What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
ogorhan
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: World of Kancolle

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by ogorhan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:23 am

Well I can imagine people asking Misha in a rather blunt way of why she is even in the school if she doesnt have a disability.
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by metalangel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:29 am

I can't imagine Misha would get trouble over wanting to learn sign from Deaf students.

User avatar
LordMarluxia
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:40 am
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.
Contact:

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by LordMarluxia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:46 am

SpunkySix wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:And why would other students - especially the deaf ones - object to healthy people wanting to teach their language?
People get butthurt over nothing an awful lot.
I don't think people would freak out over that. In the beggining maybe but seeing her around all happy might be contagious!

Oh, wait. That's it! Kenji was kind of right all along! She is there to lift the morale!!
And what about sign language!!
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."

User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2867
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Oddball » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:55 pm

SpunkySix wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:And why would other students - especially the deaf ones - object to healthy people wanting to teach their language?
People get butthurt over nothing an awful lot.
Using the word butthurt is like saying "I don't have a decent point. Please ignore me."
Not Dead Yet

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Atario » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:09 pm

I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but in my initial playthrough, I never did wonder what Misha's disability was, even before the issue was addressed in the game. Not sure what I would have said if asked, either. I guess I just left the topic completely unexamined in my mind while everything else was going on; then she explains she's only there for the sign language and I just accepted it and moved on. I wonder if that means I'm good at withholding judgment or bad at being curious. :?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Oddball wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:And why would other students - especially the deaf ones - object to healthy people wanting to teach their language?
People get butthurt over nothing an awful lot.
Using the word butthurt is like saying "I don't have a decent point. Please ignore me."
Replace it with pissy, whiny, angry, upset, or a million other words that mean the exact same thing in that case.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by metalangel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:05 pm

It could just be that you didn't have a decent point.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:22 pm

metalangel wrote:It could just be that you didn't have a decent point.
People don't get mad over nothing? Huh, I guess I suddenly live in a world where fandoms, impatient jerks and bitter people looking for a reason to snap at somebody don't exist.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by metalangel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:59 pm

SpunkySix wrote: People don't get mad over nothing? Huh, I guess I suddenly live in a world where fandoms, impatient jerks and bitter people looking for a reason to snap at somebody don't exist.
Is that world also free of people who feel the need to weigh in on every topic, no matter how ignorant they are of it?

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 pm

metalangel wrote:
SpunkySix wrote: People don't get mad over nothing? Huh, I guess I suddenly live in a world where fandoms, impatient jerks and bitter people looking for a reason to snap at somebody don't exist.
Is that world also free of people who feel the need to weigh in on every topic, no matter how ignorant they are of it?
Tell me why I'd need specific, inside information about interpreters in schools for the disabled to know that there are people in the world, handicapped and not, that are looking for somebody to take their anger out on for just about any reason they can find. That's not ignorant, it's common sense. It happens everywhere. I saw a kid get punched and floored for accidentally brushing up against somebody else once.

Argue against what I said, not who I am. Or at least be accurate if you're not going to. There's been plenty of topics I haven't commented on because of my ignorance to the subject. Most of the time sign language comes up at length I drop out of the topic, and I specifically said in the topic about tanks that I would refrain from commenting because I didn't know enough about them. I pretty much never comment on the specifics of Lilly, Hanako's or Shizune's routes because I don't know them. So much for every topic.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by metalangel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 pm

SpunkySix wrote: Tell me why I'd need specific, inside information about interpreters in schools for the disabled to know that there are people in the world, handicapped and not, that are looking for somebody to take their anger out on for just about any reason they can find. That's not ignorant, it's common sense. It happens everywhere. I saw a kid get punched and floored for accidentally brushing up against somebody else once.
You applied a generalization to a specific situation.
Argue against what I said, not who I am. Or at least be accurate if you're not going to.
I didn't realize I was your chaperone, having to wipe your mouth and apologize to everyone else every time you spout something out.

I went to a high school with likely the biggest Deaf/HoH department in the city. I have done a college course on the language and culture, which also ran programs I have volunteered and gone to events. I go to a social night. Every single person who is Deaf that I've met has been curious, sure, as to why I as a hearing person want to learn (it's usually the first or second question I get asked). But they have also all been friendly, patient and welcoming. For them, it means more friends, people to talk to, allies... especially people who want to become interpreters, the demand far outstrips the supply.

If your example, of someone being angry and looking for someone to take it out on, applies in the case you applied it to, it is so rare as to be almost negligible from what I've experienced and been told as per above.
I specifically said in the topic about tanks that I would refrain from commenting because I didn't know enough about them.
Why announce to people you're staying out unless you're seeking attention?

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:51 pm

Okay, so you have anecdotal evidence that doesn't contradict what I said, which was that somebody might get mad at Misha for a reason that doesn't make sense. Good for you?

And I announced I was out so it didn't seem like I was blowing people off.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by metalangel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:05 pm

SpunkySix wrote:Okay, so you have anecdotal evidence that doesn't contradict what I said, which was that somebody might get mad at Misha for a reason that doesn't make sense. Good for you?
Your generalization of human nature > experience specifically relating to sign and interpreting students at a school with Deaf/HoH students?!? Is 'it doesn't have to make sense' your get out clause?

We don't get much of the rest of the student body at Yamaku or what Misha's experiences in sign class were like prior to Hisao turning up, but I stand by being really astonished if she'd been given much grief.
And I announced I was out so it didn't seem like I was blowing people off.
A thread without Spunky is like a day without sunshine!

User avatar
Broomhead
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:44 am
Location: Castle in the Sky

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Broomhead » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:16 pm

Metal: I think you missed what Spunky said about "handicapped and not" as it implies he is talking about the world at large, not just the physically disabled. And also, you state that everyone who goes to your social outing for the deaf is kind, and well, social. That's a rather biased sample size, in a scientific sense. That aside, doing a college course on the language and culture is very nice, but that's taking the majority stand point and assuming it is constant across all specimens. Excuse me, but that's practically racism. (Oh, most Americans subscribe to a culture of wearing shorts and no shirt. *Takes pants and shirts off the market because "no one buys them"*) I am not saying that this is how you are, I respect you to much for that. But that's how you're coming off. No amount of learning can cover every person with a physical condition, much less a specific sub-set of one of those. It's literally impossible to study moment by moment someone aside from yourself. I appreciate your sentiments, but you and Spunky aren't connecting. Parallel lines don't meet, and you're arguing along them.

Spunky: I agree with you. I'm the jack-of-all trades in information, (Now most of it is based upon stuff I learned in American schools, but that's another matter entirely.) so I feel the need to weigh in on every topic, and am happy to be crucified if I am wrong. (Learning is fun.) I don't think metal understands that you are talking about both the disabled and the non-disabled in your comments, however, so it may be your best hope to address this.

Jeez I have a white knighting complex. Gaben lend me your strength!
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:22 pm

metalangel wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Okay, so you have anecdotal evidence that doesn't contradict what I said, which was that somebody might get mad at Misha for a reason that doesn't make sense. Good for you?
Your generalization of human nature > experience specifically relating to sign and interpreting students at a school with Deaf/HoH students?!? Is 'it doesn't have to make sense' your get out clause?

We don't get much of the rest of the student body at Yamaku or what Misha's experiences in sign class were like prior to Hisao turning up, but I stand by being really astonished if she'd been given much grief.
And I announced I was out so it didn't seem like I was blowing people off.
A thread without Spunky is like a day without sunshine!
You can be astonished all you want, and you're right that it's unlikely. So are a lot of the things that happen in the VN. If the question was asking about chances, then you'd be right on. The question didn't ask about chances though, so your personal experience means roughly squat here. The question asked why somebody might get mad at Misha, and I answered it. Remote chance or not, "blowing off steam on her because she's different" is a valid answer in that context.

Plus what Broomhead said about sample sizes and all that jazz.

I was mid-conversation when I realized I was over my head in terms of on-topic knowledge, so I let people know that I was done so that they didn't ask me questions that I couldn't answer and so that I didn't leave them hanging if they addressed me. It probably wasn't necessary, but I was thinking ahead and trying to be polite. I wasn't aware that we apparently have some sort of beef?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

Post Reply