Anyone else hate Misha?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: Anyone else hate Misha?

Post by brythain »

Ryusashi wrote:
Charmant wrote:
Oddball wrote:...whether your particular interpretation of the word "comfort" matches the writers.
Which it should because it's made very obvious.
Subtext was important in that scene. If I hadnt been careful and saw that I would have messed up thinking what (probably) a lot thought. I like comforting but not in the way the subtext meant.
Let me introduce you to cultural context. :D [LINK] (Warning, might trigger unpleasant thoughts.)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Ryusashi

Post by Ryusashi »

brythain wrote: Let me introduce you to cultural context. :D [LINK] (Warning, might trigger unpleasant thoughts.)
I didn't know hisao was in the military. And idk how misha became a prostitute. Shoulda seem it coming.... but in all seriousness, thats a f***ed up thing to link. As most "comfort women" were sex slaves, I dont recall giving her a call randomly and banging.
"In order to understand, you must first understand how to understand. You can't know without knowing how you know. Same principle."
"Think about this; if I give you a lemon, is that life giving you lemons? Yes because I'm alive. But imagine what you can create with what life gives you. Now you have a weapon to shoot into peoples eyes, or make lemonade." Random quotes ive made
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

brythain wrote:Let me introduce you to cultural context. :D [LINK] (Warning, might trigger unpleasant thoughts.)
So Misha was asking Hisao to kidnap her and force her into sexual slavery for Kenji's army?
brythain

Post by brythain »

Charmant wrote:
brythain wrote:Let me introduce you to cultural context. :D [LINK] (Warning, might trigger unpleasant thoughts.)
So Misha was asking Hisao to kidnap her and force her into sexual slavery for Kenji's army?
I guess one interpretation was that she wanted to feel something that Shizune felt, but it made her feel dirty to be doing it that way.
As I said, it's a pretty unpleasant thing all round.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

brythain wrote:
Charmant wrote:
I guess one interpretation was that she wanted to feel something that Shizune felt, but it made her feel dirty to be doing it that way.
As I said, it's a pretty unpleasant thing all round.
Maybe her thinking was that Shizune's vag touched Hisao's wang so by proxy, she was hooking up with Shizune. :lol:
brythain

Post by brythain »

Charmant wrote:Maybe her thinking was that Shizune's vag touched Hisao's wang so by proxy, she was hooking up with Shizune. :lol:
Well, that's rather sad too, no? But if you want to explore all these plausible/possible psychological motivations, best turn to fan fiction...
Nantes

Post by Nantes »

Atario wrote:
Ryusashi wrote:1) the other half shizune. Thats it. How else is anyone going to understand the deaf chick if no one can hear her? (Sounds harsh but not everyone is going to try and learn sign language).
I have never known any deaf people who had or needed interpreters… 'course, it does help the story.
Shizune is not simply deaf, she is deaf AND mute. Granted, she could write to people and people write back to her, but having an interpreter around is much faster and less bothersome for both her and her interlocutors.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Nantes wrote:
Atario wrote:
Ryusashi wrote:1) the other half shizune. Thats it. How else is anyone going to understand the deaf chick if no one can hear her? (Sounds harsh but not everyone is going to try and learn sign language).
I have never known any deaf people who had or needed interpreters… 'course, it does help the story.
Shizune is not simply deaf, she is deaf AND mute. Granted, she could write to people and people write back to her, but having an interpreter around is much faster and less bothersome for both her and her interlocutors.
Aaaactually, Shizune makes an attempt to stifle noises she's making in the VN. Which implies she's mute by choice (would you want to try talking if you couldn't hear yourself?) Mute would imply she can't make any verbal noises.
So she's deaf and mute by choice, not deaf/mute.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
AlexKidd

Post by AlexKidd »

Steinherz wrote: Aaaactually, Shizune makes an attempt to stifle noises she's making in the VN. Which implies she's mute by choice (would you want to try talking if you couldn't hear yourself?) Mute would imply she can't make any verbal noises.
I think she is definitely mute, in her route she seems to laugh sometimes but no sounds come from her mouth and also seems aware of this fact because she covers her mouth when it happens. Hisao thought it was because of some shame she felt to laugh without laughing
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

brythain wrote:On the other hand, if you don't like it because of the scenery, do tell.
It's been well over a year since I played Shizune's route (the only one I've never replayed) so I can't remember all the gory details. I remember that Misha is more annoying in Shizune's route than Act One, and I remember that for their first time, Shizune arguably rapes Hisao and that, in general, Shizune acts like a cunt. I think she means well, but being a cunt isn't the way to go about it. Then there's the obvious one that even Shizune fanboys admit; the ending sucks. Those are the most specific details I can remember.

I remember feeling bored through most of her route, except during H-scenes. Even then, it was really just looking at pictures.

Rin isn't much better, but at least I got some feels on her route. I think it was simply my expectations that ruined Rin for me though.
Byakku

Post by Byakku »

AlexKidd wrote:
Steinherz wrote: Aaaactually, Shizune makes an attempt to stifle noises she's making in the VN. Which implies she's mute by choice (would you want to try talking if you couldn't hear yourself?) Mute would imply she can't make any verbal noises.
I think she is definitely mute, in her route she seems to laugh sometimes but no sounds come from her mouth and also seems aware of this fact because she covers her mouth when it happens. Hisao thought it was because of some shame she felt to laugh without laughing
She's definitely mute according to her official description:

"Strong willed and forceful, Shizune is definitely the leader type. She’s been the class rep, despite being deaf and mute, for as long as her class has had one, and generally takes charge in just about any situation she’s placed in. Shizune is known around the school as a fearsome taskmaster, and skilled manipulator, but also as a fair and just leader."
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Byakku wrote:
AlexKidd wrote:
She's definitely mute according to her official description:

"Strong willed and forceful, Shizune is definitely the leader type. She’s been the class rep, despite being deaf and mute, for as long as her class has had one, and generally takes charge in just about any situation she’s placed in. Shizune is known around the school as a fearsome taskmaster, and skilled manipulator, but also as a fair and just leader."
And yet she is shown to be able to make verbal noises in her own route. Which implies she's not completely mute. Muteness means you're unable to make any sound at all.
Ergo, she's deaf and mute by choice, not a deaf-mute.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Byakku

Post by Byakku »

Steinherz wrote:And yet she is shown to be able to make verbal noises in her own route. Which implies she's not completely mute. Muteness means you're unable to make any sound at all.
Ergo, she's deaf and mute by choice, not a deaf-mute.
Actually, most mute people can typically make verbal sounds. Mutism refers to the inability to produce speech due to issues with organs necessary for speech, not the inability to produce any sound at all. I used to have a classmate who was deaf-mute since birth, and yet she was able to make incoherent sounds from time to time, though it varies from case to case. It's probably more of a pride thing for Shizune, though. :wink:
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

Steinherz wrote:Ergo, she's deaf and mute by choice, not a deaf-mute.
To that end, I think I remember Jigoro saying something about her refusing to talk, no matter what he did. That implies that she is mute by choice. Jigoro may be a douche, but I don't think he's that much of a douche.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

BMFJack wrote:
Megumeru wrote:most of the time it takes multiple reads to actually understand Shizune and Misha duo as a whole.
Maybe for you. I thought they were pretty tranparent, and even guessed Misha's "secret" pretty early on.
If you're talking about 'that', then you just glazed the tip of the ice, nothing more. I'd link you to one of the discussion board here that already discussed and unravelled almost every aspect of the route by the more culturally savvy...if I can find which thread it is (there's about 4-5 of them)
BMFJack wrote:
Megumeru wrote:nympho
For the record, she has a healthy adolescent sex drive.
We use a different word than that over here, which if used in this board might rustle a lot more jimmies. Nympho is pretty tame.

It is mentioned that Shizune is mute by choice. One thing I learned about deafness is how difficult it is for them to learn about speech since you can't perceive the difference in tone and pronunciation. It was mentioned thaf she was deaf by choice, and I believe that reason was justified.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story