Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

-abscess

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by -abscess »

cpl_crud wrote:I only have my PC on for about 6 hours a day so if you've got any devotion you'll catch up.
Something must be wrong with my computer. Most WUs I get now are around 500 steps or less and the points given aren't that much. It seems i}I'll have to read a fuck on how to configure the damn thing..... If I ever convince my lazy self of doing it :lol:
cpl_crud wrote:Also I only seem to get WUs in the realm of 900 points so it usually takes about a week to get one done. I'd set up the GPU client but I have this niggling thing in the back of my mind that the majority of discoveries made by F@H will not be medical, but commerical, like making better versions of Bio-Zet...
Hmmm.... It disappoints me that I never saw it that way. But yes, now that I think about it, that would very well be a possible outcome. I remember reading that the results would be accesible to everyone to some degree, but universities these days, mainly in the US, seem more concerned about money than actually being of use to the whole of society. Meaning that how much is really given to the public may be hard to tell.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Well do'nt get me wrong; I've got no problem with Universities doing commercial research to keep going, but I dislike it when it is hidden behind the veil of the Greater Good.

If the F@H site said "We're trying to cure cancer, but along the way we might also make your whites whiter!" then I would still fold. It's still a fact that this research could possibly help in medical advances, so don't let that taint you. And I'm sure that the original concept was designed for medical research, as most nerds usually fail to see the commercial value of their work until it's too late.

And if I get to 80 years old and have no Alchizmer's AND the whitest shirt on the street I'll be a happy 80-year-old hermit.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Bara

Post by Bara »

You never can tell what the results of basic research will end up being. They can be a scientific curiosity or, literally in this case, the cure for a major disease.

Now if someone makes a ton of money off of a cure, I suppose it is honestly one of the reasons companies develop drugs. Having drugs and such developed "at cost"; much as I'd love to see it, is just is not realistic. If folding these proteins lets some drugs get developed faster, cheaper, and more safely I am all for it.

With humans being what they are, I'm sure there is some sort of peer review process for who submits which proteins to be modeled. I'm also pretty sure that Stanford University would be very concious of the high profile that F@H has, and knows that any blemish on the project would be a huge black eye to the school and raise questions about its ability to oversee other large research projects.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

G3n0c1de wrote:I scoured the internet to see if anyone has taken notice of our folding.

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic ... abd9131451

Nothin' big, but the Tales series of games community forum apparently is trying to do some folding of their own.
DoubleL wrote:Ok, so I was going to declare the Katawa Shoujo team our rivals, because I can do that sort of stuff, but as it stands they are kicking our butts up around our ears.
This made me smile. It's nice to be noticed.
We need a theme song like these guys. Any opinions on this?

That said, any F@H breakthrough, medical or not, is going to be capitalized on by the opportunistic. Vast lexicon of drug info which saves a liver or two every month or so aside, working in the pharmaceutical field has taught me that much.

1 moderately good CPU, 1 8800gtx, 5 really OLD CPUs.
Kota

Post by Kota »

Theme Song.
2600k 4.5GHz bigadv folder, occasionally an additional 860 2.8GHz smp folder.
laharl

Post by laharl »

Kota wrote:

Theme Song.
epic. that is all i have to say
I tried writing something funny or DEEP here. But i couldn't think of anything.
Bara

Post by Bara »

laharl wrote:
Kota wrote:Theme Song.
epic. that is all i have to say
Hmm, not bad, but I say if it ain't got lyrics it ain't really got a soul; a song is supposed to reach down into you and have an effect. This just numbs my brain.
Heh, I guess I just don't understand younguns nowdays and their "modern music". :lol:

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Malinor

Post by Malinor »

It's because you haven't played Fate/stay night that's all. =P
Bara

Post by Bara »

Malinor wrote:It's because you haven't played Fate/stay night that's all. =P
Nope, I haven't. I saw the anime and was not impressed enough to look into the VN.

Palodin

Post by Palodin »

We need a theme song like these guys. Any opinions on this?
Theres only one real option -
berserker29

Post by berserker29 »

For a KS team theme song, why look any farther than KS itself?

I nominate "Generic Happy Music" :mrgreen:
2xCPU version, 1xPS3, 1xGTX 260
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

berserker29 wrote:For a KS team theme song, why look any farther than KS itself?

I nominate "Generic Happy Music" :mrgreen:

I dunno, maybe the theme of the opening sans the overriding heartbeat, where you see the IV dripping and the clock ticking. Maybe. But we're neither here to have a heart attack nor to become boxing legends; we're here to kick protein ass in the name of an eroge about dysfunctional teens. Yeah.

A nights worth of sleeping on this....did the movie Blind Fury have any noteworthy music in it? My search-fu is insufficient and my memory is lacking...

Palodin

Post by Palodin »

http://www.xcpus.com/folding/foldingtea ... 809&page=1

Some detailed stats for our team, with graphs and pie charts! Also has detailed user-stats for e-peen purposes.
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Palodin wrote:http://www.xcpus.com/folding/foldingtea ... 809&page=1

Some detailed stats for our team, with graphs and pie charts! Also has detailed user-stats for e-peen purposes.
Hand puppets. We need hand puppets for illustrational purposes.

Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Man i really wish i could help you guys, but i don't think I'd much use. Since this thing is usually always running heavy resource hogging programs and is always shut off and being moved. :(