Anybody else loving the BGM?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ThatsGobbles

Re: Anybody else loving the BGM?

Post by ThatsGobbles »

I'd love to see a FLAC release of the soundtrack when the game is good and done.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Nobody has any reason to use FLAC unless they actually use it for mixing/editing or are for whatever reason constantly burning and ripping audio CDs. Also, "No Derivative Works."

You seriously better have superhuman hearing and audio equipment worth thousands of dollars to be a FLAC whore. 192k MP3 is transparent for most people and equipment; for me it's probably something like 128k because I have shit hearing.
Blue123

Post by Blue123 »

I'm always amazed at how popular the music for KS is. I guess I should say for thanks from me and Nicol.

Although this comes late, for the person who asks what equipment I use, it's a mixture of the following:

Garritan Personal Orchestra
EDIROL ORCHESTRAL
EWQLSO Gold edition
One or two soundfonts that were on hand.
Sibelius5
FL Studio
G0t0

Post by G0t0 »

Okay I need some help with this

Shizune = The Student Counsel
Emi = Standing Tall
Rin = Parity
Lilly = ???
Hanako = ???
Kenji = Out of the Loop
Hiaso = Rain?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

* Shizune's Theme: The Student Council
* Lilly's Theme: Concord
* Hanako's Theme: Painful History
* Rin's Theme: Parity
* Emi's Theme: Standing Tall

From the site.
Malinor

Post by Malinor »

After briefly listening to them all again I have to say I really enjoy--

Afternoon
Daylight
Parity
and Wiosna.

None of the tracks sound bad or annoying to me in any fashion and they all work great for their placement in the game. Those four just stand out to me, especially Parity.
Lawls

Post by Lawls »

Parity
<Aura> "For a long time now, I've thought it doesn't matter one bit whether they are disabled or not."

"But it’s looking like it may actually happen before we all die." - cpl_crud
  • "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare
Silifer

Post by Silifer »

i love the bgm ^^ And strangely enough i didn't get any ( except one or two) moments where the music stop ( which seems to be a main topic of discussion).
Really, dunno if i'm the only one thinking like that but so far katawa shoujo is one of the best VN i've played at so far ( i've seen really bad VN made by pro so your "amateurs" work is really welcomed).
*to the same admin ^^ is it better now? ( for hanako i mean i'm not used to banner this slim )*
>> She looks much better now, thank you. One day people will learn to respect my daughter.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Caesius wrote:* Shizune's Theme: The Student Council
* Lilly's Theme: Concord
* Hanako's Theme: Painful History
* Rin's Theme: Parity
* Emi's Theme: Standing Tall
Misha's Theme: Yakety Sax
Nack

Post by Nack »

Rin's theme is the best song, hands down.
Exdi

Post by Exdi »

Hisao should get a theme song. And I say it be "Kickstart my Heart" by Motley Crue.
Not really a fan of plays on words. I perfer ones on stages.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

I've run through most of the tracks, so... unsolicited opinions time! :3

I'm kinda hoping that some tracks will have arranged versions in the final game, which is why I'm bothering at all even if Nicol isn't on the project anymore.

Generic Happy Music: I tended to mix up this song with The Student Council -- they go together well.

Lullaby of Open Eyes: I like this one. Really, for whatever reason, I like musicbox-style music in general.

Passing of Time: I dunno if this is meant to eventually be listened to in full at some point in the game, but it makes a good 30-seconds-ish piece. However, if properly arranged, I think the base melody could actually carry it for 4 minutes -- and then there'd be no need to make the loop transparent.

Rain: Not quite as good as Shadow of the Truth, but complements it well. Sounds like the Aqua Rock music from Golden Sun 2.

Romance in Andante: I don't particularly like all-piano pieces; I prefer them to have at least a subtle accompaniment. And this one is especially short. Also, when you plan on having a song loop, I think it shouldn't sound like it just ends only to have it start up again -- it's basically the opposite of a DJ ending his mixset with a track that actually sounds unnatural if it doesn't have another track after it. Use only in short bursts.

School Days: Kinda meh for my taste, but I would like to hear the flutey thing in another song with a more prominent role -- maybe with something slightly celtic or folkish.

Shadow of the Truth: Anyone who hears this song during Act 1 will know immediately that they royally fucked up. Powerful, depressing music, and very flexible as well as long enough to carry any depressing sequence -- but should be used sparingly. Reminds me of something you might hear during an RPG dialogue sequence. However, it loops far too abruptly, like it got cut off 90% through the track (and it probably did).

Standing Tall: I think this one should be arranged into something longer and fuller for the more important parts during Emi's path. It takes too long to get to the synthy part, and when it does it's shorter than the buildup, which... kinda doesn't make sense if you're gonna use this track a lot. But used in short bursts it does very well.

Aria de l'etoile: I start this one, hear something beautiful, and listen to the rest of the song hoping that all of the instruments will soon burst forth in a symphony so incredible and emotional as to give me goosebumps. The piano comes close, but the song never achieves what I'm hoping for. I realize not every song like this is meant to make me choke up and cry manly tears, but this particular melody could be arranged to do just that with such minimal effort given the foundation, especially if it were made a minute or two longer to make room for the symphony.

Stride: Somehow I missed this one for months, and I love it -- a close second favorite to The Student Council. It sounds like a smarter version of music you might find in The Sims. All of the instruments -- except, ironically, the drums -- have a confidence and fullness to them. And at the times where the drums go away and the instruments calm down, it builds anticipation for when they come back in a short while. It appears to have a transparent loop, which is good -- all tracks should aspire to loop as well as this track does.

The Student Council: My favorite. It has a full, driving, uplifting sound that really captures the Shizune/Misha pair. Can you tell that I like anthem trance and power metal if this is my favorite song?

Wiosna: Calm, comforting, familiar menu music. Not something I'd deliberately listen to for an extended period of time (like I am now huhuhuhuh), but I don't mind it if I'm browsing through the gallery or whatever. It has a specific job and it does it well.

Keep in mind I'm listening to these through the jukebox, obviously, so my complaints about looping may not carry over to the actual game if F/SN is any indication, though I distinctly remember hearing tracks loop within the game.
Treerik

Post by Treerik »

I think that Parity is a good song to take tension from a situation. Whenever there is an awkward moment, someone should just start playing it.
"I get ignored. Therefore I am"
Seroanth

Post by Seroanth »

When I listen to High Tension, every time I get chills on my back. Perfect conspiracy music.
Painful history good for mood-makin~

Why the hell do I even try, every song is well made and perfect for this VN.

Listening to Painful History once through made me want to play through the whole thing again.
Out of the Loop

Post by Out of the Loop »

Treerik wrote:I think that Parity is a good song to take tension from a situation. Whenever there is an awkward moment, someone should just start playing it.
Ever since I've read this, everytime Parity plays I think, "Man, this song is just so oblivious and upbeat; doing its own thang without a care in the world!"

First song I've noticed was Wiosna, a very pretty song to be greeted with. Then, basically, all of the soundtrack you really do notice. But alas, I've played the soundtrack to death so I am a bit biased.