Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

dewelar

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

Post by dewelar »

Leaty wrote:
AntonSlavik020 wrote:It looks pretty cool, but it might be distracting. Thinking about it, I would probably prefer it without the flashing thumps.
Yeah, I wanted it to replicate the heartbeat effect from the VN, obviously, but it seems like that's pretty much impossible to do in text. At least, the way it is now, with three different thump speeds, doesn't work at all.

I deserve ridicule for trying to gild the lily like this. I edited it all to the slow thumps because I couldn't stand looking at it anymore.
Yeah, I have to agree here. I have a severe nystagmus in addition to being legally blind, and if there's any moving images on a page that I'm trying to read my eye gets drawn to it repeatedly. Not just distracting but causing me wicked headaches.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
strange desire

Post by strange desire »

Leaty wrote:I deserve ridicule for trying to gild the lily like this. I edited it all to the slow thumps because I couldn't stand looking at it anymore.
I think it's cool you tried something new. The forum medium offers some interesting possibilities, but it's hard to know how it'll look until you try. Plus, there's stuff like screen width and mobile users to think about.

I was curious, so I tried as well.

[example image, click to view]
Last edited by strange desire on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Oh, you changed your avatar. As someone who recognizes people on the forum based on their picture, I didn't recognize you initially. It may no longer be Maddie, but its still really cool. Who is it?
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Leaty wrote:Plus it would drive Dewelar crazy, and I would be the biggest bitch on the planet if I wrote a story about overcoming disability that was unreadable by the disabled.
*laughs* I do appreciate that. Just to clarify my limitations, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just one occurrence, because I could easily scroll it off the page quickly. That particular batch was just too highly clustered. Also, avatars don't bother me, because I can set the window size so that they're off the right edge of my screen. Otherwise, I probably would have come to Mahorfeus' house with an ax by now :D.

ETA: Oh, he doesn't have that dancing girl with all the flashing green and black circles anymore. Those of you who've been here a while know the one I mean.
Last edited by dewelar on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Leaty wrote:
AntonSlavik020 wrote:Oh, you changed your avatar. As someone who recognizes people on the forum based on their picture, I didn't recognize you initially. It may no longer be Maddie, but its still really cool. Who is it?
Wait, you recognized her? I thought I was the only person on these forums that read The Royal Trap. It's one of my favorite visual novels ever.
Its a visual novel by Hanako Games, of course I recognized her. I play every VN by her and Winter Wolves.
Leaty wrote: Anyway, as I said above, my avatar is Spider-Gwen ("Spider-Woman" in canon), a Marvel Comics superheroine. She's the Gwen Stacy from a universe where she was bitten by the radioactive spider instead of Peter Parker (who then became the Lizard out of envy for her and wound up getting killed.) So she's basically the Spider-Man equivalent of Iwanako in this fic.

Also, her title is amazing and I'm in love with her.
That sounds really cool. I love AUs like that.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

The flashing images were a nice idea, but it really doesn't work on the forums.
Apart from maybe necessitating an epillepsy warning the main difference between this and a VN is that there visual effects appear exactly timed with the event. Here they appear as soon as you scroll down so you see them two or three paragraphs before ou even get there, in effect creating an inadvertent spoiler :-)
In this case it would also ruin the effect of surprise Iwanoako feels when she notices Hanako, because the reader is no longer limited only to her point of view.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
brythain

Post by brythain »

Leaty wrote:Maybe the time I wasted on that will elucidate for somebody what Iwanako's supposed to look like.
See, after reading the last few bits of thread... I now think that Iwanako looks like Spider-Gwen but with black hair. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

I admit, I'm also thrown off by the change in avatar, mostly because my mental image of you was essentially Madeline. (No, I haven't read it, but I do know my visual novels...)

Also, I am my avatar. Physically and mentally.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Hacksorus

Post by Hacksorus »

I may have already commented something like this in one of the several month intervals between parts but I just want to say that I really like this and I'm happy to see it's still going strong.
Discord: Snowman#0476