Hey, it's almost Father's Day now

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Hey, it's almost Father's Day now

Post by SpunkySix »

And it's a time to celebrate some pretty cool people that we all call 'Dad'. After a close call, I certainly will be. That being said, this is a rough time for some people who are not as fortunate. Obviously this was spotlighted in Emi's route, but I think there's an important connection to real life there too. People really have lost parents to accidents, sickness and war. If you know anybody like that, I'd like to challenge you to try and make a little extra effort to make them feel okay. It doesn't have to be anything big, just... do something, even if it's as minor as tossing an extra compliment their way. As we've seen, some people try to hide their pain and can do a pretty good job of it, but deep down they hurt. A small bit of kindness can go a long way with people like that, and they just might need it.

Also, take some time to appreciate what you have still, for those that do have their fathers with them. They do so much for us, and not everybody is fortunate enough to have them around. Even if you have an uneasy relationship, try to reach out some. You never know when you'll lose your chance forever, and even the smallest of gestures can make things just a little bit better.

"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Munchenhausen

Re: Hey, it's almost Father's Day now

Post by Munchenhausen »

I fucking love my Dad.
When my Mum moved out and took my sisters, I was the one to stay with him. I was there.
When I was kicked out of school, he was the one to get me a job alongside him. He was there.
On the Reenactment Battlefields, He picks me up and I pick him right back up after.
I'm going to name my son after him, like he named me after his Dad. We're all named Michael. It's confusing.

God bless you, Dad.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Not gonna lie, I did think for a moment there your dad was Chris Moyles :P
But that was genuinely a lovely tribute to your dad, made me feel all fuzzy.

Think I'll try and make an effort with my dad tomorrow. We don't have a bad relationship, he's just utterly averse to outward displays of affection (and as consequence, with him I am). I might see if he needs help doing something in the garden, I think he'd appreciate that.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I'm guess I'm lucky to have a good dad. We don't have the most amazing relationship, though it's improved now that I'm older. He is very convinced of his own opinions and ideas, which grates against my much more laid back personality (he doesn't carry a sword, though)

I say 'lucky' as I know people whose dads abandoned them and moved away, or were violent abusive drunks. We only talk about their dads when they bring it up.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Not gonna lie, I did think for a moment there your dad was Chris Moyles :P
Oh for fuck's sake... Literally everyone I know says that :lol: Although I can't see it, personally :P
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

We have our father's day on another day in Iran (it's on a very historically important day) so we don't celebrate it tomorrow.
I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful father. He has gone through too much especially for our family to survive through the terrible ordeal it has gone through. Well fortunately, now he does not need to go through such terrible things again and can do what he has always wanted to do without much restraint once again.

Happy father's day to all those father's out there who celebrate it on the third Sunday of June. I wish the best for those without fathers.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Eh, my father's alright. There's a fair bit of unspoken resentment from my end due to certain happenings but otherwise...He kept food and a roof paid for at all times, at least. I tend to describe him as "a good provider but a shit parent".
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:We have our father's day on another day in Iran (it's on a very historically important day) so we don't celebrate it tomorrow.
Excuse my ignorance then. Mind elaborating?
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

SpunkySix wrote:
Forever_ambivalent wrote:We have our father's day on another day in Iran (it's on a very historically important day) so we don't celebrate it tomorrow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father's_Day#Iran
wikipedia wrote:Father's day in Iran is celebrated on the birth day of Imam Ali (AS), the first Imam of Shiite, at 13th Rajab. It is an occasion to complement mother's day and to celebrate Manhood.
I do love seeing Farsi written in English. Very humorous.
It's celebrated very much in Iran. It's like a second birthday for father's.
Ah yes, now I have to prepare myself against the numerous comments of discrimination and prejudice that should be coming. I wonder how many people here mix up nuclear power stations and nuclear bombs?
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father's_Day#Iran
wikipedia wrote:Father's day in Iran is celebrated on the birth day of Imam Ali (AS), the first Imam of Shiite, at 13th Rajab. It is an occasion to complement mother's day and to celebrate Manhood.
I do love seeing Farsi written in English. Very humorous.
It's celebrated very much in Iran. It's like a second birthday for father's.
Ah yes, now I have to prepare myself against the numerous comments of discrimination and prejudice that should be coming. I wonder how many people here mix up nuclear power stations and nuclear bombs?
I'd like to think we're better than that here :)
Also, thanks for igniting an interest in the Islamic calendar. I've been reading about it and it's pretty interesting - the idea that a new day begins at sunset makes more sense than the Gregorian calendar I think.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

81pi81

Post by 81pi81 »

I started writing a short fanfic two weeks ago, and I just thought I should finish it and post it today. enjoy!
Atario

Post by Atario »

81pi81 wrote:I started writing a short fanfic two weeks ago, and I just thought I should finish it and post it today. enjoy!
Uhhh… that's quite a Father's Day snapshot
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Potato

Post by Potato »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Ah yes, now I have to prepare myself against the numerous comments of discrimination and prejudice that should be coming. I wonder how many people here mix up nuclear power stations and nuclear bombs?
Assuming, based on nothing, that everyone around here is a discriminatory prejudiced asshole and too thick to differentiate between two entirely different things. That totally doesn't make you an unbelievably shitty person. Not at all. THIS is an insult.

Nice fanfic, 81pi81. :mrgreen:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

So... how'd it go? Anybody wanna share?
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:So... how'd it go? Anybody wanna share?
Pretty good over here. Good day with good food. Better Father's Day than Tywin Lannister had.