Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SpunkySix »

BMFJack wrote:All I can really say about Lilly's route is get ready to board the feels train, bro.

And good luck.
Well, thank you.

For now, I just officially finished the fair with Shizune and have entered her Act 2. I want to give the person who made that title card props, because it's hilarious. Despite not having a romantic connection with either of the girls like I *may* have for another one, I have to say that this route even this early is shedding a lot more light on the pair of them as good people.

I already like both of them better- which isn't to say I didn't like them, because I definitely did, it's just that spending more time with Shizune especially makes it clearer that her harsh, mischievous mannerisms have really sweet intentions behind them.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

IMO Shizune is an easily misunderstood character. She's very harsh and demanding, but only because she actually cares. Although as you go through her route you'll see that it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

Personally, I've never understood the Misha obsession. I've always considered Misha obnoxious, although she does have good intentions. I don't dislike Misha, in fact Shiina Mikado is one of the characters I positively like, but I probably couldn't be friends with her if I were in Hisao's position.

As far as Shizune's route goes, I don't think there are any platforms for the feels train in that area. Sorry bro.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

BMFJack wrote:As far as Shizune's route goes, I don't think there are any platforms for the feels train in that area. Sorry bro.
That's fine- I kind of expected that going in because of what I've heard, and really, after Rin and before Hanako/Lilly, that might be a good thing.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

BMFJack wrote: Personally, I've never understood the Misha obsession. I've always considered Misha obnoxious, although she does have good intentions. I don't dislike Misha, in fact Shiina Mikado is one of the characters I positively like, but I probably couldn't be friends with her if I were in Hisao's position.
Same here. She *is* obnoxious, and even she thinks it's somehow a positive trait. I spent most of the route (especially after Hisao knows sign) wishing she'd go away. Always the way, right? The cute girl you like, and you can't get her fat friend to piss off so you can have some privacy.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

metalangel wrote:
BMFJack wrote: Personally, I've never understood the Misha obsession. I've always considered Misha obnoxious, although she does have good intentions. I don't dislike Misha, in fact Shiina Mikado is one of the characters I positively like, but I probably couldn't be friends with her if I were in Hisao's position.
Same here. She *is* obnoxious, and even she thinks it's somehow a positive trait. I spent most of the route (especially after Hisao knows sign) wishing she'd go away. Always the way, right? The cute girl you like, and you can't get her fat friend to piss off so you can have some privacy.
Whoa... a little harsh there.

She overdoes it obviously, but she means well and is working through her own problems too.
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

There are platforms for the feels train - the train just occasionally doesn't stop at them or goes down a different path.

Despite the fact the she does occasionally annoy me, I never disliked Misha. Well written character who also has a reason to act the way she does. I know, however, that I can't really hate someone I understand unless their internal logic is horrendous.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Misha is pretty similar to Hanako in the fact she's a fairly damaged person. The difference is how they choose to cope with it. Hanako deals with it by becoming extremely withdrawn and introverted, while Misha becomes extroverted and boisterous.

I think that's why some people like Misha over Shizune in her route. To me, there's more depth to her. Shizune as a character doesn't really appeal to me, but then again her route was the only one I felt that didn't have any real conflict allowing for character development for her.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Hanako and Misha are hardly similar. One is deeply traumatized, the other...Kinda has relationship issues.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

Eurobeatjester wrote: I think that's why some people like Misha over Shizune in her route. To me, there's more depth to her. Shizune as a character doesn't really appeal to me, but then again her route was the only one I felt that didn't have any real conflict allowing for character development for her.
There actually was character conflict and development in Shizune's path. The trouble is, it all happened offscreen and Hisao only peripherally was associated with these. My understanding is that this was intentional by the writer.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

Eurobeatjester wrote:Misha is pretty similar to Hanako in the fact she's a fairly damaged person. The difference is how they choose to cope with it. Hanako deals with it by becoming extremely withdrawn and introverted, while Misha becomes extroverted and boisterous.
My understanding is that the "extroverted and boisterous" side of Misha is actually a mask she uses to protect herself. Who she really is ... we don't get to see that much.

Misha and Hanako have a lot in common in terms of their background. Neither are disabled; both went through very difficult periods before coming to Yamaku.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Charmant wrote:Hanako and Misha are hardly similar. One is deeply traumatized, the other...Kinda has relationship issues.
Its hard to describe why I see the two as similar, because I've gone through similar things, but I'll try.

I see them as alike mainly because of Misha's actions when she gets rejected. The things she does doesn't really fit in with the level of what one would expect with standard rejection, especially for someone who comes off as aloof and carefree as Misha.

When she gets rejected by Shizune the first time, she completely changes her appearance. When Hisao starts dating Shizune, she gives herself another makeover. When it just becomes too much, she attempts to sleep with Hiaso.

That stark contrast between the way she presents herself and the things she does - those actions speak to me that she's at heart very unhappy with the person she is, and all the bubbliness, loud voice, over exaggerated actions, seem to me to be compensating for this (although it may just be a personality quirk given that this is a visual novel.)

I fully admit I've changed my appearance more than once at the drop of a hat as an attempt to "jump-start" myself out of depression. That's why seeing the way Misha used to be with long brown hair, then pink, then short hair resonates with me.

Being unhappy with who they are...while it's for different reasons for Hanako and Misha, I see the two of them as being very similar in that regard. I didn't get that vibe from the other girls except for Rin, but she didn't resonate with me in the regard the other two did.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Atario

Post by Atario »

SpunkySix wrote:
Atario wrote:Whatcha been doin' with yourself?
Various things, but that's really none of your business.
Well then. Fuck me for showing even a passing interest in you as a human being, huh?
Charmant wrote:Hanako and Misha are hardly similar. One is deeply traumatized, the other...Kinda has relationship issues.
Misha was traumatized enough in her past that she decided abandoning her prior bullied life in favor of a school for the disabled would be a step up.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

And, more to the point, Hanako and Misha both were bullied for being something that they can't help being. Sure, Hanako's been more traumatized, and will likely never really integrate into society (not even a Western society, and I could see her having just as much (but somewhat different) trouble there), but then, Misha's chances aren't that much better, except in certain areas of the biggest cities. (Then again, Misha does ultimately emigrate for her studies...)

I've actually thought for a while now that if Misha would let Hanako see the real Shiina Mikado, there's the potential for them to bond. I also think Hanako knows that Misha is fake.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Ibinsned

Post by Ibinsned »

Misha's certainly an interesting character, to say the least. She's far more compelling than Shizune in my opinion. Shizune is Q character that's hard to like and to relate to, and while other characters have conflict, she lacks this. In fact, it is Misha's conflict that is described in Shizune's route, making me wonder which character the author preferred to write.

Many people would prefer a Misha route, although that's entirely unrealistic considering her sexuality.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I think a Shizune-only route could have been just as interesting, people don't find her compelling but we're not given nearly as much opportunity to talk to her because (Jan Brady voice) Misha Misha Misha!