Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:
Charmant wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't want a collection of busts of my old classmates in my house. Kinda seems creepy. o.O
I'm sure you wouldn't mind collecting Lilly's bust. :D
L-lewd. :oops:
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

brythain wrote:
Charmant wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't want a collection of busts of my old classmates in my house. Kinda seems creepy. o.O
I'd polish it up real nice. :mrgreen:
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Charmant wrote:
brythain wrote:
I'd polish it up real nice. :mrgreen:
Drill a hole in th-

Okay, too far.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Advanced Game Theory was a fun scene.

In all honesty, (I can't believe I'm saying this) but so far I like Shizune's route a lot more than Rin's. I still like Rin a ton 'cuz she's my homie, but her route is ridiculously frustrating from start to finish, and even in her good end it doesn't seem like her and Hisao make anything close to an ideal pair... which is kind of the point, but that doesn't make it any easier to read.

With Shizune's route, you get about as many subtleties, and although there aren't as many "feels" the relationship just seems more natural and healthy. I didn't think it was possible, but in that scene where Hisao picks up Kenji's mail, Shizune (almost) reaches Emi levels of playful, and it's a joy to read in addition to being interesting to think about.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

SpunkySix wrote:Advanced Game Theory was a fun scene.

In all honesty, (I can't believe I'm saying this) but so far I like Shizune's route a lot more than Rin's. I still like Rin a ton 'cuz she's my homie, but her route is ridiculously frustrating from start to finish, and even in her good end it doesn't seem like her and Hisao make anything close to an ideal pair... which is kind of the point, but that doesn't make it any easier to read.

With Shizune's route, you get about as many subtleties, and although there aren't as many "feels" the relationship just seems more natural and healthy. I didn't think it was possible, but in that scene where Hisao picks up Kenji's mail, Shizune (almost) reaches Emi levels of playful, and it's a joy to read in addition to being interesting to think about.
I'd take frustrating and emotionally exhausting over boring and and soulless, but that's just me.

(I'm not sure if soulless is the proper term to describe Shizune's route, but I couldn't think of a better second adjective, so I'm just going to stick with that)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

KeiichiO wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Advanced Game Theory was a fun scene.

I'd take frustrating and emotionally exhausting over boring and and soulless, but that's just me.

(I'm not sure if soulless is the proper term to describe Shizune's route, but I couldn't think of a better second adjective, so I'm just going to stick with that)
See... I wouldn't even say it's that, though. At least with Shizune, it's clear that he actually really likes her and that he knows why. With Rin, it seems like he admires her, but doesn't really like her all that much and doesn't even know why he sticks with her other than the fact that he feels an obligation to. He certainly isn't a whole lot healthier by the end of her path, whereas in Shizune's he's already mostly recovered from his depression and I'm barely even halfway through Act 2.
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:See... I wouldn't even say it's that, though. At least with Shizune, it's clear that he actually really likes her and that he knows why. With Rin, it seems like he admires her, but doesn't really like her all that much and doesn't even know why he sticks with her other than the fact that he feels an obligation to. He certainly isn't a whole lot healthier by the end of her path, whereas in Shizune's he's already mostly recovered from his depression and I'm barely even halfway through Act 2.
Most people don't appreciate being 'railroaded' because of that absurd preoccupation with 'choice' in a visual novel. But I enjoyed Shizune's arc a lot because it provides a far more complete view (even if deliberately oblique at times) of the character and what Hisao's way forward could be.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Everyone else is still talking about their favourite routes, and I'm just here laughing at how hilarious a couple Hisao and Miki are in the first five chapters of Hisao's Branch of Suriko's little fanfic.

Also I think I've fallen in love with Suzu help
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
brythain

Post by brythain »

ParagonTerminus wrote:Everyone else is still talking about their favourite routes, and I'm just here laughing at how hilarious a couple Hisao and Miki are in the first five chapters of Hisao's Branch of Suriko's little fanfic.

They go at it like horny rabbits. It's very amusing.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

SpunkySix wrote: In all honesty, (I can't believe I'm saying this) but so far I like Shizune's route a lot more than Rin's. I still like Rin a ton 'cuz she's my homie, but her route is ridiculously frustrating from start to finish, and even in her good end it doesn't seem like her and Hisao make anything close to an ideal pair... which is kind of the point, but that doesn't make it any easier to read.
I can see that. I'm more or less on the Rin side of things in that respect, but I suppose I don't like Shizune for purely magnetic reasons. She is rather similar to me, but very competitive and more forward. Shizune's route also suffered from being a route I had to "work" through, whereas others, such as Lilly and Hanako, were done simply because I was interested in them. Rin, on the other hand, sucked me into her route on my second route, but I wanted to do Lilly, then I got an ideal play order in my head, and stuck to it.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

ParagonTerminus wrote: Also I think I've fallen in love with Suzu help
Just embrace it.
But don't embrace her. Because you can't. Because she's not real.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
scorptatious

Post by scorptatious »

So, I've been reading through the fanfic "Sisterhood"

A drunken Hanako and Hisao silently grinding on each other while a completely oblivious Lilly struggling somewhat playing the Cello right in front of them has got to be one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

:lol:
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

FelOnyx wrote:
ParagonTerminus wrote: Also I think I've fallen in love with Suzu help
Just embrace it.
But don't embrace her. Because you can't. Because she's not real.
The struggle is, though.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:
ParagonTerminus wrote:Everyone else is still talking about their favourite routes, and I'm just here laughing at how hilarious a couple Hisao and Miki are in the first five chapters of Hisao's Branch of Suriko's little fanfic.

So it's literally Emi's route, then?
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:
brythain wrote:

So it's literally Emi's route, then?
Laterally, maybe. But with an extra limb or two (rounding up).