Hanako's Route...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Vegerunks

Hanako's Route...

Post by Vegerunks »

So I just discovered this game last week and I have now played Every route but Rin's.

I've always liked Shy girls and I thought Hanako was cute so she was the one I wanted to go for first, but I screwed up and got Emi's route first, which Hisao just annoyed me during that whole route. My 2nd playthrough I get to do Hanako's and after doing Lilly's I can say I was actually disappointed with her route mostly because you don't get good enough choice in her route though.

In Lilly's route you have Hanako actually progressively getting more social and able to socialize outside of Hisao and Lilly even if you can tell when they are in Hokkaido that she does like Hisao but she's happy that her friends are both happy.

Now you go over to her route. At first Hisao is a little over protective but then after the incident Misha causes it causes Hisao and Lilly both to pretty much baby her. This wouldn't be so bad if they eventually got better and realized she didn't need it. But Lilly somewhat does and Hisao decides to over do it no matter which of the 3 endings you do. I say there needs to be a True ending that actually let you choose not to overly protect Hanako, or at least to confess to her earlier so both Hisao and Hanako can get better. The bad ending actually tries to show case the possibility that he could have "helped" Hanako I mean when Hanako is first starting to get mad and asking why Hisao wants her to go for a walk if he had said that he just wants to be with her I think it might have actually ended up turning pretty good but instead he keeps telling her it's for her own good.

Now in the neutral ending Hisao pretty much screwed up showing that he had any interests in Hanako by not giving her time to herself granted if he did anything other than bring her food he might have been able to make more progress there I'm not sure on that one xD he was better off leaving her alone that die on the neutral ending.

In the good ending he screws it up in the morning after they wake up and that night when they were having sex. He didn't voice anything to show he wanted to be with her he just accepted her body when she offered it to him. He should have told her he loved her, or at least asked her to be his girlfriend in any of that time rather than letting her personality drag onto him and make it an awkward silence for like 16-18 hours. A long with all this because Hisao was so worried about protecting her she didn't really make much progress in socializing. She became a little more comfortable but for the most part she was still extremely nervous around most people. Now I'm not like so many people have been and misunderstanding the importance of them having sex I did understand she was trying to forcibly show her feelings to Hisao which is why it annoyed me with the ending more.

I wish there was an ending where Hisao either made a move on her while they were playing Pool or right after Lilly left and they went into the city. He was thinking about her that way often but he repeatedly was thinking down on her everytime he did as well thinking that she was too helpless/broken to need a boyfriend and that he would be taking advantage of a defenseless girl by confessing his feelings. I was thinking this the whole time I was doing her story it wasn't a hindsight thing or anything like that I honestly believed that he needed to make a move to show her that he does care and he's not just trying to be an older brother.
Taotao

Re: Hanako's Route...

Post by Taotao »

Welcome to the forums, man! Glad you took the time to join up, its always nice to have some fresh discussion.

Hanako's was the first route I got, accidentally. I'm in the same boat as you, I only just heard of this game two weeks ago maybe.
While I greatly enjoyed her arc, I couldn't help but feel a little exhausted after too long watching Hisao's silly overprotection of someone he knew so shortly.

I did find it odd that the entire route leads up to finally confessing your feelings. It seemed a little bit drawn out with the back and forth he had between being honest with himself and being overly protective of her even though that's not what she wanted.

Then I realized that Hisao treasures Hanako's feeling way more than his own. He was so infatuated with her that he gave up what he wanted for fear of scaring her off because he didn't see her as an equal until the very end.

In a way, he was so obnoxiously selfless that it actually turned into being selfish with his feelings, as in not sharing them verbally with the girl who obviously wants them. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that.

As for the sex, its pretty obvious neither of them felt good about it. Both thought it was what the other wanted while they didn't want it themselves. Hisao, though, is a teenage boy. Not excusing the borderline rape, but with someone who has feelings as complex and hard to read as Hanako's, you can't blame him for going for it. In his mind she wanted to, and if he denied he'd be alienating her for sure.

Your idea of a true ending, while it would definitely be so much easier for the readers and the characters, just isn't how Hisao worked in Hanako's arc. He was always too afraid of making a move in someone he thought was so fragile when he barely knew her.
He also only came to terms with his feelings for her in the park scene. Up until them, it could be pretty up in the air who he liked, Lilly or Hanako. I mean, he obviously liked Hanako more considering she was all he thought of, but he did seem to harbor something for Lilly, as well, who may or may not have been subtly reciprocating those feelings. It isn't unreasonable that, with some time, he could convince himself that a relationship with Hanako cant work, and that Lilly would be a much more "sensible" choice (of couse, this is all headcanon from a Lilly fanboy :wink:) These emotions going on with Hisao clouded his judgment, to be sure, which is why I feel he was so difficult in Hanako's route.

Its a nice thought, though, feel free to write something up yourself if you want to expand on it!

Overall I actually found the ending very heartwarming and adorable, but the route itself was a painfully realistic depiction of awkward high schoolers not knowing what to do with their feelings and eachother's.
Still, I regret doing Hanako and Lilly's route first, because now all the routes I've done since don't even phase me :cry:
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

In Lilly's route you have Hanako actually progressively getting more social and able to socialize outside of Hisao and Lilly even if you can tell when they are in Hokkaido that she does like Hisao but she's happy that her friends are both happy.
Well, Lilly's route is about Lilly. If Hanako exhibited the same problems there that she did in her own route, that would detract from Lilly's story, so having her "get better" was a trick to make the story work.
I say there needs to be a True ending that actually let you choose not to overly protect Hanako, or at least to confess to her earlier so both Hisao and Hanako can get better. ... I wish there was an ending where Hisao either made a move on her while they were playing Pool or right after Lilly left and they went into the city.
Do you really think the story would be better if Hisao had enough wisdom to understand Hanako perfectly, always say the right thing to her and breeze through to a good end without any glitches?
There are enough VNs (and fanfictions) with Mary Sue characters like that - and most of them are dead boring.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Vegerunks

Post by Vegerunks »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Well, Lilly's route is about Lilly. If Hanako exhibited the same problems there that she did in her own route, that would detract from Lilly's story, so having her "get better" was a trick to make the story work.
I say there needs to be a True ending that actually let you choose not to overly protect Hanako, or at least to confess to her earlier so both Hisao and Hanako can get better. ... I wish there was an ending where Hisao either made a move on her while they were playing Pool or right after Lilly left and they went into the city.
Do you really think the story would be better if Hisao had enough wisdom to understand Hanako perfectly, always say the right thing to her and breeze through to a good end without any glitches?
There are enough VNs (and fanfictions) with Mary Sue characters like that - and most of them are dead boring.

Lol yea I guess that's true it was more of just my desire for how it would have ended.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

You could always look into reading the fanfic sisterhood by guest poster. Many people (including myself) consider it to be a great continuation of hanako's good ending. If you do decide to read it, put several hours aside to read it due to length and feels. I would link to it but the laptop is having trouble so I'm posting from my tablet.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Brisingr wrote:You could always look into reading the fanfic sisterhood by guest poster. Many people (including myself) consider it to be a great continuation of hanako's good ending. If you do decide to read it, put several hours days aside to read it due to length and feels. I would link to it but the laptop is having trouble so I'm posting from my tablet.
Fixed that for you.
Change to "weeks" if you have job.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Vegerunks

Post by Vegerunks »

Brisingr wrote:You could always look into reading the fanfic sisterhood by guest poster. Many people (including myself) consider it to be a great continuation of hanako's good ending. If you do decide to read it, put several hours aside to read it due to length and feels. I would link to it but the laptop is having trouble so I'm posting from my tablet.
Thanks I'm honestly loving it so far spent about 2 hours and got to chapter 10 the got dragged into gaming xD