What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Broomhead

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Broomhead »

FelOnyx wrote:I remember it was said somewhere that one of Misha's reasons for wanting to go to Yamaku was to get away from bullying elsewhere to a place she thought would be more tolerant, but I can't remember if that was actually in the VN or just something someone said on the Forums. It does make sense though. Either way, she wasn't sent to Yamaku, but chose to go, and whatever her secondary reasons were, the main one was to learn Sign Language.
Misha directly states that she was bullied at her old school.

Edit: Sorry, sorry. Mistype. Changed Bullies to bullied.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Broomhead wrote:
FelOnyx wrote:I remember it was said somewhere that one of Misha's reasons for wanting to go to Yamaku was to get away from bullying elsewhere to a place she thought would be more tolerant, but I can't remember if that was actually in the VN or just something someone said on the Forums. It does make sense though. Either way, she wasn't sent to Yamaku, but chose to go, and whatever her secondary reasons were, the main one was to learn Sign Language.
Misha directly states that she was bullied at her old school.

Edit: Sorry, sorry. Mistype. Changed Bullies to bullied.
Ah, thanks, haven't done Shizune's in a while, forgot some things.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

If I remember correctly, what Misha actually tells us about her past is that

1) She hated coming to Yamaku
2) She was hoping that everybody would leave her alone, and that this would be a big improvement over what she had before.

I don't think she says "bullied" in so many words, but the implication is pretty obvious.

My headcanon is that Misha fell in love with another girl, got outed, got bullied badly, and had to leave her school. Learning sign at Yamaku was the only way her family could afford a pritare school. But that's just my headcanon.

http://xkcd.com/1401/
Potato

Post by Potato »

Being a lesbian is not a disability so that could not be a justification for her presence at Yamaku.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Potato wrote:Being a lesbian is not a disability so that could not be a justification for her presence at Yamaku.
It depends on the basis of Yamaku's admissions. We do know that their primary basis is physical disability, not mental. However, there is a thread in Japanese conceptions of homosexuality which assigned it in the past to the category of congenital physical disorder. An interesting article to read can be found here

LINK—"The discourse on 'love between men' in interwar Japan: Iwata’s history of homosexuality".

It discusses the 'turn' in conceptualisation: "It is said that homosexuality is a congenital illness, but we learn from history, that in most cases, it posses a cultivated, environmental, occupational, or social basis…" Yasuda, the researcher quoted, is said to have used Japanese history as foil against a biologically determined conception of homosexuality.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Potato

Post by Potato »

brythain wrote:the past
Does Yamaku in modern times adhere to misconceptions of the past? Highly unlikely. Even if Yamaku had existed in that past, it would operate differently during the time of Misha's stay.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Potato wrote:
brythain wrote:the past
Does Yamaku in modern times adhere to misconceptions of the past? Highly unlikely. Even if Yamaku had existed in that past, it would operate differently during the time of Misha's stay.
There are places all over the world that do this for a variety of odd beliefs. Think about it. Look at Japanese society nowadays. Also, compare that to the kind of thing that happens in some parts of the US, if you like. Or any other 'modern' society. Bear in mind also that 'modern' refers to something like the last 300 years, and postmodern to anything after 1960.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Since we're talking about discrimination in Japan, THIS seems kind of relevant.

Japan has a real problem with being an old fuck culture. It's extremely slow to embrace new ideas and far behind on a lot of social issues. Due to this problem it is even more behind on certain civil rights issues than America, and there are noted problems with xenophobia. That said, Misha being sent to Yamaku specifically because she was a lesbian? I can't see that. Going there because she was applying for a specialized field and wanted to avoid discrimination? That makes sense.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
El Zilcho

Post by El Zilcho »

Oddball wrote:The devs have said that something like that actually was the original idea for Misha. Her parents found out she was a lesbian and sent her to Yamaku as an attempt to cure her.

Then the devs realized that it was a stupid idea and dropped it.
Yeah, that wouldn't really make much sense. "Misha, your mother and I think it's high time you got over this whole 'lesbian' nonsense. So, we're going to send you off to a school for disabled children, where you'll live full-time in a dormitory surrounded by attractive young women, until you're cured. Wait...you seem a lot happier about this than we expected..."
LordMarluxia
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.

Post by LordMarluxia »

El Zilcho wrote:
Oddball wrote:The devs have said that something like that actually was the original idea for Misha. Her parents found out she was a lesbian and sent her to Yamaku as an attempt to cure her.

Then the devs realized that it was a stupid idea and dropped it.
Yeah, that wouldn't really make much sense. "Misha, your mother and I think it's high time you got over this whole 'lesbian' nonsense. So, we're going to send you off to a school for disabled children, where you'll live full-time in a dormitory surrounded by attractive young women, until you're cured. Wait...you seem a lot happier about this than we expected..."
That is actually hilarious. I always thought that Misha was at Yamaku because she was learning sign language and nothing else.
Of course, at first I wondered what kind of disability does she have.

She is not missing any limbs. Doesn't seem scarred. She obviously isn't deaf-mute. Not blind either.
What does she have? Is it something mental? Then I thought it couldn't be, people with mental problems aren't admitted at Yamaku right?
Eventually I just assumed, she is here for the sign language. Of course! I felt pretty stupid... trying to pull a Poirot on her like that. It was disgusting.
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

El Zilcho wrote:Yeah, that wouldn't really make much sense. "Misha, your mother and I think it's high time you got over this whole 'lesbian' nonsense. So, we're going to send you off to a school for disabled children, where you'll live full-time in a dormitory surrounded by attractive young women, until you're cured. Wait...you seem a lot happier about this than we expected..."
:lol:

Of course, if her parents did send her to Yamaku for such a reason, it means that her """problem""" is in her pants (..err, skirt). Which means that Rin has been looking in all the wrong places to complete her people collection...

Then again, she may have multiple entries in the GL/BL category and be bored with the whole thing. Who knows with Rin. :?
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

I am the only one a little surprised that Misha has no problems with the other students when she is not disabled ?
I'm not sure that everyone is happy to be there and a few might take badly the fact that she is there for no reason.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Learning sign language IS a reason. Not every school offers courses for that.
And why would other students - especially the deaf ones - object to healthy people wanting to teach their language?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Mirage_GSM wrote:And why would other students - especially the deaf ones - object to healthy people wanting to teach their language?
People get butthurt over nothing an awful lot.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Learning sign language IS a reason. Not every school offers courses for that.
And why would other students - especially the deaf ones - object to healthy people wanting to teach their language?
Well I don't say it would be a rational reaction, but disabled people are no necessarily more rational than the others. :lol:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair