How long a lifespan do you think Hisao is going to have?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

How long do you think Hisao is going to live?

Hisao won't reach his 30s
No votes
He'll die in his 30s
15%
He'll die in his 40s
23%
He'll die in his 50s
18%
He'll die in his 60s
23%
He'll die in his 70s
8%
He'll live to be 80 or older
15%

Total votes: 40

Potato

Re: How long a lifespan do you think Hisao is going to have?

Post by Potato »

Liminaut wrote:I guess I'm the pessimistic one here.

Not only does the kid have a messed-up heart that could go on him at literally any time, but he's taking a whole wad of medications with some really creative side-effects. I went though that medicine wall-o-words carefully. Do you have any idea how many times 'hallucinations' is mentioned as a possible side effect?

I'm going for dead in the mid-30's. If his heart doesn't get him his meds will.
I didn't bother researching Hisao's meds but my signature kinda captures the gist of it. :lol: Medication is ironically really fucking awful for people in many cases...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Potato wrote: Medication is ironically really fucking awful for people in many cases...
You mean you don't take Zortafrinex?
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Not only does the kid have a messed-up heart that could go on him at literally any time, but he's taking a whole wad of medications with some really creative side-effects. I went though that medicine wall-o-words carefully. Do you have any idea how many times 'hallucinations' is mentioned as a possible side effect?

It is a bit unfounded, people with long QT are known for sudden death, so not necessarily 30 years.
In retrospect, I think he might die around 50 but 30 ? unfounded pessimism is not more realism than unfounded idealism.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
brythain

Post by brythain »

Zarys wrote:

It is a bit unfounded, people with long QT are known for sudden death, so not necessarily 30 years.
In retrospect, I think he might die around 50 but 30 ? unfounded pessimism is not more realism than unfounded idealism.
A shorter guess is normally more accurate than a longer guess because of the statistical distribution. It is not uniform, but tails off towards P=0 from a maximum of P=1 that the subject will reach his current age intact. This is true for all of us. The exact time limit is the debatable part. Untreated long QT gives 50% chance of living 10 years. So let's give Hisao 20 years, shall we? Mid-to-late 30s, plus bonuses for healthy living and no sudden shocks. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

brythain wrote:
Zarys wrote:

A shorter guess is normally more accurate than a longer guess because of the statistical distribution. It is not uniform, but tails off towards P=0 from a maximum of P=1 that the subject will reach his current age intact. This is true for all of us. The exact time limit is the debatable part. Untreated long QT gives 50% chance of living 10 years. So let's give Hisao 20 years, shall we? Mid-to-late 30s, plus bonuses for healthy living and no sudden shocks. :)
With this explanation, it is good.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Potato

Post by Potato »

metalangel wrote:
Potato wrote: Medication is ironically really fucking awful for people in many cases...
:lol: Oh god, I forgot about that...Back before the final season made a mockery of the show.

I saw an ad recently for some medication that proudly proclaimed a less likely risk of heavy bleeding than its competitors...Before rambling off a list of side-effects and warnings all about bleeding.

Yeah, Hisao's fucked.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Potato wrote:
metalangel wrote:
:lol: Oh god, I forgot about that...Back before the final season made a mockery of the show.

I saw an ad recently for some medication that proudly proclaimed a less likely risk of heavy bleeding than its competitors...Before rambling off a list of side-effects and warnings all about bleeding.

Yeah, Hisao's fucked.
It is a bit exaggerated, those suffering from long QT are not known to die after 5 years of medication ... :lol:

You think he would live longer without ? :mrgreen:
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

yeah, people with long QT syndrom can have a normal lifespan if they take care of themselves. Although Hisao's case does seem to be pretty bad, so he might be a bit shorter than average. I'd say somewhere between late 60s mid 70s for him.
Not Dead Yet
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

While Hisao might improve his odds by taking proper care of his heart, I agree with Liminaut and Potato in that his meds might screw him over (statins being the hot issue in the UK atm) and as Jeff Goldblum told us "Life finds a way". Like Hisao, we all hope for a nice long life with us Brits hoping to eventually receive a telegram from the monarch, but life has too many variables. A untimely death unrelated to his heart could be sitting round the corner. I sure found out yesterday when a good metre worth of brickwork from the first floor of my flat (which happens to be above the front door) fell away in the middle of the night. A slight variation of events could have held it in place until I closed the door while heading out to work, leaving the wet squishing sound from the end of Manly Picnic as the last thing I hear.

Unless there a medical breakthrough that has little or no side effects, I'll going for anything between mid 30s to 60s.
Last edited by Rhodri on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
ZeronosVega

Post by ZeronosVega »

Judging by the poll, I think most of us are hoping that Hisao doesn't fall victim to unfortunate circumstance and lives a reasonably long life. I truly think the biggest wild card will be the kinds of advances medical science can have in 10, 20, even 30 years. It's a circumstance I can relate to, as people with Marfan Syndrome such as myself used to expect one-third the average life expectancy only 40 years ago. Now, so long as I take care of myself, I am expected to live a normally long life barring accidents or unforeseen complications. In that sense, it leaves me hopeful that Hisao could have the same fortunate advances in his lifetime.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Well, this is a difficult question to answer because of all the complicating factors, unexpected developments, etc. Seeing as I'm not in the life insurance business, I don't have experience referring to actuarial tables or the like. However, I'm going to take a guess at the ages for each of the good endings, based on rigorous analysis of the respective texts.

Lilly: Age 34 - Death by Snu-Snu (Snu-Snu being the adorable mascot of a popular children's TV show). While watching with his daughter, the TV show triggers an epileptic fit, Hisao bites off his tongue, chokes on it, and dies.

Hanako: Age 27, 3 months, and 6 days - Muffinocalypse. A freak sequence of events leads to the creation of an army of sentient bloodthirsty muffin men, who exterminate humanity with extreme prejudice.

Rin: Age 79 - Old age, dies in his sleep.

Emi: Age 63 - The experiments of a mad scientist lead to the premature heat death of the universe on April 20, 2052.

Shizune: Age 47 - Hisao is murdered by Mayoi, who proceeds to devour his soul in a satanic ritual. Hideaki manages to destroy the undead witch through the power of manly biceps, but he's too late to save Hisao.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

ProfAllister wrote:Well, this is a difficult question to answer because of all the complicating factors, unexpected developments, etc. Seeing as I'm not in the life insurance business, I don't have experience referring to actuarial tables or the like. However, I'm going to take a guess at the ages for each of the good endings, based on rigorous analysis of the respective texts.

Lilly: Age 34 - Death by Snu-Snu (Snu-Snu being the adorable mascot of a popular children's TV show). While watching with his daughter, the TV show triggers an epileptic fit, Hisao bites off his tongue, chokes on it, and dies.

Hanako: Age 27, 3 months, and 6 days - Muffinocalypse. A freak sequence of events leads to the creation of an army of sentient bloodthirsty muffin men, who exterminate humanity with extreme prejudice.

Rin: Age 79 - Old age, dies in his sleep.

Emi: Age 63 - The experiments of a mad scientist lead to the premature heat death of the universe on April 20, 2052.

Shizune: Age 47 - Hisao is murdered by Mayoi, who proceeds to devour his soul in a satanic ritual. Hideaki manages to destroy the undead witch through the power of manly biceps, but he's too late to save Hisao.
Explain how the fact with wich girl Hisao make his living will have influence on disasters. :lol:
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Zarys wrote: Explain how the fact with wich girl Hisao make his living will have influence on disasters. :lol:
A freak sequence of events, as this somewhat offensive little cartoon demonstrates. One angry hipster douche and it's all over.
ShadowKnight

Post by ShadowKnight »

If you play the Emi route he either dies before he reaches 30, or he will life as long as an average human^^ If you play Lillys route he will probably die while having sex with her before reaching 30 xD
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

If I was Hisao, that's the way I'd want to go if it had to be via Arrhythmia. Better than getting hit in the chest with a meteorite or getting tumbled by your kid.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.