Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Kibaro

Re: Ask!

Post by Kibaro »

Aura wrote: When we tell about our projects publically it won't be as a reply to a question in this thread.

Has to be us. Someone else might get it wrong.
That last line...is it me or that's Mordin from Mass effect ?:D
Last edited by Kibaro on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

ArcadiaM wrote:I know this has probably been asked but im tired to read through all the questions i just came off playing the game for about 8 hours.
Have any of the members of four leaf studio's started a new project yet and why are you opposed to fan's possibly making a sequel if FLS dont plan too
As Aura pointed out, our new projects are generally announced in places that aren't Ask threads--somewhere (which I do not recall) you can find a great list of our respective twitters, tumblrs, and other forms of communication where new projects are announced (and yes, Harrison Tripp can be found on twitter and on libsyn, as well as any other podcasting deal (podbay, iTunes, etc.).

As to the second question, we're against fans making a sequel because a fan's mentality is usually to want more of the same and to treat existing material as holy scripture--that's just the way fandom works. A good sequel to KS would need to be made by someone without that sort of intense respect for the material (that would be us, if we were to choose to do so). Furthermore, the story is over and done, and needs no officially sanctioned continuation--there's a whole forum full of folk writing sequels for you to check out, if you so desire.

Finally, and on a cynical note, if a fan-made sequel sucked, that damages the whole KS "brand," so to speak. They may wish to charge money, which is not something we would do, and reflect poorly upon our whole enterprise. Frankly, we're against a fan-made sequel because it would not be done to our standards.
SiniisteR

Post by SiniisteR »

Aura wrote:Has to be us. Someone else might get it wrong.
[Quietly fist pumps at reference]
SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:Lilly diddling herself
Lilliddy dillidy doo, bee-boppin' that blind bugaboo.
xhurry

Post by xhurry »

just a quick question out of curiosity, is there any reason for the route with lily be the only one with an epilogue ? Also you devs must hear this a lot, but I need to compliment your great work in this visual novel, really well made.
cheers
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Suriko is the only one who doesn't think that epilogues suck ass.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Atario

Post by Atario »

Conversely from my previous question: have there been any outside criticisms of the game that have gotten under the skins of any of the devs? If so, what were they?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Aura wrote:Suriko is the only one who doesn't think that epilogues suck ass.

What do you think is wrong about epilogues?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Atario wrote:Conversely from my previous question: have there been any outside criticisms of the game that have gotten under the skins of any of the devs? If so, what were they?
Not really. A lot of the criticism leveled at the game is criticism we ourselves leveled at the game--Hisao is kind of a fucking idiot, the writing is super-amateruish in spots etc. etc. Occasionally someone will point out a repeated phrase or description that I leaned on heavily (sweat apparently shows up a lot in Emi's route) and I'll stare in disbelief for a few minutes before realizing that yeah, that's absolutely right. Then I shrug my shoulders, add something else to my "avoid doing this so goddamn much in the future" list, and move on. Even at launch, I at least was pretty willing to admit that the writing could have been better--but at the time that was about the best I could do, and thinking endlessly about what could have been better is a road upon which I prefer not to travel.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

ArcCain wrote:
Aura wrote:Suriko is the only one who doesn't think that epilogues suck ass.

What do you think is wrong about epilogues?
An epilogue, especially one after the credits roll, is just an arbitrary way to lengthen a story, or I guess a way to ensure folks see all the credits. If you wanted to end your story somewhere else, just fucking end it somewhere else. You don't need to pick up after we've seen the end of the narrative arc. Like that god-awful Harry Potter ending. Good lord, what a sour note to end things on--"and then they all had babies and named them after their dead parents and friends" is lame as hell. It's the sort of thing that you'd see on fanfiction.net, not in a goddamn published novel. Childish shit.

Time skips are kind of lazy too, especially when combined with epilogues. A time skip in the middle of a narrative is fine, and can shake things up and get a lot done (see the...third season(I think?) of Battlestar Galactica for a good example) while giving your characters new things to do, but they will always feel a bit rushed to me. Time skipping in an epilogue is even worse, because it is literally just saying "and they lived happily ever after," except instead of just coming out and saying that you self-indulgently take a sort of victory lap with the characters.

That said, Emi's bad end used to feature a fairly large time skip, but I was talked out of it. It was probably the right decision.

Suriko, obviously, does not share my antipathy towards epilogues, and that is of course absolutely fine. The path was his to write, and he wrote it in the way he wanted to, and people seem to like it so that all worked out for the best, don't you think?
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Speaking of overused phrases, how did A22's abuse of "pistoning" in H-scenes ever get past the editors?
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

TheHivemind wrote:Suriko, obviously, does not share my antipathy towards epilogues, and that is of course absolutely fine. The path was his to write, and he wrote it in the way he wanted to, and people seem to like it so that all worked out for the best, don't you think?
Hmm, I can understand what you are getting at with the, "if its over its over" way of seeing it. I guess epilogues are meant to add more closure to a story?

Personally, I always felt that Lilly's path was like a traditional, "boy meets blind girl" movie. It had some clichés, yes, but if I remember correctly that's what Raita noted on Lilly. Plus it was nice with a more "classic" love story make it in to KS. Of-course, you could say that Emi's path was, at times, "classic" as well.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

ArcCain wrote:
Hmm, I can understand what you are getting at with the, "if its over its over" way of seeing it. I guess epilogues are meant to add more closure to a story?

Personally, I always felt that Lilly's path was like a traditional, "boy meets blind girl" movie. It had some clichés, yes, but if I remember correctly that's what Raita noted on Lilly. Plus it was nice with a more "classic" love story make it in to KS. Of-course, you could say that Emi's path was, at times, "classic" as well.
the anal part was the most classic part i'd say:)) but yeah agreed with you on lilly:) i'm the boring guy who loves the classic boy meets girl and normal love story in a VN with all kinds of love storie..emi's was great as well:D i find girls like emi who go you should kiss me already before the bell rings interesting :))
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

bhtooefr wrote:Speaking of overused phrases, how did A22's abuse of "pistoning" in H-scenes ever get past the editors?
This made me blink and check. The word or its derivatives crop up exactly twice, in two separate acts of Shizune's path.

If you think using that twice is abuse, I don't know what to tell you. :?:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Using it in Misha's scene, which is supposed to be awkward, I can excuse.

When I saw it in Shizune's second H-scene, though, I facepalmed.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
xhurry

Post by xhurry »

I really agree on the harry potter one, that epilogue looked very childish (my opnion of course). Though, I think epilogues can be useful, if they enrich your story or add some value that exists beyond the main storyline or if your ending raises more questions than it answers. Not saying that the lilly one was bad either, it was reasonable for me.