Similar games to Katawa Shoujo

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

HeMeido

Re: Similar games to Katawa Shoujo

Post by HeMeido »

Not at all similar to KS, but this pic sums Devil on the G-String up rather nicely. Minor spoilers if you scratch your head to really think about.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o167 ... aouGot.jpg

Curse you, useless spoiler tag and post width limit.
Synoptic

Post by Synoptic »

Warwick wrote:In addition to all that's been mentioned, I'd add Narcissu.
OMFG! HER EYES! OMFG!

Scared the SHIT outta me!
"...!"
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Rise from the grave, dear thread and sit among the lurking! :x

One game like Katawa Shoujo that has been recently released in English is "Family Project" (original title: Kazoku Keikaku). I have just finished playing it and it has been a nice, albeit tiring game. The storylines are quite long but many parts are repititions and you will find yourself skipping very often until you stumble upon unread text.
While not as intense in its drama as YMK or Crescendo (due to the fact that both these game hae a shorter in-game timespan) it has its moments. It can be compared to Figures of Happiness in its use of stereotypes (although they get far more background than normal stereotypical protagonists) and it is full of wacky Japanese humour which may annoy some people.

As for the art you could search some examples via google to see if it holds any appeal to you.

I'd say it is not as good as the Japanese (was consecutively voted best eroge of all times since it was made in 2001) make it out to be. And YMK or Crescendo would be better purchases for people who want erotic content and a driving dramatic story. Family project is very slow in its buildup of intensity but it delivers intensely emotional drama in the end; in a school report it would have gotten a B- (mostly due to spelling mistakes in the translation and the repitition) from me.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Commissar Mecha Milk

Post by Commissar Mecha Milk »

ANy reccommendations for VNs/eroge with happy endings? Call em a wimp, but I'm not a fan of sad ends, even 'happy-sad' ones. Damn it, I want happy endings! Teddy bear eating freshly spun cotton candy as he rides a pink unicorn under a rainbow in the middle of a sunny field happy!
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Commissar Mecha Milk wrote:ANy reccommendations for VNs/eroge with happy endings? Call em a wimp, but I'm not a fan of sad ends, even 'happy-sad' ones. Damn it, I want happy endings! Teddy bear eating freshly spun cotton candy as he rides a pink unicorn under a rainbow in the middle of a sunny field happy!
First and foremost I have to say that before a good ending comes a good drama /tragedy. Expect most of the recommendations here to have very sad elements in their story and characters!

1. After playing 4 routes in 'Ever 17' you can unlock a special route with a very happy ending.
2. 'Yume Miru Kusuri' has a girl named Mizuki and her good ending would probably appeal to you. It has been proven to cause mild cases of diabetes.
3. 'Figures of Happiness' contains a special alternative ending which may be suitable for you.
4. Some endings of 'Family Project' are quite happy.
5. All endings of Katawa Shoujo :wink:

Very good but not teeth melting endings:

Kane little sister - Kana's true ending
Most of the endings of Crescendo

That's all for now.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

TRUE ART IS ANGSTY

YMK and Kana may have ONE happy ending, but the others aren't exactly all sunshine and roses. It's like saying Fate/Stay Night is happy because of the UBW Good End, or Ciel's Good End makes all of Tsukihime a bright ray of light on a cloudy day.

Out of the ones I've played, perhaps Princess Waltz would work. The game trolls you halfway through, but overall it's a very hopeful story.
静音是买外夫
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Warwick wrote:
Out of the ones I've played, perhaps Princess Waltz would work. The game trolls you halfway through, but overall it's a very hopeful story.
I would have mentioned it were it not for the fact that it has a canon girl, meaning you do not get together with the girl you have chosen which is kind of frustrating. And a frustrating end is what Commissar Mecha Milk has specifically not asked for.

Yeah, Ciels good ending could probably be counted. Could Kohaku's ending be called happy? It has been a long time since I played Tsukihime and I remember it as quite good-natured.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Kohaku's pretty happy, too, unless you count yandere akiha, but she gets better. The final scene with Aoko might bring a few tears, too.
静音是买外夫
Commissar Mecha Milk

Post by Commissar Mecha Milk »

Holy fudge, thanks for all the reccomendations, guys! Now if only my torrent speed can get into the double digits... :(
ccdr

Post by ccdr »

Warwick wrote:TRUE ART IS ANGSTY

YMK and Kana may have ONE happy ending, but the others aren't exactly all sunshine and roses. It's like saying Fate/Stay Night is happy because of the UBW Good End, or Ciel's Good End makes all of Tsukihime a bright ray of light on a cloudy day.

F/SN and Tsukihime are have some fairy tale endings compared to some of the canon VN endings out there. Kana comes to mind.
She heard mermaids, so it follows that something is rotten in the state of Denmark. I have an everlasting cold, but luckily I’m terribly dishonest. I cling to that.
<NicolArmarfi> so yeah speed grapher was bad
<NicolArmarfi> damn i only watched it because i thought that it was about a mathematician
<NicolArmarfi> who graphs things incredibly fast
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Ever17, while not specifically a bishoujo game really, is a VN I cannot recommend enough. It makes such good use of the VN format for it's storytelling that the story could pretty much not possiby be told in any other way.
Embrodak

Post by Embrodak »

I tried 'Brass Restoration' Yesterday, tried for Yui. Got bad end (None). I found it more difficult than Katawa Shoujo.
I'm going to try Yumi Miru Kusuri next, and then Narcissu.

What should I expect? All I know is that Narcissu is depressing.
Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

Embrodak wrote:I tried 'Brass Restoration' Yesterday, tried for Yui. Got bad end (None). I found it more difficult than Katawa Shoujo.
I'm going to try Yumi Miru Kusuri next, and then Narcissu.

What should I expect? All I know is that Narcissu is depressing.
YMK has ALOT of sex and even more drama. Play Aeka last because it's the most dramatic and other routes seem tame in comparison. Keep your fapping hand taped to your chair to resist the urge.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Embrodak wrote: What should I expect? All I know is that Narcissu is depressing.
Expect to be moved to tears and I do not mean the manly variant here. So, use these handkerchiefs beside your computer without feeling guilty!

And expect to be thinking about euthanasia afterwards.
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Duo2Cuo wrote: YMK has ALOT of sex and even more drama. Play Aeka last because it's the most dramatic and other routes seem tame in comparison. Keep your fapping hand taped to your chair to resist the urge.
Yeah I played Aeka's first and could not finish any other route after that.