Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Potato

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Potato »

Broomhead wrote:Don't pay any attention to them, that's what both the writer and devs want. They are understandable in thinking that KS2 is legally valid, but they're wrong. Furthermore, even if it wasn't legally questionable, morally it's taking someone else's brainchild and adding to it. Don't take peoples children and graft arms on. It's impolite and mostly illegal.
That was almost Rin-ish. :lol:

"The new developer has already confirmed they will move forward with their game, which is fully within their right to do. 4LS made Katawa Shoujo under the Creative Commons License. To be specific, this particular CCL says,

“You may not use the material for commercial purposes. If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.”

Which means that Music Box Studios could make a game inspired by Katawa Shoujo and distribute it for free, so long as they don’t take what 4LS made and pass it off as their own."

Um...I'm pretty sure copy-pasting the setting KS totally qualifies as "building upon the material". They could make it, probably, but they plainly could never distribute it. :lol: I love when these types don't do their homework...
Last edited by Potato on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

I'm playing her route now. The scene during the festival is similar to something I've experienced, except she wasn't so... verbose about it.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

If someone has a analyzis of my deams : http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9841, contact me by PM !
(Don't answer here, please, it's no authorized here)
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
HayStack44

Post by HayStack44 »

OK, so you may have read a few pages back about the attempt by some people to make KS2 and the shenanigans/drama that came from that. Basically the project leader asked 4LS for permission, it wasn't given. Then the guy did not tell the rest of the team this. Then 4LS and r/katawashoujo found out. Then there was some back and forth about what had to changed. Then the rest of the team behind this 'sequel' found out that permission hadnt been given to use any stuff from the original KS.

Then things have taken a turn for the weird. Read the last entry here:
http://woodmusicbox.tumblr.com/

then this:

:?
LordMarluxia
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.

Post by LordMarluxia »

It is a shame it has come down to this, I was looking forward to trying a new game based on KS.
Of course, I didn't want it to be a KS2. When things take such a sharp turn to worse, I find it difficult to believe that things will ever get back on the right track.

I want to return to Yamaku, but chances were always 0.
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."
Potato

Post by Potato »

HayStack44 wrote:OK, so you may have read a few pages back about the attempt by some people to make KS2 and the shenanigans/drama that came from that. Basically the project leader asked 4LS for permission, it wasn't given. Then the guy did not tell the rest of the team this. Then 4LS and r/katawashoujo found out. Then there was some back and forth about what had to changed. Then the rest of the team behind this 'sequel' found out that permission hadnt been given to use any stuff from the original KS.

Then things have taken a turn for the weird. Read the last entry here:
http://woodmusicbox.tumblr.com/

then this:

:?
"he helped me beat Halo 3 on legendary (that is important to me)"

I'm sorry, I got the giggles. :lol:

@Marluxia: It's absolutely possible to get a game based on KS2, as in "loosely inspired by"...It just won't have anything directly connected to KS.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

*Palpatine Face*

Good riddance, the scoundrels have finally seen the folly of their ways. May no fool ever challenge the might of the 4LS fans and knowledge of basic law again!

In all seriousness, it's good the deception has come to light. Not only does that mean the team will split up (although it sounds like they may still be interested in continuing a KS2-esque sequel, I don't think they will under WMB.) but it also means that people will be discouraged from trying to do it again. I'm not necessarily thrilled with the way that the blog explained it, and the members don't seem that way either, but I'll keep my suspicions for the blogger's mental health to a minimum for now. I respect those who were willing to come on the reddit page and make amends in this subject as well, it takes both guts and steel to do that. I think if any of the (non-Kieran/heltan) members are willing to come, they are welcome here. That said, the heretic may not be forgiven by me for some time. I hope this doesn't affect any of the team members permanently in a negative way.

I'm back in action.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Only the awareness of Katawa Shoujo interest them, otherwise they would makes an original VN, maybe based with a similar gimmick (Like "Missing Stars")
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
LordMarluxia
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.

Post by LordMarluxia »

Potato wrote: "he helped me beat Halo 3 on legendary (that is important to me)"

@Marluxia: It's absolutely possible to get a game based on KS2, as in "loosely inspired by"...It just won't have anything directly connected to KS.
I got a strong case of the giggles as well (the entire office looked at me, I should get back to work).

We should be getting some games based on KS shortly. Love Despite and Missing Starts.
But... I wanted to go back to Yamaku.

It's the same desire that was satisfied in Persona 4, when the party visits the setting of Persona 3 and we get to see the school again, some teachers and an older Chihiro.
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."
Potato

Post by Potato »

Broomhead wrote:I hope this doesn't affect any of the team members permanently in a negative way.
Aside from basically saying "It's super great they'll all split up now!"... :lol: Hell, they showed the ambition, I wouldn't mind seeing if they could turn it toward something less infringey.

@Zarys: "Gimmick" tends toward a negative connotation of "This exists purely to bring in the audience based on shallow curiosity or short-lived amusement", in the way that "LOL YOU'RE A CAT" is the gimmick of the game "Catlateral Damage" which is a terrible inferior attempt at capturing the magic of Katamari. Being that the cripple status of our cast is a legitimately thought-provoking and meaningful aspect of the story and characters, rather than a mere curiosity to pull in an audience, I wouldn't label it a gimmick. Just a note. :P
d2r

Post by d2r »

Potato wrote:"he helped me beat Halo 3 on legendary (that is important to me)"

To be fair, that's basically a blood-debt right there. :P
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
turbulentDuvet

Post by turbulentDuvet »

the only reason I am keeping abreast of the KS2 developements (as best I can) Is because of the cheek of it.

I am part of, and I know of, a lot of VN groups who were so touched by KS that they have created their own groups to tell their own story. But the bloody nerve to quite blatantly jump on the coat-tails of 4LS and KS is rude :<

Moreover I think you would have to be bloody mad to take on as your first project a sequel to something that has proven to be as popular as KS. The fanbase is huge, growing, and still very active after over 2 years.

To want try to live up to that as your first foray into the OELVN world is firmly in the land of the cloud cuckoo landers imo :o)
People are like chemicals, they only need to come together once and they can change eachother forever.
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Potato wrote: Aside from basically saying "It's super great they'll all split up now!"... :lol: Hell, they showed the ambition, I wouldn't mind seeing if they could turn it toward something less infringey.
Well... I mean... it... is...
Not only does that mean the team will split up but it also means that people will be discouraged from trying to do it again.
(It as in infringing on 4LS)

I agree with you that they seem like nice people, and are ambitious enough to pull off some really great work, I just don't think that the team, as they are, would be good for the development of games, but just not under the same brand as they are now.(seeing as their first work would be a legal issue that could haunt them for the rest of their existence otherwise.) Public opinon is important when developing a business, even if it doesn't matter in the actual development cycle, it affects the artists/writers, the reception, etc.

I'm back in action.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Potato wrote:
Broomhead wrote: @Zarys: "Gimmick" tends toward a negative connotation of "This exists purely to bring in the audience based on shallow curiosity or short-lived amusement", in the way that "LOL YOU'RE A CAT" is the gimmick of the game "Catlateral Damage" which is a terrible inferior attempt at capturing the magic of Katamari. Being that the cripple status of our cast is a legitimately thought-provoking and meaningful aspect of the story and characters, rather than a mere curiosity to pull in an audience, I wouldn't label it a gimmick. Just a note. :P
I know, but I doubt that the guys from Music Box Studio had a soo deep vision of KS.
Makes KS2 is certainly for them "A VN with disabled girls, a know name, and Yamaku !"
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Potato

Post by Potato »

turbulentDuvet wrote:To want try to live up to that as your first foray into the OELVN world is firmly in the land of the cloud cuckoo landers imo :o)
Can I just say "OELVN" is a really dumb term? VNs aren't mandated Japanese by default. There is no reason to specify "English Language" in that way. Just call it a VN and specify its language in the details instead of pretending it's a separate genre. :x

There also is no reason to specify "Original" unless you have a reputation otherwise as an idea thief.

/PetPeeveRant

And I dunno. The way people talk, some fanfics live up to KS well enough. :lol: