WORDS WORDS WORDS

HoneyBakedHam

Re: Monomyth: Taro Arai's Story [Update: 18/7/15]

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Don't have the ability for it or is it the stomach? :P
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Sharp-O wrote:Probably a little of both to be honest! I'm too much of a softie to put characters through prolonged emotional turmoil. :lol:
I'm quite the opposite. I roll around deep in that stuff. Even more if it has a believable good ending.
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

I liked the chapter allot. Not your best, sure, but I think you did a good job with everything you were trying to get across. And as someone who doesn't really like people being hardheaded and not accepting help when they need it, I had no problem with the semi-quick resolution.

Also, as a side note, I thought of something that kinda ruined the drama you were likely trying to build when Nomiya came in. After hearing about the divorce, the first thing I thought of was he was Ritsu's dad(what with both getting divorces), even if it makes no sense at all. I just found it really funny. I'm easily amused. :lol:
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

AntonSlavik020 wrote:After hearing about the divorce, the first thing I thought of was he was Ritsu's dad(what with both getting divorces), even if it makes no sense at all. I just found it really funny. I'm easily amused. :lol:
Oh christ, that cracked me up, I hadn't even thought of that :lol:
One Shots - My stories thread.
Sharp-O

Post by Sharp-O »

swampie2 wrote:
AntonSlavik020 wrote:After hearing about the divorce, the first thing I thought of was he was Ritsu's dad(what with both getting divorces), even if it makes no sense at all. I just found it really funny. I'm easily amused. :lol:
Oh christ, that cracked me up, I hadn't even thought of that :lol:
Agreed, that would have been super awkward! :lol:
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Wow. I still want to hate Nomiya, but I get his position - that's pretty rough. :(

Also, interesting story related to that last part: in the past, I had a meltdown that was the result of keeping five years worth of self-hate and general pissed-off-ness under wraps so as not to concern anybody close to me. The results were... unsurprisingly grim.
From experience, I can definitely say that Taro's making the right choice there. I've also realised that the reason I like your Taro is at least somewhat because he reminds me of myself - just replace the drawing talent with impressions :lol:

Yet another stellar edition to the story, Sharp! you know, I'm almost starting to consider these compliments at the end of each post redundant - it's all good!
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

Alpacalypse wrote:Wow. I still want to hate Nomiya, but I get his position - that's pretty rough. :(
I feel the same way, I just want to be angry at him but I can't :lol:
Alpacalypse wrote:Also, interesting story related to that last part: in the past, I had a meltdown that was the result of keeping five years worth of self-hate and general pissed-off-ness under wraps so as not to concern anybody close to me. The results were... unsurprisingly grim.
Damn man, hope you're okay!
Sharp-O

Post by Sharp-O »

I agree with Swamp, I hope you're in a much better headspace now, Al. What kind of impressions do you do?

I thought it would be easy to make Nomiya the bad guy (and believe me, I really wanted to write a boss battle scene where everyone fought him) but to make him sympathetic? That would be a challenge and I'm glad people seem to be accepting it. :D
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

I congratulate you, Al. I was always in that position and a horrible, abusive relationship that ended 3 years ago made it worse and still in it today. Not really sure how to get myself out of it, so it's good to hear someone has.

As for Nomiya: When I read it, my first thought was "he's faking it to get sympathy and he's really a big asshole" and, personally, I still think he was overacting it (even with the Akio conversation about Maeda).
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Several people wrote:Concern for me
Eh, it was pretty stupid of me to bottle it up and not tell anybody. Fortunately, everybody involved was supportive, so it ended alright - it was just the immediate aftermath that was grim.
I still have some self esteem and confidence issues, but they're a bit less severe now than they were a while back.

I just thought it was an interesting parallel to Taro's thought process. *shrug*
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

You were lucky. For me, it's like a balance of Emi and Lilly: I don't try to get support, but it's because I feel like I have no real support to help back me. Sure, I got my folks, but they're also in the same group of people that expect me to do all sorts of supporting them that it's starting to wear me down. You'd think at 23, I'd still have some active energy to get out and be young; however, for me, it's more like I already feel like I'm already at mid-life crisis and exhausted from holding myself and others up. I guess that's not too bad for an Aspie in college and working two jobs, though. Just wish I could have someone else pull the cart while I rest.
Sharp-O

Monomyth: Taro Arai's Story [Update: 21/7/15]

Post by Sharp-O »

Twenty-Nine: Reverse/Re:birth

“I think you did well today, Taro. Very well.” Miss Tsunemori compliments me but I don’t exactly feel like I’ve accomplished anything. Today, at least.

“Thank you, Miss Tsunemori. I really do appreciate you doing this during the summer.” I smile politely out of habit but I have no doubt she can see straight through it. I ease myself off the comfortable couch and stretch my neck out. My councillor rises and crosses her arms.

“No problem, it’s what I’m here for but please, I think we can move past the formalities, Taro. Call me Akane.” She smiles genuinely and it probably the highlight of this session. It’s a nice name…

“Okay… Thanks, Akane.” I do offer a sincere smile this time and she seems satisfied with that.

“I’ll see you soon.” She says, ushering me out of her office. I stand in the hall for a few seconds, rubbing my raw eyes. The moment I step out of that office, everything I said to her seems to disappear from my head. Probably for the best. Dragging all that emotional baggage with me all the time would be a bad time for everyone.

One thing I’ve realised is that I’ve been taking some stuff far too seriously and personally. More time for myself. And Ritsu. My friends can handle their own problems, they’re more than capable enough. The rest of the world can wait. It’s summer time and I’m going to enjoy being plain old Taro. I start to walk out of the medical wing and into the warm, summer…

Rain. Well then. I step back a little to avoid the drizzle and whip out my phone.

[I’m all yours, little lady. What do you want to do today?]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

“{Forget your brolly, mate}?” Molly cackles as I pass her in the hall, no doubt leaving a trail of wet footprints in my wake.

“{Bugger off, Molls}!” I snipe back with a smile. One of the benefits of befriending a trilingual is you get to learn all sorts of new, fun ways to curse people out. British slang is much easier to pick up than Hindi though. She giggles at my earnest attempt and gives me a thumbs up as she goes into the common room.

More people have returned as the summer has gone on but both dorms are far from full. Ritsu’s neighbours on either side of her have yet to return, much to our shared relief. I find Ritsu waiting at her door with a fresh towel.

“Take those clothes off right now.” She orders and I can’t help but sass her.

“I’m not even through the door and you can’t wait to get into my pants…” I shake my head in mock disbelief.

“But unlike you, I’m not wet.” She raises an unimpressed eyebrow. I bet, wherever he is, Akio is now laughing but he doesn’t know why.

“Shall we fix that?” I smirk and embrace her tightly.

“I just changed, you jerk!” She giggles and puts up the barest resistance to the affectionate kisses on her neck.

“Sorry.” I smile and take the towel from her hands, rubbing my hair and entering her room.

“I didn’t say stop!” She scolds with a devilish grin as she shuts the door behind her and locks it.

Ritsu breathes heavily as she raises herself up off her back, taking my face in her hands and kisses me deeply as I sit in a kneeling position on her bed. This heat, combined with our love-making, has made us both slick with sweat.

“Bravo, Mr Arai…” She sighs with a coy smile.

“You weren’t too bad yourself, Miss Tainaka.” I chuckle.

I sit back against her wall and she cuddles up to me.

“What’s the chances of us both being able to sneak into the shower block?” I ask, half-knowing the answer already.

“That towel isn’t going to cover everything and I don’t think I have a cardboard box big enough for you to Solid Snake your way there and back.” She giggles. Just as I thought.

“Never mind, I can always just go outside and wash in the rain.” As if the gods were mocking me, a column of sunlight streams into the room, the summer shower clearly at an end.

“What’s your Plan C, big guy?” Ritsu guffaws.

“I’ll think of one, just going to enjoy the company for a while.” I grin and kiss Ritsu tenderly.

I just make it through the double doors of the boys’ dorms when a fresh downpour begins. The weather will make up it’s damn mind eventually. I hope Ritsu made it over to the arts wing okay. As I pass by the common room, I notice a familiar looking beret. Okay, it’s the only beret that’s ever on this campus but my point is, I think owe Maeda an apology. Luckily Lezard and Ikuno are here too so it won’t look like I’m cornering him.

I move closer and offer a general greeting to the room. “Hey, guys. Enjoying the break?”

Maeda flinches and Lezard and Ikuno’s polite smiles turn to concern when he does so. I breathe a heavy sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose.

“Look, Mae-- Takashi. I wanted to apologise for what I did last week. I was worried about Rin but I shouldn’t have man-handled you like that. I’m sorry, man.” I offer sincerely and Maeda gives me a sceptical look.

“Yeah… Sure…” He says slowly.

“I mean it. I was an asshole and I want to say I’m sorry.” He looks to his friends and they give slight shrugs and raised eyebrows. He seems to accept their assessment and simply nods.

“Sure, bygones and all that jazz.” I guess that’s the best I’m getting out of him. I did my part anyway. I offer a wave to Lezard and Ikuno and head towards the stairs.

“Taro, hold up!” I turn to look at Lezard who’s jogged up behind me.

“Hey, could you have a word with Akio for me? School’s gonna start up again soon and Suzu’s kinda been missing him from the Lit. Club.” He rubs the back of his neck.

“I guess but wouldn’t you be better off asking him? Or ask Suzu to do it herself?”

“Well… Me and Suzu aren’t on the best of terms right now…” He grimly admits.

“Okaaaay, sure. I’ll have a word.” I nod. Whatever it is between those two, I’m not getting involved. This is me-time.

“Thanks, Taro. Appreciate it!” He gives thumbs up and jogs back into the common room. I hear Maeda speaking rapidly but I don’t hear the exact words. Whatever.

I reach my floor and enter the hallway, meeting Hanako on the way. She looks a little flush and her hair’s a little dishevelled at its edges. I give her a silent, smiling nod and offer my hand up for a high-five as I pass. She reciprocates with a hand and blushing smirk of her own. I never thought those two would be such a good match but I have to admit, it’s sweet to see them both happier. I wait to hear the stairwell door close behind me before knocking on Akio’s door.

Oh-hooo! Miss me already?” He laughs as he slides the door open to find me with a smug grin.

“Like you wouldn’t believe.”

“Um, hey.” He blushes, covering his bare nipples with his free arm. “I, err, thought you were someone else…” He meekly explains, avoiding eye contact. Given Hana’s hair and the fresh nail marks along his chest, I’m just thankful he’s wearing pants.

“I gathered. Lezard collared me and asked me to ask you to have a word with Suzu about the Lit. Club? Think you can sort that?”

“Um, sure, yeah. I’ll text Suzu later.” He nods in thought.

“Good. Make sure to put a shirt on!” I call as I go to my room.

“I’ll think about it!” He laughs as his door closes.

The sun is setting when I hear a knock at my door. I get up from my desk and slide it open to find Ritsu rocking from side to side, her braced arms behind her back.

“Hey, can Taro come out and play?” She says in an almost child-like voice..

“Sorry, he’s got homework to do.” I say slyly and begin to close the door, Ritsu catching it with one hand and throwing a playful bop to my chest with the other.

“Don’t the close the door on me, jerk!” She laughs, barging her way in. “Wow, you actually were doing homework!” She says, leaning against my chair and pearing at the stack of books and notebooks.

“What else would I be doing?” I ask and she just winks.

Things.” She purrs suggestively.

“When you offer home delivery? Why would I need to?” I smirk and kiss her forehead before sitting back at my desk. Ritsu takes a perch on my knee and leans against my desk.

“How’d you got on in the arts wing? Did you do what you needed to?” I guess she must have gone to the music room.

“Yeah, had a little playtime with Saki.” She idly comments,confirming my suspicions while looking through my science notes.

“Should I be jealous?” I raise a quizzical eyebrow.

“Probably, have you seen the way her fingers move?” She gives me a coy smile.

“No, but you seem to be intimately familiar with them.” I laugh and she giggles a little.

“But seriously, please don’t leave me for a pretty violinist.”

“I won’t leave you… for a pretty violinist.” She wraps her arms around my neck and smirks.

“That’s oddly specific.” I chuckle nervously before she plants a kiss on my lips.

“I really should be studying…” I whisper as she nuzzles my neck.

“I know. Me too. Shall I go get my books?”

“Make you a deal: We study for three hours straight or until we finish the science assignment and I’ll give you a reward.” I offer with a sultry smirk. Ritsu looks deep into my eyes, fully on the same wavelength. She groans and gets up.

“Deal but it better be an amazing reward!”

Three hours of frantic studying later and we’re both a little worse for wear.

“Ugh, did you forget how to use a pen too?” Ritsu laments, unlatching her braces and massaging her wrist.

“No, but I’m definitely out of practice…” I retort, flexing my fingers and looking at the barely legible scribbles in my notebook.

Ritsu crawls over from her laid down position and curls her self up against me.

“Still want your reward?” I chuckle, massaging her held out wrist for her.

“As long as it’s more of what you’re doing, then sure…” She dreamily sighs and nestles her head against my chest.

“Whatever you want, Rits.” I smile and rest my chin on her head, looking into the middle distance. School’s going to start up again soon. It’s going to be busy but hopefully I can avoid any major drama and focus on my exams.

“Whatcha thinking about, Mr. Arai?”

“That it’s time for bed, Miss Tainaka.” I kiss her softly on the lips. “I think we deserve a little rest, don’t you?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Notes: This is NOT the end to Monomyth but I think I need a little break from it, both to recharge my batteries on it and to properly plot out an ending. I have ideas but I want to give the series a send-off to be proud of. In the meantime, one-shot tie-ins will continue to build up the universe more so please look forward to those.

Thank you to everyone who has read the series thus far and offered support and criticism. I wouldn't have done it without you.
Last edited by Sharp-O on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
swampie2

Re: Monomyth: Taro Arai's Story [Update: 21/7/15]

Post by swampie2 »

Noticed a couple of errors this time round, like "I grimly admits. " I think you wrote this chapter for a different POV and changed it?

Ritsu has become nymphomaniac. I don't know what do think of this. :lol:
"Make you a deal: We study for three hours straight or until we finish the science assignment and I’ll give you a reward."
This, my friends, is how it should be done.
“I think we deserve a little rest, don’t you?”
I really thought that was the end for a second there. :evil: