Thoughts on the game

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Banana132

Thoughts on the game

Post by Banana132 »

I think this post is going to need a small amount of background information to really get my feelings across. I like to think that I'm a fairly reserved man and that I don't let my emotions get the better of me for the most part, with that being said I can continue onto my main point. I went into this game blind and didn't really know what to expect. I sat down at 1.A.M. after downloading the game and decided to give it a go, that was 7 days ago. I played through an entire path (Emi's) in that one sitting. All I really have to say is DAMN. I was not expecting to go on that sort of feels trip what so ever, after I finished I went and rested on my bed and my heart actually felt warm in a way I can't explain other than saying it felt full, just full. I don't know how but this game got inside of my soul and made me feel things I didn't think a game could ever make me feel. As I stated previously it's been 7 days since I first played and I've since then sat down and played each of the female character's stories. For this section I think it's best to break it down path by path (They're in chronological order of me playing them and I should add that I've managed to get only the good endings so far).

Emi: This was my first path that I played, while it was mostly on accident that I fell on this path I thoroughly enjoyed it. It made me smile and made me a little sad at times. My second favorite path.

Lilly: By far my favorite path, Lilly's was a interesting one all the way through. IMHO she is the most beautiful of the girls and I loved her personality. Throughout the time spent on Lilly I found myself grinning like a fool, laughing like an idiot, and at one point I actually got down right pissed off.

Hanako: My 3rd favorite path, Hanako's path felt strange to me. I don't know if I can really put what I feel about her in words and make them sound coherent. I'll leave it at this, it crushed my soul at parts and I found myself happy at the end.

Rin: My 4th favorite path, Rin's path literally killed my happiness at times. In Act 1 I really enjoyed Rin's path, but as it progressed into Act 2 and 3 I got more and more dissatisfied (Now that I think on it that's what happened to Hisao too...). I felt used by Rin near the end, but the ending did make me feel a little better.

Shizune: My least favorite of the paths. Much like Rin's path I enjoyed Shizune up until the 2nd Act but unlike Rin the ending didn't make me feel any better. I actually found myself getting really bord with her and honestly hoping for it to end. Shizune felt really distant is how I would explain it best, but unlike Rin I didn't feel it get closer.

Now with the gameplay out of the way I'd like to talk about the rest of the game. The art style was really beautiful and I enjoyed looking at some of the more complex works. The music was phenomenal and set the mood perfectly. The animations were great whenever they would come up.

Now that I'm done giving my thoughts on the game itself I'd just like to thank everyone who took part in making this game, the writers were especially great and managed to really make this game feel like something more than just a game. Thank you for making this. <3
ParagonTerminus

Re: Thoughts on the game

Post by ParagonTerminus »

So you have sacrificed your soul to the blind demon fourthbestgirl (secondbestgirl if we're excluding supporting characters).

Welcome to the Waifu War.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Ignore, ParagonTerminus. I'm not even sure he knows what he's talking about. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Most people here have got quite a strong reaction out of the game so you're not alone there. You're also not alone in not caring that much about Shizune, as her route tends to be the one the least amount of people care for (although the ones that do like her and very vocal about it.)

Now go back and get the other endings. Everygirl has at least two. Some have three, there's also an Act 1 ending if you don't get any girl. I'll leave that one as a suprise as to what happens.
Not Dead Yet
ParagonTerminus

I do know what I'm talking about, I just needed to be "that guy" with the strange introduction methods.

In all seriousness, though, welcome, please enjoy your stay, ours is a nice community and we'll gladly answer any concerns you have.

Cheers!

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

ParagonTerminus wrote:I do know what I'm talking about, I just needed to be "that guy" with the strange introduction methods.

In all seriousness, though, welcome, please enjoy your stay, ours is a nice community and we'll gladly answer any concerns you have.
It's best to save the "strange guy" introduction for about five comments down or more. By then, they're already starting to feel welcome so it's less likely to scare the people off and give a bad first impression. Never make it the first reply. It's simply bad form. 8)
Not Dead Yet
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oddball wrote:
ParagonTerminus wrote:I do know what I'm talking about, I just needed to be "that guy" with the strange introduction methods.

It's best to save the "strange guy" introduction for about five comments down or more. By then, they're already starting to feel welcome so it's less likely to scare the people off and give a bad first impression. Never make it the first reply. It's simply bad form. 8)
He has a point, you know.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

Now that you've blasted through it once, I suggesting giving it a bit of a rest and then going through KS a second time, more slowly. There is a lot of stuff in the paths that takes on a different meaning once you know the full story. There are also a lot of details that are easy to miss the first time through. This is especially true of Shizune's path. Also the different paths will inform each other -- especially Lilly's and Hanako's.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Liminaut wrote:Now that you've blasted through it once, I suggesting giving it a bit of a rest and then going through KS a second time, more slowly. There is a lot of stuff in the paths that takes on a different meaning once you know the full story. There are also a lot of details that are easy to miss the first time through. This is especially true of Shizune's path. Also the different paths will inform each other -- especially Lilly's and Hanako's.
And Lilly's and Shizune's. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
ParagonTerminus

Oddball wrote:

Oh fine.

Keep me on back order though, I expect an email for each new member.

Banana132

Post by Banana132 »

Oddball wrote:Ignore, ParagonTerminus. I'm not even sure he knows what he's talking about. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Most people here have got quite a strong reaction out of the game so you're not alone there. You're also not alone in not caring that much about Shizune, as her route tends to be the one the least amount of people care for (although the ones that do like her and very vocal about it.)

Now go back and get the other endings. Everygirl has at least two. Some have three, there's also an Act 1 ending if you don't get any girl. I'll leave that one as a suprise as to what happens.
Yeah I think I will go back and get the rest of the endings, despite my soul feeling like it's already gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Yeah I think I will go back and get the rest of the endings, despite my soul feeling like it's already gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson.
You've only got the good endings so far. If that makes you feel like you've gone 15 rounds with Tyson, prepare to be ran over by Tyson driving a semi.
Not Dead Yet
Banana132

Post by Banana132 »

Oddball wrote:
You've only got the good endings so far. If that makes you feel like you've gone 15 rounds with Tyson, prepare to be ran over by Tyson driving a semi.
...Fuuuuuuuuuuck. This is going to suck.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

It's okay. Most of the bad endings are pretty interesting to watch, even if they're not joyful.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Guest Poster wrote:It's okay. Most of the bad endings are pretty interesting to watch, even if they're not joyful.
That reminds me of something my mother told me once. She taught in a Japanese school, and one day the student choir was learning to sing the 'Ode to Joy' in English.

A very puzzled student approached her after the session and asked her, "[Redacted]-san, why are we singing 'joyful, joyful, we are dozy'?"

OK… [/digression]
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
jayjayx5x1

Post by jayjayx5x1 »

WAIFU WARS!!!!!!! ..... ummm HI... anyway My favourite path would have to be Emi's cause umm *cough* waifu *cough* anyway in all seriousness it for me was one of the paths that i had the most feels the other being Shizune's because well i kinda got the bad ending first and well i felt like Muhammad Ali had hopping instead a supersonic jet and flew straight into my chest..... so i immediately went for the good ending, i understand when you talk about it being boring but i personally didn't mind it cause i like the story i did skip a little her and there the first time but in the end i personally enjoyed it.