Comedy: Kenji vs. Rin

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Comedy: Kenji vs. Rin

Post by guest »

As far as comedy value goes, who's your favorite? Kenji's apocalyptic ramblings or Rin's random rants? And what are your favorite lines?

Personally, in the long term, I've found I started to drift towards Rin more...she seems more "pleasantly weird" than Kenji but slightly more unpredictable, meaning she caught me off guard more often with an off-hand remark. Among my favourites were her introduction with the "problem must be in your pants"-line and her remark that looking at Hanako made her hungry.

P.s: This is probably unintended, but Kenji's first impression to me was that of a schizofrenic while Rin seemed to tiptoe the autistic spectrum most of the time she opened her mouth.
ZystraL

Re: Comedy: Kenji vs. Rin

Post by ZystraL »

"I'm having my period and I need some help regarding that. However, I don't feel that our relationship is yet on the level where I could trust you to pull my underwear down in the girls' toilets even if you offered"

was the single best section of text in Act 1.
I enjoy everything the devs hate. This includes and is not limited to: Pokemon, K-ON! and Lego.
Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

ZystraL wrote:"I'm having my period and I need some help regarding that. However, I don't feel that our relationship is yet on the level where I could trust you to pull my underwear down in the girls' toilets even if you offered"

was the single best section of text in Act 1.
This, although Kenji calling Lilly a "blind broad" had me laughing for a good while
Bara

Post by Bara »

Hmm, Kenji's humor has some shock value but it looses its edge quickly. Rin's ramblings are more like a mental puzzle that can keep you quietly occupied for a while deciphering them. Andrew "Dice" Clay = Kenji and George Carlin = Rin.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
darkblade986

Post by darkblade986 »

I tend to prefer Rin's 'ramblings' more than Kenji's as well. Rin's actually make sense at time (such as the period statement earlier), where as Kenji's is the fanatical paranoia ramblings that just sound ludicrous.

I would love to see one of the girls slap (and/or kick) Kenji's face if he made one of those ramblings in front of one of them. Out of the blue, Kenji pops up, starts rambling, and is promptly knocked unconscious by the very people he's paranoid of.
ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral »

A lot of things that Rin says are funny but I don't consider the period thing to be one of them. When she said that she was being serious. In a way it showed that when it was time to really be serious she could be.

but of course it being Rin its was random.

Post by Guest »

I would love to see one of the girls slap (and/or kick) Kenji's face if he made one of those ramblings in front of one of them. Out of the blue, Kenji pops up, starts rambling, and is promptly knocked unconscious by the very people he's paranoid of.
I would actually find it a lot funnier if one of the girls would decide to play along and mess with him that way. (well, Shizune is the only one I can see doing that)

Shizune: ...
Misha: Kenji-san! Shicchan wants you to know she's been collecting daily updates on your plans for some time now and will soon make her move against you. However, since she respects opponents as determined as yourself, she wants me to tell you that if you surrender now, she'll call off the assassins paid to dispose of you.
A lot of things that Rin says are funny but I don't consider the period thing to be one of them. When she said that she was being serious. In a way it showed that when it was time to really be serious she could be.
This. I think that line showed a side of Rin the player hadn't seen before and shows Rin in an interesting new light...it tells the player that despite her airheadedness, Rin was not stuck in her own little world like Kenji is. If the situation called for it, she could drop the philosophical stuff and be down-to-earth, if still inappropriately blunt. :)

That's not to say the line wasn't amusing to read. It was since it caught the player totally off-guard.
Exdi

Post by Exdi »

How could you guys forget this?
Emi - Helps me keep my girlish figure.
Rin - What would happen if you'd lose it? Would you become a man?
Rin: 1
Kenji: 0
Emi: -1
Not really a fan of plays on words. I perfer ones on stages.
Commissar Mecha Milk

Post by Commissar Mecha Milk »

Guest wrote: This. I think that line showed a side of Rin the player hadn't seen before and shows Rin in an interesting new light...it tells the player that despite her airheadedness, Rin was not stuck in her own little world like Kenji is. If the situation called for it, she could drop the philosophical stuff and be down-to-earth, if still inappropriately blunt. :)

That's not to say the line wasn't amusing to read. It was since it caught the player totally off-guard.
I agree; that line really comes into its own with Hisao's response, when he says that it's the first coherent response he's heard from her :lol:
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

Well, when Hisao was looking at the medicine list and we got that screen of a bunch of words appearing, erectile dysfunction was in that... so I'm not sure Rin's "maybe the problem is in your pants" line is just a joke... but yeah, I'd have to say that she's probably the funniest.
Akira

Post by Akira »

Please tell me the full game will have a conversation between Kenji and Rin at some point.
Seriously guys, you can't pass over such a great opportunity for comedy potential like that! :wink:
Bara

Post by Bara »

Akira wrote:Please tell me the full game will have a conversation between Kenji and Rin at some point.
Seriously guys, you can't pass over such a great opportunity for comedy potential like that! :wink:
With those two they might try to speak to the other but I just can't see much comedy in it. They would be like two radios tuned to different stations with nothing but a hash of noise coming through. It would take some serious writting to make that funny.

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Bara wrote:serious writting
Yep, never gonna happen.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Bara

Post by Bara »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Bara wrote:serious writting
Yep, never gonna happen.
Doh! I'm nabbed by the Speelin Poliz!! :oops:

Post by Guest »

"Like playing a chess with a supercomputer who does seemingly completely random moves as if to mock everything you know about chess."