Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

poopooface

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by poopooface »

Potato wrote:
Sohtak wrote:Well...I've finished Katawa Shoujo..more or less..Got mostly good endings in all routes.
It isn't finished until you've seen every ending of every route. :P
I am NEVER doing Hanako's bad ending.
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune
Potato

Post by Potato »

poopooface wrote:
Potato wrote:
Sohtak wrote:Well...I've finished Katawa Shoujo..more or less..Got mostly good endings in all routes.
That's fine. Enjoy depriving yourself of a good story for dumb reasons then. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
poopooface

Post by poopooface »

Potato wrote:
poopooface wrote:
Potato wrote:
That's fine. Enjoy depriving yourself of a good story for dumb reasons then. :lol:
I will.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I don't think I'll ever understand all those people who claim to like a girl, but will only watch the good sides of her. You can't really know a character until you've experienced all sides of him/her.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
SiniisteR

Post by SiniisteR »

Guest Poster wrote:I don't think I'll ever understand all those people who claim to like a girl, but will only watch the good sides of her. You can't really know a character until you've experienced all sides of him/her.
Would Lilly be an exception? You see the worst of her regardless of either ending anyway.
SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:Lilly diddling herself
Lilliddy dillidy doo, bee-boppin' that blind bugaboo.
poopooface

Post by poopooface »

Guest Poster wrote:I don't think I'll ever understand all those people who claim to like a girl, but will only watch the good sides of her. You can't really know a character until you've experienced all sides of him/her.
Well in that case I will eventually.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

It's not not wanting to see the bad side of a girl, it's not wanting to purposely screw said girl over with your choices just to see their depressing reaction to it. Those aren't the same thing.

For example, Emi. You do see the bad side of her regardless of what choices you make. If you get the good ending, it just so happens that you're able to work through the issues despite her flaws, which is what people generally want out of a healthy relationship with people they like. If you intentionally don't, then you get to see her feel even shittier, and doing that just to see what happens doesn't seem to hold a lot of value to me*.

If you had a girlfriend in real life, then how could you possibly claim to like her enough to marry her if you've never driven her into depression and then broken up with her just so you can see what making her life worse than when you met her would do to her as a character study? You haven't even seen her bad side yet! Heck, all the married lovers around the world must be fooling themselves!

*I mean, I'll do her bad ending anyways, but only because I promised the forum to.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

I don't know man...I don't think I could do the bad endings PURPOSELY.

I admit I first got Hanako's bad ending but that's because I made a big mistake and Hisao went WAY over the fucking edge. WAY more than I thought he would. But I don't think I could purposely do the bad endings. They are bad...for a reason lol.

I'm not gonna go through Emi's route and be like "Oh yeah your dads dead lololol"

Or you know...go through Shizune's route and be like "I fucked Misha LOLOLOL"

That..to me personally is like going through the game with the pure intent of being a dickwad lol

EDIT: I also got Rin's bad ending but..honestly Rin's route is just not appealing to me. Lilly,Hanako,Emi,Shizune & Misha? All made me cry in their story ALL OF THEM

Rin? Didn't even so much as tickle me and in Hisao's position? I would probably have done the same thing. Been like "Yeah fuck it I'm done enjoy life, Armless painter chick"
AussieInquisitor

Post by AussieInquisitor »

Sohtak wrote:

Rin? Didn't even so much as tickle me and in Hisao's position? I would probably have done the same thing. Been like "Yeah fuck it I'm done enjoy life, Armless painter chick"
Oh lord, now I'm imagining that Rin completely snaps, turns up at school with a 105mm howitzer and is just unlucky enough that it is Shizune/derp!Hisao/Nomiya that turn up at the front gate:

"What is YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION, SCATTERBRAINS?! Didn't your mummy and daddy give you enough love when you were a chi- ?!" *BOOM*
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

AussieInquisitor wrote:
Sohtak wrote:

Oh lord, now I'm imagining that Rin completely snaps, turns up at school with a 105mm howitzer and is just unlucky enough that it is Shizune/derp!Hisao/Nomiya that turn up at the front gate:

"What is YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION, SCATTERBRAINS?! Didn't your mummy and daddy give you enough love when you were a chi- ?!" *BOOM*
There's something wrong with your imagination. It doesn't seem to be working right. You might want to look into getting that fixed.
Not Dead Yet
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

So, there's this armless water bender in Legend of Korra, right? She's pretty cool. Reminds me of Rin in that she has no arms, though, pretty much everything else is completely un-Rin.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oddball wrote:
AussieInquisitor wrote:
Sohtak wrote:

There's something wrong with your imagination. It doesn't seem to be working right. You might want to look into getting that fixed.
Hey, that's the sort of imagination that invents some twisted and dark Lynch-esque cult classic and makes a fortune off of it. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as it's applied in a healthy way.

Heck, I'd be willing to bet that Rin herself would defend the willingness to go there in your head, as long as nothing violent actually came from it. There's no such thing as an imagination working incorrectly... that's why it's an imagination.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

It's not not wanting to see the bad side of a girl, it's not wanting to purposely screw said girl over with your choices just to see their depressing reaction to it. Those aren't the same thing.

For example, Emi. You do see the bad side of her regardless of what choices you make. If you get the good ending, it just so happens that you're able to work through the issues despite her flaws, which is what people generally want out of a healthy relationship with people they like. If you intentionally don't, then you get to see her feel even shittier, and doing that just to see what happens doesn't seem to hold a lot of value to me*.

If you had a girlfriend in real life, then how could you possibly claim to like her enough to marry her if you've never driven her into depression and then broken up with her just so you can see what making her life worse than when you met her would do to her as a character study? You haven't even seen her bad side yet! Heck, all the married lovers around the world must be fooling themselves!
Heh, note that I didn't say girlfriends...I said 'characters'. Because that's what they are. Characters in a story. Characters you emphatize with, but still...characters in a story. There's only a limited amount of canon things you can learn about them. No, I wouldn't put a real-life girlfriend through a depression just to learn a different side of her, but in real-life you don't have a save and restore button either and the person you're dealing with is a person and not a VN character. You can't get to know them and learn more about them over the years like you would a real-life person. The limited amounts of scenes in the game is all the canon information you'll ever learn about them, so it makes sense to want to know as much about them as possible, including how they act when things go south. You mentioned the word "character study". That's actually what it is to me, even though I like some characters better than others.

If you see your favourite character not as a VN character, but as an actual girlfriend who just happens to exist in a different reality from you, but who would still notice and be upset with you whenever you play the VN in a way that causes things to end badly for her (or who would even frown when you'd play through a different girl's route) then yeah, I can see how that prevents one from playing a bad end. But I don't think that mindset is very common or the fanfiction folder would be filled with nothing but fluffyfics because nobody would be able to write anything bad about the characters since it would cause them to scowl at the author from across the digital plane.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Guest Poster wrote:

Heh, note that I didn't say girlfriends...I said 'characters'. Because that's what they are. Characters in a story. Characters you emphatize with, but still...characters in a story. There's only a limited amount of canon things you can learn about them. No, I wouldn't put a real-life girlfriend through a depression just to learn a different side of her, but in real-life you don't have a save and restore button either and the person you're dealing with is a person and not a VN character. You can't get to know them and learn more about them over the years like you would a real-life person. The limited amounts of scenes in the game is all the canon information you'll ever learn about them, so it makes sense to want to know as much about them as possible, including how they act when things go south. You mentioned the word "character study". That's actually what it is to me, even though I like some characters better than others.
This is all very true, but that doesn't have much to do with liking a character, for me at least. It just has to do with learning more about how they respond to Hisao being an ass, which isn't really essential to liking them. I concede that it has value in a character study, but not so much for preferences, at least in my eyes, which is why people might be able to like a character without seeing all of their branches in dialogue. To me, the bad endings aren't even canon anyways, which might also be a factor.

I said "to me" a lot because I want to be clear that there's no "right" way to see this, as an aside. It's just how people prioritize things, and as long as there's a reasoning behind it that makes sense, then it's fine.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

This is all very true, but that doesn't have much to do with liking a character, for me at least. It just has to do with learning more about how they respond to Hisao being an ass, which isn't really essential to liking them. I concede that it has value in a character study, but not so much for preferences, at least in my eyes, which is why people might be able to like a character without seeing all of their branches in dialogue. To me, the bad endings aren't even canon anyways, which might also be a factor.

I said "to me" a lot because I want to be clear that there's no "right" way to see this, as an aside. It's just how people prioritize things, and as long as there's a reasoning behind it that makes sense, then it's fine.
And there's the second biggest flaw in your excuse. They're not responding to Hisao being an ass. Hisao isn't the one that created the problem they're facing and he's not 100% responsible for the bad endings either. Hisao may make a bad decision or two, but the various girls have made more than their share as well.

To me, it sounds like you're still putting them up on a pedestal. They're every bit as flawed as Hisao, if not more so. It's just that the bad endings embraces the flaws of the characters and highlight them. Rather than just leaving you the endings where everything falls into place and works out you get to see what happens when they both mess up too badly. Maybe it's not canon to you, but that just means that they didn't do such-and-such, not that they wouldn't behave that way in certain circumstances.
Not Dead Yet