Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

FBOF

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by FBOF »

ogorhan wrote:So any other good VN's people played that are recommended before the thread gets cooked?
Currently filtering through some of the suggestions and probably going to make my own "Newbie Western"-thread about VN's with some suggestions here and there. Have noticed that plenty of the games suggested here lack any sort of tags or are so old it's nearly impossible to obtain em anymore. Must admit, since I'm terrible new at this I reckon most of the stuff I'll write about will be considered way too tame for anything but a first-timer.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Comrade wrote: But an older sibling X younger sibling definitley would.
Hmm.I suposse, I'm only child so I don't know well how works brother-sister relationships :mrgreen:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Comrade wrote:How is fucking the person who takes care of you as an older sibling would (or the other way around) mostly fine? Can you not see the psycholoigcal effects this might cause on the weaker partner?
Which is exactly why I specified that they had to be adults, in order to minimize the power imbalance.
Comrade wrote: But an older sibling X younger sibling definitley would.
How much older are you talking here? Because I'm thinking of adults a few years apart who just happen to be siblings, not some guy with his little sister who's 10 years younger (or vice versa)
Zarys wrote: Hmm.I suposse, I'm only child so I don't know well how works brother-sister relationships :mrgreen:
I have siblings, and we're mostly indifferent to each other, so that's where I'm coming from in this.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

FelOnyx wrote:
Comrade wrote:But an older sibling X younger sibling definitley would.
How much older are you talking here? Because I'm thinking of adults a few years apart who just happen to be siblings, not some guy with his little sister who's 10 years younger (or vice versa)
If they're underage and they have a relationship like that, I'd expect them to be only a few years apart. Imo, the maximum age gap should be 4 years if they're over Age of Consent, but not legally an adult.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

gekiganwing wrote:True Tears: the TV series is available in English, but only a demo of the original visual novel has been translated. I read the demo once in 2006, waited at least a year hoping for more, and eventually gave up. According to what I read on TVTropes, they have "...a completely different plot, cast and art style..."
"True Tears"?

Ye gods, that doesn't sound like it's going to be sad at all. I might have to consider this one though. Just so long as it doesn't go all After Story on me, because fuck that.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

Now that the Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works anime is out, I just remembered a grim realization I had when reading that VN (which I'll never not recommend, BTW).

Shirou has a gruesome case of PTSD and Survivor's Guilt. It's kinda sad to see his life spoiled by images of the fire and the overwhelming sense of guilt he has.

Not sure if I posted this already, but Comyu: Black Dragon in a Gentle Kingdom is also really good. Not Fate level, but still good.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

I just finished reading Period, and I have to say I am very surprised at the lack of attention this has gotten, both here and on the 'Net generally. Yes, I realize that a lot of that is due to the typical Littlewitch artwork, which is very much tailored to...certain tastes, but the story itself is very sweet, and the characters are very well developed (no pun intended, on multiple counts). I had put off reading this because of the dearth of reviews I've seen for it, so this was very much a pleasant surprise. The only real issues I had were that a couple of the routes could have been longer, and some of the plot devices could have been explained better. I think, if you can get past the artwork (which admittedly is a lot easier for someone like myself), you will find this VN quite rewarding :) .
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Dervel_Cardarn

Post by Dervel_Cardarn »

One VN i liked a lot because of the strategic gameplay was Kamidori alchemist meister

The history is not that good but i would R8 the gameplay 8/8
Blanc

Post by Blanc »

Had read Sekien no Inganock. Wow, I didn't expect how parallel it was to True Remembrance.
Path:
Rin > Emi = Shizune/Misha = Lilly > Hanako
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

If you're interested, Clannad is having a kickstarter to produce an English translation.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Liminaut wrote:If you're interested, Clannad is having a kickstarter to produce an English translation.
Including a full english voiceover.

Which will either be amazing or awful.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
Liminaut wrote:If you're interested, Clannad is having a kickstarter to produce an English translation.

I'm guessing the latter but who knows. Though I am biased since I like jp voice acting :lol:
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

CoffeeDrive wrote:

I thought they specifically stated they weren't doing an english voiceover, or has this changed? Because it says on the kickstarter page
Additionally, we will not be recording an English dub.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

It has already been translated by Doki Fansubs, and their translation is really good quality.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Koi

Post by Koi »

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever ran into a VN with traps?