what are the best quotes from the game?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nantes

Re: what are the best quotes from the game?

Post by Nantes »

Hisao: "Do you ever... regret that you can't see what things look like for yourself? It's just something I've been thinking about."
Lilly thinks carefully for a time.
Lilly: "Do you ever regret that you can't hear people whispering on the other side of a room?"

She has a very good point there! It got me thinking.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Nantes wrote:Hisao: "Do you ever... regret that you can't see what things look like for yourself? It's just something I've been thinking about."
Lilly thinks carefully for a time.
Lilly: "Do you ever regret that you can't hear people whispering on the other side of a room?"

She has a very good point there! It got me thinking.
I often regret that though...
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

I had thought the same thing when I went through Lilly's route. I immediately found myself thinking "Yeah, many times." and then Hisao goes on as if the only possible answer was no.

Maybe the analogy is just a little off, the point came across just fine :lol:
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I think the idea is that you don't really think about it most of the time. Yes, if two people are clearly whispering about you then you'll be interested, but most of the time you're in a decently large room and somebody whispers to somebody else, you probably don't really notice/care beyond a passing wondering at most. It just doesn't really matter.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Strongstache

Post by Strongstache »

If you want a better, if crazier, analogy, think about being able to see in four spatial dimensions.

Try as you might, you can't imagine that. You can grab the concept behind four dimensions, the math and physics involved, but you simply don't have the tools or prior experience to properly visualize such a thing.
Suddenly gaining the ability to see in four dimensions would be an extremely distressing experience, and irrevocably change the way you perceive your environment, for better or for worse.

This is the same with Lilly and sight. Well, except most other people can see, of course. She can likely grasp the physics behind light and colours, but imagine them less so. Being able to see would feel very strange or even painful to her, like in d2r's fic Vision.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Another thing too... I'm allergic to peanut butter, so people always say sorry and feel bad for me about it. To me though, it isn't a problem. It's poisonous. Regular people aren't bummed that they can't drink venom, and I'm not really bummed that I can't eat the thing that kills me upon contact, because it kills me upon contact.
brythain

Post by brythain »

One of the passages that I really found touching was toward the end of Shizune's route:
(Shizune, speaking to Hisao)

"... Like Lilly, for instance. She was the first person to join when I started trying to recruit people again after everyone else left, because they couldn't stand me, I guess."

(smiling)

"We managed to put together the last festival, and even ran a booth together at the last minute."

(looking a little sad)

"But I didn't like her because I thought she was selfish, always holding us up in order to tend to one friend of hers or another, and leaving Misha and I alone to sort out things involving the whole school by ourselves."

(... and a little upset)

"If there were any problem she was going through, she would leave us high and dry while she panicked over it, and wouldn't come back until it was solved. She would focus on it one hundred percent, and be too preoccupied to focus on any student council work! That was the worst, to me, that she could be so nice and still take so many people for granted. Why even join the Student Council, then? It seemed so shortsighted and selfish, don't you think?"

(... then her face changes, looks a bit resigned)

"But, it's actually me who's that way."
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
d2r

Post by d2r »

One of my personal favourite lines, slightly paraphrased (before you bite my head off for not quoting it exactly) was this:

"Isn't a realist just what a cynic calls himself?" - Rin Tezuka

EDIT:
Strongstache wrote:This is the same with Lilly and sight. Well, except most other people can see, of course. She can likely grasp the physics behind light and colours, but imagine them less so. Being able to see would feel very strange or even painful to her, like in d2r's fic Vision.
I'm flattered by the reference! :wink:
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

"Try as I might to picture this mystery sister, all I can think of is Lilly in a suit. And I can't imagine that not being attractive. Not at all. "

Mmmm.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Charmant wrote:"Try as I might to picture this mystery sister, all I can think of is Lilly in a suit. And I can't imagine that not being attractive. Not at all. "

Mmmm.
He's not exactly wrong. Akira? Woof. :wink:
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Eurobeatjester wrote:
Charmant wrote:"Try as I might to picture this mystery sister, all I can think of is Lilly in a suit. And I can't imagine that not being attractive. Not at all. "

Mmmm.
He's not exactly wrong. Akira? Woof. :wink:
Not wrong in the slightest.
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Hisao in Act 4 of Rin's path (Raison d'être) sums up what happens whenever I try to write fanfiction. Innocence starts playing at this point, making the scene wonderful.

"You know, when I read a good book or look at a starry sky or whatever, sometimes I too feel something…profound, like a…shoot I don’t know how to describe it. But the instant I try to put it into words I feel that I lose something, it doesn’t feel as real, as true as it did inside my head. It feels a bit phony."
Last edited by Rhodri on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Rhodri wrote:But the instant I try to put it into words I feel that I lose something, it doesn’t feel as real, as true as it did inside my head.
Having experienced a few times the scenario of something in my head being damn near impossible to adequately translate and tormenting myself for hours on end trying to put it to words, I can say that the feeling really sucks.
Elvin Kristofer

Post by Elvin Kristofer »

This one...
Kenji: "But, basically, when I hear a phone, I get nervous. It's my darkest secret. I have two theories on it: either I have some fear of receiving some undefined, ominous, life-altering doom call, or I was beaten with a phone in the past. Beaten so badly I can't remember it."
Hisao: "Beaten in the head."
Kenji: "Well, where else could I get beaten with a phone that would make me unable to remember it? The ass?"
"LOOK! A BAOZI FAIRY!"
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

Charmant wrote:
Rhodri wrote:But the instant I try to put it into words I feel that I lose something, it doesn’t feel as real, as true as it did inside my head.
Having experienced a few times the scenario of something in my head being damn near impossible to adequately translate and tormenting myself for hours on end trying to put it to words, I can say that the feeling really sucks.
A few times? This is my whole damned life :(