Why have so many people taken Hanako's route first?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Forever_ambivalent

Why have so many people taken Hanako's route first?

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

According to this Hanako's route is the second most popular route to take first (and only marginally smaller than first most popular route). But I just don't understand why.

Rin is a very strange character and basically enslaves you at one point during act 1. I found her very alluring and thus I took her route first. She has a pretty big role in act 1.
Shizune and Misha... Well they are obvious. Pretty darn major character's in act 1. It's not hard to guess why people might take her route first and it's not hard to guess why a lot of people don't want to go down her route first as well.
Emi is the cute bubbly character that is very nice and sweet in act 1. She has a large role in act 1 as well. It's pretty easy to figure out why so many people chose her route first.
It's also not hard to guess why so many people chose Lilly's route first either. Although it is a lot less than I expected. Perhaps because of Hanako?

But I never understood why so many people chose Hanako first. She hardly appears in act 1 and you barely know anything about her at first. I didn't know enough about her to make me curious about her. The only reason I took an interest in her was because of Lilly's route and even afterwards I ended up choosing Shizune over Hanako (because that scene where Shizune hugged Lilly before she left really touched my heart). I thought most people would perhaps choose Hanako after they do Lilly's route because after Lilly's route you know a lot more about Hanako.
But that isn't true. A lot of people chose Hanako's route first and I am puzzled. It's not like I don't like Hanako in fact I really like her. I just do not understand what caused so many people to go down Hanako's route first.

Perhaps there were some subtle hints that I didn't manage to pick up on (I find it pretty hard to pick up hints sometimes). Perhaps it's because of Lilly's good end where Hisao, Lilly and Hanako stick together for the rest of their lives and are all happy (I know it's not canon but it's what I like to think). Perhaps because I thought that, I was reluctant of going down Hanako's route because I didn't want to know more about her and that could perhaps destroy this perfect imagery of Hisao, Lilly and Hanako all staying together and having an almost free and happy life.
I just never knew enough about Hanako to get interested in her. The main reason I actually went down her route is because I heard little spoilers about her story and was intrigued to see what her story actually was and because she was the last route I had to go through. I did want to find out what happened to her that made her so reclusive and what created her scars but I never expected something so intense. I feel as though there is almost nothing in act 1 that tells you about Hanako.

I am guessing that quite a few chose Hanako because she is an introverted, shy cute girl who "needs to be protected". Simply because so many people seem to like Hanako because she has a tragic past and because she looks cute and... oh wait that's it. It's really weird (and annoying) considering that a part of KS's story is that you should judge somebody based on who they are rather than other stuff (like disabilities and problems in the past). Now getting back ontopic.

Basically, what made you choose Hanako's route. Even if Hanako's route wasn't your first, I would still like to know what made you choose Hanako's route.
Munchenhausen

Re: Why have so many people taken Hanako's route first?

Post by Munchenhausen »

As far as I'm aware, Emi's route is the most commonly first because most people answer the choices with their own personal opinions.
Knowing that, I was assuming no other route would be that close, since nobody wants to be a dick and quit jogging at the first given opportunity.
I didn't get the chance to have a full read, but do many of those Hanako votes seem to mistake 'First route played' for 'first route I actively went to play'? Might just be a case of misreading the question.

For me when I played Hanako's route, it was just on a whim. Rather a "Oh, who shall I do next? Hmmmmmm... I'll go for her, why not" kind of deal.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
poopooface

Post by poopooface »

I chose Hanako's route first because she's really fuckin' cute and sweet and innocent and every girl I know in real life is a total bitch and cunt. So I wanted a change from real life and Shizune seemed like a total bitch and cunt at the time. And I wanted to do Lilly's route later because I already had a huge part spoiled, plus Rin gave me a headache and I just liked Hanako more than Emi.
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Munchenhausen wrote:As far as I'm aware, Emi's route is the most commonly first because most people answer the choices with their own personal opinions.
Knowing that, I was assuming no other route would be that close, since nobody wants to be a dick and quit jogging at the first given opportunity.
I didn't get the chance to have a full read, but do many of those Hanako votes seem to mistake 'First route played' for 'first route I actively went to play'? Might just be a case of misreading the question.

For me when I played Hanako's route, it was just on a whim. Rather a "Oh, who shall I do next? Hmmmmmm... I'll go for her, why not" kind of deal.
Eh I went down Rin's route on my first go and I only used personal opinions. I accepted the jogging thing but I didn't want to get a heart attack. I didn't expect Hisao to just give up jogging (wow is he dramatic. It's either get a heart attack or give up jogging). Funny thing is, is that on my second go I also tried to go based on my personal opinion as well and I tried to avoid Rin so that I wouldn't go down her route twice. I somehow ended up on Rin's route again :? Decided to get some help on the first half of act 1 so that I could get onto Lilly's route.

I just want to know why people chose Hanako's route in general. If there is any specific reason for it (which is your case doesn't seem to be so :( ).
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Can't speak for everybody, but my friend was drawn to her because she looked cute and he likes shy girls.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I guess because Hanako's always been a popular character, even before the full version came out. People were simply eager to continue her story.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Because she's so meek and demure and non-threatening.

She's all quiet and bookish and doesn't socialize and is shy. Romantically inexperienced neckbeards Many soon-to-be KS fans go ZOMG JUST LIKE ME and are drawn to this.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

metalangel wrote:Romantically inexperienced neckbeards
Whoa, whoa. Whoa.

I do not have a neckbeard.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

SpunkySix wrote:
Whoa, whoa. Whoa.

Me neither, though I fear it's due to the fact my upper body is still convinced I'm 14 -_-

I can understand why people took Hanako's route first, and to be honest when I first investigated KS it was Hanako that I was drawn to first as well - adorable, shy and dark haired were my drawing points I think. As it happened, I went in blind and got Emi first, so everything went better than expected ;)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

poopooface

Post by poopooface »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
Whoa, whoa. Whoa.

Me neither, though I fear it's due to the fact my upper body is still convinced I'm 14 -_-

I can understand why people took Hanako's route first, and to be honest when I first investigated KS it was Hanako that I was drawn to first as well - adorable, shy and dark haired were my drawing points I think. As it happened, I went in blind and got Emi first, so everything went better than expected ;)
Unfortunately, it's the same for me on the other end of my body if you know what I mean. :lol:
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
Whoa, whoa. Whoa.

I had the exact same experience, although I was at a disadvantage... the only picture of Emi I saw made her look like a middle schooler.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

For the record, I did want to get Hanako's route on my first playthrough. At first glance, she just seamed like a shy girl who wanted to hide from the masses at large for some reason or another. Personally living through that myself though school, I wanted to get to know her better but the instinct of survival over a heart condition struck another and stronger personal cord in me which eventually led to me reading Emi's route first.

Also for the record metalangel, While it's true I have little personal experience in terms of romance and originally felt drawn to Hanako, the only thing I truly squee for is Mass Effect. :lol:
brythain

Post by brythain »

I got a manly picnic first time, Lilly good-ending second time, and then deviated a bit and got Hanako meh-ending third time.

Why Hanako? Well, I like quiet girls who don't make everything a competition, so that got rid of Emi and Shizune I think. Rin's route isn't easy to get onto in the first place.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:I got a manly picnic first time
Do you need a hug? :(
Ritter Delorges

Post by Ritter Delorges »

I think it also helps that you (at least seem to) get a pretty clear idea of what to expect from her route right from the start. With the other girls you get a first impression of their character, but at least I had no clear idea what to expect before the decision was made.