Let's Dub Katawa Shoujo!

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Rhuze

Let's Dub Katawa Shoujo!

Post by Rhuze »

Hello all!

I am a member of The Let's Dub Project, a dubbing group onYouTube, and I thought this might be a good place to announce that we have just begun a full dub of Katawa Shoujo!

We will be voicing all scenes and all routes, beginning with Emi. We're big fans of KS and are hoping to do it justice. Episodes will be released weekly. Please check it out, if you'd like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=larpwoeNqeI
Tyrael

Re: Let's Dub Katawa Shoujo!

Post by Tyrael »

Heh, this makes me want to replay KS again

Great job so far!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Rhuze wrote:Hello all!

I am a member of The Let's Dub Project, a dubbing group onYouTube, and I thought this might be a good place to announce that we have just begun a full dub of Katawa Shoujo!

We will be voicing all scenes and all routes, beginning with Emi. We're big fans of KS and are hoping to do it justice. Episodes will be released weekly. Please check it out, if you'd like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=larpwoeNqeI
You realize you need permission from the developers to do this, right?
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Rhuze

Post by Rhuze »

It's a non-profit fan work, like any other fic or let's play. We claim ownership to nothing but our voices and link back to the game. Thank you for your concern, though. I'll bring it up with my director. :D
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Rhuze wrote:
It's a non-profit fan work, like any other fic or let's play. We claim ownership to nothing but our voices and link back to the game. Thank you for your concern, though. I'll bring it up with my director. :D
*nods* I understand this. I'm just giving you fair warning. My understanding is that dubbing the game constitutes modification of the work, which is not allowed under the game's license. The devs have not taken too kindly to such use before.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

We don't allow modifying KS. This is not modifying the distribution, they're playing a video of it on Youtube and talking over that, essentially no different from a Let's Play or whatever. There's no problem.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Hrm. Sorry, my mistake. Carry on, then! :D
GrandmasterSexay

Post by GrandmasterSexay »

I've always had an interest in these dubbing projects, either participating or listening. I have to say it's one of the better Hisao's I've heard in a while! Good job on it so far. I look forward to the more emotionally packed scenes.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Oh man, Seems really great!
I've always imagined voices for the characters.
My name may be "Gravy", but that doesn't mean I like gravy.
I have Narcolepsy.

Favorites in order: Rin, Suzu, Emi, Lilly, Hanako,Mishaha!, Shizune
minimike96

Post by minimike96 »

You should talk to the people at http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=3&t= ... 43#p220443

I know they were trying to do something similar so maybe you can let them help :3

That one guy who likes Shizune more than the others.
Shizune>>Emi>Rin≥Misha>Hanako>Lily

ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Oh god this is beautiful. Good job.

My only complaint is that Misha sounds more insane than Kenji, which is wrong.

But hey, can't wait to hear the voice for Hanako.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Looking forward to hearing more voices... hopefully this becomes the Seiyu that never was. It shows promise.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

I checked this out a while back and remember this Misha being better than Katawa Seiyu's Misha, but that doesn't really mean much. The Hisao was really, really good. I don't remember what I thought about anyone else and I don't have time to listen again right now - be warned that I'm going to be extremely critical of my favorite character though ;)

Edit - Okay, so I gave it another listen and I forgot how good the Hisao actually is. Professional level voice actor, that one.

It's a little annoying that everyone strays from the script sometimes, but I think I can deal with that as it's usually minor.

Obligatory "Shizune is spot on - best VA 2015"

The Misha is good, but there's no emotion. It sounds like she's acting, hollow, empty, etc. It's the opposite of the Hisao, it seems like he puts a great deal of emotion and care into every line. I guess a small part of why I'm not a fan of this Misha is the speed and consistency with which she speaks; it's mentioned that Misha's tone changes every couple of words.

Here's where I get critical. The Nurse is just plain bad. His inflections are wildly all over the place, his tone doesn't seem to fit the tone of the scene when he's not being monotonous, and he kind of slurs or mumbles sometimes like he's trying to talk too fast or something. Sometimes his tone changes so dramatically and so quickly that I almost think it was bad editing.

Kenji reminds me of Raiden (From MGS2) in that his voice acting seems wonky. In Kenji's case, this means he sounds too normal. I probably shouldn't complain that he talks more slowly than I expected since that may be just me. I've always thought of Kenji as very intelligent, but insane. The actual voice itself is very fitting. One line in particular sticks out though, the "Nevermind, it doesn't matter." Brilliant execution.

Hisao's parents are pretty good, but they only have a few lines so it's hard to tell.

All in all it's not bad. Misha's not terribly important and the Nurse rarely appears anyway (Except in Emi's route of course) so it's a tentative thumbs up for now. The hilarious thing is that despite being "three episodes" in, none of the main girls (who have a voice actor) have appeared yet. I think the Hisao is the strongest person in the cast by leaps and bounds, and given that he's the main character that bodes very well for the future of this project.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

BMFJack wrote:this Misha being better than Katawa Seiyu's Misha, but that doesn't really mean much.
Don't you dare talk shit about Lillypichu. :evil:
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"