Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: Ask!

Post by brythain »

TheHivemind wrote:Somewhere in the fanfic forum I think there's a story that involves the boat. You'd have to go pretty far back to find it, though.
VERY far back. Here it is.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Damn it Brythan, you beat me to it!

What I find kinda freaky is that tomorrow marks its 7th birthday. Couldn't have timed this better.
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Jesus... that's creepy. Though I guess we get somewhat close to water when Hisao goes fishing.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Atario

Post by Atario »

…Huh. I kept waiting for the horrific violence to start, but it never did. Damn you, School Days
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

brythain wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:Somewhere in the fanfic forum I think there's a story that involves the boat. You'd have to go pretty far back to find it, though.
VERY far back. Here it is.
Hahaha, yes that's the one.
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

Did any of the girls got her name changed? The original sketch didn't have any names, so I'm guessing this could have happened. And if that wasn't the case, did you have trouble choosing the name for some of the girls?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

The names were decided before 4LS and were some of the first actual decisions made for the project because priorities. It really wasn't any more or less difficult than any other decision, even with more people talking about them with somewhat less coordination. The deaf girls' name was initially Rosa, which was changed maybe a few months later. Humorously, the biggest proponent for "Rosa" came back months and months later, after 4LS was already formed, to fight us about the name again.

When the cast expanded with side characters, they were mostly named by single 4LS devs, maybe with some consultation. The philosophy with naming them ranged from pretty laissez-faire (which resulted in some stupid shit that still makes me cringe) to obsessive (similar to the trench warfare about Shizune's name), depending on who was involved.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I accept full responsibility for Meiko. :3
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

brythain

Post by brythain »

Silentcook wrote:I accept full responsibility for Meiko. :3
That's a pretty nice one to have to take a bullet for. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Claiming Miki (though her family name Miura was from Delta), Akira, and Aoi.

Lilly wasn't mine, and my choice for her family name used to be Sonomi. Not the greatest, admittedly.
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

Suriko, had you put much thought into how long Miki has had her disability? I have my own idea of when it was that she lost her left hand, but I'd love to know what you as Miki's writer think (even though I know that the stance 4LS takes is that only what is in the game should be considered canon).
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Kon22 wrote:Did any of the girls got her name changed? The original sketch didn't have any names, so I'm guessing this could have happened. And if that wasn't the case, did you have trouble choosing the name for some of the girls?
Yeah in the early days (pre-4ls, post /a/ thread) there were multiple names for each girl. We made a poll and voted on names, although as Aura mentioned, Rosa wound up getting canned in spite of the vote (THERE'S YOUR DEATH OF DEMOCRACY! Seriously though, Rosa was a terrible name). The real bastard was naming Hisao--I think that might have been one of the larger fights.

I also claim full responsibility for naming the Nurse, which was really my only significant naming contribution.
TerrorOfTheHighSeas

Post by TerrorOfTheHighSeas »

TheHivemind wrote: I also claim full responsibility for naming the Nurse, which was really my only significant naming contribution.
And the most valuable contribution of them all! Initially, were you planning on giving the Nurse a name, or was it decided from the start that he wouldn't have one? A while ago, I read that the Nurse himself was inspired by the story about Nurse-kun and Amputee-chan. Was that the reason why his name remained anonymous? My apologies if this has been answered in this thread or elsewhere. I had a quick search and couldn't find any information which specifically answered my questions :D
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

(deleted my embarrassingly stupid question)
Last edited by 300BillionDegrees on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:Suriko, had you put much thought into how long Miki has had her disability? I have my own idea of when it was that she lost her left hand, but I'd love to know what you as Miki's writer think (even though I know that the stance 4LS takes is that only what is in the game should be considered canon).
A few months before she entered Yamaku.