Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Re: Ask!

Post by Suriko »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:Ah, so you mean Red Velvet was actually written with Hanako's club scene in mind rather than the dinner date with Lilly? Interesting. :) It seems more people associate it with the latter.

Do you remember which scene was written first? For some reason I've always assumed that the principal writing for Lilly was finished before you took over the reigns of writing Hanako.
You assume correctly.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Suriko wrote:Since we're airing dirty laundry about the H-scenes:

Lilly and Hanako had a really badly written yuri daydream scene, part of which can be found on the development blog.
Lilly jumping Hisao's bones in the shower was planned and written, but cut. 2mny sex scenes.
The oral sex thing was between Emi path and Shizune path (Lilly path never had oral planned). As with the previous scene, it was written for Shizune path but cut.
Related to the above: I originally planned a light bondage scene with Hisao's hands tied, and A22 had vague ideas of a blindfold scene. We switched. The light bondage scene (where Hisao's on the chair) in the final Shizune path was originally oral sex, before it got changed to what it is now.
I wrote the blindfold scene expecting people to rage at having a written H-scene with no CG. Whelp.
The anal sex scene in Emi path took some debate to get in. By which I mean every writer dogpiling Hive into doing it.
Is there any chance that the scenes that were written but cut could be released? I'm interested not just for the obvious reasons, but as an author and going through the files that shall not be named it's fascinating to see the creative process unfold from concept to the finished product.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

No. They were cut for a reason. Plus it would actually require a degree of effort to resurrect them, unless the writers held on to their personal copies. Spoilers, like goggles, do nothing. >:(

And learning from mistakes mostly really works only if they're mistakes you personally make.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Damn. That idea of Lilly jumping Hisao in the shower... :fans self:

I wouldn't call rewrites mistakes, just multi-step processes.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Atario

Post by Atario »

Silentcook wrote:learning from mistakes mostly really works only if they're mistakes you personally make.
If this were true, civilization would never have advanced past cave-dwelling.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

There's been a small resurgence of interest in Molly Kapur lately (at least on the KS subreddit there has) and I was wondering if any of the writers can remember deciding anything about that character other than that she is Indian and has prosthetic legs? For a character that never speaks there is a decent amount of art of her on the Mishimmie, going back to when the novel was still in development (weee in particular seems fond of her). Is there anything else to know about Molly, and did she ever have any parts in any scenes, written or planned? I don't expect there is/was, but nonetheless, thank you in advance for your answer.
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Molly is not a KS character and so wasn't intended or even allowed to have any scenes or anything. She's from another 4LS project that never materialized, the artists just included her in the background of a few KS scenes as an inside joke. Also, she's Pakistani iirc.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Valjean Lafitte

Thanks for the quick answer! I didn't know that she was originally created for another project. Cool. :)
Aura wrote:. Also, she's Pakistani iirc.
Are you sure? :shock: Everyone is under the impression she is Indian, because, well..a lot of the information us fans have on the "background characters" of 3-3 seems to have originated from this image, uploaded by Suriko four years ago. Sure it mentions Lelouch Lameperouge, but otherwise most of the info that the Katawa Shoujo Wiki has on 3-3 comes from that image, and its probably been used as a quick fact-check for God knows how many fanfics. Generally speaking, it's taken for granted to be accurate.

If her ethnicity was changed to Pakistani/was never Indian to begin with, you may have just cast doubt on the only source document we have for info on most of these background characters (I think).
"Everything."
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

I'm not 100% sure, that's why I said "iirc". I wasn't developing the project Molly is from and don't think I have any of its design files.

But let me just say that most of these characters were never actually discussed during game development and any sort of fanon folk wisdom about them, including that picture, is dubious at the very least. It was pretty flippantly made up by Suriko, with barely any consultation with anyone else. I'm not trying to undermine your fan wiki or Suriko's picture, it's surely fine to treat these as canon since there's nothing to contradict it and likely never will be. Just understand that with a few exceptions, I could change all of those names and descriptions arbitrarily and the new picture would be as informative and correct as this one. Also, if there ever was a situation where we'd definitely need to publish definitive information of the 3-3 class, I'd have the entire CG redrawn with new designs and characters in it worked out by multiple staff writers. Delta's blog post about how we approach extranarrative information is an evergreen treatment of the topic.

Only if we had made some actual development on the characters in 3-3's classroom CG and codified what they are inside the KS's story itself, you could say that there's information that can be "correct" or "wrong" in that picture. For a couple of the characters that did happen, but for example Suzu is a complete blank for me despite being very popular in the fandom.

There's a good counterargument to this, which some might agree with. Namely, that since Suriko made the picture and made these decisions, they are canon and right by virtue of being decided by him. Or that since the information has entered popular consciousness, it's too late/unnecessary to change it. Choose to believe whatever you want, it's fine either way.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Valjean Lafitte

Aura wrote:I'm not 100% sure, that's why I said "iirc". I wasn't developing the project Molly is from and don't think I have any of its design files.

But let me just say that most of these characters were never actually discussed during game development and any sort of fanon folk wisdom about them, including that picture, is dubious at the very least. It was pretty flippantly made up by Suriko, with barely any consultation with anyone else. I'm not trying to undermine your fan wiki or Suriko's picture, it's surely fine to treat these as canon since there's nothing to contradict it and likely never will be. Just understand that with a few exceptions, I could change all of those names and descriptions arbitrarily and the new picture would be as informative and correct as this one. Also, if there ever was a situation where we'd definitely need to publish definitive information of the 3-3 class, I'd have the entire CG redrawn with new designs and characters in it worked out by multiple staff writers. Delta's blog post about how we approach extranarrative information is an evergreen treatment of the topic.

Only if we had made some actual development on the characters in 3-3's classroom CG and codified what they are inside the KS's story itself, you could say that there's information that can be "correct" or "wrong" in that picture. For a couple of the characters that did happen, but for example Suzu is a complete blank for me despite being very popular in the fandom.

There's a good counterargument to this, which some might agree with. Namely, that since Suriko made the picture and made these decisions, they are canon and right by virtue of being decided by him. Or that since the information has entered popular consciousness, it's noo late/unnecessary to change it. Choose to believe whatever you want, it's fine either way.
That blog post by delta was quite informative; I feel that I definitely have a better understanding now of how 4LS approaches canon, so thanks sharing it with me.

I can't speak for anyone else, but in the event of you ever wanting to publish definitive information of the 3-3 class I think I would be fine if you changed Molly, Suzu, or any of the other characters that have been given a life of their own by the fandom, even replacing or entirely removing some of them. At the end of the day, Katawa Shoujo is 4LS' to play with and do as much or little with as you guys want, and as a fan I'm cool with that. That being said, I think for now--unless you Suriko, or one of the other creative forces say anything to contradict it--I will continue to believe in the canonicity of that image, though I guess my definition of canon isn't as tight as it was before reading that blog post.
"Everything."
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

(My mail didn't notify me so I missed the H-scene discussion. Just wanted to add that Hisao makes a quick reference to a possible BJ in Emi's path but the train of thought gets cut by some interruption.)
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
SordidEuphemism

Post by SordidEuphemism »

Copyright/etc question here. Were I to use Blue123's transcription of the Sarabande for music box for an actual music box, would that be permissible, so long as it was not for resale?
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

SordidEuphemism wrote:Copyright/etc question here. Were I to use Blue123's transcription of the Sarabande for music box for an actual music box, would that be permissible, so long as it was not for resale?
As long as you're not selling it then yes, of course it's ok.
Mythic

Post by Mythic »

Hey guys! I really admire NicolArmafi's work and Ive been wondering that for the 3rd anniversary of Katawa Shoujo, that I release the original OST that was in the early versions, aptly titled
"Ephemeral Box of Sound". Obviously its free and I even gave proper credit, so is that all right?
Vidi, vici, veni.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

The OST has long been available for download here. So I'm confused about what you mean by "release". Could you clarify further?
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.