Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Forever_ambivalent

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Kibaro wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:
Theres a scene where Lilly explains that she dreams in sounds and smells I believe.
yeah that's the one, and also sounds reaaaly interesting to be honest:D
It's not that strange or interesting. It's pretty common for me to dream about listening classic music. Those are the only decent dreams I can have. Normally my dreams are pretty realistic. Actually there was one time where I thought an actual day had passed due to my dream and packed the wrong books for school. I dream about a normal day.
Nightmares are the most terrifying things though. It's really disturbing to dream of human vivisection and torture without being able to do anything.

I think Rin would dream about art. Maybe she dreams being as free as a cloud and doing whatever she wants.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

Forever_ambivalent wrote: It's not that strange or interesting. It's pretty common for me to dream about listening classic music. Those are the only decent dreams I can have. Normally my dreams are pretty realistic. Actually there was one time where I thought an actual day had passed due to my dream and packed the wrong books for school. I dream about a normal day.
Nightmares are the most terrifying things though. It's really disturbing to dream of human vivisection and torture without being able to do anything.

I think Rin would dream about art. Maybe she dreams being as free as a cloud and doing whatever she wants.
well for someone who dreams extremely rare and somewhat normal i guess, having dreams where you can only hear or smell but not see seem interesting and fascinating :)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Kibaro wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote: It's not that strange or interesting. It's pretty common for me to dream about listening classic music. Those are the only decent dreams I can have. Normally my dreams are pretty realistic. Actually there was one time where I thought an actual day had passed due to my dream and packed the wrong books for school. I dream about a normal day.

well for someone who dreams extremely rare and somewhat normal i guess, having dreams where you can only hear or smell but not see seem interesting and fascinating :)
I have never smelled a dream. Seems like a different experience.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

SpunkySix wrote:
I have never smelled a dream. Seems like a different experience.
i didn't say to smell a dream, i said to have a dream where you can only hear or smell:)
Forever_ambivalent

I wonder if Yamaku would accept people who can taste what they see and the like. I can't remember what the condition is called but its pretty interesting.
Must be pretty hard for them to play games.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:I wonder if Yamaku would accept people who can taste what they see and the like. I can't remember what the condition is called but its pretty interesting.
you mean like looking at a chocolate and feeling the chocolaty taste in your mouth?
that's more like the opposite of a disability:p like a 6th sense:D that would be interesting and cool :D
Forever_ambivalent

Come to mention, what kind of disabilities does Yamaku accept. It's said that they do not accept mentally disabled people yet they have a lady with epilepsy and another with narcolepsy. What do they mean by mentally disabled? Personality disorders and the like? But that also seems to be wrong because of Hanako...
It couldn't mean to reject people who have dyslexia and the like could it? That would be very stupid because a school like Yamaku could easily cater for their needs as well.
Do they reject people with stuff like High-functioning autism, down syndrome, MDD and so such?
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Come to mention, what kind of disabilities does Yamaku accept. It's said that they do not accept mentally disabled people yet they have a lady with epilepsy and another with narcolepsy. What do they mean by mentally disabled? Personality disorders and the like? But that also seems to be wrong because of Hanako...
It couldn't mean to reject people who have dyslexia and the like could it? That would be very stupid because a school like Yamaku could easily cater for their needs as well.
Do they reject people with stuff like High-functioning autism, down syndrome, MDD and so such?
yeah last line, i think the severe, never recovering mental disabilities :(
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Epilepsy and narcolepsy aren't mental disabilities.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder

Essentially, a neurological disorder (epilepsy, narcolepsy, dyslexia all count) isn't necessarily a mental disorder.

As far as Hanako... well, that's a stronger argument, but I'm wondering if the threshold for a diagnosis would be higher in Japan than in western nations, but below that threshold, treatment still being available.

It's clear that Yamaku has mental health treatment resources - Hanako mentions using them, even, and it makes perfect sense that they would have such resources. After all, consider how many students they have that suffer from PTSD (*cough*Emi*cough*). And, more exactly applicable to Hanako's situation... they may well have experience with students that were bullied due to their disability, especially given that it's Japan we're talking about. I suspect that what was meant was that they won't accept students whose only problem is mental health issues, or maybe even mental health issues that aren't related to their disability. And, there's probably exceptions for that everywhere - Hanako's disability isn't her burns at all, it's completely her anxiety and depression, but if you were in charge of putting her in the school most appropriate for her, where would you put her? I sure as hell wouldn't put her in a school that specialized in mental health treatment, and I went to one (an American one, but still). She needs a place that is safe from bullying (and the bullying being due to her scars - physical damage), to heal from elementary and middle school, and regain trust in people, as part of her treatment plan. That isn't a mental health school, where she's MORE likely to be bullied for being a freak, it's a disabled school, where everyone else has physical disabilities (so she doesn't particularly stand out) and relatively stable mental health.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Forever_ambivalent

Kibaro wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:Come to mention, what kind of disabilities does Yamaku accept. It's said that they do not accept mentally disabled people yet they have a lady with epilepsy and another with narcolepsy. What do they mean by mentally disabled? Personality disorders and the like? But that also seems to be wrong because of Hanako...
yeah last line, i think the severe, never recovering mental disabilities :(
Some forms of autism just mean that somebody doesn't want to talk, has pretty crap motor abilities and has hyperacusis and/or photophobia. Yamaku should be fine for them. It would also make no sense for Yamaku to reject them either since they deal with people who are deaf, have a few limbs missing and have tinnitus.
Also (was searching for this for quite a while. All these different kinds of Agnosia can make it a pain in the neck) what about certain neurological disorders that may heavily affect how one acts in society such as Auditory agnosia and social-emotional agnosia. Not understanding non-verbal communication and the like would affect how you act in society very strongly. Admittedly, I know hardly anything about it so I may be wrong. Seems pretty interesting though.

Also screwed up with Epilepsy and narcolepsy :? Sorry about that. Sometimes I get confused between neurological and mental disorders. Was being stupid. Sorry.

I wonder if Yamaku would reject somebody who has personality disorders. Sadomasochistic fanwork here I come!
Last edited by Forever_ambivalent on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Potato wrote:Rin's are probably odd.
Rin thinks during the day about surreal things, then goes to sleep at night and dreams about tax returns and urban planning.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I wonder if Yamaku would reject somebody who has personality disorders. Sadomasochistic fanwork here I come!
Probably. Yamaku's mostly equipped to help students deal with physical disabilities and their therapists probably specialize in PTSD since quite a few students probably have a disfigurement/condition due to an accident. They don't have the staff to deal with a wide variety of mental disorders, so they don't accept students suffering from those. If they don't have the facilities to help those students, there's no point in accepting them.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Kibaro wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:I wonder if Yamaku would accept people who can taste what they see and the like. I can't remember what the condition is called but its pretty interesting.
you mean like looking at a chocolate and feeling the chocolaty taste in your mouth?
that's more like the opposite of a disability:p like a 6th sense:D that would be interesting and cool :D
The condition is called synesthesia, and it comes in several different varieties, some cooler than others :|.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Forever_ambivalent

Guest Poster wrote:
Probably. Yamaku's mostly equipped to help students deal with physical disabilities and their therapists probably specialize in PTSD since quite a few students probably have a disfigurement/condition due to an accident. They don't have the staff to deal with a wide variety of mental disorders, so they don't accept students suffering from those. If they don't have the facilities to help those students, there's no point in accepting them.
So Yamaku accepts everyone that has a physical related disability and/or has anxiety issues due to an accident.
That makes sense.
That would mean they would refuse some neurological disorders and accept some 'mental' disorders.