By the time it gets away from me
Still it’s got its hold on me
Still it’s got its hold on me'
- "All that I have", by Windmills
Index
  • Introduction: this post
    Chapter 1: this post
    Chapter 2: Here

Riight, here we are! So, first and foremost thanks for opening this thread that will contain my first long(ish? It won't be super long aka Developments, but it won't be too short) fan-fiction. As you will see, this is not an original idea and I know many people used this many times, but to be honest I wanted to give it a shot myself! As some of you may know, I don't consider myself a good writer, so let me know what you think, what you would edit and that sort of thing. The chapters won't come by at a fast pace and not even at a super regular one, but I will try to keep it going because I have some nice ideas in mind! It might suck, it might be good, but for now I'll just keep going. In the end I hope I'll learn something good from this experience!
Last but not least, a huge thanks to the guys over at the KS Writing Group (OneManArmy77, PaperAirships, TheDwarfLard and Xilirite) for helping me and in general making this project less painful for me, and for you when it comes to the reading part!

With that being said, let's get started!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

After a rough sleep, I wake up with a headache. The events of three days ago were repeated over and over again in my mind, while the pain continues to be just the same, as if I was in constant suffering to this day.

I promised myself to be strong, to not let myself be defeated by this memory, yet a part of me still can't help but to suffer at the images of that harrowing day. I tried to be the white knight of the situation, convincing myself that she needed my aid, only to realize that I was the one in need of help. I went from being locked up on my own prison, only to almost become the jailor of Hanako's life, denying her of becoming a better person.

That expression filled with anger and frustration, only to be replaced with pain and regret, still haunts me. Yesterday, when I had the chance to get a glance at her during class, I immediately got a flashback of those events, that of course filled with rage. Not at her, but at myself and my own idiocy.

Whatever, rethinking about this surely won't help. Today's a new day, so maybe there's the chance that I can have a good time. I could always start running in the morning, surely Emi won't mind... right? After all, she doesn't seem the type that would hold a grudge against me.

I mean, it's not like I have much to lose, since at the moment I don't have any shoulder to cry on to. Yeah, maybe I'll do that.

For now, thought, I have to get ready for school; I can't let this influence my future studies, I wouldn't forgive myself for doing this.

-------------------------------------

I hate this. Why do I have to be so impulsive sometimes?

Maybe I deserve this. I mean, after what happened on my b... bir... Yeah, I can't even think of the word without feeling the pain associated with it. First my home and my parents and now, after ten years, I lost the person that could've been ... I guess the love of my life?

The darkness of my room surrounds me, at my side only my beloved penguin plushy. My eyes can't even look at the table, since it pains me too much to get a single look at the dolls or at the ches... Here we go, another word that makes a nod at my stomach. Of course, the moment I remember what happened to it and its story, tears start to roll down my cheeks. Hoping that I would be strong enough to hold them back was too good to be true.

Thanks to the chirping of the birds I know that is morning. A part of me hopes that today will be a better day, but I'm honest enough with myself to realize that this is just wishful thinking.

Yesterday, somehow, I managed to leave my room and attend classes, but immediately before lunch I went to my room. I couldn't bear the pain of him possibly looking at me in the eyes or, even worse, speaking to me. No, I can't go to school in this state... I don't have strength to do so.

This can't be caused because I miss him, right? Because I don't need him... I think.

No, wait, get a hold of yourself Hanako! Of course you don't need him, nor do you need his forgiveness after what he did to you!

But... I can't shake off this feeling that I get whenever I remember him. Maybe my love for him was more than the typical 'high school' romance. After what we've been through, can I say that he's the right one? I don't know...

Still, that's no excuse to be spineless and to go back to him, crying and on my knees! I might not be strong like Lilly, but I know that his presence would just make things worse. Something needs to change, I need to become... better? Maybe that's it, am I not good enough and maybe that's why he was trying to protect me? Was he making me bet-nonsense, Hanako! He was just being an idiot, you need to get your priorities straight: it's first you, then him, get this in your head!

Why am I so self-doubting? Why can't I be better, and not... myself?! This... This pisses me off so much!

With my sobbing being the only sound in my room, my cheeks being red because of the bitter tears that are covering them and the chaos that is storming in my mind, I surrender myself to the embrace of Morpheus. My eyes close and I slowly drift away, hoping that the nightmares won't follow me in my sleep.

Chapter 1

I reach my classroom a bit earlier than usual, maybe a sign that perhaps, today won't be so bad after all. I look around, but notice only Suzu, Lezard and Molly; seems like people are really taking their sweet time to come to class, but I can't blame them. After all, the main reason why I decided to come early here, was so that I would avoid any bad surprises. Here, at least, I can already focus on revising the past lessons.

Just as I start reading through yesterday's history class, the doors swings wide open and a pink rhino enters the class, followed by the ever-so-present Class Rep. Her eyes wonder around the room, only to stop when they notice me and walk in my direction. I try to avoid looking at her, hoping that maybe she'll get bored and go back to her own business, but I clearly know that's not happening.

"Good morning, Hicchan! Shicchan wanted to know if you're free once classes are over, since we're in need of some powerful male muscles! Wahahahaha~!"

She stares at me with a wide grin, which soon shifts in an expression of confusion. It's weird that her bubbly personality was interrupted so suddenly.

"Hicchan, are you ok?" , she doesn't seem to be mocking me, it's almost as if the girl in front of mine wasn't the loud, bubbly Misha, but someone else. This last just a moment, though, since as I answer her, she immediately cheers up.

"I'm ok, don't worry about it," I say with a monotone voice, which is picked up by the duo in front of me, that doesn't seem to be buying it.

"Oh and, I have some free time, so I guess I can help you out," this time they are really weirded out.

"No Hicchan, you won't peel us off by acting all tough and stuff! Shicchan says that as Class Rep and president of the Student Council, it is in my duty to help a fellow classmate that is clearly in need."

I know that I should be happy, but at the moment I feel so apathetic that their good will is bouncing off me. I want to answer, but just as I open my mouth Mutou shows up. With one last glance at them, I try to give them a look that says 'there's no need to', but all I get in return is two expressions filled with determination.

Why are they even doing it? It's not like I spent so much time with them that I can consider them my friends of anything. Plus, I pushed them off at every moment when they tried to bring me in the Student Council. I don't get it... perhaps, I don't need to.

Girls are complicated.

-------------------------------------

After the encounter I had this morning, the rest of the day is pretty mundane. Since the day of Hanako's birthday, I use to eat alone in the cafeteria, sometimes interrupted by a 'Yo!' of Miki, then go back to class and in general be quiet and follow the lessons.

A part of me is glad that I got the offer from Misha and Shizune, though I still don't know if I should join them. Regardless if they got it or not, the only reason why I might go there is so that I wouldn't have to talk with Kenji in order to spend my free time. It's not that I hate him, but I the idea of spending some time with him gives me a bad feeling.

Anyway, as soon as the final class ends, I make my way out of the classroom with the mass of students. The path to the Student Council's room is pretty uneventful and soon enough I'm right in front of it. I could still go away and save myself from hours of hard work, but I know that would be a mistake. With determination, which gives me the strength to continue, I open the door and find myself in front of the two girls. At first they seem to not notice me, apparently too busy arguing about something, but as soon as I step foot inside they turn their attention to me.

"Hicchan! I'm surprised that you actually came here! Wahahaha!~"

"Yeah, not like I had much choice anyway," I answer blandly. They seem unfazed by my tone of voice, so I make my way to them, where a pile of papers is already prepared. Noticing that I'm staring at it, Misha chuckles and speaks up.
"Yes Hicchan, that's what you'll have to do! Nothing too hard, just checking that the papers are in order and marking them with the school's official symbol. Easy, right? Wahaha!~"

"Right."

I'm definitely not looking forward to this, but I know that the other option I have is even worse. Taking the pile of papers to a nearby table, I start making my way through them. After a couple of them, the procedure becomes mechanical to me, at times even satisfying. Knowing that I'm doing something useful for the school in such an easy, yet efficient, way somehow keeps me awake and stop from whining at the duo, which seems to have another task at their hands.

After an hour or so, while I'm already done with half of the pile, they are done and are about to leave the classroom. I'm ready to say goodbye to them, but I'm left a bit surprised when I see that only Shizune leaves the class, leaving me alone with Misha. My expression is easily noticed by her, so she takes a seat opposite to me, giving me a big grin and making herself comfortable. Something tells me that she's not leaving anytime soon.

"Don't worry, Hicchan, I'll help you... but only because I need your attention for now."

I assume a puzzled expression, taking me a few moments to realize what she's talking about, but before I can speak up, she interrupts me.

"I know that we haven't talk, or even hang out, much, but as a part of the student cou-", as she says the sentence, she bursts out in laughter. When she comes back to her senses, she loses her grin and assumes a more neutral expression.
"Seriously though, you might not see me as a friend, but I do see you as one. These days you've looked like a mess, so please... tell me what caused this, please?"

Her attention makes me happy, but I don't know if I can tell her everything that happened. After what Hanako told me and after I got the time to think about it, I don't know if I'll have another opportunity with her, let alone get a chance to change the way I am.

Misha sounded sincere, but I still can't find the determination to speak up about it. I feel my energies missing all of a sudden, causing my face to fall just as my previous determination is nowhere to be found.

"Thanks for the help, but trust me, I'm fine," I say, not even believing it myself, talking mostly to maybe stop Misha in her futile attempt. I wait, but I don't hear the chair moving. My curiosity sets in and I look up, only to find the pink-haired girl with an expression filled with determination, and maybe a bit of anger, too.

"Hisao," she says, making my eyes widen. She never uses my real name, which can only mean that I underestimated how much she is willing to help me. "First of all, you are a terrible liar. Second, you suck at hiding your emotions. Third, when I set my mind on something, believe me that I don't give up so easily! I might not be the smartest girl in the class, I know, but when it comes to reaching my goals, I don't give up! So, again, tell me what made you become like a zombie, please?"
After hearing what she had to say, I can only sigh. If at first I was unsure whether to believe her or not, now I can be sure that I can. Now though, would it be nice from me to go ahead and tell her everything that happened? I mean, god knows if she will just go ahead and tell it to Shizune, or someone else.

"Look... Promise me that you won't just go ahead and tell this to everyone. What I'm about to tell you is very personal, and I repeat very."

"Hicchan, who do you think I am?"

I just give her a flat expression, which makes her laugh.

"Ok, ok, ok! I mean, I was going to keep this to myself in the first place, but if you want my word that I'll do this, then fine. I promise that I'll tell this to no one."

My old self wants to retreat from continuing, but to be honest my old self also put me in this mess, so it's only natural that I should open up to the girl in front of me. Her face looks happy, yet patient, which is weird given how she normally acts during class. After a deep breath, I tell her everything that happened. The birthday, the call with Lilly, my ignorance and the following outburst of Hanako. Nothing gets untold because, to be honest, deep inside I know I need help, regardless of how much I try to hide it.

After I'm done narrating my unfortunate story, the room gets quiet. Misha begins thinking and analyzing what to say about what she just heard, while I'm busy in trying to tranquilizing myself, trying not to doubt Misha's words.

A minute of two passes by. My anxiousness could burst out any second now, while Misha looks like she's not completely honest in what to say. At first I think of leaving, but the pink-haired girl stops me by speaking up.

"Hicchan, I know that I don't know Hanako very well... but what got into you?! Look, I'll put the scolding aside and get straight to the point."

She takes a second to formulate the sentences, letting her eyes wander around the room in the meantime.

"Everyone deserves a second chance, and you are no exception! You are a stubborn, dense and sometimes irrational guy, but you have a heart of gold inside, and I bet even Hanako knows that! The problem is that one single 'I'm sorry' won't be enough, you know that, right?"

I simply nod with my head, my mind too busy analyzing every singles word that comes out of her mouth to let mine speak.

"I don't know what she is doing right now, but as you told me she doesn't seem to despise you. You might not have noticed it, but you are the closest person she has, together with Lilly... plus she was madly in love with you, so there's no way this event erases this, " she says while repositioning the hair on her back. "You need to man up, stop being so self-doubting and ask to yourself: are you strong enough to deal with the consequences that your mistake caused? A girl doesn't like a sissy for a boyfriend, and that goes also for Hanako! Can you go back to her, look her in the eyes, tell that you're sorry and that you will change and, most importantly, keep your word?"

She looks at me with another determined expression, which causes my mind to think even more about this. Noticing the sudden change in my face, Misha is sure that she hit the mark.

"If you know the answer to that question, Hicchan, then I bet you know the rest!"

With a grin on her face, she stops and leaves me some space to answer, if I ever wish to.

"... Thanks, I needed that," I say with a smile on my face. Misha does the same, with the addition that she also hugs me over the table, which surprises me. I don't know how to react, so I limit myself to put a hand on her back and keep my mouth shut.

When we interrupt this, she's the one that speaks up first.

"Don't worry about it, that's what friends to, right?"

"Right."

With that being said, we go back to work with a renowned confidence and vigor. Even when we're done and we bid farewell to each other and as I go back to my dorm, I can't help but put on a confident smile on my face.
As I plop down on my bed, the discussion comes back to my mind. Misha's words echo inside my head, causing me to think about them even further. Maybe everything is not over... maybe I do have a chance to fix things and this time, I'm sure that I'm not alone in this quest.
Last edited by Decadent Albatros on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
swampie2

Re: All that we have, chapter 1

Post by swampie2 »

"I use to eat alone" - used
"A minute of two passes by." - minute or two
There were a couple of spots where I would swap out some words or such, but if we all wrote like me then the fic section would go under overnight. :mrgreen:

I like this Misha, determined to help her buddies out.

"I don't consider myself a good writer" - I do, keep going. I look forward to what you can do with this scenario, you have my interest for sure!
Last edited by swampie2 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Shots - My stories thread.
Decadent Albatros

Post by Decadent Albatros »

swampie2 wrote:"I use to eat alone" - used
"A minute of two passes by." - minute or two

I like this Misha, determined to help her buddies out.

I look forward to what you can do with this scenario, you have my interest for sure!
Upsies at the grammar errors, I'll make sure to be more careful next time!

As for the rest, yeah I figured that Misha would honestly help out Hisao since, at least in my opinion, she has no reason not to do so! Plus, I like writing her :lol:
Thanks for the kind words, I'll try to not disappoint! :)
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

Decadent Albatros wrote:Upsies at the grammar errors, I'll make sure to be more careful next time!
I wouldn't worry about it, both of those seem like mispresses instead of spelling errors. If you don't have anyone proofreading then feel welcome to send stuff my way (though I'm hardly a leading authority for spelling and grammar :lol: )

Couldn't fault anything else even if I were being really picky.
Decadent Albatros

swampie2 wrote:
Decadent Albatros wrote:Upsies at the grammar errors, I'll make sure to be more careful next time!
I wouldn't worry about it, both of those seem like mispresses instead of spelling errors. If you don't have anyone proofreading then feel welcome to send stuff my way (though I'm hardly a leading authority for spelling and grammar :lol: )

Couldn't fault anything else even if I were being really picky.
I'll absolutely keep it in mind, thanks a lot! :D
And yeah, mispresses or mistakes, english is not my main language so such mistakes are bound to happen if I write it by myself (thought I do have sources that can help me, as I mentioned up above)
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

swampie2 wrote:I wouldn't worry about it, both of those seem like mispresses instead of spelling errors. If you don't have anyone proofreading then feel welcome to send stuff my way (though I'm hardly a leading authority for spelling and grammar :lol: )
They grow up so fast...
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

Blank Mage wrote:They grow up so fast...

Never thought i'd acidentally create slightly lewd dr.pepper

I just feel like it's time to help out some other guys instead of brooding over my own stories all day. :lol:
Decadent Albatros

swampie2 wrote:
Blank Mage wrote:They grow up so fast...

Never thought i'd acidentally create slightly lewd dr.pepper

I just feel like it's time to help out some other guys instead of brooding over my own stories all day. :lol:
Ah, the new generation of holders of the mighty Dr.Pepper bottle!
Last edited by Silentcook on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't quote images that were just posted, people...
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

As swampie said, a few grammar issues, e.g.
I went from being locked up on in my own prison
or
denying her of becoming a better person.
I suggest "preventing her from..."
I belive you could catch most of them yourself by reading the stuff out loud, but a proofreader is also alwasy an option.
But don't worry, there are native speakers whose grammar is a lot worse than yours. :-)

As for the story, you've said yourself that the premise is hardly original, but so far we've only seen the starting point - you can still take it in unexpected directions.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Decadent Albatros

Mirage_GSM wrote:As swampie said, a few grammar issues, e.g.
I went from being locked up on in my own prison
or
denying her of becoming a better person.
I suggest "preventing her from..."
I belive you could catch most of them yourself by reading the stuff out loud, but a proofreader is also alwasy an option.
But don't worry, there are native speakers whose grammar is a lot worse than yours. :-)

As for the story, you've said yourself that the premise is hardly original, but so far we've only seen the starting point - you can still take it in unexpected directions.
Eh, I might not attract many viewers by doing something so non-original, but I do it mostly for my own pleasure and share it. So we'll see, at the moment I just hope to... ehm, learn the basics(?) for doing longer works. Anyway, thanks for the comment! I'll really enjoy solid critique in this longer fanfic, since it's my first multi-chapter one :P
Decadent Albatros

Welcome back everyone! As you can see, this is not dead and I hope that the next chapter will be released fairly quickly. As far as this one goes, well it's mostly to introduce some major plot advancements, so I hope you don't mind it being short. I'll give a big thanks to /u/TheDwarfLard for being a bro and checking this chapter and to all of you for reading, commenting and giving me signs that you like what this FFic is looking like, so far.
Without further ado, here is the second chapter!

Chapter 2

Knock, knock, knock

Oh no, please not now. Of all the possible times, not now; leave me alone! The sound from the door wakes me out from my daydreaming, drawing my attention and forcing me to think about what I want to do about it.
My mind keeps telling me not to do it, yet my feet bring me towards the door. What am I doing?! Hanako please stop, don't open that door! I keep telling myself to stop, to ignore it since maybe they will leave but nothing changes. My hand is already on the door's handle, turning it and swinging the door wide open.

One, no... two figures stand before me. Why did they come here?

Hisao and Lilly stand before me, with two smiles that do not reassure me. With anger and fear running through my body, I close the door only to find them in my room. Fear takes over, forcing me to back away while they walk towards me. They don't seem to understand my feelings, since their smiles are still presents on their faces.
"L-LEAVE! I DON'T WANT YOU HERE!"

Screaming as loud as I can, they stop for a moment to say words that I don't understand nor care about since I’m too busy pushing them away. Caught in a panic attack, I freeze on the spot and start breathing heavily. C'mon you'll be fine, just breath and close your eyes and everything will be gone. I do so, but when I reopen them I instead find even more copies of Lilly and Hisao staring at me, with those stupid smiles on their faces.

"I DON'T WANT YOU, LEAVE!! GET AWAY FROM HERE!!"

Not understanding what is going on, I fall on my knees, put my head in my arms, and keep screaming until my throat hurts. As they are already next to me and about to hug me, the ground beneath me crumbles. I find myself in a house on fire and, after yet another scream, everything goes black.

I wake up, sweating and heaving, looking around me just to make sure that what I saw was just a dream. I look at my table, the nightstand, and the door and I don't find any Hisao or Lilly.

"T-They are g-gone... ", I whisper to myself, almost not sure myself if what I just dreamed was real or not. It's weird, this is the second similar nightmare that I had ever since that accident. Is my mind trying to tell me something? I mean, something is causing me to have those nightmares but I don't understand why it’s happening. I'm absolutely sure that I don't need those two, they only caused problems and I was a fool to let them in my life!

What I did was a mistake and, as much as I want to go back, I know all too well that I would end up hurting myself. I don't want to be seen as a porcelain doll, but as a human being and if to achieve this I have to be on my own, well I'm ready to do so... I think. After all, I was alone for the majority of my life. How bad would it be continue to stay like that for the rest of it?

Well, if I want to do so then I must do something in order to get some self-confidence, thing that I lack... a lot. I'm not going to class, so I might as well start thinking of doing something about this new goal.

Let's hope everything works out well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, it's morning, the sun is beaming as bright as ever and I'm ready to begin a day of school with, hopefully, no inconveniences. With my bag on my back and auto convincing myself that today might be a good day, especially after Misha's words, I swing the door wide open and... right, it couldn't be so easy, right?

In front of me stands the ever-present Kenji, with a concerned expression. Could he have something other than conspiracy theories in store for me?

"Hey, man! You look better than yesterday. What happened? I saw that you came back quite late from school..."

Oh, I see. Well, I surely can't tell him the truth, otherwise I wouldn't hear the end of it, so I start thinking about a small white lie, just to save me some time.

"Miki stopped me, she wanted me to repeat her some concepts of yesterday's chemistry lesson.”

As predicted, his eyes go wide but not by a huge amount. After all, it’s Miki, the least feministic girl in Yamaku; with that in mind, I think, Kenji's face shifts back to a smile. Maybe I won't be here too long, after all.

"Good, good. You know, I was worried about you. I saw pink hair in the hallways and you know, my bro-senses were tingling! That's what buddies do, right?” he says while giving me a pat on the back.
"Right. Anyway, I'm sorry but I really must go to class. See you later, perhaps?"

"Sure, if you can say hi to bac-I mean Hanako from me. She's cool, a valuable asset in this war we're currently facing. We need to make use of every resource we h-"

I don't manage to hear the last bit of his sentence since I'm already at the end of the hallway, preparing to go down the stairs. I know that I didn't say to Kenji about what happened, but I'm really surprised that he thinks positively about her. Maybe Misha was more right then I gave her credit for, perhaps I really need to get myself in order.

That, and man I'm such an idiot.

As the second period continues, my mind is too focused on rethinking today's discussion then to pay attention to the English lesson. Past Perfect Simple be damned, I have more important matters in hand: like how to actually revert one of the biggest mistakes in my life.

Kenji and Misha are right, in their own way. Hanako is a precious girl and too special, so excuses are in order; but it's not that simple, is it? I mean, the big question still is 'Am I ready to deal with the consequences?’ which answer still is a big enigma. In all honesty, I could still end up making the same mistakes, so before doing anything too sudden I should actually use my head. That, and maybe wait for Lilly to return from Scotland. She should be back the day after tomorrow, and I'm sure that with her I should be able to set something up; plus, I think she should know everything about what happened.

Yeah, that is what I'll do. For now, I'll focus on studying and on overcoming my 'white knight-ness'. It might be hard, but I want to prove to myself that I can do this. Self-doubt be damned, from today I'll do everything I can to get Hanako's trust... again!

Now, how do I put this sentence in past tense, again?

Previous Chapter
Last edited by Decadent Albatros on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

That's what buddies to, right?”
That's what buddies do, right?
if you can say hi to bac-I mean Hanako from me.
This went right over my head, no clue what that means.

Another nice chapter!
Decadent Albatros

swampie2 wrote:
if you can say hi to bac-I mean Hanako from me.
This went right over my head, no clue what that means.
Kenji wanted to tease Hisao by calling Hana bacon, but I thought that he's not THAT much of a douche, so I decided to go with a half-measure :lol:

Anyway, thanks! Next one will be longer, as I said previously
Oddball

Re: All that we have, chapter 2

Post by Oddball »

Not bad. I think it's missing a bit of a character beat with Misha though. Hisao blames himself and Misha immedialty says that yeah, he's stupid and it probably was his fault.

The scene doesn't quite feel right to me, as it is.

It seems to me that Misha's first reaction would be more like “Really? Hanako yelled at you? Hanako? And you were just trying to help?”

Then when Hisao pushes that he's to blame, she'd accept that he probably knows better than she does. Misha just doesn't seem to me like a person that understands “trying too hard.”
Not Dead Yet