, killing him and ending the round.

"Ha! 3 for 0! You better start picking up your game Ichi, I'm getting bored!"

Eiichi tosses his controller aside, which lands on a beanbag chair occupied by myself. I've been beaten handedly every round, but Eiichi and Nakata are pretty good at this game, so I don't mind watching.

"Yeah just because I don't charge straight for the rocket launcher means I'm bad. Switch it to headshots only, I'll show you and Hisao the true meaning of terror."

His words fall on deaf ears as Nakata continues his seated victory dance.

Eiichi suddenly puts his hands to the ground and pushes himself standing. He walks over to a small refrigerator in the corner of the room. "Gonna grab a soda, want one dude?"

"Yeah, sure." He tosses me a can from his private stash and grabs one for himself. "Thanks."

This is the first time I've been in anyone else's room since I got here, and it looks much better lived in than mine. Some clothes lie in a loose pile next to the mini-fridge, and two beanbag chairs sit in the middle of the room, in front of a rather large TV and entertainment system. On the walls hang posters that are probably as risqué as the administration allows, women posing next to sports cars and motorcycles. Oddly, a small cylinder that looks like a scuba tank sits tucked in the corner of his closet, but I don't mention it. I don't want to pry, for my psyche as much as his.

On our walk back from lunch today, Eiichi had asked me what I was doing tonight. When I said nothing, he invited me to his room the floor above mine. I guess Nakata and Eiichi hang out there pretty often, especially on Friday nights.

Of course, it was originally going to be spent building more stalls and filling out more forms for the Student Council, but I was hoping they'd caught on that I didn't intend to join. Even if they hadn't, I decided to tell them once I got back to class anyways, for better or for worse. It's not like I can avoid them, they sit right next to me in class after all, so I decided to just be straight with them. Shizune was disappointed, but Misha actually looked happy for me.

Eiichi plops down on his bed behind us and leans forward to grab his controller. He scrolls down the menu to Game options and starts making some changes.

Vehicles - OFF

Shields - OFF

Radar - OFF

Weapons - Marksman Rifles

"Whoa, watcha doing?"

"Bullshit if you're going undefeated tonight buddy," says Eiichi.

I chuckle, and the countdown starts to the beginning of the next round.

I can get used to this.

Next Chapter ~ Disapproval (Part 2)
Last edited by ComeWhatMay on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Currently writing Can You Accept Your Fate? Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route. 34,000 words and counting.

Rogueldr44

Re: Can You Accept Your Fate? - Saki Pseudo Route (Ch. 3, 8/

Post by Rogueldr44 »

This is awesome, keep it up :)
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Shields off AND snipers only? That means it's a one hit kill regardless of where you hit them. Where's the fun in that? :)
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
EMMSixteenA4

Post by EMMSixteenA4 »

This pseudo route is going to be awesome. The guidelines you kinda set for yourself, what with "real" characters and all of that really make this one interesting. Super excited to see more.
That guy who arrived three years late to the party, and is looking around piecing together what exactly he missed.
ComeWhatMay

Post by ComeWhatMay »

I wont say "you have no idea", because I'm sure most every other writer on this forum feels the same way, but I can't tell you guys how stoked I get every time I see someone other than myself has commented on this story :D. I'm gonna try to keep up and reply with comments, it's the least I can do to show my gratitude.
Rogueldr44 wrote:This is awesome, keep it up :)

It's funny, because I was worried that after I posted my first few threads, I'd start slowing down, and I'd really have to focus to keep the route going. Instead, as I get closer to parts I conceived when I just started getting my outline down, I'm only writing it faster. Heck, I might even try to get a chapter out tonight (gonna be gone for the next week, Vegas baby!).
AntonSlavik020 wrote:Shields off AND snipers only? That means it's a one hit kill regardless of where you hit them. Where's the fun in that? :)
It's been way too long since the Friday nights in my friends basement playing Halo: Reach. Man I miss those days, and I'm partially modeling Hisao/Eiichi/Nakata's relationship off my own friendships towards the end of High School. Then again, I do still hang out with them constantly, except Halo: Reach has been replaced with League :P. Anyways, I'll edit that to Marksman Rifles, SWAT style.
EMMSixteenA4 wrote:This pseudo route is going to be awesome. The guidelines you kinda set for yourself, what with "real" characters and all of that really make this one interesting. Super excited to see more.
Again, thanks! I'm rather surprised to see such positive responses. This is my first time really writing anything of substantial length, and I expected a lot more corrections and such.

Rogueldr44

Post by Rogueldr44 »

Well, the way you build up the story makes it look like it's really thought through, and thus very pleasant to read, also you have some talent setting up characters I guess, since they are all likeable and you seem to put a lot of thought in including them all, wich promises a long and enjoyable right, I hope ? :D
ComeWhatMay

Post by ComeWhatMay »

Chapter 4 ~ Disapproval (Part 2)

My alarm clock blares. I hit the snooze button without a second thought. I literally do not have the energy to get up right now.

~~~~~

15 minutes later, it intrudes upon my rest once again. An uncoordinated flop of my arm later, it gives me another few minutes of glorious sleep.

~~~~~

A beam of light rests squarely on my eyes. I grimace, eyelids shut tightly, before slowly opening them and glancing at my clock.

9:15

Shit. My covers are thrown aside as I jump out of bed and throw on the closest clothes I can find. My socks end up mismatched, and my tie looks like it was tied by a fellow student with Tourette's, but I should be presentable. Without a second thought, I down my medications while I sling my backpack over my shoulder. Normally the act would put me in a bad mood, but right now I'm too busy stuffing homework into my backpack with one hand and trying to straighten out my uniform with the other. An hour and twenty minutes late to class already, I dart out the front doors of the dorms, moving just slow enough that my heart doesn't act up.

I stayed up with Nakata and Eiichi playing video games, drinking soda and eating snack food, until I took a look at the time and saw it was already past 3:00. I was having fun just hanging out, and I lost track of time. I didn't get to sleep until around 4:00, and I guess my body didn't agree with less than four hours of sleep.

I arrive in the middle of science lecture, and if last time my entrance was given a spotlight and a fanfare of trumpets, this time I have an announcer and confetti to go with it. Every pair of eyes in the classroom focuses on me as I step into the classroom, mildly out of breath from my light jog across the grounds.

Mutou pauses in the middle of his lecture and turns to face me. "Mr. Nakai."

I remain silent. I'm more than an hour and a half late, nothing I can say will help this situation.

"Please take your seat. Stay a moment after class, I would like to have a quick word."

I just know that the rest of the class is enjoying the drama. I guess I'm this morning's entertainment.

"Yes sir," I say. I feel like some formality may go a way to help my case, if only a little.

Shizune gives me a disappointed look as I sit down, after which she shakes her head and looks back to the teacher. I guess Mutou's not the only one I've let down.

~~~~~

Time flies when you're on the chopping block. Class lets out less than two hours after I arrive, though it feels like half that, and I remain seated as the rest of the class files out. A few students cast me uneasy glances of pity. Surprisingly, neither Misha nor Shizune say a word to me the whole class. I think back and find myself wishing I had figured out a better way to leave the Student Council. I hope I'm reading the situation wrong, but both members of the duo didn't so much as acknowledge my presence after Shizune expressed her disappointment.

Mutou courteously waits until everyone has left the room, seemingly checking e-mails and organizing his desk, until the door closes behind the last student and he addresses me. He grabs a chair and places it on the other side of his desk. "Please feel free to take a seat here." I stand from my desk and sit down across from my teacher.

He places his elbows on the desk and clasps his hands together, placing his chin on his hands, looking at me intently.

"How are you adjusting to life here at Yamaku, Mr. Nakai?"

I'm a little surprised by the question. I expected him to dive right into my tardiness, rather than question me about my integration with Yamaku life. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I prefer the former or the latter.

"I'm... coming along. I don't know, I guess the atmosphere is so different from anything I'm used to."

"Of course. This school is certainly unique. Is there anything in particular you're having trouble with?"

There's that word again. One of many euphemisms used to make hide the purpose of this school. To the Yamaku faculty, it's "unique". It's "different". Try as they might, the true purpose of this school is too obvious for a mere change in vocabulary to obscure.

"Well sir, it's..." Screw it, there's no way to put this delicately. "It's the disabilities. I don't know how to react to them. I almost feel like I'm bringing more attention to it by ignoring them. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Either I ignore them, even when they're so obvious that it's ridiculous they could be overlooked, or I awkwardly bring it up. Sometimes, I just don't know what to do."

Mutou looks thoughtful. "I think you would do well to remember your own reason that you're here." No, I don't think that would do me well. "Every student of Yamaku is in attendance for a reason, and I'm certain that they felt similar to how you do now when they first arrived."

"Honestly sir... I think that remembering why I'm here is exactly what I don't want."

A sad smile overcomes his face. Stop that, don't pity me. It's condescending. I can feel myself getting bitter.

"We do have people here you can talk to."

The statement gets to me much more than I thought it would. "I don't need a therapist," I say dryly. God dammit. Not only am I physically disabled, but now they think I need a shrink as well.

"Hisao," suppose we're on first name terms now, "I just want to make sure your transition to Yamaku is as smooth as possible. This is not a normal school, and you're transferring in a few weeks into the school year."

I love how every time he talks he manages to make things worse. I know this is not a normal school, and I hate it. I know I'm physically broken, and I hate it. Apparently, people think my mind is broken too, and I hate that even more. How much worse can this get?

"I understand you've been associating with some students from other classes, Mr. Matsuroko and Ms. Enomoto correct?"
Caught off guard by the sudden change in topic, it takes me a second to respond.

"Yeah, I ran into them a few days ago. They seemed nice."

"Perhaps, but I must caution you as to that particular groups reputation." It seems the teachers are more in tune with the student body than Misha thought. "Your student records from your old school show that you're bright young man, and I hope that you continue your academic excellence here. Being late to class twice in the first week, especially by more than an hour and a half today, isn't the best way to start out at a new school."

"I thought a teacher would be happy that a new student is branching out and making friends?"

Mutou leans back. "Don't get me wrong, I am. I'm glad that you're meeting new people, I just want to give a friendly reminder to find the right crowd. Adjusting to a new school is hard under the best of circumstances, and due to the nature of this academy, most students do not transfer here under the best of circumstances. It's impor-"

"Why do you keep bringing that up?"

"Bringing what up, Mr. N-"

"That this isn't a regular school. I know that, I don't see how it applies."

"If you know that, Mr. Nakai, then you must know that our job is to make sure our students get the best education possible while understanding their limits. We make accommodations to those that need it, and I am simply making sure your transfer here is as easy as possible."

"Do you know why I'm here, sir?"

Mutou pauses, unsure of what to say. He responds slowly, thinking each and every word through before he says it. "...Yes. In the interest of our students safety, teachers do know the basics of their student's conditions, what we can expect and any reasonable accommodations that can be made."

"Then you know I don't need any accommodations. I don't seize, I'm not at risk of fainting, I'm not constantly in pain or anything like that. You don't need to worry about me."

A small sigh escapes his lips. "Then think of this as just a teacher talking to a new student at any other High School. I know you're smart, Hisao. Your grades are excellent coming into Yamaku, and I hope that you surround yourself with people who prize academic excellence as much as you do."

"That was before. Maybe I want different things now sir."

Mutou says nothing, he just waits patiently, like he knows that I have more to say. Screw it. I throw my hands up indifferently.

"I just want to get back to the way things were, before all this... stuff, happened. I can't do that if I need a translator to understand my friends."

A look of sad understanding comes over Mutou's face. He succeeds only in irritating me further, my chest feels like a pit. He sighs. "Our student's right to privacy restricts what I can say here, but I am allowed to say this. Mr. Nakai, you will find out sooner or later that your new friends are not as normal as they seem."

I'm still tired from the night before, and I don't want to talk anymore. I can't believe I said what I have already. "Can I leave now sir?"

There's a short pause before Mutou nods. I guess he doesn't see any help in continuing this conversation further either.

"Yes, Mr. Nakai. I'll see you Monday."

"See you Monday sir," I say, standing and picking up my things.

~~~~~

I leave the classroom with my mind churning and in a daze, only half aware of my surroundings. The exhaustion from last night has caught up to me, and the mild annoyance from my conversation with Mutou is doing little to help. I feel trapped here, locked in a box with reminders of my condition on every wall and in every cellmate.

I know Mutou means well, he's only trying to help a new student integrate into a new environment, but everything he said was almost perfectly tailored to push on topics I'd rather not address or even acknowledge. My frustration builds, the mild annoyance I felt leaving the classroom isn't so mild anymore. How did I end up like this?

"DAMMIT!" I growl.

My hand balls itself into a fist and slams into the wall beside me. A dull thud echoes through the hallway, and Hanako jumps at my sudden aggression, sinking into her escorts shoulder. I didn't even notice her or her partner in front of me, and that turned out louder than I thought it would be...

Thankfully, the hallway is virtually empty, save only for the two people nearby. Hanako is still shrinking away, but the tall blonde haired foreigner next to her stands frozen, looking alert.

"Hello? Is everything okay?"

"It's fine," I say under my breath. I walk past them, embarrassed at my outburst, but I stop as my mind goes back to the first time I met Nakata. Didn't he say something about Hanako and her friend?

"Excuse me," I say turning, "you... wouldn't happen to be Lilly would you?"

"I am," she nods. "Lilly Satou. Have we met before?" She turns to me as well, but she says it looking at nothing in particular, a thousand-yard stare into the distance behind me. She must be blind, at least partially.

"No, I actually just transferred here a few days ago. I met someone in your class who mentioned your name, do you know Nakata Matsuroko by any chance?"

Lilly lets out a small giggle, "I think everyone in this school knows Mr. Matsuroko, he certainly has quite an... outgoing personality."

I chuckle in agreement. "I noticed. I'm Hisao Nakai, I'm in class with your friend. What's your name?" I say looking at Hanako. Of course I already know her name, but I don't want to come off as creepy. Besides, introductions work better this way.

She casts a worried glance to Lilly, but eventually looks back to me. "I... I'm H-Hanako." The hallway is silent, and I can still barely hear her.

"Nice to meet you," says Lilly. "Is there anything we can help you with?"

"Well, I was actually looking for the library a few days ago. Nakata and his friends talked me out of that pretty quickly, but that's how you came up. They said you were in the room next door, and you'd know where to find it."

"My my, you've come at a good time, we're going there right now actually. Care to join us?" she asks, waving ahead. Hanako looks hesitant, but Lilly doesn't seem to notice.

"That'd be great, thanks."

~~~~~

The library is unusually large for a school this size. Come to think of it, everything at this school is exceptionally lavish. The classroom building is admittedly rather normal, if well decorated, but the dorms are more spacious than usual and the facilities of Yamaku are very well equipped. While doing the student council's chores, I was surprised to see how well stocked the school is too. Even the more esoteric items they requested were to be found in one storage location or another. Add to that a pool, physical therapy equipment, a large gymnasium, this place must have some very wealthy benefactors.

Sunlight brightens the otherwise musty room, and Hanako quickly disappears amidst the rows of bookshelves. So much for getting to know my classmate.

"Is she always this shy?" I ask when Hanako disappears from sight and presumably from earshot.

Lilly puts on a face somewhere between being deep in thought and pouting. A thoughtful pout, if you will. "Unfortunately so. She keeps to herself, for better or for worse."

"I see..."

"Was there anything in particular you we're looking for? If you need help, you can ask the librarian Yuuko at the front desk."

"Right, thanks." Lilly sits at the front of the library and pulls out a book of her own while I go in search of something to read. I end up asking the librarian for a recommendation, who turns out to be the waitress from the cafe the student council and I visited a few days ago. I take the first book she offers, the cover featuring a small red man dancing on a blue background. I'm not really here for a book though. Honestly... I'd like to know more about Nakata, Saki, and why their group has such a reputation around campus. No better person to talk to than his classmate.

I approach the table where Lilly is seated. She isn't reading her book, and sits back relaxing instead. She turns her head towards me as I approach. "Mind if I join you here?"

"Of course not Hisao," she says with a smile.

"What are you reading?" I ask as I sit.

"Just a school textbook, I'm catching up on some reading for class. Did you find a book?"

"Yeah, Yuuko recommended me one."

A brief silence falls before Lilly speaks again. "So you said you were in Hanako's class correct?"

"Right, class 3-3, with Mutou."

Lilly giggles. "He's quite an eccentric one. He tends to grow on you though, I'm sure you'll come to like him in due time."

"So if you're in Nakata's class, that means you're in 3-2 right?"

"I am, as the class representative. It's taught by Mr. Miyagi, and it's specifically for blind and partially blind students."

I'm a little surprised, I didn't think Nakata's eyesight was that bad. I originally thought he was here due to his albinism. Maybe they're connected? Who knows, I'm certainly not an expert in these things.

I start reading, trying to think of how to bring up the topic of my new friends. As I do, I realize that this is the first time I've had a chance to settle down and breathe since I got here. Even my free time has kept me busy since my arrival. The first night I went out to karaoke, then I ran around with the student council for a few days, then I escaped and stayed up half the night with Nakata and Eiichi playing video games. The chance to unwind is welcome, and Lilly has a similarly welcoming and comforting aura to Saki, though Lilly's is laced with a sense of high class and formality, while Saki's is more carefree. Either way, it's helping my mood lighten a fair bit.

I put my book dawn, stretching backwards and enjoying the quiet surroundings. "Thanks for inviting me to come along. I've been so busy since I got here, I almost forgot what it was like to sit down with a good book."

"My pleasure. It's always nice to help someone settle in to a new environment."

I laugh at the irony. "I haven't been settling in so much as plopped right into the middle of things."

Lilly nods. "You definitely transferred in at a busy time. With the school festival tomorrow and a round of exams coming soon, it must be quite a shock."

"I didn't expect to contribute as much as I did for the festival, that's for sure. The Student Council jumped on the prospect of a new member pretty quickly."

Lilly frowns. "So you've met Shizune then. My cousin... lacks a sense of boundaries. Once she sets her mind to something, little will slow her down, even if it could benefit those around her."

That's right, I forgot they were cousins. It seems like they're not on the best of terms either. "I noticed. Shizune was hell-bent on getting me to join the council, and she doesn't like to take no for an answer. It's okay though, Nakata and his friends managed rescue me from their clutches."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. They seem really cool, even though it sounds like they have a reputation around campus."

"Where did you hear that?" Lilly asks.

"Well... Shizune didn't seem to approve, she even called them 'delinquents', and Mutou actually kept me after class today. Said I need to 'find the right crowd.'" I chuckle, "makes me wonder what they did to deserve it."

She nods steadily, looking thoughtful. "No single event that I'm aware of... but they do have a habit of disappearing some days. Some of them aren't exactly at the top of their class either, and among the students here, they do have a reputation of being rather... tactless." Lilly closes her book and puts her elbows on the table. "Most of the student body doesn't have a problem with that, but some..." I notice her turn her head in the direction of the heart of the library, in the direction Hanako ran off too. "...are more sensitive."

"I can see that. Still though... I kinda like them."

Lilly smiles. "Don't let the opinions of others color your own. You should find the people you feel the most comfortable with, and their supposed delinquency is certainly overblown."

I'm glad she says that. I definitely wasn't going to avoid them just because Shizune and Mutou told me too, but it's still nice to hear someone else echo my own thoughts. Lilly seems much less biased than my other sources. Shizune's determined personality seems to make her butt heads with anyone who isn't just as determined as she is, making her a poor source of advice, but Lilly seems much more live-and-let-live. I'm glad I ran into these two, or Lilly, at least.

"Thanks. They invited me to join them to the festival tomorrow, I'm looking forward to that."

"I'm glad," says Lilly. "You should visit Nakata and me at our class's stand tomorrow, it's probably the best food you'll find at the festival," she says with a giggle.

I laugh. "I'll be sure to find my way over there." It sounds like Lilly isn't aware of Nakata's plans for tomorrow. If what he said yesterday is anything to go by, it doesn't sound like he intends to work a stall.

Silence falls again, and I return to my book.

~~~~~

Some time later, Yuuko walks over to our desk, Hanako in tow.

"Sorry, but I have to start closing up soon."

"My my, is it 1:00 already?" Lilly asks, turning her head in Yuuko's direction.

"Yes, sorry," she says timidly. Yuuko seems quite the nervous person.

"Does the library close early on weekends?" I ask.

"Yes," Yuuko replies. "Six-thirty on weekdays, and one o'clock on weekends."

"Well I wouldn't want to keep you," replies Lilly. "I'll go find Hanako and we can be on our way."

"I-I'm here... Lilly." I've noticed Lilly has rather exceptional hearing, but I guess Hanako is still quiet enough to slip under her radar.

"Ah, okay then. Thank you, Yuuko."

"Thanks for the recommendation," I say, waving my book towards the librarian.

"Of course!" she says, legitimately excited. Even though she's jumpy, she does really seem to enjoy her job.

We make small talk on the way back to the dorms, and I even manage to get Hanako to say a few words. She's only slightly more comfortable in the presence of Lilly though, so we didn't exactly have a heart to heart.

I bid goodbye at the split to the boys and girls dormitories.

"Thanks for showing me the library, good luck with the stand," I say.

"Nice meeting you Hisao, have fun tomorrow," she calls back.

"Nice meeting you too, bye!"

I turn around and head for my room. I'm still tired from last night, and I'm honestly pretty surprised I didn't fall asleep in the library. Time to get some rest, maybe read a little, and get ready for tomorrow. A school festival with good company sounds fun, and while I'm hesitant... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to it.

Next Chapter ~ At Once Jaunty and Circumspect
Last edited by ComeWhatMay on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.

brythain

Re: Can You Accept Your Fate? - Saki Pseudo Route (Ch. 4, 8/

Post by brythain »

It's a fun read so far, but some word choices need to be altered, I think. Like 'diminutives' for 'euphemisms'. Otherwise, good job. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
ComeWhatMay

Post by ComeWhatMay »

brythain wrote:It's a fun read so far, but some word choices need to be altered, I think. Like 'diminutives' for 'euphemisms'. Otherwise, good job. :)
I was going for "diminutive" as in the second definition here, which is specifically a euphemism that denotes smallness, or otherwise diminishes somethings meaning. If its confusing though, I can definitely change it.

brythain

Post by brythain »

ComeWhatMay wrote:
brythain wrote:It's a fun read so far, but some word choices need to be altered, I think. Like 'diminutives' for 'euphemisms'. Otherwise, good job. :)
I was going for "diminutive" as in the second definition here, which is specifically a euphemism that denotes smallness, or otherwise diminishes somethings meaning. If its confusing though, I can definitely change it.
Yes, but 'unique' doesn't denote smallness nor diminish anything. It could be intended as an understatement, although 'unique' can't be used that way since a thing is either unique or it isn't.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

"You should visit Nakata and I
"Nakata and me"

This is going in an interesting direction. I don't think we've seen much of "delinquent Hisao" in other fics...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Not gonna lie, I really didn't like Hisao's attitude during the Mutuo conversation. I really hope he doesn't continue to have that attitude because it will get old to me fast. Put enough of a sour taste in my mouth it made it hard to enjoy the rest of this chapter. I feel like that's not fair to the rest of it, but it's the way my mind works.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

I somewhat agree with Anton. However, it didn't make it hard to enjoy the chapter. If anything, it made Hisao's conversation with Lilly even better.

I can't help but feel bad for Mutou, though. He's just trying to get Hisao to understand that he has limits now, and he has to respect them. Plus the necessary teacher "Do good in school, foo" shpiel.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"