Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shintai

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Shintai »

Steinherz wrote: Beware. Nasu's writing for the H-scenes is notoriously bad Mollusks? Really?
At least he's aware, I don't remember which one specifically but I remember in an interview Nasu saying he doesn't know how to write them. In Fate/Hollow Ataraxia he just got someone else to write them and after that with Mahoyo he just didn't bother with them at all. Hopefully in the Tsukihime remake he keeps the sex scenes in and just uses the same tact he did with F/HA.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

F/HA had pretty good H-Scenes IMO, although it was terribly obvious it wasnt nasu.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Shintai wrote:At least he's aware, I don't remember which one specifically but I remember in an interview Nasu saying he doesn't know how to write them. In Fate/Hollow Ataraxia he just got someone else to write them and after that with Mahoyo he just didn't bother with them at all.
There's no romance in Mahoyo, period.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

Vempele wrote:
Shintai wrote:At least he's aware, I don't remember which one specifically but I remember in an interview Nasu saying he doesn't know how to write them. In Fate/Hollow Ataraxia he just got someone else to write them and after that with Mahoyo he just didn't bother with them at all.
Yeah I know it doesn't, I probably should have clarified that. I remember Nasu saying that the main character would make for a terrible girlfriend anyways, that might be a slight jab at himself, haha.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Shintai wrote:
Vempele wrote:
Yeah I know it doesn't, I probably should have clarified that. I remember Nasu saying that the main character would make for a terrible girlfriend anyways, that might be a slight jab at himself, haha.
Really? I though Aoko would be a pretty good girlfriend.
I mean shes hot, got a nice personality, and has the ability to shift through time (Fifth magic best magic).

Vempele

Post by Vempele »

"Don't misunderstand, I'm not saving your life today because I like you, I'm doing it because I'm going to kill you tomorrow!"

Is that more Tsundere or Yandere, do you think?

VNDB tags her as "kind". Does she, like, mellow way down for Tsukihime?
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Vempele wrote:"Don't misunderstand, I'm not saving your life today because I like you, I'm doing it because I'm going to kill you tomorrow!"

Well if you count giving magic glasses to a kid to seal his mystic eyes of death perception so he dosent go insane from seeing death everywhere mellowing down, yeah sure.

But thats all she does in Tsukihime. Shes only really got a large part in Mahoyo. But I stand by my point, I geniuenly like her in Mahoyo.

azumeow

Post by azumeow »

Vempele wrote:"Don't misunderstand, I'm not saving your life today because I like you, I'm doing it because I'm going to kill you tomorrow!"

Also a decent enough description for Tohsaka. God, that woman is so adorable when she lets out any of the dere though, so it's like 3000% worth it.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

CoffeeDrive wrote:

Well if you count giving magic glasses to a kid to seal his mystic eyes of death perception so he dosent go insane from seeing death everywhere mellowing down, yeah sure.

But thats all she does in Tsukihime. Shes only really got a large part in Mahoyo. But I stand by my point, I geniuenly like her in Mahoyo.
I don't think Nasu was implying she was unlikeable, just not date material.
OremLK

Post by OremLK »

I just finished Planetarian... too many feels... FML
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

>Be me this morning
>Have a sudden pang of KS nostalgia
>For some reason decide to try something similar, but different
>Download
Digital: A Love Story

Huh, this is an interesting set of mechanics for a visual novel, (since you control it by using an old school dial-up system) and it's really immersive. Not much going on, just talking to some chick on a random early Internet BBS, kinda dull...

>Sink two hours of life into D:ALS
>Heart is heavy as fuck
>Le feels

Gah, there's just no winning with VNs, is there? Either you're happy and it hurts because you're nostalgic, (Katawa Shoujo, Ripples, Yandere-Chan, Phoenix Wright to some extent) or it's hurts because it's tragic and you're sad, (Tears, Seeds, Planetarium) and there doesn't seem to be much of an in-between.

That being said, this was a very unique experience, and one that I would gladly take again. If you're in the mood for a VN with a unique interface, you have a couple of hours to kill and you're okay with going on a bit of an unexpected emotional roller coaster, I would highly recommend reading this, because it's most likely unlike anything you've ever seen before, and you'll likely enjoy it.

As always, I recommend using your own real life name when it asks you to at the beginning for some extra emotional punch during certain scenes.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

Spunky, you should try out "Analogue: A Hate Story" it's the sequel and it's better, in my opnion.
brythain

Post by brythain »

BMFJack wrote:Spunky, you should try out "Analogue: A Hate Story" it's the sequel and it's better, in my opnion.
Yes! Excellent story, and there's even a sequel where you get to bake a cake. Mine was pretty ugly. ;D

Edit: Oh no, Jack... there's even a connection between that nearly-cooked terminology thread and this one...
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

BMFJack wrote:Spunky, you should try out "Analogue: A Hate Story" it's the sequel and it's better, in my opnion.
brythain wrote:
Yes! Excellent story, and there's even a sequel where you get to bake a cake. Mine was pretty ugly. ;D
Thirding this, I just bought the games on Steam when they were on sale this weekend, and I love them. I've finished A Hate Story, and I completed Hyun-ae's route in Hate Plus, and started Mute's yesterday.

And Brythain, I doubt your cake was much worse than mine. :)
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
brythain

Post by brythain »

FelOnyx wrote:And Brythain, I doubt your cake was much worse than mine. :)
It is with great and sorrowful regret that I inform you of my crime: I mixed ingredients into a paste, shoved them into a mug, and microwaved till it puffed up. Cake. Didn't taste bad. Looked like a Hiroshima joke of the type that should not see the light of day. I bow in contrition.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)