Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Atario

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Atario »

ogorhan wrote:
Atario wrote:If it's a dub, yeah, I'm not surprised. A lot of them don't bother getting it right either.
Its was subbed.
You got me curious to hear this, so I looked up some clips. I'm hearing "Reen", both in the subs and in the dubs.

In the sub, you can hear a few different "Reen"s during the couple of minutes starting here:

And in the dub, to my surprise, they do seem to get it right:

Just to clarify, here's several "Rihn"s, from the Inuyasha dub, which consistently gets it wrong: They mess up many of the I-words in the show, wavering pretty inconsistently between "ee" and "ih", even for the title character's name! I still consider it a classic, though…
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Regarding the sub discrepancies, In Japanese, the N beat, syllable, what have you, is usually combined with the beat of the character before it in speech, along with a few other sounds like su, bu, etc. with only the first part of the sound spoken. It's pretty similar to the way contractions are used in English. Very common in names, which is why when pronounced Asuka sounds like Ass-kah, and Yusuke sounds like Yus-keh.

Formally, you would pronounce Rin's name "Ree-n", as two syllables, with the N sound having the same measure and length as the Ree before it. However, in normal speech, you would simply combine them into one fast beat or tack the N on as an afterthought.

The most common way you'd hear it pronounced in Japanese in an informal setting would be close to the "lin" in the word and cadence of "lintel," with the I being slightly higher to come closer to the way you would say "lean", but with a quicker cadence. It's hard to find an English word that matches the inflection and beat.

Furthermore, the "ri" hiragana in modern Japanese covers a few different inflections of the sound, especially in different dialects like kanto and kansai. There's no formal hiragana or katakana for the "i" sound you would have in the english word "bin." "Re" sounds like ben and "Ri" sounds like "lean." The "bin" inflection is usually covered under "ri" when writing in katakana or hiragana since the next closest word "re" has a much more distinct sound.

So you could most likely say "Rin" similarly to Bin, and the person would know what you meant. They wouldn't take offense as there's enough variations in Japanese dialect and accents to cover any inflection discrepancies. It's really no different than the way Americans and Brits write and say words like color and aluminium.

It's just one of those nuances you pick up from learning and studying the language and having conversations with native speakers. I'm not fluent, but it was a fun way to kill some time in college.
Last edited by Eurobeatjester on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
brythain

Post by brythain »

Eurobeatjester wrote:It's just one of those nuances you pick up from learning and studying the language and having conversations with native speakers. I'm not fluent, but it was a fun way to kill some time in college.
Thanks for expressing it so well. It works for me, experientially. Now we need never have this dispute again. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

Munchenhausen wrote:"Pronounce my name."
Are you happy now? :evil:

Atario

Post by Atario »

300BillionDegrees wrote:Are you happy now? :evil:
"Hitler Slaine Munchenhausen did nothing wrong!"
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

WHAT HAVE I DONE
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Still on about Rin's name? Ok.

Hmmm...

All I can say is the way to say it is to pronounce the syllables as one. Say someone named 'Mori' (森), now take how you pronounce the 'ri' and ends with a slightly moderately long 'n'.

That is the easiest explanation I can give...I think?

Also:
We don't pronounce 'personal computer' THAT long :lol:
Too long, we just cut them into 'pasokon' (パソコン) or 'konpyu-ta- (コンピューター).

Although pasokon is more common.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Kochi

Post by Kochi »

The 'r' sound there seems off to me, at least with English phonetics. It should be a bit more rolled than the usual English 'r' sound, like a single 'r' in Spanish.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Christ, I really ought to permakill this endless crap about pronunciation by stickying a post.

Someday. Maybe. :roll:

In the meantime, relevant. Follow links.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

brythain

Post by brythain »

Silentcook wrote:Christ, I really ought to permakill this endless crap about pronunciation by stickying a post.

Someday. Maybe. :roll:

In the meantime, relevant. Follow links.
That would be 'naise'. As opposed to 'niece', of course. Thanks!

(I also found the related thread here while following links.)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

What's the deal with Emi's accident?

Too vague. Ehhh.... How did she lose her legs exactly, like were they severed in the crash or did they get damaged so badly that they needed to be amputated?

Did her father die due to the accident (but not on the scene) or was he racing to the hospital after Emi's accident and died in another unrelated accident? I specifically remember it being said that he died on the way to the hospital, but that's all I remember at this point.

How long ago was the accident? I remember Emi saying she repeated a year due to it, but what year did she repeat?
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

BMFJack wrote:What's the deal with Emi's accident?

Too vague. Ehhh.... How did she lose her legs exactly, like were they severed in the crash or did they get damaged so badly that they needed to be amputated?

Did her father die due to the accident (but not on the scene) or was he racing to the hospital after Emi's accident and died in another unrelated accident? I specifically remember it being said that he died on the way to the hospital, but that's all I remember at this point.

How long ago was the accident? I remember Emi saying she repeated a year due to it, but what year did she repeat?
Most of it is pretty irrelevant, like which year she had to retake :P

However for the accident itself, my headcanon follows that of the obscure fanfic, 'A Man's Name'. Emi's dad was driving her back from a run in the park and they collided with an Artic being driven by a drunk.

Emi's dad died shortly after arriving at the hospital, and Emi's legs were almost completely severed, with amputation essentially being done to clean up the wounds.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

Munchenhausen wrote:Most of it is pretty irrelevant, like which year she had to retake :P
I asked because it is relevant, at least to me :p
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

BMFJack wrote:What's the deal with Emi's accident?

Pretty much all the information we have on this is from Whispers from the Past. According to that scene, her legs were gone when she was pulled from the wreckage. How exactly her father died is never stated precisely, but I've always presumed he died due to his injuries on the way to the hospital. The accident happened eight years ago, so that would be the year she had to repeat (i.e., elementary school, grade five).
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Check out numbers 5 and 1 of this Alltime 10s list. Now picture that happening to the waifu in question and feel the rage.
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.