Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Munchenhausen

Re: Ask!

Post by Munchenhausen »

Silentcook wrote:Pill bottle, actually, though the shape is pretty much spot-on.
That makes more sense than inkpot, really... :oops:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Rhodri wrote:Something for Suriko.

When writting Summer''s Clover, what area of Japan did you set Miki's hometown? And while I'm at it, what about Suzu?
I was thinking of Aomori in terms of general prefecture, and a general mix of what parts of rural Japan I'd seen while over there when writing Miki's hometown. Any rural area in the general north of Japan would suffice, really.

As for Suzu, I did have a town in mind, but have totally forgotten it. Possibly Ishinomaki.
ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

When you were making Katawa Shoujo, were there any ideas or plans to add that you normally would see in a typical romance anime that were later scrapped or didnt fit the VN? Like the school trip, a hotsprings or beach episode?
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Probably some, not the ones you specifically mentioned though. KS has its share of stock stuff even as it is, after all.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Trumiano

Post by Trumiano »

Hi!

First i want to say that i get impressed by the work that KS have, and also impressed by the fact that is fan-made Visual Novel. The histories was... Amazing, the fact that you can't take a lot of decisions but that mades this a little different and puts the player into a one decision event than can change the story "totally".

I only play 2 routes (Hanako and Lilly) and the Emi's route i see that on youtube and i get all Hanako's route unlocked. And I got a questions that i don't know if they are solved on this post, because i came here from this year and now are 300+ pages of this post xD.

Here are my questions

1- ¿ 4LS are considering to add more images to the game (Like Lilly eating the icecream or things like that?
2- ¿If i want to contact with the artist of the diferrent routes how i can do that?
3- ¿ How the artists of the different routes get the ideas of the illustracións, sprites, etc. and the ideas to "improve/upgrade" the sketch of RAITA?
4- ¿When 4LS made this game, you imagine that the game reach the people like the game does? ¿Why you make the game in a way that touch me all the routes that i pllayed? (why you are so cruel? (it's a joke xD))
5- if i want to contact with 4LS (not for job xD) ¿How i can't do it?
6- For now, i want to congrats the person('s) that work on the Lillly's route, because that final was, in my opinion, very awesome and good finished

PD: I'm not a English native speaker, so forget me for my faults on the coherence and those things.
PDD: I'm not try to said things like "Best Visual novel ever", but in my little experience with them i said that is one of the best or the best VN that i can play until now, but yes is one of my favorites, the story and the characters are awesome and very well worked/developed, and some details are interresting (because details are important)
I don't know if you read this 8 years before xD, but if you do... well thanks :D

Finally thanks for all the time that you spend on this project.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

1. No.
2. Various ways. You can PM them here, or contact them on Twitter. @fourleafstudios follows all 4LS members.
3. There's no good answer to the "where do you get your ideas" question. From our brains.
4. No, not at all. The response was a surprise to us.
5. You can email us at staff@katawa-shoujo.com
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
extremepiwy

Post by extremepiwy »

I am curious about the development of Katawa Shoujo.

During the early-mid progress of development I am guessing that most of you guys have not met with each other in person. I just can't imagine myself not taking anything seriously if it is not for a job and especially if I have not met them face to face. Was the motivation of solely the completion of the game the reason why everybody stuck with the project for such a long time?

Also how seriously did you guys take drop outs and how did you handle it? If it was me, I would be extremely concerned as people can just leave without a trace. And how strict and who was in charge of managing deadliness (submissions and whatnot)?

I know it is a lot of questions but I would prefer to put it in one reply than to keep asking many times.
"WAHAHAHA!~"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

extremepiwy wrote:I am curious about the development of Katawa Shoujo.

During the early-mid progress of development I am guessing that most of you guys have not met with each other in person. I just can't imagine myself not taking anything seriously if it is not for a job and especially if I have not met them face to face. Was the motivation of solely the completion of the game the reason why everybody stuck with the project for such a long time?
Essentially yes. Sure, there were other factors (like not wanting to let the others down), but those too stemmed from the goal of completing the project.
extremepiwy wrote:Also how seriously did you guys take drop outs and how did you handle it? If it was me, I would be extremely concerned as people can just leave without a trace. And how strict and who was in charge of managing deadliness (submissions and whatnot)?

I know it is a lot of questions but I would prefer to put it in one reply than to keep asking many times.
The project was structured so that we could take (nearly) anyone leaving/getting run over by a bus and survive. As for deadlines, we basically had none at all, because it was impossible to enforce them. Of course we set goals and pseudo-deadlines (individually and as sub-teams), but fundamentally everyone worked at their own pace.
danfs

Post by danfs »

So, how old were you (members of 4LS) when you decided to start/enter the project?
"Life is not nice, it's limited. An imperfect blink of an eye on the infinite immensity of the universe"
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

danfs wrote:So, how old were you (members of 4LS) when you decided to start/enter the project?
Let's see, this all kicked off in 2006, right? So I would have been 21. Good lord.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Joined on 6 March 2008. Now pushing 47 quite strongly. You can do the math.

Or rather: you can do the math ;_;
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

danfs wrote:So, how old were you (members of 4LS) when you decided to start/enter the project?
14, joined in 2007.
jayjayx5x1

Post by jayjayx5x1 »

Aura wrote: Yeah that's fine.
ok sweet I shall start working on it :)
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

Did the members of the project who weren't writers (artists, musicians, etc) have a say in the direction the game went? This is, things like the story, the theme, the characters. If someone didn't like something, did you guys scrapped it and tried to work it around, or did the writers have full freedom in the direction the story went and anyone else just went with it?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Everyone's thoughts were seriously taken into consideration, but most non-writing staff didn't give an awful lot of writing feedback.

No one had a straight up veto right to scrap another person's work. Getting things done would've been impossible if they had.