Why have so many people taken Hanako's route first?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Potato

Re: Why have so many people taken Hanako's route first?

Post by Potato »

RavynousHunter wrote:irritatingly perky (like Emi and Misha)
What part of being perky made them irritating? I'd wager someone being perpetually paranoid and skittish is far more bothersome. And I would know. My new dog still won't let me pet it. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

I can't quite say...I mean I suppose I could...

Just from my eyes? She's pretty and shy..I myself am quite the shy wallflower (Minus the burn scars)

I suppose just from a..perspective she spoke to me the most. The shy wallflower only having /very/ few friends and treasuring those she does have, Even if it's two people...Scared to let anyone else in and hurt her from being years of being bullied.

She simply melted my heart with her story arc. Most notably when I bought her the flower decoration for her phone and she said "Friends..." Oh god :(

There is just this...Shy,Cute,Innocence about her and just like Lily and Hisao...I want to shelter her from anymore pain, And just see her happy! ^^
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Sohtak wrote:I want to shelter her from anymore pain
Someone hasn't gotten her bad end yet...
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Uhh, I'm pretty sure the entire point of the route is that you shouldn't do that.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Oh boy... :twisted:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

bhtooefr wrote:
Oh no I did, It was funnily enough the first ending I got :P

But I wasn't happy until I got the good ending
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Someone should pay attention to Misstep again. ;) And maybe get the neutral ending, too, although it doesn't beat you over the head with it like Misstep does.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Potato

Post by Potato »

Sohtak wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:
Oh no I did, It was funnily enough the first ending I got :P

But I wasn't happy until I got the good ending
:lol: As long as you realize your mistake.
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

Hisao went FAR further with that ending than I originally expected. I /thought/ he would go visit her anyway, Say hi and see if she was up for anything and if she said no he would be like "Okay, Fine I'll go" I realized the mistake when he kept pushing and pushing and pushing and pushing, Until she went over the edge :P

That was a no-no, A BIG no-no
Atario

Post by Atario »

FelOnyx wrote:
Uhh, I'm pretty sure the entire point of the route is that you shouldn't do that.
Well, it's that you shouldn't just do that.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Potato

Post by Potato »

Sohtak wrote:Hisao went FAR further with that ending than I originally expected. I /thought/ he would go visit her anyway, Say hi and see if she was up for anything and if she said no he would be like "Okay, Fine I'll go" I realized the mistake when he kept pushing and pushing and pushing and pushing, Until she went over the edge :P

:lol: Just wait until Shizune's bad end. Most don't see it coming...Though, personally, I think you gotta be kinda thick to not expect what happens there. :lol:
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
Sohtak wrote:Hisao went FAR further with that ending than I originally expected. I /thought/ he would go visit her anyway, Say hi and see if she was up for anything and if she said no he would be like "Okay, Fine I'll go" I realized the mistake when he kept pushing and pushing and pushing and pushing, Until she went over the edge :P

:lol: Just wait until Shizune's bad end. Most don't see it coming...Though, personally, I think you gotta be kinda thick to not expect what happens there. :lol:
Here's a hint: You get one in the pink.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
C4H8Cl2S

Post by C4H8Cl2S »

The other characters didn't really have much internal turmoil going on. Even the most out of the loop character, Kenji, was still focused on the external: feminist takeovers, undercover spies, and mind control plots.

Hanako was different.

Every other datable character gave the impression that, no matter their disability, they still had a pretty good handle on dealing with the world around them. All but the girl who, after the smallest of small talk, panicked and ran off. It was immediately apparent: there was something more going on within Hanako, invisible beneath her charred skin.

And so I chased Hanako and she became my first route.
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

My reading of the Bad Ending is more complicated than "Hisao was being an overbearing White Knight that couldn't respect the fact that Hanako's a strong, independent woman that don't need no man." Yeah, his behavior was overboard; pushing the issue close to a dozen times was far too much, and he should have backed off long before then. With that said, the main reason that the perceived overprotectiveness from Hisao and Lilly touched such a nerve is because Hanako's a massively insecure person. She doesn't seem to think of herself as having many good points, and with that she can sometimes read things into the feelings and motives of others that aren't there - namely that the existence of pity (which does exist in Hisao's case, but might or might not with Lilly) completely nullifies the potential for any genuine fondness. Hisao's behavior, if extended towards someone with much healthier self-esteem, wouldn't be nearly as damaging.

Even without those extenuating circumstances, I don't think Hanako would want that sort of protective element present in a romantic relationship. I think she simply wants an equal partnership with someone who loves her. But if she truly felt secure that her partner liked Hanako for Hanako, I think she would find the occasional "I want to protect you" sentiment much more tolerable than the Hanako of the Bad Ending, who wasn't secure in her relationships with Hisao or Lilly or in the belief that anyone liked Hanako for Hanako.

I don't really find anything wrong with Sohtak's post, though. I don't think those sort of protective impulses are bad. It's natural to want to help others in areas where they're deprived, when they don't necessarily want to be deprived - in this case, bringing warmth and human contact to someone that has a pretty barren life. It wasn't uncommon at the schools I went to for good-natured kids that had friends to invite kids that seemed friendless and lonely into their social circles. It's just important to make sure that you're genuinely fond of the person in and of themselves, and that you recognize not just their more pitiable traits like being fragile or insecure or having a sad past, but all of the ways in which they're strong, resilient, charming, insightful, whatever.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

People also tend to confuse what they know about Hanako with what Hisao knows. If you get the bad ending, you missed some critical character development between Hisao and Hanako.

If they don't go to town together, Hisao doesn't see that there's more to Hanako than he thinks and that she's stronger than he belives.

Hanako doesn't learn about how they spent all day looking for her present, telling her that they really did care, they weren't just putting forth a token effort. When Hisao changing the subject, he talks about her learning to drive, suggesting to her that he belives she's actually capable of more than she shows.

Without that, when Hanako locks herself in her room and looks like the walking dead, Hisao's thoughts aren't "she's stronger than she looks" the thinks "She really needs help and I have to do something."

Of course most people also seem to miss the point in Hanako's route anyway. It's not that you shouldn't watch out for her and protect her. Hanako really does need help in her route. She needs protection and somewhere to feel safe. She just doesn't need it all the time and she has to come to accept the fact that people are there for her not out of pity, but because they really care, and that Hisao needs her as much as she needs him.
Not Dead Yet