Swampie's Stories : Writings of a mad-man 3

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Alpacalypse

Re: swampie2's One-Shots

Post by Alpacalypse »

swampie2 wrote:This thread is now the Alpacalypse Appreciation Thread
I am entirely okay with this state of affairs :lol:
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
swampie2

Re: swampie2's One-Shots

Post by swampie2 »

I was burned out from trying to write Headliners too fast and the chapters I was writing were just awful. So here is this thing instead; an Emi-logue that takes place once Hisao and Emi are attending their second year at university,

Emi-logue

"I'm back!" Hisao shouts from the other side of the apartment as I hear the door shut.

"Afternoon." I greet him as I wander past him into the kitchen. "How was nerd club?" I hear him sigh in exasperation before answering.

"Nerd club was incredibly boring today. How about you?"

"Hands on." I wink, then realize that i'm looking inside the fridge instead of at Hisao. He reaches past me and grabs a box of orange juice before taking a swig straight from the bottle.

"What do you mean by hands on?" He asks, wiping his lacking facial hair free of juice.

"I am studying physical therapy you know?" I close the fridge and stare at Hisao. He goes bright red before speaking again.

"Hands on? With who?" His voice is meek and quiet.

"I'm just joking Hisao, we just studied it. I learned a lot about back massages." I offer with a giggle, he sighs and punches me in the arm while mumbling and beginning to root through the freezer. "You're cooking tonight?"

"Damn right I am!" His voice is muffled by various frozen foods, but still manages to reach me. "You cook for us far too often."

"Cook something tasty then!" I wink as I step into the hallway and towards the bathroom. I swing the door open and lay eyes on the bathtub, the reason we ended up buying this apartment in the first place. I spin the taps and search around for my shampoo. Luckily I manage to find my favorite strawberry shampoo and body wash before the tub is full. I spin the taps back and sit on the edge of the bath, removing my prosthetics and making sure nothing is messed up down there, luckily I'm in the clear though. I've gotten surprisingly good at checking them myself after my first year without a nurse ready to check me up at a moment notices, even if he was an ass. With the though of Yamaku running through my mind I lower myself into to tub, feeling the warm waves of relaxation run over me.

I remember my first days at Yamaku, though they're cloudy in my mind now. Meeting Rin and then Hisao later on, joining the track team, being in a wheelchair. Eugh, that took a turn for the worst, at least I haven't been in one since then. It's not that I would have stopped running if I had too, but that Hisao wouldn't let me. He'd hold my running legs hostage until I promised that I wouldn't run until I was okay, how angry I always am and how sorry he always is afterwards. I'm glad he does that to be honest, if not then I'd be cutting my legs up every month.

And here we are; Studying in university, Hisao studying sciences and myself physical therapy. Our Uni's aren't too far apart luckily, so we managed to see each other often, but It wasn't often enough. We agreed to get an apartment at the start of our second year, Hisao and I both asked a classmate if they wanted to get in on it, but both already had housing planned. Hisao has to work a job on top of our grants to pay for it, but he managed to find something that didn't take up too much time; A casheer job at a local coffee shop. He usually works mornings before his classes so he has to get up early and miss our runs half the week, but I make sure to get at least one afternoon run out of him a week. He's gotten pretty good since our Yamaku days.

With my thoughts beginning to run out, I lift myself from the tub and pull over the little stool we bought for this reason exactly, and flop onto it. My damn towels are out of reach though. I lean over as much as I can to reach them, but just end up falling to the ground, making a rather dull thud.

"You okay?" I hear Hisao shout from the kitchen. I don't think he'll ever stop worrying about me falling over since I hit my head on the coffee table, I don't think he understands that being drunk doesn't help balance.

"Just peachy." I return, finally grabbing a towel and throwing it next to me before rolling onto it. As much has Hisao would love to help me out of the bath, I refuse. Besides, he's cooking today. Or at least attempting to cook, the outcome could go either way. With my hair finally as dry as It can be, I wrap a towel around my torso and get to drying off my legs, I hate having wet prosthetics. Hisao told me that it's a little bit like having wet socks, I suppose that is true. I shrug on the nearest piece of clothing, Hisao's dressing gown that's far to big for me, and make my way back to the kitchen.

"Don't come in here yet, I want it to be a surprise." He shouts. He must have heard my steps; I need to get some stealth legs or something. With a shrug I slap myself onto the sofa and click the television on before flicking through the channels, landing on a news station since I can't be bothered to press the buttons anymore.

"...today a verdict was decided. Hanko Ikezawa has been proven non-guilty after she was involved in an attempted robbery by Mikio Oichi. The jury saw fit for no charges to be pressed. It was stated that Lilly Satou, a freind of Ikezawa's who was out with her for a walk, is legally blind, and could not protect herself, thusly Miss Ikezawa stepped in. In other news...

Oh shit. Hanako Ikezawa. Yep, there is her picture, scars and all. God she looks pale. And there is Lilly too, I hope they're okay, even If I barely ever spoke with them I still feel that we were acquaintances at the least. Before I know it, dinner is served by my very own idiot.

---

"We're gonna be late Emi!"

"I'm still not ready!"

"Then I think I have enough time to fix this door frame, I've been meaning to get that done."

"Shush you." I hastily don my earrings and do my last checks in the mirror. Looking good Emi. I swing to door open and take a couple of steps before seeing Hisao. In his suit. Wow. Wow.

"You should wear a suit more often."

"And you should wear dresses more often." He lights up, and I grab his hand to begin walking him to the door.

"But the door fraaaame" He whines.

"You can fix it tomorrow." I offer as we step into the chilly night air. He pulls his keys and locks the door while I re-adjust my dress. I hate dresses, but Hisao loves them. Or loves me in them. Maybe I should put him in a dress and see what he thinks. Hah. We make our way over the Hisao's car. Though we call the apartment "ours" this car is "Hisao's" He spends far to much time making sure it looks perfect even if it is a cheap, second hand banger. He swipes a leaf from the bonnet before opening my door in an over the top gentlemanly manner. I thank him with a peck on the cheek and slink into the car, and I see that I've left a lipstick mark on him.

"What? what?"

"Nothing." He looks me over for a second before deciding that there are no problems and starts the car. If I leave that there then It'll work like a wedding ring right? Before long we arrive in the city and not long after that we're stepping out of the car, and stood in front of the restaurant that we'd be texted earlier.

"Ladies first." Hisao offers, being a gentleman doesn't suit him.

"Well then what are you waiting for?" I grin, and he scowls before laughing. Once we step inside I become very glad that I insisted we get this dressed up; anything less and we'd be terribly under dressed. A very proper looking waiter sees us to our table, and I see who invited us. She is not dressed for this establishment, but it works. Her paint covered 3/4 jeans and incredibly baggy beige top, also covered in paint, fit her air incredibly well.

"Hey Rin!" I step over to her, limited by my dress, and pull her into a hug.

"Hello Emi. Hello Hisao." Her usual spaced out, monotone voice hangs in the air.

"Afternoon Rin how are you?" Hisao greets.

"I'm good. Well? I'm well." I disengage our hug and sit down opposite her where Hisao has sat himself.

"You've got a lot to tell me about Rin!" I point a finger in her direction, only barely capturing her attention. "Like what Tokyo is like? And who this boy is?"

"Tokyo is bright, very bright and flashy. Boy is not bright." She says in her usual voice, but the corners of her mouth tug upwards ever so slightly. "I think that's why he's not here yet, but I don't know."

"He better be here or I'll find him." Hisao laughs at me, I guess I don't look like that kind that would break someones kneecaps. Our waiter returns and takes our orders for drinks. I see Hisao wincing at the menu, It must be expensive here. I go for the "chardonnay" that I'm told is like wine, and Hisao goes for a red wine, and they're delivered in almost no time at all. By the time we're through our first glasses, the mystical 1/4 of our double date still hasn't turned up yet. Rin is looking more and more pensive by the minute. I don't want to make her feel bad, but I'm really hungry.

"We should eat." She says out of nowhere, almost stealing the thoughts from my head.

"Are you sure Rin?" Hisao asks, taking on a much softer tone. She nods rather forcefully, I half expected her shrug, but she seems pretty set on the idea. Hisao waves over a waiter and we order, I don't remember what. I know I ended up with another glass of chardonay thought, so I'm happy. As happy as I can be, I can't believe Rin's date stood her up. All I feel is a mixture of disappointment, anger and buzz from alcohol. We sit in almost silence before Hisao strikes up a conversation about Rin's study in Tokyo.

"It's exiting. And tiring. And I hurt my back a lot." She says before sipping at her drink, her drink that has been getting progressively stronger as the night aged.

"Have you been getting it checked?" I ask. "You better have been getting it checked." I add with a finger pointing at her and a pout.

"I don't know." Her voice wanders this time, lacking her usual lack of tone. "I might have? I can't remember-"

"Because you're good at forgetting things right?" Hisao finishes her sentence.

"How did you know?" She asks, and all we can do is laugh. Halfway through our drinks the food arrives, looks like I got some pasta of some form, while Hisao has an enormous pizza and Rin fries and steak that has bee pre cut. She looks at it for a moment before shrugging and grabbing a piece of food with her mouth. Me and Hisao also dig in, but I can't help from noticing the stares. I'd been used to it while we were all in Yamaku, but most people don't expect the girl in very casual wear to begin eating food straight from plate to mouth. I can imagine what they'd look like if Rin had used her feet, that puts a smile on my face. This is some damn good food! Hisao lets me try some of his and vice versa, and I can expect to be taken here far more often; I make that thought clear and Hisao agrees, though I fear for his wallet if we do.

Once we're done we decide to call it a night and Rin agrees to crash at our place. Hisao goes to pay the bill and Rin and I make our way outside. As we step towards the exit, Rin stops dead. I follow her gaze and see a very out of breath boy with tussled silver hair in a rather shoddily donned and Ill fitting suit. Rin looks him in the eyes, until their gazes meet, and then continues walking. He attempts to say something, but I can't make out any of it until we're outside, by the time I can make out "sorry." Rin is looking as down as I've ever seen her. Luckily Hisao rejoins us and I can see that he wants to ask in his eyes, I simply give him a frown and he takes the hint. I throw on some music while we drive, and get back to the apartment in no time. Luckily Hisao only had one glass so he could drive us.

We walk inside and Hisao goes to get out of his suit, and Rin and I take a seat on the couch. I put my arm around her and make sure to speak softly.

"Are you okay Rin?" She thinks for a moment before throwing her top half against me, it takes me a second to realize it's a hug and wrap my arms around her. Her next words are mumbled into my chest.

"I don't think I am. I'm not."
One Shots - My stories thread.
Mirage_GSM

Re: swampie2's One-Shots: Emi-logue [6/7/15]

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hmm... Even if this is just some distraction from your longer story it doesn't really work as a one-shot, since it basically just opens a lot of questions and answers almost none of them.
A few comments:
- They bought an apartment?
- What is the surprise in the first scene?
- What is the purpose of the news about Hanako? Someone tried to rob her and Lilly and she was in front of a jury? That doesn't make any sense at all.
- Lilly is not just legally blind.
- How did Emi know that there was supposed to be another guest, if she didn't even know it was Rin who invited them?
- With her mouth? Really? Why not use her feet like she usually does?
- If it was Rin who extended the invitation, why did she chose a restaurant like that. It seems like a very un-Rin-like thing to do.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

Mirage_GSM wrote: - They bought an apartment?
- What is the surprise in the first scene?
- What is the purpose of the news about Hanako? Someone tried to rob her and Lilly and she was in front of a jury? That doesn't make any sense at all.
- Lilly is not just legally blind.
- How did Emi know that there was supposed to be another guest, if she didn't even know it was Rin who invited them?
- With her mouth? Really? Why not use her feet like she usually does?
- If it was Rin who extended the invitation, why did she chose a restaurant like that. It seems like a very un-Rin-like thing to do.
-I meant rented, that word must have slipped my mind.
-Hisao's cooking
-Mind explaining why not? I tried finding stuff about it but couldn't find much?
-Is she not?
-Rin invited both Emi and Hisao on a double date.
-It was already cut, She saw no point getting her leg up on the table
-She extended the invitation, but the guy chose the restaurant.

It's true I could have made all these things a lot clearer, so I'll make another pass later on.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

-Mind explaining why not? I tried finding stuff about it but couldn't find much?
Well in the case of a robbery you rarely put the person who was robbed on trial, do you?
-Is she not?
Definition of legal blindness: "legal blindness that defined by law, usually, maximal visual acuity in the better eye after correction of 20/200 with a total diameter of the visual field in that eye of 20°."
So no, technically Lilly is legally blind - her visual acuity is NOT better than 20/200 - but the term usually refers to people with really bad eyesight like Kenji.
-Rin invited both Emi and Hisao on a double date.
Hmm. When Emi entered the restaurant she mentioned that she saw who invited them. I took that to mean that she didn't know before. I see now what you meant, but it is a bit ambiguous.
-It was already cut, She saw no point getting her leg up on the table
So what? Would you eat with your fingers if your food was already cut?
Almost all food in Japan is in easy-sized - or at least easily-parted - chunks so you can eat it with chopsticks. Still Rin always uses cutlery in the VN.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Well in the case of a robbery you rarely put the person who was robbed on trial, do you?
There was manslaughter involved originally, though I see what you're getting at now I took that out.
Mirage_GSM wrote: Definition of legal blindness: "legal blindness that defined by law, usually, maximal visual acuity in the better eye after correction of 20/200 with a total diameter of the visual field in that eye of 20°."
So no, technically Lilly is legally blind - her visual acuity is NOT better than 20/200 - but the term usually refers to people with really bad eyesight like Kenji.
Huh. Is there a word for the type of blindness lilly has, in that case?
Mirage_GSM wrote: So what? Would you eat with your fingers if your food was already cut?
Almost all food in Japan is in easy-sized - or at least easily-parted - chunks so you can eat it with chopsticks. Still Rin always uses cutlery in the VN.
Alright, you've got me there :lol:
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Uh... Simply "blindness"?
It was good enough for the VN...

Sore wa himitsu desu.
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

Writings of a mad-man:

Day 1:

Here I am in another hospital. I don't know how I got here, and anything the doctors have told me has gone in one ear and out the other. My ribs are broken and it hurts to breath, this is quite a different visit to the hospital this time around. My nose is filled with tubes and my arms are pin cushions for various IV lines, it's quite uncomfortable to say the least. While the nurse forks food into my mouth, I'm told I have some visitors. I give the go-ahead by nodding and the nurse clears away the meal before leaving the room.

"Hiya Hicchan!~" Misha screams as she bursts into the room, breaking the silence. She turns pale as she sees me, that's a great sign. Shizune enters shortly after and her face drops into a shocked expression, only to return to her usual analytical glare mere seconds afterwards. "Uhm... Shicchan says hi too." Misha adds before they pull over a pair of chairs and seat themselves next to my bed. I open my mouth to speak but find myself unable. Shizune catches on a fishes a notepad and pen from her bag before placing the pen in my left hand and holding up the notepad for me to write on. I look down at my dominant right hand and see that it's encased in a cast, suppose that's why she's crowned me a lefty.

"Hi. Hospital?" I write, just to make sure, I'm on god knows how many different drugs right now.

My handwriting is scratchy and barely ledgible, it takes both girls a half minute of deciphering to find out what I wrote. Both Shizune and Misha nod as they figure it out. I wave the pen and Shizune catches on, holding up the pad again.

"How bad?" Again, they crack the code before signing to each other for a while.

"Not bad!~" Misha exclaims, and I'm glad to find out that I can still glare and roll my eyes even though most of my head is bandaged up.

"Okaaay... you're stable!" I attempt a sigh and just hurt my ribs, suppose that's all the information I'll have for today.

"How long?" I scratch out on the pad after beckoning it over.

"You've been here for 3 days. The doctors said they don't know how long until you can come back to Yamaku though..." Misha speaks and I can't be bothered to decipher what's Shizune's and what's Misha's. As If reading my mind, a doctor arrives and begins to usher the girls from the room, before they go I manage to write out another sentence though.

"Thanks. Visitors are good." They nod and vow to make sure to tell everyone that they can visit, and the doctor goes about checking my legs, twisting them beyond what feels possible.

---

Day 2:

Today I'm feeling very lucid, though also in a lot more pain. My entire right side hurts, I didn't even notice it yesterday. I attempt to read some of the books that Shizune and Misha had left yesterday, but I just can't focus. Or hold the book open with one hand. Eventually, my boredom is relieved when Emi and Rin visit. Emi goes pale just as Misha had yesterday, while Rin simply studies the room. I take my pad and scrawl a message to Emi.

"Hi. You two okay?" She reads it and frowns.

"You're asking about us? You're the one that fell 4 stories, we should be asking you!" I raise my eyebrows and show as much surprise as I can. "Sorry, sorry... I was one of the first there. It shook me up." I attempt to write on the pad again, feeling lucid means I've gotten my sarcasm back.

"Shook me up 2. Can u tell what hapnd?" She reads it and her tone lightens a bit as she sees that I've not lost my emotions. She then goes into detail about how I was drunk and fell off the roof, bounced off a fire exit and landed in a bush, and how Kenji has been taken in by the police for questioning.

"News 2 me." I scrawl after she finishes her explanation. She frowns at the fact that I can't remember it, I must have hit my head. Next thing that hit's me is what Emi says though.

"Why Hisao?" She asks, almost pleading for an answer. I scrawl a question mark on the paper to show I have no clue what she's talking about. "Why did you go and get drunk with Kenji? Was it your last choice? You could have spend it with me and Rin, or the council, or even Rika and Saki, Suzu and Miki, ANYONE!" She raises her voice as she gets angrier. She takes a deep breath and continues in a lower tone. "Even Hanako said she'd spend the festival with you if you'd have asked..." I recall my memories from the library, and making her run off by accident. I feel a pang of 1 part anger and one part guilt burst through my veins, and quickly scribble another message.

"I fukd up 2 much. didnt run with u, didnt join council, made hanako run awy, almst killed saki." I sigh, I can do that today at least. She waits patiently while I finish my message. "Only reasn u all offerd is out of pity." I underline "pity" and slide the pad over to her, having released my anger/guilt cocktail onto the notepad. She looks it over and frowns more and more with each word.

"That's not true at all!" She stands, flinging her seat back and catching Rin's attention for once. "Running isn't for everyone, Neither is the student council! Saki survived and Hanako could give a damn if you scared her! You didn't do anything wrong and nobody thought you did either!" Her voice reverberates through my skull and makes me wince, please be a little quieter Emi. "Hisao you... you idiot!" She throws her top half over me and I wince as the IV's dig in. I feel my gown becoming wetter as Emi sobs into it. I place my hand on her back and look to Rin, who speaks up. "I'm just glad you didn't die." She shrugs, it's the most straight forward I've ever heard her be, it's weird, I almost wanted her to say something about clouds and butterflies.

---

Day 3:

The usual routine takes hold as the doctors do their checks and pump me full of morning medications. I hate to say that I've gotten used to it by now, but I have. Todays visitor is ushered in after the doctors are done.

"H-hi." Hanako mutters as she walks into the room. I can tell she feels tense, but I that could be either the fact that she's not comfortable around me, or comfortable in hospitals. Given her scars I'd say she's spent a long time in one. I manage a meek "Hello." but even that hurts to say, so I have to use my pad to ask If Lilly is here, and she shakes her head. That's a surprise to say the least. A big surprise.

"I-I w-w-wanted to b-bring you some b-b-books." She reaches into her backpack and pulls a couple of novels before placing them on the little desk attached to the bed.

"Thank you Hanako, thanks very much. I can't really read though." I observe the pad before showing it to her, my handwriting has gotten somewhat readable. She skims her eyes over it and then back to me, I lift my casted arm to show her what I mean.

"I t-though so... s-so..." She stutters out, It's quite cute actually.

"S-so I w-w-was going to a-a-a-... a-ask if you wanted m-me to... r-read to you?" My eyes open wide as I let the words sink in.

"That'd be very nice." And with that, she nods and pulls over a chair before grabbing a book. I spend at least 3 hours listening to Hanako read, and her stutter slowly vanish as she gets into the story herself. It's incredibly relaxing to have someone read to you, even if it's just because you've broken all the fingers on one hand. Once we reach the end of the book, Hanako checks her watch and then realizes where she is, and retreats right back into her self constructed shell. "Thanks." I manage to force myself to talk "That was... great..." I manage to squeak out.

"N-no problem." She nods as she places the book back onto the small shelf. I take another breath and attempt to force it out in the form of words. "Could you... come again... sometime?" I ask, and she goes bright red. "Reading... really... relaxing..." are the only words from my sentence that make it. She blushes again, but this time hides a tiny smile behind her hand.

"O-okay." She says and nods, almost as if convincing herself.

"Thanks." Is the last word that escapes me, most likely the last that will today given that my throat feels like sandpaper and gravel. With that she waves and leaves, and I'm left alone again.

---

Day 4:

I wake up at noon today, I slept better than I have for my whole stay. Maybe it was because of Hanako's reading; Seeing her come out of her shell like that is impressive, I can Imagine I'm one of few that have seen her that way. Either way, I dig into my lunch after dismissing the nurse, I can eat myself now. At least I hope I can. I finish and find out that today's mystery visitor is Mutou himself.

"Good afternoon, Mister Nakai." He places his briefcase by his chair as he sits.

"Hello." I feel speaking is a bit easier with a drink to hand, I should have thought of that before.

"I'm here to drop off some study books. I don't expect you to do any work, I'm just leaving them to fill the time."

"Thanks. Appreciate it." I offer in an attempt to seem actually thankful.

"Of course. I'd also like to let you know about Kenji-" I cut him off by waving my hand in the air.

"I'd rather not." And I really rather wouldn't.

"Right..." His awkward facial expressions will always be a mystery to me. "I hope to see you back in class soon." He says as he stands.

"Me too." I offer as I take a swig of orange juice and he makes his way out of the room. To be honest I'm not sure why I didn't want to hear about Kenji, but I think I made the right decision, If I heard anything I'd just end up thinking about that all day, keeping myself in the dark gets rid of that. The rest of the day is spent trying to wrestle with a novel and failing spectacularly, losing the fight with gravity and dropping it to the ground.

Might continue this, might not, who knows.
Last edited by swampie2 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfs

Post by danfs »

This One-shot is really good, made me think a little about how would the girls react to Hisao's falling off the roof, and it was pretty interesting to think from this point of view, I wouldn't mind at all if you decide to continue it :mrgreen:
"Life is not nice, it's limited. An imperfect blink of an eye on the infinite immensity of the universe"
Mirage_GSM

Re: swampie2's One-Shots: Writings of a mad-man [7/7/15]

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Heh, yes nice one-shot. Reminds me a bit of one of my favourite pieces here - Constant Companion - but it's different enough to be distinct.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Decadent Albatros

Post by Decadent Albatros »

I would love for a continuation of this! I haven't read many FFs about this topic, so seeing it being used is really something new, refreshing and - given how you wrote it - really cool! If you don't plan on continuing it, well that's too bad. Anyway, I really enjoyed it! I look forward to your next works.
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Heh, yes nice one-shot. Reminds me a bit of one of my favourite pieces here - Constant Companion - but it's different enough to be distinct.
This fic was what put the idea in my head actually, It's a great fic!
danfs wrote:This One-shot is really good, made me think a little about how would the girls react to Hisao's falling off the roof, and it was pretty interesting to think from this point of view, I wouldn't mind at all if you decide to continue it :mrgreen:
Decadent Albatros wrote:I would love for a continuation of this! I haven't read many FFs about this topic, so seeing it being used is really something new, refreshing and - given how you wrote it - really cool! If you don't plan on continuing it, well that's too bad. Anyway, I really enjoyed it! I look forward to your next works.
I may, it's gotten pretty good response ;)
swampie2

Re: Swampie's Stories: Writings of a mad-man: Part 2! [8/7/1

Post by swampie2 »

Writings of a mad-man: Part 2

Day 5:

In strides a confident looking man in a pinstripe suit with rough cut blonde hair and piercing red eyes, though upon looking said person up and down I realize that this is a woman, not a man.

"Nakai?" She asks, confirming my thoughts with her slightly higher register voice.

"Mhmm." I briefly consider if this is someone who is going to all kinds of questions about Kenji, but I'm sure the doctors would have stopped someone like that right?

"Yeah he's in here Lilly." She speaks before stepping from the room, and leading inside Lilly, whom I shared tea with once, I remember that much.

"Hisao?" Her voice seeks me out.

"Hey Lilly." Her shoulders sag as she hears me, I don't sound the best I've ever sounded. At least she doesn't have to see me bed bound and casted beyond recognition.

"Ah, Hisao. I'm glad you're okay." She speaks as her suited freind leads her to chair, while Lilly sits she speaks to me.

"I'm Akira, Lilly's sister, damn shame we had to meet like this though. I'll leave you two for a while, I'll be outside Lils." Lilly nods and Akira makes her way outside, presumably to phone someone and "talk business."

"How are you Hisao?" Lilly asks, her voice takes on a pensive edge as she speaks.

"I've been better, but I've been worse." I raise my hand and shake it slightly, as if to say "mehh" but then realize the futility in the action. "Today has been a good day, they made pork." I add, chuckling slightly before remembering my ribs in a less than pleasant reminder in the form of intense pain. She lightens up slightly at my joke, I'd hate to make anyone else feel bad for my falling off a building.

"I'm glad. Would you care for some tea?" I consider that thought for a second, a hot drink would be nice.

"Please." She hesitates for a second and I catch on after an awkward second. "Oh, sorry. There is a counter at your nine o clock, about 3 meters away."

"Thank you, Hisao." She stands and makes her way over the the counter, hands held in front of her every step of the way. She reaches into her bag and pulls out a small thermos among various tea making items. "We've all be very worried for you at Yamaku." I wince.

"I'm glad you guys care, but I hate getting other people down." I sigh dejectedly, I'm sure she heard as well.

"Don't worry about us Hisao, we're getting along well enough." She speaks in her usual chipper tone, before lowering her voice. "People were very shaken up at first, but we're all coping."

"Coping?" I mirror her words, and she turns her head while still preparing tea, it's quite a sight to see a girl deal with hot liquids without looking.

"A select few joined you in the ambulance. They were..." I almost want to egg her on, to just say it, but I can't bring myself to do it. "We're all fine, and concerned for you Hisao."

"Don't be, It's only broken bones."

"You make it sound like it's not a big deal." She giggles while walking back over to my bed, this time using her cane, and holding out a teacup, I take it into my hands and take a sip. It's not that cool surprisingly, and I can pick out the taste of orange. She returns to the counter and fetches her own cup before navigating to her chair again. I find myself staring, it's very strange to see someone move around a room so fluidly with their eyes closed, especially one they walked into less that a half hour ago.

"Is something wrong?" She queries over her tea.

"No, nothing. Can I ask you a question?"

"By all means?"

"Who was first there?" She frowns slightly at my returning to the topic, but I feel I have every right to know.

"Emi." She states bluntly, obviously wanted to get us away from this topic. "Shortly after Misha found you both and the nurse was alerted."

"Now could you do me a favor?" She perks up at this, tilting her head upwards to meet my gaze if her eyes were open.

"Of course Hisao."

"Take them both out to lunch for me. My wallet is on the table to your 2 o clock. Make sure they have a good time. She's very clearly taken aback my this request.

"Are you sure? Wouldn't you rather have the honor yourself?"

"I would, but I'm going to be here for a while. I am sure I would have died if they hadn't found me, I want to thank them for that." She thinks for a second.

"Very well." She sips at her tea. We make small talk and discuss the last assignments our classes had been given, we talk at length about Hanako, and how she opened up to me when she read.

"That's very... peculiar. You're one of few that has seen her that way, I've only experienced that once or twice in the time I've known her."

"Then I am honored. Make sure to let her know I said hi." I offer as I set down my teacup. "Will you be taking these with you?"

"No, I will pick them up tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" She carefully taps the side of her nose, holding a secret from me. With that, we say our goodbyes and I make sure to place the teacup on my night table in fear of dropping it like I had various books. As I drift of to sleep, I realize that Lilly hadn't taken any money from my wallet.

---

Day 6:

"Hisao?"

"Hello Lilly, how are you?"

"I'm quite well, thank you." Her voice is different today, it sounds more like the Lilly that I met in that tiny room that the Lilly I spoke to yesterday. "You can come in." She speaks behind her, and a huge smile grows on my face.

"PICNIC, PICNIC~" Misha chants as she makes her way into the room, shortly followed by Emi who is wincing due to loud speaker next to her. She lays her eyes upon me and smiles widely.

"They took all your tubes out!" She exclaims as she bolts over, inspecting my arms.

"Hey you two!" I grin even wider as the room fills with the voices of my saviors, this time they're happy though, not pale and blue like before. The quickly make their way over to me and we exchange hugs, at least as well as I can on the bed.

Lilly smiles as she holds forward a large picnic basket, and Misha and Emi quickly begin unloading things onto the table, then onto the side of the bed when we run out of space. Myself, Lilly, Emi and Misha spend the next hour chatting happily and eating various sweet snacks and savory treats. It's a nice feeling, knowing that I have friends even after I blew them off numerous times for more important books. Lilly makes some tea with the kettle I was provided after I asked fifty thousand times, and we all share it, savoring it's taste.

"I love lemon!" Emi squeals in delight after her first sip, and Misha mirrors her.

"It's the best right?~" Lilly smiles passively, glad that her tea is enjoyable.

"This is good Lilly, you'll have to teach me how to make this." I agree.

"You expect to learn all my secrets that easily?" She jokes, and we all share a laugh, and I once again get that feeling. That feeling that lies somewhere between yellow and pink, a warm feeling that feels great, no matter the circumstance. I'm happy. Emi and Misha get along well, both sharing a passion for food, while Lilly chimes in every now and then, but mostly staying passive. I can guess it's because of her un-ease with Misha, being that she's so close to Shizune, her mortal enemy. Either way, she seems to be enjoying it, so I'm glad.

"Thanks for visiting guys. Thanks for..." My words trail off as I feel emotion build in my throat "...thanks for pulling me out of that bush and... thanks for making me feel better." I tie my thoughts closed before I get too emotional.

"Of course silly!~ You don't have to thank us."

"Yeah, we didn't do that much." Emi adds.

"Yes you did, and I owe you both my life. As well as a good dinner once I'm outa' here." I chuckle, but it doesn't hurt this time. With that, we say our goodbyes and they return to Yamaku for their afternoon classes. They protested, but I insisted they follow their studies, no matter how alluring I am. I may have said it differently than that, but the message still got across. After that I'm starting to feel good again, for the last couple of days I've just been wallowing in self pity and sadness, as I had when I first wound up in hospital. The meal I shared with those three today really helped, I'm starting to feel like I can stop worrying for once. My thoughts are interrupted by a meek knock at the door, I open my eyes and see the long lavender hair of my reading partner.

"Hey Hanako." I greet and she moves inside before closing the door behind her.

"H-hi." She responds before lingering where she's stood.

"Are you okay?" She lingers a little to long on this to fool me.

"Y-yes." She makes her way over to the seat next to me and sits, and we stay silent for a couple moments before she cracks. "N-no... I'm..." She stops again. "Never mind, s-sorry."

"No, it's okay. I'll listen if you want to talk." She meets my eyes for a second before covering her face and shying away.

"I... I'm sorry."

"Huh? What for Hanako?"

"Y-you scared m-me.. and I thought..." Her words linger in the air like a stale scent.

"I don't follow."

"I t-thought t-t-that you... you... jumpedofftheroofbecauseofme." She rushes through the last part of her sentence.

"Woah, no!" I protest, "That's not true at all! What happened was an accident."

"Y-y-you looked so... b-b-broken when I r-ran... I..." She leans her head down so I can't see her face. Oh no, what if she's crying? I can't deal with crying girls.

"Hanako, listen to me." I snap her attention back to me before continuing. "I didn't jump from the roof, and what happened in the library was an accident as well, I invaded your person space, you had no reason to continue speaking to me if you felt un-easy. Don't blame yourself, and don't you dare feel guilty." She widens her eyes as I reach the last sentence, perhaps I hit a nerve. Hopefully I hit it in a good way.

"I... I... I... I'm so sorry!" She throws her top half forward, colliding with my chest quite hard. I take a second to check I'm okay before placing my hand on the back of her head as she weeps into my chest. "Hanako..." I murmor as I run my hand through her hair "I'm fine. I promise you that I did not jump from that roof, and I promise that my accident had nothing to do with our run in in the library." She seems to take these words to heart as she raises her head to look into my eyes, her face is a mess with tears and stray hairs, but I don't care. I keep my eyes locked on hers, and banish myself from looking at her scars, instead looking past them, as I should have this whole time. "I promise." She nods as she stares into her eyes. For a second it looks like she's about to kiss me, and I can see a debate raging behind her deep purple eyes. Eventually, one side wins and she places her self back onto her chair.

"W-would you l-like some tea then?" She offers.

"I'd love that Hanako."
Decadent Albatros

Post by Decadent Albatros »

Yup, as part 1, this was very enjoyable! Not only the picnic and the discussions, but also the way Hisao's character evolves (a little, but still) and how he manages to get his life back together! I also liked how Hanako managed to gather up the strength to visit him and well, be a friend! Plus nice addition to her believing that it was because of her that he fall down the building, it was a nice touch. Anyway, well done and keep up the good work!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hmm... I think if she really believed that Hisao jumped from the building because of her, she would never have found the courage to visit him... Other than that I agree.

Sore wa himitsu desu.