The Library Anniversarie Collection

WORDS WORDS WORDS

dewelar

Re: The Library Anniversarie Collection

Post by dewelar »

I think one thing that could stand some clarification is the "Status" bit. Right now, we've only got "complete" (obvious), "ongoing", and "abandoned", and no indication of what differentiates the last two. Is "abandoned" only the stories where the author specifically stated that the story wasn't being continued (e.g., Numb's Miki route)? Or is there some interval without an update that shifts something from one to the other? Should something like Tomorrow's Doom go in the "abandoned" bin because it hasn't updated in 18 months, or should there perhaps be some separate status ("in Limbo"?) for authors who are still at least quasi-active on the boards?
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
brythain

Post by brythain »

Hmm, so far most of our solutions would seem to require 'off-board' support (e.g. BlankMage's Google doc or Mirage_GSM's Excel sheet).

There's a tiny bit of discomfort on my part about it being off-board, but that would disappear completely if a moderator had primary control of the central document and granted permission to the Librarian and assistant librarians to edit, as well as permission to back up off-site. This allows long-term survival until whenever the board itself is no longer around.

For status setting, IIRC we had a sort of discussion about that some time back. I think what might be helpful would be 'Complete' and 'Abandoned' (i.e. two ends of the spectrum of 'He's Dead, Jim') plus 'In Progress' ('WIP') and 'Hiatus > One Year' ('H+1'). That last is a sort of arbitrary benchmark, and it defines 'In Progress' essentially as 'no news for up to a year'. 'Hiatus' can be modified to 'H+2', 'H+3' etc if so required. 'Abandoned' can likewise be modified to 'No End in Sight' ('-E') or 'Ending Possible' ('+E'), if that helps; bearing in mind that 'Abandoned' must require the writer to say so. One more status could be 'Fragment' — i.e. there is a thread but it doesn't even get into much of a plot before entering H+n.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well, the distinction between "abandoned" and "ongoing" was a bit arbitrary, but in general we considered a story that hadn't been updated in 6 months abandoned with some notable exceptions for long going stories with known long update cycles.
I agree this could be improved somewhat, but rather than the "> 1 year" solution (that would have to be updated as time goes on), it should probably rather be a "last update 2014-02-31" or something like that.

And the "off board" as I understood it would probably be more a coordination tool for the people adding to the library, so I don't see any problem there.
I could upload all the docs containing the current library entries - I made most of them anyway; comrade just posted them. (Sea was never involved in the library as far as I know - apart from suggesting this anniversary thread.)

But the first order of business would be to ask SC to change the opening posts over to a new user - Blank Mage, dewelar and myself volunteered, and I think we've all been around long enough that we can be expected to be around a bit longer still :-)
The actual updating of the thread is the least amount of work by the way. It's just copy pasting the code from the doc into the thread. It's far more tedious to check and fix the formatting of the third person submitted entries - some people have real problems using the template. ^^°

Edit:
Oh, and I missed one question:
I did create seperate entries for individual one-shots in collection threads, if I felt the stories warranted it.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Well, the distinction between "abandoned" and "ongoing" was a bit arbitrary, but in general we considered a story that hadn't been updated in 6 months abandoned with some notable exceptions for long going stories with known long update cycles.
Whenever somebody says something like this, I feel like I should appologize. :oops:
Not Dead Yet
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

Oddball wrote:
Whenever somebody says something like this, I feel like I should appologize. :oops:
You said it.
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

Oddball wrote:
I knoooow
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Idea: what about creating an account for the Library itself (unless that was what was meant by "a new user"), assigning the Library posts to that user, and then sharing that account among the library administrators?

I'm normally against shared accounts, but AFAIK it's the only technical way to do this without making the library administrators forum moderators, or moving it off the KS forums entirely.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

bhtooefr wrote:Idea: what about creating an account for the Library itself (unless that was what was meant by "a new user"), assigning the Library posts to that user, and then sharing that account among the library administrators?

I'm normally against shared accounts, but AFAIK it's the only technical way to do this without making the library administrators forum moderators, or moving it off the KS forums entirely.
That's not a bad idea, at least in theory. It would be simple enough to create a shared Yahoo or Gmail account as the "owner" of the board account. The same could be done for other accounts with multiple overseers (e.g., the Book Club). There might be security concerns, but that could be easily handled as well. Of course, it would have to be approved by Silentcook before implementation.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
brythain

Post by brythain »

[This] was my contribution to the Library's rather sad and silent second anniversary. I always think of Yuuko sitting there with no new books coming in and dusting the shelves and sighing to herself.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
brythain

Post by brythain »

25th August, 2016 was the third anniversary of the Yamaku Library, such as it has been. The Library is still open. Do drop by.