Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SpunkySix »

I'm going to use Mass Effect here to drive home a point. I had a bunch of other stuff typed, but it got pointlessly bogged down in specifics and was a total tl;dr.

Love the trilogy, one of the best game series ever, respect Bioware so much, can't wait to get my 360 fixed so I can raid the Cerberus base finally. I'll never play it again after my first run. Why? Because a ton of the fun came from simply roleplaying as Shepard the first time, not knowing what to expect at all, and making decisions the way I would in real life. Arbitrarily going through a second time just to see what happens if I pull the red trigger in scene #367 doesn't interest me because it simply isn't what I'd do. Even if ME had more branching paths as opposed to a shifting linear story, and even if it was shorter and easier to manage, I still wouldn't do it.

I primarily enjoy playing games with multiple routes once, doing what I would do in real life, then making whatever happened my own personal canon. I respect a game for its ability to allow me to enjoy that, and to immerse me in the story I am creating with my honest choices, not for its ability to let me screw around with alternate options that I'd never actually select after the fact. KS is special so I happen to have a stronger emotional connection to it and I want to know more about it, but playing it more doesn't make me respect it more, it just makes it easier to talk about, and I happen to be enjoying it, so I'm doing it. That's all there is to it.

If that makes me not a fan of it or it doesn't make sense or something, then fine. I'll make up a new word for people who like a thing so much that it has changed the way they look at life but aren't concerned about the semantics of whether or not they are technically fanatics based on how many endings they went back and watched after they completed their initial run. We are spaznoids now. We have our own spaznoid club and everything. Join us, and receive a free Katawa Shoujo Spaznoid Club tee shirt, available in all sizes and primary colors for both genders.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

NSFW: http://gawker.com/japanese-artist-arres ... 1605855784

I wonder what Kenji would think in reaction to that.

I have this idea that Hanako would get inspired by it, too - not during the VN timeline, but years later. (Keep in mind that my headcanon is that Hanako will eventually get horribly disillusioned with how Japanese society treats her, and will end up revolting against it somehow. And, canonically, when she wants someone to know who she is, she shows them all of her...)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Atario

Post by Atario »

That woman is awesome and Japan's obscenity laws can suck it. (Literally and/or figuratively)
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

I don't think that would EVER happen.

Granted...After Yamaku it's all up to the imagination but...I don't think she would go "You rejected me? Let me show you my vagina" Like uhh...
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Atario wrote:That woman is awesome and Japan's obscenity laws can suck it. (Literally and/or figuratively)
Oh, but watch out, it's a culture thing, which means that it's immune from criticism. It's totally okay to censor people's art and stifle their creativity as long as it's a culture thing. Because the majority should have absolute authority over what others say and create for no good logical reason, and a consensus always makes logical sense.
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:
Atario wrote:That woman is awesome and Japan's obscenity laws can suck it. (Literally and/or figuratively)
Oh, but watch out, it's a culture thing, which means that it's immune from criticism. It's totally okay to censor people's art and stifle their creativity as long as it's a culture thing. Because the majority should have absolute authority over what others say and create for no good logical reason, and a consensus always makes logical sense.
For the snark was a boojum, you see… :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I do suspect that Hanako will eventually have a moment where she realizes that society's problems with her are society's problem, not hers, and may well intentionally try to make society uncomfortable (although not for its own sake, but rather to bring issues that society tries to sweep under the rug to the forefront).

I could see her being inspired by this. (Nude modeling probably is a massive stretch, but I could see the right circumstances causing her to do it for the sake of awareness.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:I do suspect that Hanako... may well intentionally try to make society uncomfortable (although not for its own sake, but rather to bring issues that society tries to sweep under the rug to the forefront).

I could see her being inspired by this.
Then she teams up with Rin and becomes the new Banksy.
Atario

Post by Atario »

SpunkySix wrote:Then she teams up with Rin and becomes the new Banksy.
I just imagined a much older Hanako in an oversized hoodie and knit cap, smoking a cigarette and looking bitter and angry. Someone's talking to her, trying to get her to be "more reasonable". She tersely makes some assertion about how society sucks, then punctuates her point by staring the person straight in the horrified eye while stubbing out her cig on a thicker part of her facial scar. She flicks the butt aside, brushes off the ashes, turns on her heel, thrusts her hands into her pockets, and stalks off, disgusted. A tiny shining droplet is just visible at the corner of one eye.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Atario wrote:
I just imagined a much older Hanako in an oversized hoodie and knit cap, smoking a cigarette and looking bitter and angry. Someone's talking to her, trying to get her to be "more reasonable". She tersely makes some assertion about how society sucks, then punctuates her point by staring the person straight in the horrified eye while stubbing out her cig on a thicker part of her facial scar. She flicks the butt aside, brushes off the ashes, turns on her heel, thrusts her hands into her pockets, and stalks off, disgusted. A tiny shining droplet is just visible at the corner of one eye.

I now just have this image of a jaded career criminal Hanako drinking tea with Lilly who became more religious as she got older.

Hanako: After you walk into a village, and see fifty children sitting neatly in a row against the church wall, each with their throats slit and their hands chopped off, you realize the creature that could do this doesn't have a soul.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Pyramid Head wrote:
Atario wrote:

I now just have this image of a jaded career criminal Hanako drinking tea with Lilly who became more religious as she got older.

Hanako: After you walk into a village, and see fifty children sitting neatly in a row against the church wall, each with their throats slit and their hands chopped off, you realize the creature that could do this doesn't have a soul.
H-he d-d-didn't even h-have the d-decency t-to b-b-b-bury them.

Somehow I doubt that would be a thing.
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

I was going to say, I'm all for new ideas about Hanako being a new person but that's a bit of stretch XD

I can't ever see her like that lol
Potato

Post by Potato »

bhtooefr wrote:I have this idea that Hanako would get inspired by it, too
What is even remotely inspiring about a big plastic vagina?

("Vagina selfie" is a wonderful term...)
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:I have this idea that Hanako would get inspired by it, too
What is even remotely inspiring about a big plastic vagina?
Well, she did put herself out there by presenting it to a judgmental world, which is something Hanako could learn from.
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:Well, she did put herself out there by presenting it to a judgmental world, which is something Hanako could learn from.
Now I'm imagining a 3D printer churning out do-it-yourself old burn scar templates for decorative placement.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)