Favourite artworks - reprise.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

slagman5

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by slagman5 »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:Emi looks just a a little odd, but I love the realistic Rin and Hisao.
Neither him or I really had any idea of how Emi would look as a real person. Our only discussion regarding her look was her hair color, to which we kind of agreed to go with blonde since pink isn't exactly a real hair color, and neither of us could remember if she was actually ever confirmed to have dyed her hair. So we just concluded that she got the anime treatment in terms of hair color and changed it to blonde. But in terms of the face, I think she was originally drawn with more anime proportions before the "realistic" style was fully agreed on, so she kind of retained some of those anime proportions with realistic detail and shadings to the face. The artist has this rather unique style that he likes to do on some of his work, where it's a combination of anime and realistic, and that was the option he tried before we finalized on just going straight realistic. I think maybe with slightly smaller eyes, her face would look more consistent with the style that was used perhaps. But I'm only guessing what could look odd to you about her. But it was pretty much agreed upon from the beginning that Rin is the focus in this and her face was really the only one we went back and forth about and that I gave any input to for changes and adjustments. So I think in that way, Rin's appearance is the most "refined" out of the three...
Cheapchip

Post by Cheapchip »

At first I thought that Hisao's face is rather unmanly...until I stare long enough and decide that the white reflection on his cheek makes him look chubby.
Anyway, I like the realistic-anime style, and Rin's face. Also, this is my first post after long time lurking silently, so,...

...Hi guys.
My background for my phone is from Imperfect Spectrum KS Artbook.
I'm using this as my signature because you must be a curious person to open the spoiler.
Since you are curious, I'm telling you one random thing about me.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

I certainly like their hair, the soft details and colouring look quite nice. Same with the clothing.

They don't look Japanese, though. Am I just not seeing it or are they unexpectedly western-looking?
CheapChip wrote:Also, this is my first post after long time lurking silently, so,...

...Hi guys.
Hey mate, welcome :)
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

First thing that came to my mind is how American looking Rin is O.o
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Cheapchip

Post by Cheapchip »

Munchenhausen wrote: They don't look Japanese, though.
Squinted eyes are needed for them to look Japanese.
Now, excuse me while I step into the landmine of political incorrectness.
*BOOM*
Now I have a prosthetic leg like Emi.
My background for my phone is from Imperfect Spectrum KS Artbook.
I'm using this as my signature because you must be a curious person to open the spoiler.
Since you are curious, I'm telling you one random thing about me.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Munchenhausen wrote:I certainly like their hair, the soft details and colouring look quite nice. Same with the clothing.

They don't look Japanese, though. Am I just not seeing it or are they unexpectedly western-looking?
Since they don't look Japanese in the game too. :mrgreen:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

slagman5 wrote:
ogorhan wrote:
slagman5 wrote:Here's a piece I commissioned that was just finished. :-)

Artist is EduardoGaray on Deviant Art.

rin-share.jpg
Eh im not into that kind of style myself, Emi & Hisao especially just looks too weird.
I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea because it's not anime style, but don't blame the artist, that decision was mine, I saw a "realistic" depiction of Rin that he drew and it really captivated me as I saw her as a real person, and that's why I asked for this drawing as well, specifically not to be done in an anime style. And clear from the beginning is that Rin is the center of attention for this pic. While I didn't draw it, the theme of it, setting, and their poses were my decision, so go easy on it. :-P
I'm sad there isn't more 'realistic' art like this. Anyone (not literally!) can just draw the characters. Boring. The 'realistic' stuff is always far more interesting (whether it be KS or Pokemon or anything else). But it needs the rest of the cast.

@Munch: When I first started watching anime, I had no idea that anybody was supposed to be Japanese because they all looked like white people. So not looking Japanese is pretty typical of characters in this stuff anyway. :lol:
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Charmant wrote: @Munch: When I first started watching anime, I had no idea that anybody was supposed to be Japanese because they all looked like white people. So not looking Japanese is pretty typical of characters in this stuff anyway. :lol:
They are too identical even for themselves. :mrgreen:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Atario

Post by Atario »

slagman5 wrote:EduardoGaray on Deviant Art

[…]

he did draw one of just Rin in this style before, but it was more dark and sad
Oh shit! It's this guy!

Didn't even know he did commissions…
it wasn't "cheap" as in under $100 cheap
Hmm. You, uh, wanted to see this scene quite a bit…
Neither him or I really had any idea of how Emi would look as a real person. Our only discussion regarding her look was her hair color, to which we kind of agreed to go with blonde since pink isn't exactly a real hair color
Er. Where are you getting that Emi has pink hair? For reference:

I would call that strawberry blonde (not that any kind of blonde is a real hair color for a Japanese person anyway).

But now that you mention hair color, isn't Hisao's way too dark?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Emi's hair did look a lot pinker in the KS beta. And it's in one of those weird intermediate shades that genuinely does look pink next to certain other colors.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Leaty wrote:Emi's hair did look a lot pinker in the KS beta. And it's in one of those weird intermediate shades that genuinely does look pink next to certain other colors.
And none of those alleged colors are present in her sprite, as evidenced by it clearly not having pink hair, which brings us back to the question. :lol:

Found fanart of Rin's route:

KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

^How else are you suppose to respond to the question, "What's up", other than stating what's directly overhead?

If I don't say, "The sky", or "The ceiling", I usually end up responding with "Good". That's being socially inept for ya'.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Charmant wrote:And none of those alleged colors are present in her sprite, as evidenced by it clearly not having pink hair, which brings us back to the question. :lol:
You're right, it's totally impossible for anybody to get the impression that Emi's hair is pink.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

KeiichiO wrote:^How else are you suppose to respond to the question, "What's up", other than stating what's directly overhead?
With an answer that's relevant to the question (which isn't literal), of course. Or, in appropriate company, "my dick".

@Leaty: Looks all kinds of brown to me. o.O Some pinkish shadows but shadows aren't hair color...
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Charmant wrote:With an answer that's relevant to the question (which isn't literal), of course. Or, in appropriate company, "my dick".
Blah blah blah blah GAME GRUMPS.

Real talk: Not being able to see Hisao's other eye in the screenshot is really freaking me out...